Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jay Glazer Twitter: Eagles, Browns agree to trade for RB Harrison.

Oldskool

http://nflbuzz.yardbarker.com/

Eagles and Browns Swap Running Backs-2:59 p.m.

4 minutes ago by FOXSports

As first reported by FOXSports.com’s Jay Glazer, the Cleveland Browns and Philadelphia Eagles have exchanged running backs.

Cleveland traded Jerome Harrison to Philadelphia for Mike Bell.

Bell never seemed to fit in with Philadelphia’s West Coast offensive scheme, but he’ll in better with Cleveland’s power based rushing attack.

Harrison’s role had decreased in recent weeks in favor of FB Peyton Hillis, who has become Cleveland’s main ball carrier. However, with Hillis dealing with a lingering thigh injury, Bell could see playing time right away.

Philadelphia’s running scheme is more zone based, a source said, so Harrison’s ability to make one cut and get up field should be a better fit for his talent.

Harrison (5-9, 205) has played in 51 career games for the Browns, racking up 1,401 rushing yards and six touchdowns on 302 carries (4.6 average), while adding 61 catches for 444 yards and three touchdowns.

Last year, Harrison led the team with 194 carries for 862 yards and five touchdowns, and tied for the team lead with 34 receptions for 220 yards and two touchdowns. Over the final three games of the season, he amassed a league-high 561 rushing yards and five touchdowns, including a 286-yard effort on 12/20/09 at Kansas City, which ranks as the third-highest single-game rushing total in NFL history, trailing only Adrian Peterson (296 yards on 11/4/07 vs. San Diego) and Jamal Lewis (9/14/03 vs. Cleveland). The 27-year-old Harrison also holds Cleveland’s team record with 39 carries on 12/27/09 vs. Oakland.

Both Harrison and Bell are playing on one-year deals.

-Adam Caplan

Eh, looking at the stats on him, I don't know if Eagles fans should get too excited about him. His runs at the end of the season came against some of the worst rushing defenses in the NFL last year. (KC, Oakland, Jacksonville) The 100+ yards against Cincy is somewhat impressive, but the stats this year are not.

He's probably an upgrade over Bell, but that's about it.

Eh, looking at the stats on him, I don't know if Eagles fans should get too excited about him. His runs at the end of the season came against some of the worst rushing defenses in the NFL last year. (KC, Oakland, Jacksonville) The 100+ yards against Cincy is somewhat impressive, but the stats this year are not.

He's probably an upgrade over Bell, but that's about it.

obviously not a world beater.. otherwise he would be starting in Cleveland...

at the end of the day, however, Eagles made an improvement in their RB depth IMHO.

I was shocked when the Eagles went with Bell as McCoy's backup. Weaver was the only other real threat. Once Weaver went down it was evident they needed to make a move. Bringing in Harrison unfortunately is a solid move. I just don't understand why AR went with Ball to begin with!

I was shocked when the Eagles went with Bell as McCoy's backup. Weaver was the only other real threat. Once Weaver went down it was evident they needed to make a move. Bringing in Harrison unfortunately is a solid move. I just don't understand why AR went with Ball to begin with!

In hindsight, LT would have been an excellent choice, assuming AR would want to invest that much in a backup RB.

In hindsight, LT would have been an excellent choice, assuming AR would want to invest that much in a backup RB.

Not one of the positions he like to remain deep with.

Backup RB, LB, backup QB. He usually goes a little light on those in favor of other positions. Of course, it hasn't really worked with offensive line lately. Backup QB worked out ok, but it was a risk reward thing with Vick. They really did not have to invest that much.

I think the trade works for both teams. Neither looks great, but maybe in different systems they will capture their individual strengths. Harrison is not a power runner. Bell would fit CLE better. The big key for the Eagles will be Harrisons blocking ability, and his ability to pick up Andy's offense.

Archived