Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

To me the question is simple. Jackson or Austin

Son of Gadsden

Our receivers are simply trash. So far its been the Moss/Cooley show with a side of Armstrong. Galloway gets random 50/50 deep shots.

We need to fix this and with Thomas being cut, youve got to wonder who steps up for his spot. i know williams replaced him....but i dont buy it. i think that was a quick action before GB. Count on another receiver being added to the team, and i believe it comes this week. In my mind your choice is trade a draft pick for Vincent Jackson or bring Terrence Austin up from the PS.

Who would you rather have? Jackson, the proven receiver, or Austin the rookie in training?

Yes i am aware of the Vincent Jackson thread, but this isnt about him, im more centering on Austin.

if we get vjax any shread of hope i had with the new regime will be lost. dude is a moron with 1 strike left before he is suspended for a season, if he is lucky that during that strike he doesnt kill someone. keep the draft pick. we are not a super bowl team with vjax. just like we are not now that we have mcnabb. draft o line, wr or qb. best of those positions. we need that. badly. bring up terrance austin since we got rid of our other young guy. man its a good thing miles austin did so well right off the bat and didnt wait 3 years to do well.....wait...what?

if we get vjax any shread of hope i had with the new regime will be lost. dude is a moron with 1 strike left before he is suspended for a season, if he is lucky that during that strike he doesnt kill someone. keep the draft pick. we are not a super bowl team with vjax. just like we are not now that we have mcnabb. draft o line, wr or qb. best of those positions. we need that. badly. bring up terrance austin since we got rid of our other young guy. man its a good thing miles austin did so well right off the bat and didnt wait 3 years to do well.....wait...what?

You don't think that BA and Shanny could keep him in line?

I think you may underestimate the power of our staff.

You lost me at "our receivers are simply trash"

No they aren't. Moss is still good, Armstrong is versatile, and Galloway usually has his guy beat, those passes will land for TDs here and there. Cooley is still a beast, Davis makes appearances, and SELLERS routinely comes in for big catches for first downs.

I'm sorry we don't have a SUPERSTAR receiver. A lot of teams don't. Washington fans need to get this 'me me me, we need the best player' thing out of their heads, things are different now. **** other teams receivers, were going to make our own.

If I had to pick, its Austin because he won't cost a draft pick. Easy

Today, despite winning, was the last straw for me in terms of the possible effectiveness of the "win now" plan.

What I'm saying is, if our coaches were to trade for VJ and try to "win now", I don't think it would work very well. I've always thought this, but today's game, even against a good (but injured) GB team, proved to me, for real, that we need our draft picks. If we can't do it with players, don't trade for VJ.

I'm still a believer that getting value is the most important thing, so if you can trade a 3rd + player, or less, for VJ, I'd be okay with it. But as that won't happen, I'd much rather draft a stud next year in the second round, at ANY position, and just get VJ in FA or another guy there.

Uh Austin is not 27...

Beat me to it. I'm think he was thinking about Armstrong.

Austin is 22 I believe, but I don't think these moves are remotely comparative, though I don't think that's the OPs point.

If we could trade for VJ then great, but I don't even think Smith is willing to give him up for anything. I think he just wants to stick it to him. Austin costs no draft picks, and more than likely never turns into anything even remotely like VJ. Jackson costs us 2 high picks and plays like an all pro. I don't like the thought of giving up two high picks, so I say no. I'm not a "win now" proponent this season. I think we've got 2 years or more before we're a serious contender.

Our receivers are simply trash. So far its been the Moss/Cooley show with a side of Armstrong. Galloway gets random 50/50 deep shots.

We need to fix this and with Thomas being cut, youve got to wonder who steps up for his spot. i know williams replaced him....but i dont buy it. i think that was a quick action before GB. Count on another receiver being added to the team, and i believe it comes this week. In my mind your choice is trade a draft pick for Vincent Jackson or bring Terrence Austin up from the PS.

Who would you rather have? Jackson, the proven receiver, or Austin the rookie in training?

Yes i am aware of the Vincent Jackson thread, but this isnt about him, im more centering on Austin.

Mr Synder. I enjoyed you interview the other day but Mr Shanny is going well. Please keep you noise out of things. It is working so far.

At this point we are just going to wait until FA to sign him. The Redskins had reportedly (I belive according to Jay Glazer) come to a deal with VJ but couldn't come to terms with the Chargers.

In that case the Redskins will wait until FA. Why spend the draft pick now?

Yea, I have come to the realization that this is the senario that is most likely to happen.

Barring an injury to Moss, (knock on wood) I dont see the FO making a move.'

But we still suck on 3rd down and could use Vjax. ;)

:ols:...yea because we should always wait 3 years or more for a player to show what they can do :-/

Many of you underestimate the impact of a great receiver. A top receiver improves the running game, it turns incompletions into catches, it opens up other receivers....anyone who says a top receiver wouldn't make us a much better team I can hardly find credible. We are NOT okay with the receivers we have....an Armstrong, Moss, and a top receiver would be sufficient

No they aren't. Moss is still good, Armstrong is versatile, and Galloway usually has his guy beat, those passes will land for TDs here and there. Cooley is still a beast, Davis makes appearances, and SELLERS routinely comes in for big catches for first downs.

I'm sorry we don't have a SUPERSTAR receiver. A lot of teams don't. Washington fans need to get this 'me me me, we need the best player' thing out of their heads, things are different now. **** other teams receivers, were going to make our own.

Actually a lot of great teams do have superstar receivers...they may just not get the name recognition they deserve. Jennings, Driver, and Finley from the Packers have made catches overall that are eye popping....they're top notch

The Cowboys, Vikings, Cardinals from last year....even the Saints have top Underrated receivers that are Great. The notion that we don't need a top receiver is dishonest imo. Some players can be made.....like a Lee Evans from Buffalo who's shown greatness despite no QB. But some players just don't have it and thus we need at least one top receiver

Today, despite winning, was the last straw for me in terms of the possible effectiveness of the "win now" plan.

What I'm saying is, if our coaches were to trade for VJ and try to "win now", I don't think it would work very well. I've always thought this, but today's game, even against a good (but injured) GB team, proved to me, for real, that we need our draft picks. If we can't do it with players, don't trade for VJ.

I'm still a believer that getting value is the most important thing, so if you can trade a 3rd + player, or less, for VJ, I'd be okay with it. But as that won't happen, I'd much rather draft a stud next year in the second round, at ANY position, and just get VJ in FA or another guy there.

I agree. Look at all the young athletes the Packers have. And the reason we won the game is because of our homegrown guys like Orakpo, Landry, and even Armstrong(though he's still new yet).

Shanny can scrape wins together with this cast, but lets see what he can do when he has young talent he specifically drafts and develops. No need to throw more picks away.

if you think our receivers are anything short of mediocre, or think they can get us deep in the playoffs or SB, you are simply in denial.

I love our players as much as the next guy, i have never said our team sucks, i enjoy every victory, and somehow manage to stay positive until the last second of the 4th quarter. However, something HAS to be done. Moss and Cooley are the only ones catching balls. Armstrong catches some here and there but he's 27, hes not the solution either. Galloway is not productive. Williams is not productive. Banks is not productive except for special teams. Neither Sellers nor Davis has been productive this year. Im sorry but if you think we can win games with "routine" catches from receivers you have lost your marbles.

We cant just aim for 2 recievers and the others "routinely". The others are only open "routinely" which is why we either lose or come within 3 points of losing every game. We have an all star QB, and Donovan can not be blamed. He makes the plays when they are there. We need GOOD receivers, and i trust Shanahan to do it. Im just asking for the fans 2 cents worth. What we say doesnt matter, and the FO will make the right decisions. Im just asking, do you think Austin is worth the shot, or is Jackson the better decision, hell we could go with both. But the simple fact is Galloway is washed up (which doesnt matter, he'll be retiring soon anyway. Not a long term solution), Moss is the only WR making consistent catches (he's getting old, plus you cant count on ONE to do it all), and our TE is our only other consistent receiver. Consistency is a must if you want to be successful in the NFL. Ask Devin Thomas, Antwaan Randall El, Shaun Suisham, Jason Campbell, or a few of our other failures.

I know we need to support each and every one of our players, but something has to be done.

:ols:...yea because we should always wait 3 years or more for a player to show what they can do :-/

Many of you underestimate the impact of a great receiver. A top receiver improves the running game, it turns incompletions into catches, it opens up other receivers....anyone who says a top receiver wouldn't make us a much better team I can hardly find credible. We are NOT okay with the receivers we have....an Armstrong, Moss, and a top receiver would be sufficient

yes it does, you are correct, however, you really think we should trade a 1st and 3rd for him? that is what it would take. Isnt he a FA after the season? give him the redskins special then, see how that goes. Im about draft picks, recievers typically take a while to get it in the nfl. and yea we should have waited longer for DT, especially compared to roydell williams. you think roy has a better upside? really? drugs? think so. stop doing em

if you think our receivers are anything short of mediocre, or think they can get us deep in the playoffs or SB, you are simply in denial.

I love our players as much as the next guy, i have never said our team sucks, i enjoy every victory, and somehow manage to stay positive until the last second of the 4th quarter. However, something HAS to be done. Moss and Cooley are the only ones catching balls. Armstrong catches some here and there but he's 27, hes not the solution either. Galloway is not productive. Williams is not productive. Banks is not productive except for special teams. Neither Sellers nor Davis has been productive this year. Im sorry but if you think we can win games with "routine" catches from receivers you have lost your marbles.

We cant just aim for 2 recievers and the others "routinely". The others are only open "routinely" which is why we either lose or come within 3 points of losing every game. We have an all star QB, and Donovan can not be blamed. He makes the plays when they are there. We need GOOD receivers, and i trust Shanahan to do it. Im just asking for the fans 2 cents worth. What we say doesnt matter, and the FO will make the right decisions. Im just asking, do you think Austin is worth the shot, or is Jackson the better decision, hell we could go with both. But the simple fact is Galloway is washed up (which doesnt matter, he'll be retiring soon anyway. Not a long term solution), Moss is the only WR making consistent catches (he's getting old, plus you cant count on ONE to do it all), and our TE is our only other consistent receiver. Consistency is a must if you want to be successful in the NFL. Ask Devin Thomas, Antwaan Randall El, Shaun Suisham, Jason Campbell, or a few of our other failures.

I know we need to support each and every one of our players, but something has to be done.

Armstrong made some key plays. But overall, I think it's dishonest to say we don't need one more receiver. Just because Galloway makes a catch every now and then doesn't mean we're just fine. Armstrong has potential but he's not there yet

I say bring in Lee Evans at least. That guy's gotta be tired of losing. And random note...:ols: @ TO and Chad being stuck with Carson Palmer, imagine if McNabb had TO and Ochocinco :ols:

Archived