Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

56 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Les Boulez got him before we even drafted him.

This makes me nervous.  An undersized energy big with no skill now has a foot injury in his history?  There is no chance he makes an impact this season, and I don't really want to do the Ian Mahinmi/Nene drill all over again.

This is the Basketball Gods telling us to pick Okoro at 9.  Or trade down with Boston and hope Okongwu's injury causes him to fall to us, and use the extra draft capital to get Precious Achiuwa too.

This could be the blessing that drops him to us at 9.  If the front office thinks he’s the dude, a injury he can heal from at his age shouldn’t bother us.  It’s not like he was going to take over the nba as a scrawny rookie anyway.  It all depends on how the front office feels about him.  If they think he could be the next Bam, you take him and you don’t look back.  

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

There is nothing wrong with Okoro. The problem is it doesn’t solve our biggest weakness. Which coincidentally has been our same weakness since Nene left: interior defense. 

What about signing someone like Robin Lopez?  Draft Okoro at 9, trade some pieces to get Precious Achiuwa, and then sign Robin Lopez does about 500% more to fix the defense than just drafting Okongwu at nine and bringing everyone back and keeping things status quo.

Okongwu isn't even likely to be a good defensive player next season, maybe not even the season after.  It's really hard to be as a rookie, especially if you're not getting any time before the season starts.  If we want established rim defense now, we need to bring in a vet IMO.

I mean if we are going to be honest, the best rim protector on this team since nene/Gortat has been John. I wish that were a joke.  Anyone that has a semblance of defense should look light years better than we’ve got in Bryant/whatever. 

okoro brings elite potential at perimeter defense. Could make some moves and maybe find a big on a current roster. 

Wall

Beal

Okoro

Hachimura

Kanter/Lopez/? Drummond!?

Edited by Skin'emAlive
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

What about signing someone like Robin Lopez?  Draft Okoro at 9, trade some pieces to get Precious Achiuwa, and then sign Robin Lopez does about 500% more to fix the defense than just drafting Okongwu at nine and bringing everyone back and keeping things status quo.

Okongwu isn't even likely to be a good defensive player next season, maybe not even the season after.  It's really hard to be as a rookie, especially if you're not getting any time before the season starts.  If we want established rim defense now, we need to bring in a vet IMO.

I’d love Robin Lopez or Aaron Baynes, I’m not sure if there’s any room to sign them though.  

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I mean if we are going to be honest, the best rim protector on this team since nene/Gortat has been John. I wish that were a joke.  Anyone that has a semblance of defense should look light years better than we’ve got in Bryant/whatever. 

okoro brings elite potential at perimeter defense. Could make some moves and maybe find a big on a current roster. 

Wall

Beal

Okoro

Hachimura

Kanter/Lopez/? Drummond!?

I would be gaming out free agency/trade strategies for both an Okoro pick and an Okongwu pick, but I think vet centers are actually cheaper and more available than true two-way wings.

The major major plus of Okongwu is that he's not just a rim protecting type, but that he switches onto smalls on the perimeter too.  That is a lot more valuable than a Lopez/Drummond type who will get picked on with PnRs in crunch time.  Basically the only type of defense he's not going to give you is guarding posting seven footers, but you can find a big goon like Robin Lopez to do that for less than the MLE in pretty much every offseason.  He's also probably not going to be a completely dominant glass cleaner like Rudy Gobert, but he's pretty good.  Better than Bryant.

But Okoro is also a rare defensive player in that he's your best on ball stopper who you will stick on the best scoring wing for the other team PLUS he has the strength and lateral speed to switch 1-4 and he's a pretty good helper because he has a high level feel for the game.  That's also super valuable, plus he gives you transition scoring, ball handling, and slashing and you can hope for him to develop a three ball over time.

This is a tough choice.  It kind of feels like picking between Okoro and Okongwu is choosing between the two best players in the class, and I'm hoping we get the chance to make that choice tonight.  Playing Thomas Bryant and Okongwu together is awkward, but not impossible.  Okoro would slide into line ups pretty easily, without having to trade people in our front court.  But you're right that we still wouldn't have rim protection and we would have to make moves to get it.  Plus we wouldn't have that switchable PnR defender that Okongwu is.

That's why I am advocating so hard for us to make trades to get into position to draft Achiuwa, no matter what we do at 9.  There is a chance that guy could end up being Draymond Green.  You hardly ever see a 6'10 player with hips and feet like that, he can legitimately guard every position.  Trust Rui to expand his range and that's a good forward tandem.  And he'd certainly make line ups featuring Bertans a lot more capable of getting stops.  Getting Achiuwa and Okongwu would pretty much fix up our defense long term IMO, even if we keep Bertans or Bryant.

1 minute ago, Destino said:

I’d love Robin Lopez or Aaron Baynes, I’m not sure if there’s any room to sign them though.  

Not without making some moves.  If we're being brutally honest about our front court, Hachimura + Bertans + Wagner + Bryant is just not a very good group, even if we add a defensive-minded big like Okongwu or Achiuwa.  It's four soft, perimeter-oriented bigs who neither rebound nor defend in the rotation.  No team running that will ever be able to get enough stops to contend.

We need to consolidate that group of four down to like two, and then add two more rotation bigs who are legitimate rebounders and defenders.

Generally speaking, a good team is going to be built out of versatile dribble-pass-shoot guys who are like 6-4 to 6-8, and then like two or three guys who are 6-9+ who rim-run, rebound, and defend.  Miami is the wave of the future for the teams who aren't lucky enough to have seven foot phenoms like Giannis, Davis, and Durant.  Right now we've got three 6-10+ guys who are luxury floor spacing pieces for teams that already have a balanced front court.  We only need one, we should pick one and use the other two as trade assets.

Unfortunately, I think Rui is who he is. I don’t have much faith that he will be any more than a serviceable 3/4 that has a wide array of skills, and a master of none. Like Otto, he lacks the fire and build. But Otto was elite from mid range, a 40% perimeter threat, and has the ability to produce with virtually no usage. 

We have no cap space, so signing any mediocre-quality big is probably out of the question, not including the hurdle that is getting a deal on a terrible franchise. We would have to make a trade. I think Brown+Bryant+draft compensation would be acceptable for an expiring $29 mil Drummond ( who is close with brad btw). I wouldn’t worry about Drummond having trouble in the playoffs. We would have two defensive stoppers in Bonga/Okoro that can help out on the wings. John is an elite PnR guard, and we should (have been) exploiting that instead going hero ball. This should be a playoffs or bust season, because we would almost certainly begin to tear it down if this ends up another rebuilding year. 

5 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I mean if we are going to be honest, the best rim protector on this team since nene/Gortat has been John. I wish that were a joke.  

Dwight Howard? 

Edited by Kosher Ham
No idea what I hit for that next page stuff

I have no clue what we should do.  I've tried to read everything out there about these prospects so I can have an informed opinion and I've got nothing.  Being an NBA GM is an impossible job.  I'm just going to sit back, drink some beers, and enjoy the story lines.

What about this kid if he makes it to 9?

"Patrick Williams | 6-8 forward/wing | 18 years old, freshman | Florida State

The player: Williams’ frame is absolutely elite. Williams looks like he’s been chiseled out of granite, with enormous shoulders. As he gets into his mid-20s – remember, he already looks like this at 19 years old — Williams looks like he’s going to be able to gain another 15 pounds of muscle with ease. He already uses that strength across the court really well, as it’s tough to go through him. His defensive feel, reactivity and IQ is off the charts good for a teenage wing. He’s a monster in help defense, both on the perimeter and as an interior rotator. As a rim protector, he’s an absolute force rotating over from the weak side for blocks and contests. Offensively, he’s raw but shows a lot of tools based off of his feel. Williams is a smart, instinctive cutter who times his moves toward the basket well. Knows how to relocate into dangerous spots. He also shows some very real passing upside. Grew up playing as something of a point-forward on the AAU scene, and has maintained some of that dexterity with the ball. Can knock down the occasional pull-up jumper from the midrange when attacking a closeout. The big key here will be tracking how the raw nature of his skill set develops over the next few years, particularly as a shooter."

From Sam Vecenie's mock draft.  That sounds exactly like the kind of wing we need.

I hate to say it, but this kid looks really good too:

Tyrese Haliburton | 6-5 guard | 20 years old, sophomore | Iowa State

The player: Haliburton’s feel for the game is just absolutely off the charts. He has a case for having the highest basketball IQ in this draft class. He makes the right decision all the time. That starts as a ballhandler. Haliburton is an extremely high-level passer out of all situations. He’ll make the head-man pass in transition Sees everything and plays unselfishly. The game is not about his numbers despite the fact that he put up great numbers this year. Despite not exactly being a high-level pick-and-roll scorer, he can make every pass in the book as a pick-and-roll passer. He also shoots it really well off the catch despite funky mechanics, and he’s a smart team defender. The weakness here is that he’s not much of a pull-up threat, and is far from the crazy level of athlete that NBA lead guards tend to be. But in the right role, Haliburton can affect winning at a really, really high level.

He is Doris Burke's favorite prospect in the class.