Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

2 hours ago, Mooka said:

Would seriously consider switching teams if Steve and Phil reunited somewhere else. 

****, been sour on this team since they became the Wizards. Can we PLEASE get the Bullets back or change the name? Wizards just suuuuuuucks; it has nothing to do with DC and there's already the Magic. I own absolutely nothing that says Wizards on it. Everything I have is Bullets. 

Can we do the vote thing again without Sea Dogs or Wizards as choices? 

Forgive my long ass rant here but

The Wizards/ Bullets have been awful since 1979.

This isn't a Ernie thing although he has contributed to recent memory. The Wizards had a few good years but have largely been irrelevant between 1979 and 2019. That is a very long time to be irrelevant. That is a PATHETIC amount of time to be struggling. 80's. Wizards not relevant. 90's. Wizards TRADED Juwan Howard and Chris Webber in different years and they ended up doing well on other teams. Wizards let SHEED go. Sheed succeeded in Portland and later Detroit. 00's. Wizards had like 2 good years with Arenas but then the gun issue. 10's. Lot of bad basketball, two good years with Wall, team acts like they're the best thing ever, fall to 8th seed after high expectations, and then last year the massive tank job.

In summary: The curse of Lez Boulez is real. And who said it above? This team is TEETERING on the edge of irrelevance. At least United fans have something to cheer about. Caps, Redskins (still!), United and Nats passed the Wizards long ago. The Wizards are very, very difficult to root for with all these gigantic gaffes they keep making. Not even Durant want to come to this **** hole.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Bet anything they fired Buchantz because ratings have been dropping and Buck is a part of the staid and mom and pop air and energy of the franchise.  They want a younger voice in the booth.  But I've listened to many younger pbp callers working for the broadcasts of other teams who are insufferable douchebags.  I'll take Buck's old school class over anyone else.

The Phil situation was unfortunate, but he was done.  He was having trouble calling the games accurately and it was depressingly clear how much better Kara was than he'd become.  It sucks to lose her so soon, but she has moved on to a better gig.

The real indictment is that Caron Butler is the best we can do for an ex player color commentator.  The only other guy we had that could do the job has a much better national gig.  The 80s and 90s were a wash.  The aughts were a sideshow.  Our coaches have been crap.  So tuff juice it is.

And yes it is absurd that Drew Golden got the gig too.  He's got friends in high places.

Yup. And people wonder why I don't stick around to support the Wizards, or why I became a Lakers fan. Because the Wizards have no respect for the fans, the broadcasters, and it's sad. They trotted out Ernie year after year and say things gonna be different, we ain't stupid. They couldn't even snag Majai from Toronto or the Nuggets GM. Nobody wants to work for the Wizards (sound familiar?)

And 2019-20 is going to be an AWFUL season. This team might win 15 games and then get the 6th pick in the lottery 😂

I mean, credit for all of ya'll who stick through this **** since 1979 but man...40 years of bad basketball. You must have some courage to endure that ****. lol

Edited by ixcuincle
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Yup. And people wonder why I don't stick around to support the Wizards, or why I became a Lakers fan. Because the Wizards have no respect for the fans, the broadcasters, and it's sad. They trotted out Ernie year after year and say things gonna be different, we ain't stupid. They couldn't even snag Majai from Toronto or the Nuggets GM. Nobody wants to work for the Wizards (sound familiar?)

And 2019-20 is going to be an AWFUL season. This team might win 15 games and then get the 6th pick in the lottery 😂

You are so right. Abe Pollin wasn't a good owner, but I never felt the same way about him, I knew he gave a damn about the team/fans, but I know the douche that we have now just cares about the profit he can make from the franchise. 

Edited by spjunkies
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

You are so right. Abe Pollin wasn't a good owner, but I never felt the same way about him, I knew he gave a damn about the team/fans, but I know the douche that we have now just cares about the profit he can make from the franchise. 

And that's the main thing.  The losing is not what turns me away.  We've been losing for decades.  But when you can't muster up basic human decency to meet with Buck and thank him for 22 years of work, that's POS territory.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

What's even more ridiculous is that if they were gonna let Buck go, why not confirm the decision in March and let Buck say good bye on air at the end of the season and give him all the fanfare that he deserves?  What a pair of grade A jackasses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Ted is a freaking LOSER!!! He got lucky with the Caps/Ovechkin winning the draft and then years later a Stanley Cup.  He was supposedly this fan friendly guy who interacted with the fans on social media. Anything critical of the team and he becomes quiet as a church mouse.  Kept Ernie at least 7-8 years too long. Got rid of Phil and now Buck. Still haven't officially named a GM. Love the team, probably always will. But Ted is just a loser!!!! 

NBC Sports Washington is autonomous from the team.  Leonsis probably could have saved Buckhantz's job if he'd wanted to, but that would have meant stepping into NBC's business.  They're trying to make money broadcasting an unpopular team's games in a cord cutting era, their interest is different from the team's interest.  Buck is pissed because he lost his job, but It was his boss at NBC's call, not the team's.  It's not smart to interfere with your cable affiliate's talent decisions, even if you have the power to do so.

And I understand that he's crushed by losing a job he loves and done forever, but blaming Ted for getting fired is beneath Buck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ted is still a loser! LOL! NBC Sports Washington still should have given Buck a farewell. That's no way to treat any employee, especially one who has given us 22+ years of service. Leaving him twisting in the wind is just plain old pathetic on the powers that be. Even in a cost cutting move, they should have done something. 

19 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

NBC Sports Washington is autonomous from the team.  Leonsis probably could have saved Buckhantz's job if he'd wanted to, but that would have meant stepping into NBC's business.  They're trying to make money broadcasting an unpopular team's games in a cord cutting era, their interest is different from the team's interest.  Buck is pissed because he lost his job, but It was his boss at NBC's call, not the team's.  It's not smart to interfere with your cable affiliate's talent decisions, even if you have the power to do so.

And I understand that he's crushed by losing a job he loves and done forever, but blaming Ted for getting fired is beneath Buck.

Monumental owns a third of nbc sports washington. This is absolutely on Ted and Buck knows it. Buck wouldnt jump out so strong otherwise. Doing it the way they did robbed Buck of a proper sendoff. That type of pettiness is not beneath Leonsis

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Monumental Sports owns 33% of CSN Mid Atlantic, seats 2 of the 6 board of directors, of which Leonsis is one of.  Even assuming that NBC directors overruled Monumental and Wizards' preference and forced Buck's firing, there is absolutely no reason why Leonsis can't meet with Buck for a thank you or insist that Buck be given a proper sendoff on air.

But lets not entertain this preposterous hypothetical any further.  No one should be naive enough to think that the broadcast team decision was not Ted and/or his son's call.

I have less problem with their decision to replace Buck (I think it's a bad decision, but it's his team) compared to the utter stupidity and lack of basic courtesy surrounding Leonsis' failure to reach out to Buck and failing to give him a proper sendoff.  The last two are indefensible.

• Like 5

Agreed. If the team can't get the little things right after getting the big things wrong (whiff on two GMs they wanted) then this is their brand. 

Buck doesn't equal wins or losses. But they have nothing else to give the fans that we want. Rui might be big in Japan but he won't sell tickets or get eyeballs on the TV. 

Buck was our connection to the history of a mostly ****ty history... But it's ours. 

Nothing against those who will be replacing. But, they will suffer the heat all year that's really aimed at Ted. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Monumental owns a third of nbc sports washington. This is absolutely on Ted and Buck knows it. Buck wouldnt jump out so strong otherwise. Doing it the way they did robbed Buck of a proper sendoff. That type of pettiness is not beneath Leonsis

Nevertheless, NBC Sports is an autonomous entity from Monumental and they get to make their own calls about their talent.  Ted not stepping in to save Buck is not the same as firing him.  They've got a production department with their own executives making these kinds of decisions. And we knew Buck was done last year when they declined his option.  This didn't come out of the blue.

Buck got fired because the broadcast ratings were bad and declining.  It's a tough atmosphere for cable sports broadcasting now.  Ted being petty doesn't explain the move and it's a lazy narrative.  Buck is angry right now.  I agree he was entitled to some sympathy from the Leonsis family, but not entitled to them stepping in to save his job.  Having a team owner step into their cable affiliate's management to overrule decisions about on-air talent for their broadcasts would be dysfunctional.

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Nevertheless, NBC Sports is an autonomous entity from Monumental and they get to make their own calls about their talent.  Ted not stepping in to save Buck is not the same as firing him.  They've got a production department with their own executives making these kinds of decisions. And we knew Buck was done last year when they declined his option.  This didn't come out of the blue.

Buck got fired because the broadcast ratings were bad and declining.  It's a tough atmosphere for cable sports broadcasting now.  Ted being petty doesn't explain the move and it's a lazy narrative.  Buck is angry right now.  I agree he was entitled to some sympathy from the Leonsis family, but not entitled to them stepping in to save his job.  Having a team owner step into their cable affiliate's management to overrule decisions about on-air talent for their broadcasts would be dysfunctional.

Ideally thats how it should work, but it requires a level of naivete to think thats how its actually practiced. If the decision didnt come out of the blue, then he should have been afforded a send off. He's earned that much at least.

Not buying he was canned because of ratings. Attempting to lay their bad ratings at Buck's feet is not logical. Local broadcasters dont drive ratings, the product does. There is not a single soul suddenly deciding to watch a wizards game because they hired a younger face and drew gooden

There were many respectful ways to move on from Buck. They chose the method of pissing on him and fans

• Thanks 3

I do think the Leonsis family should have met with Buck and thanked him for all of the years he put in here.

I don't know what you are looking for in some kind of on air sendoff, but if it was going to happen, it would have happened last season.  And that kind of decision about the broadcast wouldn't be handled by the majority owner of the team. Blame the network for how they handled Buck's firing.

Don't think there's a chance in hell Buck comes back to Cap 1 for any sort of ceremony during the season.  Maybe it was just him being emotional, but in his interview, he said he's not watching games. 

I loved Buck/Phil/Kara, but them being gone isn't going to make me stop watching the team.  Yes, it probably could have been handled better, but I'm more concerned about the product on the court than anything else.  Took entirely too long to fire EG, so I'm curious as to what this Shep era will have the team looking like 3-4 seasons from now. 

Just now, @SkinsGoldPants said:

How about Wall and Beal to the Thunder for some of those Chris Paul, a couple of those 1st rounders from LA and another player who isn't a complete bum. Then flip Paul to Miami for a bushel from Joe's Stone Crabs and whatever.

Wall and Beal need to be traded separately.

The return is lessened if it's a package. 

Beal is probably the hottest commodity on the market right now.  Trade him alone and reap the king's ransom in return.

Wall, when he comes back, WILL 100% have trade value.  If you're an average to above average player, to good, to star player, your contract is NOT untradeable.  In a vacuum, looking the money owed to Wall is staggering.  However, the Wizards won't have any issues moving him to a team looking to add another piece to a potential championship contender. 

• Like 1

Advanced issues found

5 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Wall and Beal need to be traded separately.

The return is lessened if it's a package. 

Beal is probably the hottest commodity on the market right now.  Trade him alone and reap the king's ransom in return.

Wall, when he comes back, WILL 100% have trade value.  If you're an average to above average player, to good, to star player, your contract is NOT untradeable.  In a vacuum, looking the money owed to Wall is staggering.  However, the Wizards won't have any issues moving him to a team looking to add another piece to a potential championship contender. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5028225

You'd need Wall to come back and prove he is an above average player for somebody to take on that deal. Otherwise, no way he will have anything close to 100% of his trade value. That's the whole point of packaging him. The other team is taking a "sure thing" in Beal while betting on Wall coming back. A lot more "ifs" than "whens". 

25 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5028225

You'd need Wall to come back and prove he is an above average player for somebody to take on that deal. Otherwise, no way he will have anything close to 100% of his trade value. That's the whole point of packaging him. The other team is taking a "sure thing" in Beal while betting on Wall coming back. A lot more "ifs" than "whens". 

How is he NOT going to be an average player when he comes back?  LOL.  Some of you guys got amnesia when it comes to remembering just how good Wall has been over the years.  The way some of yall talk about him, you'd think he was a Mike Penberthy clone. 

OBVIOUSLY he's not going to net a return like if he was 100% injury free...but there is literally zero reason for him not to average anything north of 15/8. 

He was a shade below Mike Conley's effectiveness last year.  PLAYING ON ONE LEG. 

Shep would be an idiot to package Beal/Wall together.  Teams trying to fleece the Wizards just so they can rid themselves of Wall's supermax.  If they remain patient, Wall will have value by next summer or early in the 20-21 season. 

Edited by RonArtest15
  • Like 1