Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Probably a Forward, they seem to covet those. They have like 10 on their roster. I'd look at people like Livingston, Vasquez, Flynn, hell even Telfair is an upgrade.

---------- Post added July-24th-2012 at 01:31 PM ----------

Jesus was probably diminutive in stature, he wouldn't last very long in the league. As to Price, he had an average rookie campain Per 36, but he's been worse than Mack since than. I have every to ***** about a player that has sucked every bit as much as Mack has in his rookie campaign. Wall's reckless attacking style is not conducive to long term health, we need assurance at this position.

Don't care what the Per36 is for the Price/Mack comparison. Mack is not good with the ball and can hardly bring it up the court. We need someone in here who can play a steady 10-12 minutes per night and thats what we got with Price.

Vasquez would be awesome from a local fan's viewpoint. Like drafting Blake and Dixon but it's not always the best decision basketball wise. Although, Vasquez has put up numbers in N.O. I assume in garbage time/because no one else on the team was much better and stats had to come from somewhere. Plus, he showed he could play during the playoffs a year ago with Memphis. Having said all of that, I'd still love to have him as a backup PG. He's a playmaker. He's turnovers were a worry at College Park but his stats don't show them to be that bad in the NBA.

He'll probably stay in N.O though. They can't be that confident in Rivers to run PG for them, I don't see it. Rivers is better suited as a spark scorer off the bench.

Don't care what the Per36 is for the Price/Mack comparison. Mack is not good with the ball and can hardly bring it up the court. We need someone in here who can play a steady 10-12 minutes per night and thats what we got with Price.

AJ Price averaged 12 mins a game last season, Mack, about 12.2

They both averaged roughly 4 pts per game. Mack shot 40% from the field, Price at 34%...Mack shot 29% from the 3, Price was at 30%. Virtually identical PER and TS....Both average 2.0 assists a game without about 1 turnover...So, ignoring PER 36, since you don't care for it...Mack's first year, is the same as what Prices' THIRD year in the league is. We seriously have a baboon for a GM.

AJ Price averaged 12 mins a game last season, Mack, about 12.2

They both averaged roughly 4 pts per game. Mack shot 40% from the field, Price at 34%...Mack shot 29% from the 3, Price was at 30%. Virtually identical PER and TS....Both average 2.0 assists a game without about 1 turnover...So, ignoring PER 36, since you don't care for it...Mack's first year, is the same as what Prices' THIRD year in the league is. We seriously have a baboon for a GM.

Stop looking at stats for a second. Price was a steady-vet on a MUCH better team than what we had. We needed an upgrade at the PG spot, and someone who isn't going to get jitters or look shook when bringing the ball up the court like Mack. We got that with Price. No, he's not a world-beater, but he's someone who is going to fill a need. He's not playing anymore than 10-12 minutes per night and as long as the ball is out of Mack's hands, I'm happy.

Seems like a pretty inconsequential move. The backup PG is going to be our 12th man most likely. Why on Earth would anyone fly off the handle over that spot?

1.) The team will always be screwed when Wall goes down. We have no shot at contention without him and this will never change so long as we've got the single star construction around him. It's true for every team built the same way.

2.) The backup PG will get almost no minutes. Three of our four best offensive players are now our guards, and all three of them can and will run point. John will get at least 36 minutes a game. Crawford will probably get most of the rest of the minutes at PG.

Seems like a pretty inconsequential move. The backup PG is going to be our 12th man most likely. Why on Earth would anyone fly off the handle over that spot?

1.) The team will always be screwed when Wall goes down. We have no shot at contention without him and this will never change so long as we've got the single star construction around him. It's true for every team built the same way.

2.) The backup PG will get almost no minutes. Three of our four best offensive players are now our guards, and all three of them can and will run point. John will get at least 36 minutes a game. Crawford will probably get most of the rest of the minutes at PG.

EXACTLY!

And I think w/ the addition of Beal, Crawford will be working on learning some of the finer nuances of running the point. Remember - 2 years ago when Wall was hurt, Crawford started at the 1 and dropped a triple-double on the Heat.

*Beal can also play some minutes at the point as well.

We replaced Shelvin Mack with Shelvin Mack.

I hope Jordan Crawford is the backup PG. I think he's a really ****ty starting SG. But if he's told to stop jacking up ill advised 3's and long 2's and plays more of a ball handling role, he can do a decent job.

We replaced Shelvin Mack with Shelvin Mack.

I hope Jordan Crawford is the backup PG. I think he's a really ****ty starting SG. But if he's told to stop jacking up ill advised 3's and long 2's and plays more of a ball handling role, he can do a decent job.

If crawford is the backup point... Who is the backup sg?

If crawford is the backup point... Who is the backup sg?

Jordan Crawford. He's a combo guard, who can play both spots. Most teams generally use three guards heavily, with a fourth one getting spot minutes every night. I think the fourth guard will probably be Cartier Martin.

AJ Price should be glued to the end of the bench as long as the roster is healthy. Guy sucks as much as Shelvin Mack.

Stop looking at stats for a second. Price was a steady-vet on a MUCH better team than what we had. We needed an upgrade at the PG spot, and someone who isn't going to get jitters or look shook when bringing the ball up the court like Mack. We got that with Price. No, he's not a world-beater, but he's someone who is going to fill a need. He's not playing anymore than 10-12 minutes per night and as long as the ball is out of Mack's hands, I'm happy.

Steady vet? He's in his fourth season, who has seen minimal playing time his whole career. How can you honestly spin this as a logical signing is baffling. His need is 3rd string PG, which every team does need mind you, but he should be seeing NO minutes a night.

Every good team needs depth at critical positions. We're full of frontcourt depth but absurdly thin in the backcourt. Wall and Beal are the only players worth a damn in the backcourt. Crawford is a bad player, he tries, but he is usesless. He's a chucker, overrated playmaker and inefficient. He is going to be 24 by the time the season starts so it isn't like he is super young anymore either, he has to prove himself in my book. Oh and saying "oh he had a triple double against the heat" is pretty pointless, especially when you want to throw away the stats players accrue when it doesn't befit your argument.

I personally don't want wall playing 38+ mins a night so that is one reason I wanted a sound vet to help him. Wall is going to have his fair share of bad games, there must be at least a serviceable option when he is having an off night. As of right now Wall is a pretty good PG, maybe on the cusp of top 10, but lets not act like his production isn't reproducible by other quality Vets in the league. IF we had a good backup I wouldn't cringe every time Wall attacks the rim and falls, but when AJ friggin Price is your backup, you know as a franchise we could be royally screwed.

Steady vet? He's in his fourth season, who has seen minimal playing time his whole career. How can you honestly spin this as a logical signing is baffling. His need is 3rd string PG, which every team does need mind you, but he should be seeing NO minutes a night.

Every good team needs depth at critical positions. We're full of frontcourt depth but absurdly thin in the backcourt. Wall and Beal are the only players worth a damn in the backcourt. Crawford is a bad player, he tries, but he is usesless. He's a chucker, overrated playmaker and inefficient. He is going to be 24 by the time the season starts so it isn't like he is super young anymore either, he has to prove himself in my book. Oh and saying "oh he had a triple double against the heat" is pretty pointless, especially when you want to throw away the stats players accrue when it doesn't befit your argument.

I personally don't want wall playing 38+ mins a night so that is one reason I wanted a sound vet to help him. Wall is going to have his fair share of bad games, there must be at least a serviceable option when he is having an off night. As of right now Wall is a pretty good PG, maybe on the cusp of top 10, but lets not act like his production isn't reproducible by other quality Vets in the league. IF we had a good backup I wouldn't cringe every time Wall attacks the rim and falls, but when AJ friggin Price is your backup, you know as a franchise we could be royally screwed.

He's an upgrade over Mack - which is what I said. He can run sets and bring the ball up the floor. The Wizards are not going to ask much of Price other than to be careful with the ball and to help execute the offense in LIMITED minutes. It's a one-year deal, so I really don't get the uproar over this signing. At all.

And as it was stated, between Crawford and Beal, both guys can run the point in a pinch. God forbid Wall goes down for an extended period of time, but I would have to think that Crawford would get the nod as the starter at the 1 if this was to happen.

Also, there is no other "quality" vet in the league who is available who can replace Wall's production if he had to miss time. None.

He's an upgrade over Mack - which is what I said. He can run sets and bring the ball up the floor. The Wizards are not going to ask much of Price other than to be careful with the ball and to help execute the offense in LIMITED minutes. It's a one-year deal, so I really don't get the uproar over this signing. At all.

And as it was stated, between Crawford and Beal, both guys can run the point in a pinch. God forbid Wall goes down for an extended period of time, but I would have to think that Crawford would get the nod as the starter at the 1 if this was to happen.

Also, there is no other "quality" vet in the league who is available who can replace Wall's production if he had to miss time. None.

No, he is not an upgrade over Mack. He is nearly an identical player that hasn't shown any improvement 3 years in the league. Just saying he is a better player is not proof that he is. The one year signing leads me to believe they are bringing Tomas over in the '13-14 season and just hoping Wall doesn't get injured.

Crawford can't run a team. He can get his own shot, and occasionally do some playmaking for others but he is too much of a blackhole to be a PG. Beal is a rookie with average handles right now, and decent playmaking but not better than Crawford...do you really think he can play pg?

Regarding the vets I would have liked is kind of moot because Ernie waited way too long in the game to sign anyone. If we just examine who is remaining now, the player with most upside I would have sought for would be: Jannero Pargo or Johnny Flynn. None of these two would be good as wall, but I think they could at least manage the team alright. I wanted aaron brooks but I believe he signed with POR.

No, he is not an upgrade over Mack. He is nearly an identical player that hasn't shown any improvement 3 years in the league. Just saying he is a better player is not proof that he is. The one year signing leads me to believe they are bringing Tomas over in the '13-14 season and just hoping Wall doesn't get injured.

Crawford can't run a team. He can get his own shot, and occasionally do some playmaking for others but he is too much of a blackhole to be a PG. Beal is a rookie with average handles right now, and decent playmaking but not better than Crawford...do you really think he can play pg?

Regarding the vets I would have liked is kind of moot because Ernie waited way too long in the game to sign anyone. If we just examine who is remaining now, the player with most upside I would have sought for would be: Jannero Pargo or Johnny Flynn. None of these two would be good as wall, but I think they could at least manage the team alright. I wanted aaron brooks but I believe he signed with POR.

Did you watch Summer League? Shelvin Mack was arguably the worst player in Las Vegas. And that's saying something. If you're content having a PG who can't bring the ball up the floor, not make the correct pass, and look slow while doing all of this...then yea, Mack is our guy.

Price, for all of his faults, does not do any of the things I listed above. He's an upgrade over Mack. Period.

I do like Pargo, but if we would have signed him, people would have had a problem with it. Flynn....he's about as big of a bust as you'll find in the NBA. He's about to be on his 4th team in 4 years. He has problems with injuries, can't play defense, and has a lot of problems running offensive sets. Brooks signed a 2 year deal w/ the Kings and was expensive (think he's making 3.5 per)

You did hit the nail on the head about one thing. This one year deal sets up Sato's NA pro debut next season.

As the Dwight Howard drama has played out and teams have removed themselves from the discussion one by one, it becomes clearer that DC is Dwight's best fit.

- Chicago has no DRose next year, little cap room, few desirable trade chips they can part with, and the front court is already a strength.

- OKC isn't happening.

- Clippers isn't happening.

- Brooklyn isn't happening, they chose Brook Lopez.

- The Lakers probably isn't happening any more, and it's not even a particularly good fit for either party.

- Houston is a lateral move for him.

- Boston isn't happening.

- Miami isn't happening.

- Atlanta is barely more than a lateral move since they've only got two attractive players, one of which Dwight would replace.

So who does that leave? We're the most attractive remaining destination. If Dwight was smart and forward thinking (doubtful), he'd be trying to facilitate a trade to DC this year.

Why?

1.) Our only long term cap commitment is Nene at 13 million per. Not bad, plus he's highly tradeable because he's a proven starting big man, still fairly young, that improves the locker room no matter where he goes. Heck, you could build the trade around Nene and Orlando would at least come away with a quality big man for their rebuild.

If no trade, he's an ideal PF to pair with Dwight in the front court.

2.) We've got young assets and all of our draft picks. We can give Orlando the chance to jump start a rebuild with young players that already have NBA experience + future picks.

3.) John Wall. Soon Wall will be the best PG in the league that isn't already paired with another star on a team with minimal roster flexibility. He'll be the most available good PG, if he isn't already. If Dwight wants to play with a good PG, Wall is his best bet right now.

Plus Wall's game compliments a player like Dwight. Dwight's never played with a talent at PG like Wall before, nor a distributor like Wall.

4.) Brad Beal. Perfect complimentary shooter at SG to generate floor space for Dwight to operate. The nice thing about a Wall/Beal backcourt is they've got defensive integrity. Dwight is used to playing with shooters, but he's not used to playing with perimeter players who can keep opponents from getting free run to the rim.

A Wall + Dwight + Beal big 3 would be incredible. And balanced.

5.) Lots of glue players to fill in the gaps around that big 3. Vesely would be the perfect stretch 4/SF for the group since he runs and finishes and is an extremely long defender in space. Perfect counter to small ball lineups that could otherwise take Dwight out of his comfort zone around the lane. Crawford is a second line offensive spark. Booker is a glue forward that does dirty work. Seraphin is also good but I imagine he'd be included in any deal for Dwight. Okafor and Ariza are solid role players that would help us contend immediately.

Long story short, DC is one of the only situations he could step into a fully fleshed out roster and contend immediately + have the young talent in place for a long term powerhouse.

6.) It would be a square peg in a square hole fit. The Wizards have offensive bigs and tweeners but could really use a defender and rebounder like Dwight. He'd average 15 RPG here. On the offensive end, the Wizards could use an Alpha Scorer to feed the offense through, and I'm sure Dwight would love being that guy.

You'd have to put Okafor or Nene and some young carrots in the deal. But Dwight's price in trade is going to keep dropping the longer this goes on and the more teams drop out of the race. If Dwight remains firm on his public stance of not excepting an extension with any team, Orlando will only get crap offers in return for him.

What if we didn't even have to take back a bad contract in return for him? What if we could make the deal for something like Nene + Seraphin + maybe Booker + future picks? That might even be overpaying really, given some of the crap that's been rumored in the failed Houston and Brooklyn deals. Especially since we'd be bidding against so few.

I'd make the deal if I thought Dwight would be smart enough to realize what a golden opportunity he'd have here and sign an extension. Not sure about that at all though.

I don't think he'll ever come here. Wizards are losers and have been worse than Orlando over the years. Let's just say, I'm not holding my breath waiting for him to come here. I think it's a pipe dream. I mean, if you are an NBA player, besides John Wall, what does DC have to offer in terms of winning a championship? Nothing. Sorry to burst the bubble on you Steve, as I know you are one of the most positive Wizards fan around, but I just can't see them trading him to a division rival.

Edited by pjfootballer

http://dc.sbnation.com/2012/7/30/3204557/2012-london-olympics-mens-basketball-brazil-nene-foot-injury

When the Wizards acquired Brazilian big man Nene in a three-team deal at the 2012 trade deadline, they also got a foot injury --plantar fasciitis, to be exact -- which caused Nene to miss several games during the final weeks of the regular season.

Nene is currently representing his country in London, and after scoring 10 points and grabbing 7 boards in Brazil's opening win over Australia Sunday, he revealed that the plantar fasciitis had flared up again.

Nene walked with a slight limp after the game. The plantar fasciitis that bothered him at times last season has flared up, he said.

"When the ball goes up, I forget about that, though," Nene said.

I hope Brazil gets eliminated as soon as possible.

Plantar fascitis isn't something that just goes away. Our FO knew this before they made the trade.

They'll either have to sporadically shut Nene down during the season or he'll be getting cortisone shots. Cortisone shots for plantar fascitis are a short term fix and do nothing but increase potential for injuring the achilles tendon and leaving him susceptible to other lower body injuries.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/jodie-meeks-weighing-free-agency-options/

Jodie Meeks Weighing Free Agency Options

By Alex Kennedy

NBA Writer

Every day, Jodie Meeks is asked the same question: “Where are you going to sign?”

For the past month, the 24-year-old has received countless phone calls and text messages from people asking for updates, but that’s to be expected when you’re one of the best free agents remaining on the market. Meeks, an unrestricted free agent, is talking with a number of teams and weighing his options.

“I’ve gotten interest from the Lakers, Bucks and Wizards,” Meeks told HOOPSWORLD. “There are five or six teams, but those three are at the forefront right now because I’ve been talking to them the most. I really like those teams and I like what they bring to the table. I’m looking forward to signing, whenever that may be.”

Meeks has proven that he can start in the NBA, which separates him from many of the remaining free agents. He has started 114 games in his 200-game career, averaging 8.1 points over the last three years. Last year with the Philadelphia 76ers, Meeks started 50 games. While he has shown that he can be a significant contributor in the NBA, he believes his best basketball is still ahead of him.

“I feel like I still have a lot to develop,” Meeks said. “I’m still young, only 24 years old, and I have a lot of things to show in my career. I’m looking forward to, whatever team I go to, showing what I can do and trying to win as much as possible.”

Meeks has been training and spending time with his family in his hometown of Atlanta in an effort to keep his mind off of free agency. Rather than worrying about his next contract, he’s working on his game and making sure that he’ll be ready to play at a high level for his new team.

“I’m just trying to find the best fit for myself,” Meeks said. “I just have to be patient. I know that when it comes time to sign, I’ll be ready to help the team that picks me up. I’m staying in shape and keeping myself busy this summer. I’m keeping a winning attitude. I’m very upbeat and positive. I don’t worry about these kinds of things. I’m just letting it play out and I’m looking forward to next season.”

“I’m from Atlanta and I come here every offseason,” Meeks said. “My family is here and I’m down here working out. I’m just working on all aspects of my game. I think you can always improve. There’s never a time when a player can’t get better. I’m working on my lateral quickness and ballhandling, and I’m putting up a lot of shots. I’m just keeping a positive attitude and waiting to see where I end up.”

While Meeks wouldn’t rule out a return to Philadelphia, it seems unlikely since the 76ers didn’t extend a qualifying offer to Meeks prior to the start of free agency and then proceeded to sign shooting guard Nick Young to a one-year deal worth $6 million.

“I loved playing in Philadelphia,” Meeks said. “It was a great city and I was there for two and a half years. I have nothing but great things to say about those guys. They gave me an opportunity to play and I wish them the best of luck.”

Now, Meeks is looking forward to signing his new contract. This was his first time going through the free agency process and while he has had a positive experience, he’s looking forward to focusing on basketball again rather than business.

“Free agency hasn’t been bad,” Meeks said. “I’m just staying patient and positive. I’m just looking forward to seeing what happens. I know I’m going to go to a good situation where I can win as much as possible. That’s the main thing for me, winning.”

“Teams that I’ve been on in the NBA have always made the playoffs, except for my rookie year,” Meeks added. “I was with the Bucks for most of my rookie year and they made the playoffs, but then I went to Philly for end of the season and they didn’t make it. But for the last two years, we made the playoffs. I bring a lot of positive energy on and off the court, and I think that carries over to winning.”

Los Angeles, Milwaukee and Washington seem to be the frontrunners to land his services as of right now. In the coming days, Meeks will weigh his options and then make a decision.

Anyone read the story by Wilbon about the NBA and FIBA potentially pulling out of the Olympics to go start their own World Cup style event?

My favorite part:

At the opening ceremonies Friday night I met a young reporter, Yiwang Pindarica, from Thimphu, Bhutan, which is bordered to the south, east and west by India and to the north by China. She's the only reporter from Bhutan, a nation of 700,000 that sent a grand total of two athletes to these Olympics, a shooter and an archer. Archery is the national sport of Bhutan, and to chronicle its athletes' adventures Pindarica paid her own way to the Olympics to write for her publication, Business Bhutan. It took her essentially two days to get here, from Thimphu to Paro, Bhutan, to Kolkata, India, to Dubai, United Arab Emirates, to London Heathrow.

I asked Pindarica what sport she wanted to see while she was attending her first Olympics, and "basketball" was her quick and definitive answer. They watch NBA games in Bhutan. Live. There's an 11-hour time difference from New York, so do the math. The games come on there at 6 a.m. "Yes, we watch them live," she said. The Lakers, Celtics and Spurs, she said, are the teams people in Bhutan obsesses over -- and LeBron James, though there was a lot of rooting for Oklahoma City in the NBA Finals. People there -- the capital city has a population of 80,000 -- could, for obvious reasons, identify with a small-market, underdog team.

I asked her if the channel that carries NBA games ever televises baseball or pro football from the U.S., and she said no, she's never watched them. You ever hear of Tom Brady, I asked her. "Tom Brady? No."

It's crazy to me that the people of Bhutan got up at 6 in the morning to root for the Thunder. It's a strange world we live in. The NBA has absolutely killed the NFL, MLB, and NASCAR in globalizing. Like Soccer, there is something special about basketball.

^ I think it is mostly socio-economics...basketball game is an easier game for school systems to adapt and introduce to kids. Part of it also may come down to a "coolness" factor...when kids aspire to be like prominent athletes I doubt they think of baseball players...at least I didn't growing up.

* on the meeks thing, he is an upgrade over Roger Mason that is for sure, but outside of being a 3 point specialist he doesn't do much else. I would love to see him be the 2nd guard in when Beal is ready to start since Meeks has fairly good 3 pt%s.

Edited by nuposse87

^ I think it is mostly socio-economics...basketball game is an easier game for school systems to adapt and introduce to kids. Part of it also may come down to a "coolness" factor...when kids aspire to be like prominent athletes I doubt they think of baseball players...at least I didn't growing up.

Football is my favorite sport, but Basketball is a special kind of fun. You're right about the coolness factor. Basketball has heroes like other sports can't. Baseball and football are more team oriented and the individual stars don't shine as bright. Plus football careers are so short relatively speaking. And there is something breathtaking about NBA players. They're literally larger than life. Over the years, their sport has cultivated freakish levels of speed, hand-eye and foot coordination and body control in them. You're going to be blown away by stuff they do several times a game.

Basketball is also the most played sport in America at the youth level IIRC. Probably second most played worldwide after Soccer. One of the things that makes American football so inaccessible to many is how only a small portion of its market played the sport as a kid.