Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Did I really see that? I know we beat a team at home who was on the 2nd game of a back to back but it still felt good.

I'd say it's going to be hard for Flop to insert Lewis and Blatche both in the starting line up after the shake up and subsequent victory last night.

There was more talk about Veseley in this thread than talk about Booker and Singleton - which surprised me. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Booker was solid as usual. Low usage, efficient production. This is the biggest difference between him and Blatche. Blatche stops the flow of the offense by playing iso with his man. Maybe you let him do that against the other teams backups but as a starter, he kills the flow on offense and doesn't do a good enough job on the defensive end to make up for it. Booker will give you efficient scoring on offense and much much better defense.

Edited by No Excuses

Our biggest need right now is a go to scorer, preferably at SG and or PF. Thankfully those are the strongest positions in this year's draft. We can either keep Young and go PF like Davis or Sullinger, or let Young walk and draft Kidd-Gilchrist or Lamb and try to make a push for Kevin Love in FA(unlikely).

Quincy Miller, Harrison Barnes, and Perry Jones are all extremely impressive too.

I wish we had two lottery picks. We could get a PF and get a quality scoring wing in the same draft and be hunky dory.

All in all, I think you go big if you have the chance--Drummond, Davis, Sullinger, etc.

But barring that, I'd be thrilled finding a top notch SG or SF that can shoot the rock.

The only problem is that it's going to be a while before guys like Anthony Davis and Andre Drummond turn into top notch scorers.

There was more talk about Veseley in this thread than talk about Booker and Singleton - which surprised me. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

It's just that Vesely is new and Booker (esp) and Singleton have already been discussed. Last night was really our first look at Vesely.

---------- Post added January-11th-2012 at 11:53 AM ----------

Im happy and all about the win. But damnit to hell... Im home for 3 weeks and my two teams collectively go 0-10. And a miserable 0-10 at that. The day i leave' date=' the bullets win. Those ****s![/quote']

Don't come home again. Thanks.

Quincy Miller, Harrison Barnes, and Perry Jones are all extremely impressive too.

I wish we had two lottery picks. We could get a PF and get a quality scoring wing in the same draft and be hunky dory.

All in all, I think you go big if you have the chance--Drummond, Davis, Sullinger, etc.

But barring that, I'd be thrilled finding a top notch SG or SF that can shoot the rock.

The only problem is that it's going to be a while before guys like Anthony Davis and Andre Drummond turn into top notch scorers.

I'm still not quite sold on Perry Jones, he has that Lamar Odom ability to flash immense talent, but will also disappear for huge stretches of games.

Going into Wall's 3rd year, and year 3 of the rebuild, I'm not sure if the front office will want to go with another project type of player. I could see them going with Barnes/Sullinger because they have alot of talent and are probably the best bets to produce something immediately.

Then again if Ernie is replaced, like most of us hope, then it could alter that strategy.

Edited by StillUnknown

Lamb is the scorer this team needs, esp if Nick Young is gone. Somewhere along the way we need a 4 that can score in the low post. If we can find a serviceable one through trade or FA, that would be great. Maybe trade a 2nd for Luke Ridinour to back up Wall or another Vet PG that can come cheap.

A Team of:

Wall/Vet PG/Mack

Lamb/Young?/Crawford

Singleton/Booker/Jan

Millisap?/Jan/Seraphin

Mcgee/Turiaf or Vet C

Phase out Blatche and Lewis.

All those player developing and Lamb coming in scoring like he can mixed with a solid 4 who can score in the low post, that team can easily contend for a playoff spot next year.

Basketball writer Sam Smith was interviewed on Tony Kornheiser's show and had some interesting things to say about Wall.

1.)Wall is not a basketball player. He's a track star.

2.)He doesn't make players better.

3.)Smith would take 10 pgs over Wall.....including several in this draft.

4.)You can't build a franchise around him.

:munchout:

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Because I'm sure Sam Smith is watching Wizards games.

I think Smith was a little harsh in his criticisms but I sort of agree him.

1.)I think Wall's a better athlete than he is a basketball player....right now.

2.)I think his ceiling is a franchise level player, his floor is a very good player. Basically a "Robin" to someone else's "Batman".

3.)I wouldn't take 10 PGs over Wall but he's not at the top of my list right now.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Having this team around wall does not help his devolpment, that being said last night saw some good things from him, he needs to dedicate this offseason shooting all day and all night long...no pickup games please. On order to be a good shooter you have to PRACTICE shooting. You look at all the good shooters in the league and they are always shooting before and after practice.

I was at the game yesterday (one of the few) and I really didn't like Wall's body language. He looked disinterested and lacked energy. I know it's hard to get up for a game when you start the season 0-8 but as a leader on this team he has to show a more positive attitude. I also thought that whenever McGee was in the game, there was a lot more energy. Looking at his stats you wouldn't necessarily have thought he had a good game (especially with 6 TOs), but his presence definitely affected the team in a positive way.

Wall will be fine.

---------- Post added January-11th-2012 at 01:54 PM ----------

I'll say one thing for Wall. The players know who the other good players are, and every great player in the league has had nothing but huge praise for Wall. He'll be elite in a few seasons.

As for his body language last night, he looked very exuberant and happy to be here. Wall is definitely a quality leader and he took the losing streak upon himself in the post game interviews and showed some genuine leadership and understanding of his role. He's precocious. He'll be a true franchise player in a little while. That's been the plan from day one.

---------- Post added January-11th-2012 at 01:57 PM ----------

Because I'm sure Sam Smith is watching Wizards games.

Take his name down too. Add another one to the list of prisoner of the moment 24 hour news cycle haters that will be choking on crow in a year or two.

In my Wizards association on NBA 2K12 I traded Rashard Lewis, Nick Young, and Hamadi Nidayeae and my first round pick to Indiana for Danny Granger and their first round pick.

I made the playoffs and Granger had like 20 PPG but got hurt and I ended up losing in 7 games in the first round. I picked 25th. The Pacers finished with the 12th best chance in the lottery. They had less than 1% chance of winning on that pick.

Of course I won the lottery LOL! What's more, Cleveland offered me the second overall pick during the draft for Danny Granger and Gilbert Arenas (who I signed for nothing as a FA) PLUS they threw in their 2013 first rounder.

So just to sum all of that up, I traded away Rashard Lewis, Nick Young's soon to be unrestricted free agent ass, a Gilbert Arenas I only signed for a tiny contract because I needed a 2, and Hamidy Nidayeaeiaie for a net return of three first round picks, including the 2012 first and second overall selections. I took Harrison Barnes and Jeremy Lamb. I even had the option of trading Javale for the fifth overall pick (when Andre Drummond was still on the board) but turned the offer down because my heist had been so complete that I actually felt bad for the rest of the league.

Can this please, please happen in real life?

In my Wizards association on NBA 2K12 I traded Rashard Lewis, Nick Young, and Hamadi Nidayeae and my first round pick to Indiana for Danny Granger and their first round pick.

I made the playoffs and Granger had like 20 PPG but got hurt and I ended up losing in 7 games in the first round. I picked 25th. The Pacers finished with the 12th best chance in the lottery. They had less than 1% chance of winning on that pick.

Of course I won the lottery LOL! What's more, Cleveland offered me the second overall pick during the draft for Danny Granger and Gilbert Arenas (who I signed for nothing as a FA) PLUS they threw in their 2013 first rounder.

So just to sum all of that up, I traded away Rashard Lewis, Nick Young's soon to be unrestricted free agent ass, a Gilbert Arenas I only signed for a tiny contract because I needed a 2, and Hamidy Nidayeaeiaie for a net return of three first round picks, including the 2012 first and second overall selections. I took Harrison Barnes and Jeremy Lamb. I even had the option of trading Javale for the fifth overall pick (when Andre Drummond was still on the board) but turned the offer down because my heist had been so complete that I actually felt bad for the rest of the league.

My player I created scored 33 a game with Wall, McGee, Blatche and Vesely all pretty developed in the high 70s or 80s and we still sucked. I wanted them to trade Blatche for a real PF. He allowed so many offensive boards in games that I played.

My player I created scored 33 a game with Wall, McGee, Blatche and Vesely all pretty developed in the high 70s or 80s and we still sucked. I wanted them to trade Blatche for a real PF. He allowed so many offensive boards in games that I played.

I traded Blatche and Vesely and my 2013 first rounder for LaMarcus Aldridge before the season started. Worth it.

This is why NBA 2k games are stupidly unrealistic.

my team in 2k10:

Wall, X. Henry, Durrant, Griffin, Noah, B. Knight, Salmons, Marion, Ibaka, Q Richardson, Blatche, G Hayword,

all on legit trades.

---------- Post added January-11th-2012 at 06:51 PM ----------

So for those of you who watched the game last night. Did Jan play more 3 or 4? Does anyone think he is suited to play the 4, or is he def a 3. If he could play the 4, we could end up with a rotation like this next year:

Wall

Lamb

Singleton

Vesely

McGee

6th man - Young

Crawford

Booker

The great Mike James, lol. You all see Dallas picked up Yi? Played two games for their D League team, ****ing dominated (26 and 12 iirc) and they called him up. Tyson Chandler who?

Anywway, I'm so getting 2K12 Friday (payday). Last year I averaged 16 assists per game with a rookie Wall and I think 24 points. I can't remember what my roster was when I stopped playing but I had, at some point, Kevin Love and Derozan. Derozan was some goddamn hot or cold game by game. But him and Young made a sick rotation at the 2. Love was averaging 15 boards a game. He was just too slow to run like I wanted to. I traded him for someone. Ugh, can't remember who. I def have to play tonight now. Oh and I also had 3 1sts in the upcoming draft; all 3 destined for the lottery.

Gameplay wise, I like to keep it as realistic as possible. 12 minutes quarters and just the right difficulty settings. I can't just wing it, go one on one every possession. Have to actually run an offense. Was a game out of the 8th seed last I remember.