Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

OMG YES IT IS!

Mayo is 25, I don't think he's got much upside left. Is he going to see drastic growth in his game moving forward? Doubt it.

Mayo can't defend. And I don't think that's any more subjective than making any other judgement about a player. Mayo himself said the reason they demoted him was defense. It's not better in Dallas either, the DMN published an article about Mayo talking about how Carlisle ripped him for his defense. I think Mayo wants to be a good defender and he's a smart, athletic player. He's just not a good defender.

Also Mayo is not a guy who creates for others well nor is he a particularly good rebounder. Certainly not as good a rebounder as Beal is. Mayo has a career A/TO ratio of 1.3 (2.7/2.1), not good, and he's only averaged 3.3 rebounds per game.

Mayo is a gifted scorer, good shooter and good slasher. That's what he is. He can score at an All Star level when he's the featured guy like he has been these first 11 games in Dallas. But he brings nothing else to the table and he's a bit of a gunner. He has not been an efficient player throughout his career. That 60% 3 pt % is going to come down. He's a career .380 3 pt shooter, not bad, but not great. And his .490 FG% is coming down too, he's a career .435 shooter, again not bad, but not very good. Especially considering how good a slasher he is. Career 14.3 PER, which doesn't even really punish him for his defensive weakness.

You really think Gay is the reason Memphis let him walk? They don't even play the same position. They let Mayo walk because they were a better team the less they used him. Tony Allen brought more to the table and they started winning after they demoted Mayo. Mayo is a really smart, humble, hardworking guy by all accounts. Doesn't seem like a bad teammate at all. Has a ton of talent and athleticism. But he's too one dimensional to be the best player for most teams if they want to win.

Granted it only 10 games, but Mayo is looking like an All Star right now.

And yes, Gay is why they fell out with Mayo. Mayo and Gay both need the ball in the same spots on the court. Even though they play different positions, they are very similar players. Its like an inferior version of Bron and Wade for a few years, with the big difference being that Gay and Mayo were never friends

In fact, I feel things fell out of favor for Mayo after Tony Allen beat his ass over a tonk game.

And Mayo can defend, he isnt a great defender but he can defend. Beal hasnt shown me he can granted we are only 10 games into the season.

And Mayo can create offense for himself, which Beal just cant do.

Ive said it consistently, but this Brad Beal hype I never got. He did nothing to separate himself from others last year, but some how had this bandwagon with him over the last 18 months.

Granted it only 10 games, but Mayo is looking like an All Star right now.

And yes, Gay is why they fell out with Mayo. Mayo and Gay both need the ball in the same spots on the court. Even though they play different positions, they are very similar players. Its like an inferior version of Bron and Wade for a few years, with the big difference being that Gay and Mayo were never friends

In fact, I feel things fell out of favor for Mayo after Tony Allen beat his ass over a tonk game.

And Mayo can defend, he isnt a great defender but he can defend. Beal hasnt shown me he can granted we are only 10 games into the season.

And Mayo can create offense for himself, which Beal just cant do.

Ive said it consistently, but this Brad Beal hype I never got. He did nothing to separate himself from others last year, but some how had this bandwagon with him over the last 18 months.

I said it at draft time Beal was overrated. He can't create for himself or teammates on a regular basis. He supposed shooting is suspect as well but everyone ignores stats to look at his 10 game hotstreak. I dont think he is even over 35%fg this season. His high rebounding numbers was because he played alot of Sf.

Keep up the losing! We need Ernie FIRED. GTFO and thanks for trying. You are a poor GM. One lucky trade to get Caron doesn't change that. Can someone start a Facebook petition to fire Ernie. The sad thing is with the losing, the Wiz fanbase is so apathetic now they won't make a stand,

How are we always butt up against the cap? Who the hell are we paying?

Everyone that wants to see the Wizards salary info should click the following link.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/washington-wizards/yearly/

As for your question here are the Wizards top 5 contracts this season:

1 - Okafor (13,490,000)

2 - Nene (13,000,000)

3 - Ariza (7,258,960)

4 - Wall (5,915,880)

5 - Beal (4,133,280)

Keep up the losing! We need Ernie FIRED. GTFO and thanks for trying. You are a poor GM. One lucky trade to get Caron doesn't change that. Can someone start a Facebook petition to fire Ernie. The sad thing is with the losing, the Wiz fanbase is so apathetic now they won't make a stand,

Funny, I didn't know such a thing existed. I guess there are more masochists out there than I thought.

True, but you're vastly underrating Arenas.

Arenas was a Kobe/Wade/LeBron tier offensive player, and had we had a real organization in place that could get Arenas to mature as a person in time before Gilbertology happened, then the history of the Wizards is very different. Even barring that, Arenas on a well constructed team would have won an MVP and possibly a ring. A coach with a stronger hand, and better use of cap money, and that's a 50 win team consistently. And it gets pushed into championship tier status if we trade Jamison for Gasol in 2008 or thereabouts.

Let's say we fire Eddie and Ernie in 2007, and sign Thibodeau as our HC, and Gilbert stays healthy. We trade Jamison for Gasol in 2008 and end up with the following:

Haywood/Thomas

Gasol/Blatche

Butler/McGuire

Stevenson/Young

Arenas/Daniels

That's a team that could win a title and challenge for the ECF for the next few years.

Arenas was a volume shooter shooting in the low 40% range and none of the three played defense. You do not win titles in the NBA playing zero defense. Arenas was not close to as efficient as LeBron or Wade. Those teams were flawed and basically just inferior versions of the Suns teams of those times who at least got to the 2nd round routinely before the Spurs D massacred them.

Edited by Sticksboi05

Gilbert in his prime was one of the most efficient scorers in the NBA. Look up all the advanced stats on him. He was a ridiculous scorer and made everyone around him A LOT better. Jamison, Hughes and Butler owe a lot to Gilbert in terms of the success they had in DC.

Gil would go on hot streaks. But in between man sometimes it'd 30 shots for 20 points. But when he was hot he was red hot. The problem is he was never a great rebounding or passing PG so if he was cold one night he was invisible since he also didn't care about defense.

Gil would go on hot streaks. But in between man sometimes it'd 30 shots for 20 points. But when he was hot he was red hot. The problem is he was never a great rebounding or passing PG so if he was cold one night he was invisible since he also didn't care about defense.

Those cold nights were not that common for him and are experienced by even the best of players in the league.

Gilbert had his faults but scoring wasn't one of them.

Those cold nights were not that common for him and are experienced by even the best of players in the league.

He was a complete scorer. Could score from everywhere on the court, but he was never as efficient as Wade or LeBron. Though he was a hell of a three point shooter. If he hadn't been flattened by Wallace who knows where his career would've gone. Or if the Wiz medical staff had handled his injury properly instead of rushing him back a half dozen times.

Yeah. The biggest problem with Gil, aside from the defense, was the off court stuff. You can't have your best player and leader be doing the kind of stuff he did.

Can you ever imagine LeBron/Wade/Kobe/Dirk/Duncan/KG/Rose/Durant ever taking a dump in one of their teammate's shoes? Could you ever imagine them bringing a ****ing gun into the locker room as part of a damn prank?

The dump prank alone was horrifically unprofessional. Gil was a clown. You can't win with someone like that. Everyone who was involved in that era needs to be gone. We will never stop being a clown show until they are.

Yeah. The biggest problem with Gil, aside from the defense, was the off court stuff. You can't have your best player and leader be doing the kind of stuff he did.

Can you ever imagine LeBron/Wade/Kobe/Dirk/Duncan/KG/Rose/Durant ever taking a dump in one of their teammate's shoes? Could you ever imagine them bringing a ****ing gun into the locker room as part of a damn prank?

The dump prank alone was horrifically unprofessional. Gil was a clown. You can't win with someone like that. Everyone who was involved in that era needs to be gone. We will never stop being a clown show until they are.

Bingo. You cannot win with a clown at the helm. Arenas was never a true leader. Ovechkin is similar to some degree although he is much more reserved than he used to be and he wasn't captain back then either so less consequence.

I rarely post in this thread and if there was a discussion about the game on Sat, I probably missed it.

Anyway it was the first Wizards game I watched in its entirety since early last year.

My humble thoughts/questions:

- Is Wittman considered to be on the hotseat?

- What was the rationale given behind BB playing such few minutes and not starting and not being on the court at the end of the game in the 4th qtr?

-BB really does look 6'3 (why draft a 6'3 2G?)

-Jan Vesely has some game, he's not a stiff but he's small

-The coach is gonna need to tweak there line-up and offense to maximize these BB/Vesley imo

-Seraphin has some decent size and he's working on a baby hook

-Okafor...has he always been this soft?

I rarely post in this thread and if there was a discussion about the game on Sat, I probably missed it.

Anyway it was the first Wizards game I watched in its entirety since early last year.

My humble thoughts/questions:

- Is Wittman considered to be on the hotseat?[/QUOte]

He should be, but he probably isn't. Ted made a big deal about resigning him during the offseason, he won't give up on Wittman this early no matter how clueless he looks. Grunfeld is the bigger issue IMO.

- What was the rationale given behind BB playing such few minutes and not starting and not being on the court at the end of the game in the 4th qtr?

Wittman's rotations cannot be understood by mere mortals.

-BB really does look 6'3 (why draft a 6'3 2G?)

He has other qualities that make up for his lack of ideal height. Despite being a short 2, he showed himself to be a pretty good rebounder in college. Defensively, Wall is long enough to guard 2's if need be.

-Jan Vesely has some game, he's not a stiff but he's small

Vesely needs to be on a contending team for his contributions to matter. The things he is good at matter little on a team that's not going anywhere.

-Seraphin has some decent size and he's working on a baby hook

Seraphin is growing, and experiencing the ups and downs that come along with that territory. Some games he looks like a dominant low post scorer, other games he looks lost when doubled. If he struggles on offense, it often affects other parts of his game, he has to grow out of that. Still very excited to watch him develop though.

-Okafor...has he always been this soft?

Not always, but injuries have killed whatever lift he once had in his legs.

Bingo. You cannot win with a clown at the helm. Arenas was never a true leader. Ovechkin is similar to some degree although he is much more reserved than he used to be and he wasn't captain back then either so less consequence.

Can you imagine the Spurs watching college basketball games in the locker room before a game while the other team is watching tape? Arenas was just one clown in Grunfelds circus.