Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Samuel I agree that he struggled with the pick and roll. Here is a fun question, who on the team doesn't? One guy is getting benched by grunfelds latest mistake... And I get that every coach needs a guy to make an example. Problem is I see the team not moving on offense. I see a perimeter defense that three chairs would compare favorably to. I see teams make huge runs while Whitman has his hands in his pockets. No centers on the floor in half court sets with the game on the line? ****ing brilliant.

Whitman has poured all his energy into motivating the team by being a hard ass. I would applaud it if it wasn't also obvious that he is out of his depth. He's getting energy and he's got know idea what to do with it.

I agree with this completely. Wittman's definitely improved the effort and energy, but the basic X's & O's are still lacking.

The double standards with discipline go back to when Flip was here, it bothered me then, and bothers me now. You get the sense Wittman would take it further if the roster allowed, but somehow Grunfeld assembled a roster in which points from McGee & Young are actually relied upon.

lol. We get 15 three's dropped on us tonight, and Javale is still being blamed for our poor defense. And he was barely even playing!

What is going to happen to this team when Wall breaks down? He has played like 34+ min per game for a while now. Tonight was over 40. Wittman is a dumbass who doesnt know when to sub, doesnt know how to handle players, and specializes in losing. I hope for the best this offseason, but if grunfield is still here...

Wall needs too be out there on the floor for 40 minutes hes young and he is the best player on the team he needs too be in the game for the most part.

The damn double standard on this team is unreal I have been noticing McGee gets torched almost every game, when other players on the team are not doing there roles. We basically running the man out of town, now we will have to replace him instead of adding too the team. McGee is going too be a star in the league sooner rather than later it wouldn't surprise me if he jumps too 16 and 10 with 4 blocks and be a all star next year or the year after.

Right. I also believe i am Chuck Norris.

Right now he averages 12, 8, and 3 in only 27 minutes

I see no reason why he can't score 4 more points and get 2 more rebounds if he continues too work on his game. Nice too meet you Chuck Norris

Edited by SiCkSoULjA

I agree about the double standard, I assume it's because McGee is older than the other guys (barely) and one of the most visible players on the team.

But if Whitman was truly being fair and consistent, Singleton would be benched too because he hasn't been defending well and he doesn't box out on rebounds and is giving up second chance points at crucial moments, plus his shot selection has really been terrible the past two nights.

Also, there are times when Crawford's shot selection should have him benched, and it's true, our overall effort defending the perimeter is really poor. Some of those threes were unstoppable--Nelson from two or three feet behind the line with a hand in his face, Anderson in transition, open kick outs after long offensive rebounds. Even veteran teams have trouble defending the three ball from Orlando because they can easily trot out four guys at any time who can drain them.

But a lot of those threes came because we played the perimeter too damn soft. Know who your playing coach. Our defenders needed to be up on the shooters and force the ball inside to Dwight. He can rack up 40 but as long as you defend the three, the Magic will lose. That's how the good teams always beat them in the playoffs. Plus Booker and Seraphin were making Dwight super uncomfortable on their own.

Also, Booker needs to improve his perimeter defense if he wants to become truly valuable to our team. He gives his best efforts when defending opponents in the paint but falls asleep on shooters, He's got the speed to be a good perimeter defender.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

Wall needs too be out there on the floor for 40 minutes hes young and he is the best player on the team he needs too be in the game for the most part.

Yeah.. I am aware of that. I'm just afraid of him eventually getting injured because of the minutes after watching the same thing happen to butler and Jamison.

Some of you guys just have WAY too much hope and expectations for a mid 1st round pick. McGee is what he is and was picked where he was because he wasn't that good. I'm afraid, what you see is what you are going to get. He's not Dwight Howard, he's not Kevin Garnett, he's Javale McGee. He was not drafted to be a superstar and never will be. Just be glad for the contributions he gives as a mid 1st round pick, because if you look at it in that light, he's what an 18th overall selection should be.

Right now he averages 12, 8, and 3 in only 27 minutes

I see no reason why he can't score 4 more points and get 2 more rebounds if he continues too work on his game. Nice too meet you Chuck Norris

Because with Javale it's not physical, it's mental, it's maturity, it's motivation and heart with him. You just can't "improve" with those things, either you have it or you don't. And he shows that he's lacking in many of those areas and not not willing to change.

If his issues were physical and you told me he needs to get in the weight room and bulk up, or work on his conditioning, or work with a free throw shooting coach then i could accept in a year or two him improving if he did those things. But those things aren't his main problem.

I agree the alot of these guys suck on defense. I also agree Whittman is a worthless x and o coach but I felt the same way about Flip. But the effort JaVale gives on the perimeter playing pick&rolls is unacceptable. And to top it off he has no clue on how to defend it.

And yes Steve there is problems boxing out but its because of the poorous pick&roll defense. Nobody is rotating over on the screener so now he is inside of our guy right off the roll going to the basket. It happened to Singleton the other night at the end of the Bucks game that was'nt on him he had to stop the ball. I seen alot of people blaming him.

Thats why i've moaned and groaned for a vet pick&roll coach like JVG or Sloan. Because Wall in a pick&roll heavy offense with shooters will be a nightmare. And maybe playing for a defensively sound coach and practicing againest the pick&roll everyday the light switch will go on for some of these guys

I'm not a JaVale hater at all but he is 24 now and he played 2 years in college at some point the lightswitch has to cut on if its ever going to.

I wish somebody could put up the video of the play that got McGee yanked last night around the 8 min mark in the 4th.

McGee frankly has become Whittman's distraction of choice. I'm almost impressed. We get torched last night by shooters? McGee (17 minutes). We get torched by Mike friggin Dunleavy and the coach decides to not put in a defensive center when we are up 1 point? McGee (17 minutes). Kings use three guards to kill the Wizards? McGee's fault. Suns go on a huge run in the 3rd and the coach literally watches it happen? McGee's fault.

At this point I think they should just trade him because he isn't going to resign and I'm sick of the focus being so incredibly misplaced.

And yes Steve there is problems boxing out but its because of the poorous pick&roll defense. Nobody is rotating over on the screener so now he is inside of our guy right off the roll going to the basket. It happened to Singleton the other night at the end of the Bucks game that was'nt on him he had to stop the ball. I seen alot of people blaming him.

Two things:

1 - No one rotating is something I've pointed out ever since people started blaming McGee/Blatche/Seraphin/Booker for easy dunks while they came out to challenge the driving player. No one in DC likes to place blame on the perimeter players not named Nick Young, and even then only for offense. Was anyone benched for that poor play that cost the game? No.

2 - Bucks took a timeout down 1 point with 6 seconds left. Everyone that has ever watched the NBA knew that they would try to get something near the rim. Only if they couldn't would they settle for a shot. This is a play when you want your biggest on the floor guarding the rim and securing that rebound. What does Whittless do? Subs in Singleton for Mason. Seraphin and McGee get to watch this play from the sidelines. What happens? 6-10 Ersan Ilyasova gets the put back for the win. One of two Bucks players standing shoulder to shoulder under the basket.

Two things:

1 - No one rotating is something I've pointed out ever since people started blaming McGee/Blatche/Seraphin/Booker for easy dunks while they came out to challenge the driving player. No one in DC likes to place blame on the perimeter players not named Nick Young, and even then only for offense. Was anyone benched for that poor play that cost the game? No.

2 - Bucks took a timeout down 1 point with 6 seconds left. Everyone that has ever watched the NBA knew that they would try to get something near the rim. Only if they couldn't would they settle for a shot. This is a play when you want your biggest on the floor guarding the rim and securing that rebound. What does Whittless do? Subs in Singleton for Mason. Seraphin and McGee get to watch this play from the sidelines. What happens? 6-10 Ersan Ilyasova gets the put back for the win. One of two Bucks players standing shoulder to shoulder under the basket.

I agree. Thats also why NY has gone to bench with McGee

I expect more from McGee if he is getting a big contract and he is gonna be a core guy. I can live with guys getting pushed around or flatout beat. But halfassed effort is unacceptable on any level.

If you could transplant Bookers heart and brains into McGee you might have a hall of fame player.

Thinking about it, this NBA 2012 draft isn't as stacked as every said it was going to be. Plus, I think a lot of players are going to come back to school again. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sully and Barnes return. We might end up having to take Beal if he comes out, in the top 5. Which, might turn out great. I'd love Thomas Robinson and John Jenkins from Vandy in the 2nd or maybe buy a late first rounder. A productive PF with a lights out shooter.

Thinking about it, this NBA 2012 draft isn't as stacked as every said it was going to be. Plus, I think a lot of players are going to come back to school again. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sully and Barnes return. We might end up having to take Beal if he comes out, in the top 5. Which, might turn out great. I'd love Thomas Robinson and John Jenkins from Vandy in the 2nd or maybe buy a late first rounder. A productive PF with a lights out shooter.

MKG has already said he's going back.

as long as we can come out of the draft with either The Unibrow or T.Robinson, I'm good.

Edited by StillUnknown

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2012/3/1/2837927/javale-mcgee-nba-free-agency-2012-and-moving-forward

Perhaps JaVale McGee really is the victim of several years of a horrendous culture. Perhaps JaVale McGee really is the one that gets away and makes the Washington Wizards pay several years down the road like predecessors Chris Webber, Rasheed Wallace and Rip Hamilton. But those are fears of the great unknown, and they say way more about things that have little to do with McGee than with McGee himself.

In the here and the now, the reality is this: the Wizards are creeping up on a day where they must start to view McGee as a certainty instead of a project, and McGee's demonstrated very little hope that he can be a certainty.

Blame whoever you want, but that's where we're at right now. The latest episode doesn't really tell us anything we didn't know already. Randy Wittman, fed up with McGee's inattention to detail and his inability to process all the things that he needs to process to play center in the NBA in 2012, benched him for the second half of Tuesday's game against the Milwaukee Bucks. The Wizards went on a major run in the second half before losing, so Wittman rewarded the players who nearly won the game by giving them more playing time against Orlando. After McGee was reduced to a second-line player in what proved to be another relatively acceptable effort against the Magic, both he and Wittman revealed that they talked between games. When asked whether he "understood" Wittman's message, McGee said he didn't, but is sure he'll figure it out soon.

Wittman denied that he was sending a message at practice on Thursday, saying he was just coaching. But part of coaching is sending messages, and the message to McGee was strong. The Wizards have tried to figure out a way to coax some cerebral play from McGee's numerous gifts, and it just hasn't happened. Blame whatever factors you want on that -- McGee's physical condition stemming from his asthma, his lack of lateral quickness given his frame, his mother being in his ear, his own desire to skip algebra and go straight to advanced calculus -- but that's the reality.

And now, it's time for the organization to move on.

Much more in the link.

It is an interesting article that brings up many points. But it doesnt answer how we will fill 4 starting roster spots next year should we let mcgee walk. We wouldnt even have 1 center left on this roster if we dont resign him. We have far more pressing needs to fill on the team. Deandre Jordan cant be compared to this team because he plays with Chris Paul and Blake Griffin. Im sorry, but that is just not a fair comparison. Mcgee is playing with john wall and a bunch of scrubs. I choose to bring him back if only to prevent the team from having to fill out an entire roster in one offseason. If that is the case, we might as well get ready to see John Wall pack his bags, because i assure you that he will not stick around for 2 more rebuilding years.

Edited by Skin'emAlive

I agree with it 110% as I said earlier. McGee is never gonna be a cerebal player as much as I wish he could. His athletic gifts are so great that you just hang onto hope. But as I said earlier i'd look to see his value and would move him for the right young 2,3 or 4 that fits with Wall.

But I still don't think any team is gonna throw huge money 8 MILLION + his way and he might be back on his RFA 1 year tender like NY.

At this point we have Wall and a bunch of role/bench players. Nobody in our starting 5 besides Wall starts on a really good team.

---------- Post added March-2nd-2012 at 03:45 AM ----------

It is an interesting article that brings up many points. But it doesnt answer how we will fill 4 starting roster spots next year should we let mcgee walk. We wouldnt even have 1 center left on this roster if we dont resign him. We have far more pressing needs to fill on the team. Deandre Jordan cant be compared to this team because he plays with Chris Paul and Blake Griffin. Im sorry' date=' but that is just not a fair comparison. Mcgee is playing with john wall and a bunch of scrubs. I choose to bring him back if only to prevent the team from having to fill out an entire roster in one offseason. If that is the case, we might as well get ready to see John Wall pack his bags, because i assure you that he will not stick around for 2 more rebuilding years.[/quote']

Jordan is a very good defender on the perimeter and in the post. He is a garbage player on offense but lets not act like McGee is'nt a garbage player either on offense. Both get easy points off dunks and make the occasional hook or nice shot but the majority comes from the PG setting them up. And at this point McGee is a top option on our team while Jordan is'nt with all the players on that team.

Comparing McGee directly to Jordan may not be fair, that's true, but McGee's on/off differential is substantially worse than any other Wizards starters.

Yeah, the team is bad, but the stats indicate that despite his decent averages he makes the team worse when he's out there.

Edited by MonkFan8

I wouldn't compare McGee to guys like Hamilton and Webber. Webber was a star who helped carry this team to the playoffs at an age similar to McGee's. He was a MUCH better player and was traded for a stupid reason. Hamilton really wasn't given time to shine but most people knew he would have been a quality starting SG but unfortunately MJ being player/GM didn't want to keep a guy who was playing his position.

Show of hands please... Who was high on Deandre Jordan last season? Who was talking about this center putting up 7 points and 7 boards? This is with Blake Griffin and Eric Gordon. This season? Chris Paul, Griffin, Butler, Foye, Martin, and Williams. Anyone want to argue Jordan is blowing McGee away as a center this season?

I do agree it's time for McGee to go because frankly I don't think it's a wizards decision for much longer. Whitman has seen to that. Sadly the coach has reduced his value prior to a potential trade. In the mean time I'll be waiting patiently for Seraphin to grow into his starting role or for the wizards to actually win a game playing small ball.

Edited by Destino

That article is all well and good, but as others have said, it doesn't even remotely address the serious problem we'll have replacing McGee if he leaves. It says a bunch of vague nonsense about nameless options available in free agency and the draft without giving us a single specific example. I've parsed through the FA and draft names myself and I know there isn't a better, realistic option for us in free agency and the draft is a crap shoot without a single dominant center prospect in our draft range. This guy throws out unnamed late first round options (Fab Melo?) as his example? Give me a ****ing break. Not only will those guys take forever to develop, not a single one in this year's class has McGee's talent--and McGee himself was a ****ing prayer at 18.

Successfully replacing McGee is the bottom line to the debate. If you can't do better than McGee, and you can keep him for fair market value, then you have to keep him. A 12-10-2 on 52% shooting center is valuable. He's not perfect, never will be, but by the standards of the position around the league, he is more than good enough.

Also, I think the point about not being able to coax cerebral play out of McGee demonstrates the kind of thinking about McGee that makes Whittman look like such an ineffectual coach. McGee will never be a cerebral player. That's not his makeup. And that's fine. He's an emotion/instinct player that thrives on finding rhythms and making impact type plays. When he gets into a rhythm early, he can be a legit force just like he was in the two Boston games early in the season. When he doesn't get into the game early on, he's going to struggle and make dumb lapses in focus. He's not an even kilter player and trying to make him one by punishing him is bad management. This is how we're failing to develop him. A great coach can coax the most out of his players no matter what their personalities are like because a great coach is part psychologist and can identify the way his players tick and manage them accordingly.

---------- Post added March-2nd-2012 at 01:16 AM ----------

The only way I'm going to be OK with McGee leaving is if we get something awesome in return for him or following his departure.

I'll be OK if we find a way to acquire DeMarcus Cousins without giving up Wall.

And I'll be OK if we turn McGee into a really good 2, 3, or 4 so long as we find a veteran seven footer that won't crap his pants when asked to assume McGee's minutes.

But barring all of that happening, losing McGee significantly damages the team. These are critical years for the John Wall era to get off the ground.

The fact that we are even talking about cerebral play on a team that plays hero offense 50% of the time and most of the starters and bench players suffer massive defensive lapses every single game is a joke. Our star drives straight into triple teams 5 times a game every game hoping for a whistle. I'm not even going to get into the routine every game acts of sheer stupidity I see from the rest that aren't nearly as good as Wall.

Upgrading this teams basketball IQ should start with GM and head coach.

Edited by Destino

The fact that we are even talking about cerebral play on a team that plays hero offense 50% of the time and most of the starters and bench players suffer massive defensive lapses every single game is a joke. Our star drives straight into triple teams 5 times a game every game hoping for a whistle. I'm not even going to get into the routine every game acts of sheer stupidity I see from the rest that aren't nearly as good as Wall.

Upgrading this teams basketball IQ should start with GM and head coach.

The reason why EG should have been fired with Flip. He put the mish mash together.