Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Just now, TryTheBeal! said:

Drummond is a FA in 3 months.

Gotta give yourself a shot. Can’t have it both ways. Either you are rebuilding anew, or you are trying to build around wall/Beal while they are in their prime. Pick one. 

We have no center, no ability to get a center in FA, and its a crap shoot where we are going to pick this year to get a 5-man who could actually help Wall/Beal within the next 2-3 years. 

16 minutes ago, Destino said:

You know what the more I think about it, the more bummed I get about losing McRae for a bunch of guys that don’t move the needle.  It’s not that McRae was great or anything, but he was one of those underdog players I just enjoyed rooting for.  He seemed to get along well with his teammates too.  

I hear you but this move frees up time for Garrett Matthews when he returns. 😀

Just now, StillUnknown said:

Hard pass, unless he can be had for under 10mil per

Drummond has his flaws but a great rebounder would make a world of difference defensively here.  It's easy to forget how many second chance points the Wizards give up (currently 29th out of 30 in that category).  Can't really afford to pay much to anyone right now though. 

1 hour ago, Destino said:

Drummond has his flaws but a great rebounder would make a world of difference defensively here.  It's easy to forget how many second chance points the Wizards give up (currently 29th out of 30 in that category).  Can't really afford to pay much to anyone right now though. 

its enough out there about Drummond and his work ethic that I dont think the new boss can bring him after spending so much time trying to change a culture

the moments are brilliance for drummond are far outweighed by the "this dude should be more" moments

• Like 1

Not impressed by any of these moves frankly.  We need a capable big man that can defend the rim and rebound. How long has that been an issue? Forever.

I'd like to make a run at Drummond when he becomes a free agent. There aren't many other good options. Unless we want to stick with Ian Mahinmi lol. That guy sure robbed us.

5 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

its enough out there about Drummond and his work ethic that I dont think the new boss can bring him after spending so much time trying to change a culture

the moments are brilliance for drummond are far outweighed by the "this dude should be more" moments 

Yep.  He's become sulky and he doesn't play hard if he can't get a rebound or block someone into the stands.  He's become an entitled player with losing habits.  I'm not a fan of his any more.

Feels like we're never going to get a good center.  The few who aren't crazy are locked into their teams for good.

I'm fine with the deadline moves.  They were modest and reasonably productive.  We leveraged our timetable for minor long term asset growth.  Mainly, I'm relieved that we didn't make any short term moves to appease Beal.  You all know we were all shook by the rumors about Tristan Thompson.  I mainly feel good that move didn't happen, as it would have undermined my confidence in Tommy and given me bad flashbacks of Ernie.

The only disappointment for me was not getting something for Bertans.  We had an opportunity to sell high, and keeping him is not the right move for a team that is so heavily invested in guards.  We need defenders in order to copy the Toronto model.

The other thing is, I don't think appeasing Beal has been necessary this year.  He knows the score.  He wants to make the playoffs, but he knows it can't happen at the expense of the future.

46 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Dallas had so many orebs in the 1st half..

Only 2 so far in the 2nd half though. 

Too many weak indecisive drives at the rim by the wizards in the last 2 or three minutes.

Watching this 2nd half and the democratic national debate at the same time is making my head hurt. 

Brunson's drive didn't even get to the elbow, and the Wizards defender (maybe Beal?) was already 15 feet away from his assignment in the corner.  The no mans land defense is the hallmark of Brooks' coaching tenure.  The entire team plays it and it is awful. 

5 minutes ago, Destino said:

Beal set you guys up for that.  Not just here but in all the small dusty corners of the web where the dozen or so Wizard fans discuss basketball.  He missed some bunnies and then BOOM killed all of you at once. 

end of the game is funny like that. one make, erases 15 misses

• Like 1