Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

the "this team fought" narrative is already growing tired

you not fighting when you have the worst defense in the history of the league

Beal agrees with you, can hear it in his voice. I hear more excuses than reasons for why we keep losing to Orlando at home.  I had to tell my dad I love him, but no 8th seed talk until we can beat sub-500 teams at home again.

Just now, StillUnknown said:

no he isn't

the year before he got his max deal, Otto was an elite 3pt shooter. Rui still seems scared to attempt them

You beat Steve to his trigonomical methodology in explaining how Otto is a basketball God that we just never learned to use right.  Rui would dunk on him and make Otto pass the ball the rest of the game until he got home to his Teddy.  He's the murderer Wall and Beal deserve, some **** you can't coach.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You beat Steve to his trigonomical methodology in explaining how Otto is a basketball God that we just never learned to use right.  Rui would dunk on him and make Otto pass the ball the rest of the game until he got home to his Teddy.  He's the murderer Wall and Beal deserve, some **** you can't coach.

I was never that high on Otto, but you cannot say Rui is better now than Otto ever was. its just inaccurate. Rui has flashed some good games, but there are some things that concern me about his overall ceiling for the team. Right now, if he's not scoring, he's irrelevant to the game. He has a really good midrange game, but thats all he has right now. He doesn't get to the line because he settles for midrange, he doesn't take 3's because he has no confidence in his shot from that range. Being really good at the most inefficient shot in the game will severely limit his potential going forward. He definitely has more dog in him than Otto ever did, but there still needs to be a skillset to compliment that dog.

6 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

I was never that high on Otto, but you cannot say Rui is better now than Otto ever was. its just inaccurate. Rui has flashed some good games, but there are some things that concern me about his overall ceiling for the team. Right now, if he's not scoring, he's irrelevant to the game. He has a really good midrange game, but thats all he has right now. He doesn't get to the line because he settles for midrange, he doesn't take 3's because he has no confidence in his shot from that range. Being really good at the most inefficient shot in the game will severely limit his potential going forward. He definitely has more dog in him than Otto ever did, but there still needs to be a skillset to compliment that dog.

That's what kills me about this conversation.  You are absolutely right that Ottos three point shooting was one of the best in NBA at one point.  But what did he do with it?  Waited for permission to use it while our HCs tried to keep him efficient instead of overusing him.  A top 5 pick.  

If its balls to the wall time, I'd rather have Rui.  The fact he has confidence in a shot you cant run from in the playoffs would make Whitman proud.  We cant keep games close to have game winning shot situations, but I'd feel so much better giving Rui a chance because Otto never wanted it.  That's something that doesnt show up on the stats sheet that the whole team feels.

I should jus tap out, my frustration with Otto are probably only exceed by Wall and Beal.  There arent any stats that could convince me to take him over Rui right now, an irreparable nearly blinding level of bias I have against him now, I'll admit it.  

On 12/3/2019 at 11:15 PM, StillUnknown said:

1- The three point shot will come with time.  He can shoot from everywhere else, so this isn’t a case of a poor shooter learning to shoot.  Rui is a good shooter that is working to extend his range.

2- He’s not just a mid range shooter. His %of FGA shrinks as you move further from the rim with most of his shots coming within ten feet.  (For perspective, the free throw line is 15 feet from the rim). He’s not a guy making a living taking long twos, which are the least efficient shot in basketball. 
3- Rui is a rookie.  Otto didn’t even see the floor as a rookie.  Efficiency isn’t something rookies in the nba do well, that comes with experience.  

Rui does have a lot to improve, and I don’t think he’s better than Otto right now in the team game (which is how basketball is played). Otto makes everyone better and had a knack for snatching big rebounds in big moments.  He just wasn’t aggressive enough to justify his contract.  He’s a very good role player making star money.

i think he will be better by year three.  Certainly a much better Power Forward.  Otto can’t stay healthy banging in the paint.

Edited by Destino
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Destino said:

1- The three point shot will come with time.  He can shoot from everywhere else, so this isn’t a case of a poor shooter learning to shoot.  Rui is a good shooter that is working to extend his range.

2- He’s not just a mid range shooter. His %of FGA shrinks as you move further from the rim with most of his shots coming within ten feet.  (For perspective, the free throw line is 15 feet from the rim). He’s not a guy making a living taking long twos, which are the least efficient shot in basketball. 
3- Rui is a rookie.  Otto didn’t even see the floor as a rookie.  Efficiency isn’t something rookies in the nba do well, that comes with experience.  

Rui does have a lot to improve, and I don’t think he’s better than Otto right now in the team game (which is how basketball is played). Otto makes everyone better and had a knack for snatching big rebounds in big moments.  He just wasn’t aggressive enough to justify his contract.  He’s a very good role player making star money.

i think will be better by year three.  Certainly a much better Power Forward.  Otto can stay healthy banging in the paint.

Fred Katz pointed out something that I hadn't really noticed before. Rui has 2 different jumpshots, he uses a different form on a 3pt shot. He releases his ball on the way down which causes him to come up short alot. Ugly form jumpshots ultimately don't matter as long as they are consistent, I don't remember hearing many instances of a player having 2 different shots based on distance

15 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Fred Katz pointed out something that I hadn't really noticed before. Rui has 2 different jumpshots, he uses a different form on a 3pt shot. He releases his ball on the way down which causes him to come up short alot. Ugly form jumpshots ultimately don't matter as long as they are consistent, I don't remember hearing many instances of a player having 2 different shots based on distance

That just looks like lack of confidence and too little time working on it.  When you don’t believe in your shot you start doing weird stuff like trying to guide the ball or otherwise screwing the release up.  Once he spends an offseason or two getting up thousands of threes it will be muscle memory like the rest.  

There’s a lot of hesitation in his game that speaks to a lack of confidence at the nba level.  He clearly hasn’t adjusted to the speed of the game yet.  

• Like 1

Probably the ugliest screen attempt ever made by Mahinmi.

Just came up and pushed the guy like he just said something about his sister..

Nice job though being physical against Embiid. Good defense.

Edited by CRobi21
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Need to keep Bertans healthy at all costs. Need to get initiate a bidding war with him at the deadline.

Rui hit a 3, and the choir sings "O Happy Day"

defense goes to typical bad instead of historically bad with IT out.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

Isaiah Thomas goes down and the Wizards immediately look much better.  Cut him.

Bertans plays defense like he’s pretending to act like he’s defending his guy just so he can give up the bucket as quick as possible to get the ball back ASAP so he can get another shot off lol

Edited by -JB-