Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Heard Brooks during the post game say that the team only played one defensive possession tonight. I can't find the lie. Lol 

Also, there's something I've been noticing and it's starting to happen more. Wall passes are getting intercepted more since the All-Star break. I don't know if his timing is off or if teams have him pegged now, but it's something I've been seeing.

Magic deserved to win tonight. They have some ballers on that team.

Wall is getting picked off because he's making things too easy on the defense.  His solo drives at defenders waiting for him at the rim without a rolling big man gives him two options:  make an extremely difficult shot or kick it to either corner.  All defenders are looking at him when he puts his head down.  He has to switch it up, pull back that dribble and hit a cutting player and thus taking advantage of defenders watching him.  Perhaps just keep his dribble and circle away once in a while.  He does nothing else, however, and by doing so makes life easy for any defense.  This is a step back to his worst habits from seasons past.   

The Wizards aren't at their best when Wall or Beal charge around the floor while the other four players stand still.  Wall needs to pick his spots and show some variety to his game.  The kind of thing he was doing before the allstar break.  

• Like 3

Maybe... But you can't tell me that Westbrook goes to the basket with anything other than a bull rush and a desire to score. It's the same thing every time and it gets calls. Wall is trying everything ( now including the Kamba walker scream) and nothing is working. They just won't call it, and I think it has something to do with his reputation as a facilitator and not a shoot-first guard. 

i think beal might have quietly had one of his best games this year.  Not in his scoring totals but in how he did it.  He made a lot of impressive looking plays around the basket.  Not all threes.  I think he might be taking it to another level in front of our eyes.  we'll see if he can keep it up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Maybe... But you can't tell me that Westbrook goes to the basket with anything other than a bull rush and a desire to score. It's the same thing every time and it gets calls. Wall is trying everything ( now including the Kamba walker scream) and nothing is working. They just won't call it, and I think it has something to do with his reputation as a facilitator and not a shoot-first guard. 

I think it has more to do with his reputation with the refs.  They're cliquish and they have it out for him.  Wall cusses them out and he bumped a ref back at the beginning of the year and they've been screwing him over since.  John has an extremely contentious relationship with most of the refs.  It's a self perpetuating thing because they target him, he gets mad and reacts, then they target him more.  NBA refs are trash and he's just going to have to figure out how to deal with this for the rest of his career.

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Westbrook does a great deal more than bull his way to the basket, he will pull the trigger from anywhere at anytime, but he's also better at bulling his way to the basket than any other point guard in the game.  He's a cannon ball with springs for legs.  Wall isn't that and his attempts at nifty layups don't work as well when defenders expect it.

• Like 1

I feel like Wizards fans/observers are belaboring the point comparing Wall to Irving.  Wall is obviously the better pure point guard, I don't think there is anyone left who would argue the reverse.  Kyrie is a natural shooting guard/second option and LeBron is Cleveland's de facto lead guard.  People would only make more narrow arguments like Kyrie is a better shooter/off the dribble scorer.

• Like 2

Ten man rotation tonight, went through all of our good players except Jason Smith.  But Beal still played the entire second half and almost 41 minutes, in a game where he hurt his ankle in the first quarter.

I understand we're in a dogfight for the third seed and Brooks has to do what's necessary to win games now.  But I can't wait until Oubre breaks out of his slump and Jennings gets settled in.  I hope it's soon because we can't be playing Beal like this.

Our least reliable reserves play behind our least durable starters.  Kelly just needs to step up because there is no one else.  Sato can't shoot.  Bogs is subbing in for Morris and Morris is coming in as the center in crunch time.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I feel like Wizards fans/observers are belaboring the point comparing Wall to Irving.  Wall is obviously the better pure point guard, I don't think there is anyone left who would argue the reverse.  Kyrie is a natural shooting guard/second option and LeBron is Cleveland's de facto lead guard.  People would only make more narrow arguments like Kyrie is a better shooter/off the dribble scorer.

It's a great deal simpler than that.  Kyrie is the better scorer.  Wall is the better player. 

• Like 3