Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I love this team.

Pay Beal.

He's certainly playing like he wants a max contract. He's never looked this good. He's finally taking that leap Wall did. I'm suddenly much more optimistic about this season.

Having said that, I would love a comfortable victory. Three nail biters and a loss. Let's get a few easy ones. :)

The Raptors are still good. I was hoping they'd collapse and fire Casey and make big changes after their playoff debacle last season. But it looks like they're firing on all cylinders. They could be this year's Atlanta. Push Cleveland into the two spot, which then pushes Atlanta to three, and puts our cap at four.

Last year Toronto swooned pretty hard after the AS break. I could see them doing that again this year, but we'll see. They still don't scare me in a postseason series.

The Raptors are still good. I was hoping they'd collapse and fire Casey and make big changes after their playoff debacle last season. But it looks like they're firing on all cylinders. They could be this year's Atlanta. Push Cleveland into the two spot, which then pushes Atlanta to three, and puts our cap at four.

Last year Toronto swooned pretty hard after the AS break. I could see them doing that again this year, but we'll see. They still don't scare me in a postseason series.

Demarre Carroll was good signing, he's a good defender

Edited by StillUnknown

They were firing on all cylinders early last year too. They were the #1 seed prior to ATL going on that massive roll they went on during the middle of the season.

exactly...anyone who sees it otherwise is just looking for a hot-take driven narrative. 

Man, what a win!  I know a lot of people don't like to give him credit, but I have to give props to Wittman for drawing up a fantastic ATO play.  Confused the Spurs, somehow got Kawhi lost, and ended up getting Aldridge matched up on Beal.  Easy money. 

After being up 17 and losing the lead, the team kept battling and would not fold.  That shows a lot of resolve.  As I saw someone comment on deadspin...PLEASE let the local media focus their attention on the Skins, Nats, and Caps...Wizards are DC's best kept secret.  They have a solid foundation and an actual plan for success going forward. 

Love this team. 

Didn't see the game as my free preview ran out. Of course with SA, I'm chalking up a loss. Big surprise when I saw the final score. Big win coming off the loss to NY.

Humphries is not a true stretch 4. When I heard he was working on his three ball over the summer, I was skeptical. Even in preseason it didn't look good. Sure, he'll hit one every once in a while, but his strength is the mid-range jumper and rebounding. He's not a gunner.

Edited by pjfootballer

It takes time to get comfortable behind the three point line. There is a lot more to it than just taking a couple of steps back. You have to be aware of the line and the out of bounds lines and get yourself set up at the FT Line extended and corners, whereas for the mid range pick and pop you're fading to the elbows and you don't have to worry about any lines. Plus defenses close out harder on three point shooters than guys at the elbows.

It takes a pretty substantial shift in comfort level to go from a banger who spends a lot of time trying to clean up the glass and pick up garbageman scores around the rim to being a perimeter player. You can tell Hump is doing a lot of thinking and not doing right now.

I too was skeptical that Hump could work as a true stretch four after just one summer of learning the three pointer, but he's at least flashing competence from time to time. Attacking the rim against hard closeouts. Shooting his threes in rhythm more often than not. I even saw him call for the ball at the three point line last night on a Wall drive that got him open. Wall looked a little surprised but dished it and Hump took the in-rhythm shot. He bricked it, but it was a good shot--one that he needs to take. And it showed burgeoning confidence in his range.

He needs time. Maybe doesn't need to be starting, but he's currently our best option. And I could see him looking a lot more comfortable by midseason.

• Like 1

exactly...anyone who sees it otherwise is just looking for a hot-take driven narrative. 

Man, what a win!  I know a lot of people don't like to give him credit, but I have to give props to Wittman for drawing up a fantastic ATO play.  Confused the Spurs, somehow got Kawhi lost, and ended up getting Aldridge matched up on Beal.  Easy money. 

After being up 17 and losing the lead, the team kept battling and would not fold.  That shows a lot of resolve.  As I saw someone comment on deadspin...PLEASE let the local media focus their attention on the Skins, Nats, and Caps...Wizards are DC's best kept secret.  They have a solid foundation and an actual plan for success going forward. 

Love this team.

Yeah it was a good play. Looked like they schemed in a lot of options for Wall to go to, and he picked the right one. They ran a back screen on Kawhi only Beal exploded to the wing and that led to that switch and Aldridge bought hard on Beal's move. His stepback is lethal because he's quick and has a big first stride and he's one of the finest jump shooters in the world.

It's nice to be able to scheme in multiple good scoring options for Wall to find on an out of timeout play. It shows how good the surrounding talent around Wall is getting. I thought Porter and Gortat were outstanding last night, and the only thing that stopped March from getting rolling was an awful second foul call on a Parker flop that had him sit out almost all of the first quarter.

Speaking of Beal's stepback game, some of you might remember some book-length posts I wrote from the summer about what Beal needs to do to get better. I talked about how he needed to develop a mid range game--dribble moves leading to floaters for when he's inside 15 feet, stepbacks for when he's outside 15 feet, and a one and two dribble pull up game to exploit the hard closeout on the three ball. Well... it looks like he's already got that stuff working for him now. Unbelievable how quickly he's integrated that into his nightly repertoire BTW. That shows how confident he is now.

My point was that the league's best volume scorers are experts at scoring from mid range, because scoring reliably by creating from the most difficult part of the floor is what separates them from guys who can't average 20-25 PPG. Beal has the tools to average that now, and he's playing in an offense that will give him the opportunity.

The next step I want to see from him is to continue to refine his handle to where he can effectively attack other SGs off the bounce at the top of the key, and do so without needing a screen.

Also, at some point I want to see Beal develop a Pierce/Melo-esque triple threat game and some post moves. As good a shooter as he is, a high quality triple threat game would be lethal. And he is strong for a guard, and could post up smaller match ups well.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

I'm repeating myself, but I don't think Durant is going to come here. For a lot of reasons, but my gut feeling is he won't. He'll go through the process of free agency and consider his options, but stay in OKC.

And I don't think that's going to sink us. Beal is emerging as a high quality first option scorer, and our fallback option of just sticking with our current core is a good option. If Durant doesn't sign, then we can take that cap money and go after a quality veteran PF and still be excellent. Put a Paul Millsap caliber PF on this current team and they push for the one seed. Boston and Charlotte have a glut of young PFs that they can't really develop. Get a scorer and rebounder with three ball range like Sully or Olynyk to start and get an athletic defender and PnR option like Cody Zeller as your first man off the bench and you have something.

I was thinking about it, and the best thing about our team construction is that Wall is a classic pass first PG. Every team really needs to be built around a star, and it's such an advantage when your star is a PG. Makes your eventual construction so much more flexible, and it makes running good "winning time" offense so much easier. The Spurs are one of the best ball movement teams in the past two decades, and even they had trouble getting the baskets they needed to close us out in winning time. They're built around their forwards. But Wall checks back in the fourth and our drought suddenly ends. Guys start getting good looks against an elite defensive team with the reigning DPOY getting scored on.

Wall is going to win an MVP somewhere in his late 20's.

I'm repeating myself, but I don't think Durant is going to come here. For a lot of reasons, but my gut feeling is he won't. He'll go through the process of free agency and consider his options, but stay in OKC.

And I don't think that's going to sink us. Beal is emerging as a high quality first option scorer, and our fallback option of just sticking with our current core is a good option. If Durant doesn't sign, then we can take that cap money and go after a quality veteran PF and still be excellent. Put a Paul Millsap caliber PF on this current team and they push for the one seed. Boston and Charlotte have a glut of young PFs that they can't really develop. Get a scorer and rebounder with three ball range like Sully or Olynyk to start and get an athletic defender and PnR option like Cody Zeller as your first man off the bench and you have something.

I put our percentage at landing KD at around 25%. 

They need to have a good backup plan.  If this team wants to make a true championship run, they need a MAJOR upgrade somewhere on the roster.  Whether it's someone like KD, Boogie, etc. 

My guy @MrMichaelLee told me last season as valuable as Pierce was his presence could make a carefree guy like Beal go into his shell.

Pierce's big-shor pedigree will be missed, but Otto Porter getting more minutes and Beal regularly being the crunch time guy are plusses.

@Wizards Bradley Beal's 2015-16 averages 4 GM 35.3 MPG 25.3 PPG 47.5% FG 46.4% 3PT Points Breakdown: 24, 26, 26, 25

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

I think 25% is even too high. Durant isnt coming here. He's got a loaded OKC team with depth everywhere, a top 5 player in Westbrook, and multiple quality bigs that can stretch the floor and prevent him from having to take punishment at the 4. If he were to come to Washington his most effective position would be at the 4, not the 3. We should be looking at a top tier 4 in the offseason. (Boogie would be nice, but his arrival would push Gortat out the door). I would love to have Olynyk here. He's got some floor game, can scrap if he has to, and is pretty efficient from the perimeter. That being said, Boston would be foolish to give him up and I dont see it happening. Just say no to Sulley. Guy is more injured than Nene and isnt reliable from the perimeter. I'd have to look and see who else might be available next year. Ideally, a guy like Milsap would fit the bill. But just about every team wants him and he got locked up already.

So if KD doesn't come here what do you guys think is the best path forward? Trying to secure another max type player for Beal and Wall or just building a talented deep role player team around them?

Personally I think Wall would be best as the third scoring option but primary ball handler. So I would favor securing another primary scoring type player. I think the wizards need to be what the celtics were. A lot of scoring talent around a great point guard that collectively play hard nosed defense. The difference being that Wall is a far better scoring option than Rondo.

So if KD doesn't come here what do you guys think is the best path forward? Trying to secure another max type player for Beal and Wall or just building a talented deep role player team around them?

Personally I think Wall would be best as the third scoring option but primary ball handler. So I would favor securing another primary scoring type player. I think the wizards need to be what the celtics were. A lot of scoring talent around a great point guard that collectively play hard nosed defense. The difference being that Wall is a far better scoring option than Rondo.

Al Horford might be my main target of the free agents if we miss on KD

thats a decent model to follow as a plan B

the Plan B is the part that scares me. Ernie does a solid job when the answers are super obvious, when critical thought enters the equation, he can stumble

Edited by StillUnknown