Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Nice surprise when I woke up this morning. Looks like Crawford had a couple of big steals and, am I mistaken, or is Wall learning how to get points on the nghts they need scoring?

19 is the worst win total for the Wiz in franchise history and they have 18. Hmmmmm. This could get interesting.

I'm leaning toward Kanter.

Go watch vids of him. Dude is just big as hell. Not tall and lanky and like Javale. Tall and as thick as a tree trunk. He's got great touch around the basket. And he's mean. He's not some soft, ***** euro like a Baragani in Toronto or even Dirk. He loves to bang down low. He's got a decent and still developing mid range game. Put him at the 4 and Javale at the 5 and see what happens.

He's a man child. A nice thing about him is that he's already so good and tough even though he's only 18 (May birthday). He still has some upside.

I hadn't thought about him all year long because it's so hard to find information and video of foreign players, but I really like him as a fit for us. I don't think he's the shooter Sullinger is, but he can score too and he's got legit big man size. Draft express says he was the best player on the world select team and that he dominated Jonas Valanciunas during international competitions.

Imagine how good Kentucky would be if he'd been eligible. I think he'd be a nice fit and I see a lot of mock drafts with us picking him.

---------- Post added March-29th-2011 at 10:31 AM ----------

Another nice thing about Kanter is that he's got ability at both the 4 and 5 and even lets you tinker with putting Javale at the 4 if you got a wild hare up your ass.

I think Kyrie Irving eventually decides to come out and that gives you a pretty decent top 3 of Derrick Williams, Irving, and Kanter. After that, it gets dicier as you have to start taking flyers on prospects with some risks like Perry Jones or Valanciunas. Kanter is a bit of a risk too because of some question about injuries to his knees.

I assume a lockout is likely going to happen. I'm curious about how they'll determine the lottery for the 2012 draft class if no season is played. I hope they'd reuse the standings from this year's lottery so we could have another likely top 3 pick.

I'm leaning toward Kanter.

Go watch vids of him. Dude is just big as hell. Not tall and lanky and like Javale. Tall and as thick as a tree trunk. He's got great touch around the basket. And he's mean. He's not some soft, ***** euro like a Baragani in Toronto or even Dirk. He loves to bang down low. He's got a decent and still developing mid range game. Put him at the 4 and Javale at the 5 and see what happens.

Before being ruled ineligible at Kentucky

He looks good GAC. Does anybody know how he is on defense?

Edited by MLSKINS

that's because they are bad...which would make you a bandwagon fan ;)

I'm a bandwagon baseball fan....if you even want to call it a fan...at least I admit it.

Technically being a bandwaggon fan would mean you latch on to a team because they are winning when your team is losing. If you root for one particular team when they are winning and stop following them because they are losing and vice-versa, you are more a fairweather fan. I'll admit, I've been very fairweather about the Wiz, even though I always check their final score every night.

**EDIT** Sorry, I didn't see DGs response. Please ignore post.

Edited by pjfootballer

http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/tomasson/2011/03/29/rose-a-model-to-follow-for-wall/

“My goal is to get to his level and get better,’’ Wall said in an interview with HoopsHype about wanting to improve his game similar to the way Rose has. “It took time for him to progress. That’s something I’m trying to do.

“I know a lot of teams are giving (open shots) to me. In some games, I’m hot and I’m making it. In some games, I make one out of four. But I think if I’m making it more consistently, it’s going to be tougher for guys to guard me. That’s something Derrick really did, and now it’s tougher for teams to stop him.’’

Through hard work, Rose was been able to improve his mid-range game and his three-point shot. After clanging away at a meager 22.2 percent from beyond the arc as a rookie and making just 16 all season, Rose is a 32.9 percent marksman this season and on pace to drill more than 125.

Wall, shooting 29.0 percent on three-pointers after having missed eight straight, might not have as far to go with his shot. Regardless, he vows he’s going to come back next season with an improved jumper.

“I try to shoot a thousand a day,’’ Wall, averaging 16.3 points and 8.6 assists and shooting 40.5 percent overall, said of his offseason regiment. “But I want to do it more where I’m really jumping. (Last) summer, I wasn’t really jumping on my jump shot. Just shooting a set shot. You can’t do that in this league. Guys are fast and they’re closing out. So you’re going to see me work and I’m going to come back with an improved jumper next year.’’

When it comes to defenses playing off him, Wall says his desire is to “make them pay.’’

If he can improve his jumper, watch out NBA.

more in the link

I finally figured out the worst draft class ever. We've been so stuck on '01 cause of Kwame, but 2000 is DREADFUL. Two All Stars in the 1st round: Kenyon Martin and Jamaal Magloire. Horrid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_NBA_Draft

And Redd in Round 2. 2001 was somewhat decent: Pau, Battier, Joe Johnson, Zach Randolph, Gerald Wallace, Tony Parker; Round 2 had Gil and Okur.

2006 was a pretty bad class too. It might get better, but it looks like you've got three studs: Aldridge, Roy, Rondo, another two who are pretty decent (Bargnani & Gay), and a bunch of backups and fringe starters. The lottery was particularly bad. And if Roy goes down early, that class looks pitiful. It was definitely one of the cheapest ROTY awards we've had in a while.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_nba_draft

Jordan Williams declaring but not hiring an agent. How about Kanter and Williams and then going forward having a front court rotation of McGee, Booker, Seraphin, Kanter and Williams. That might be prospect overload but id rather raise my chances to the max in a league now devoid of great bigmmen (and with a team that huas a PG as its franchise guy).

Williams might slip to the 2nd but I doubt he stays in the draft if that's how its looking for him.

Jordan Williams declaring but not hiring an agent. How about Kanter and Williams and then going forward having a front court rotation of McGee, Booker, Seraphin, Kanter and Williams. That might be prospect overload but id rather raise my chances to the max in a league now devoid of great bigmmen (and with a team that huas a PG as its franchise guy).

Williams might slip to the 2nd but I doubt he stays in the draft if that's how its looking for him.

Sounds good to me. With Sullinger out, I think I like Kanter the best for us. What happens if you draft Williams in the second round and he decides to go back to school though? Then you're out a pretty high second round pick aren't you? How does it work?

I've been holding out hope we'll draft Justin Harper with our second round pick. Terrific shooter and defender, stretchy with very good general awareness. He's the best Richmond player I've seen.

Some guards that interest me with that second round pick are Josh Selby, Doron Lamb, Marshon Brooks and Lacedarius Dunn. For wings, I would take a look at Chris Singleton if he's there. I also like watching Chandler Parsons out of Florida but I don't know where he's projected.

I'm curious about what we can do with that second first. If we pick Kanter with our pick, I wouldn't mind seeing us double down and get another big. I'm intrigued by this freshman center from Florida. Draftexpress is pretty high on him and said he was one of the top players on the under 18 American team: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Patric-Young-5746/

They say he profiles like a Kendrick Perkins style big who likes doing the dirty work. He looks like he's got an NBA physique already.

I think it'd also be cool if a good guard or wing like Terrence Jones/Brandon Knight/Alec Burks slipped to us at that pick. Brandon Knight might be playing his way out of our range though.

Two other names to throw out there which I didn't know about:

Nikola Mirotic - http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Nikola-Mirotic-5134/

Bismack Biyombo - http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Bismack-Biyombo-5902/

Biyombo in particular interest me. Never heard of him before now, but draftexpress has him as their third best international birthday in 1992, right behind Valanciunas and Kanter. It looks like he's got pretty good hands, good feet, and good length. From the few youtube videos I could find it looks like his repertoire is mostly just dunks, but there isn't a whole lot to go off of. He at least looks the part.

Mirotic is draftexpress' #1 ranked international player birthday 1991. He's projected as a PF but the way they talk about him, he sounds more like one of those long, athletic wingers who can shoot and run pick and rolls. Names to consider no doubt.

Na, he has to decide well before the draft. Draft is near the end of June and he has to make a decision of whether to stay in or not in the first week of May (I forget the exact dates). Also if a player hires an agent, he's locked in. This just players a chance to go through some of the workouts and stuff and get a sense of where they'll be picked. If they like what they're hearing, they'll hire an agent and stay in. If not, they go back to school. There are some restrictions on the players keeping their options open from the NCAA, but that's the gist of the process.

I'm starting to get on board the Kanter train. As weak is this draft is; we may be best off taking a chance on a boom/bust guy like Kanter.

speaking from the emails I've exchanged with Ted recently, I'm under the impression the team isn't going to try and acquire anymore draft picks then we already have, and it doesn't sound like we will be extremely active in free agency either.

They are looking ahead to 2012 free agency, which is smart. Wouldn't make sense to spend money just because you have it (like the Pistons did in 2009)

2012 free agency is loaded: Chris Paul (P), Deron Williams (P), Dwight Howard (ETO), KG, JJ Hickson ®, Roy Hibbert ®, Chris Kaman, Andrew Bynum (T), Kevin Love ®, Steve Nash (, Russell Westbrook ®, Brandon Bass (P), Jodie Meeks ®, Gerald Wallace (P)

of course there are many more....you may wonder why I listed Hickson, Hibbert, Meeks, and Bass with these other higher level players. These are some of the role players I'd like to go after in 2012 that could be realistic.

Chris Kaman could be a good option down low if we don't get the obvious prize of free agency, Dwight Howard. We obviously wont be in the market for one of the point guards; and for the record, I'm saying that Steve Nash goes to the Knicks.

If we're lucky in how the next two draft lotteries play out, we might only need FA for finding the role player types. If you look way down the line at the 2012 class, it's got a lot of good American wings in it at the top of the class. Check out this early mock draft from draftexpress: http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2012/

The first three players on that list really intrigue me. The second player, James McAdoo, is from Norfolk and I've read about him in the papers this year. He's a man child who looks like he's going to be very powerful once he fills out. He's the reason why UNC could remain excellent next year even if Harrison Barnes or John Henson come out early.

The first guy is going to Baylor and he's apparently spectacular. I looked him up and apparently his nickname is baby KD LOL! They've been making Durant comparisons with him because of his body type and phenomenal scoring ability. He's sat the entire year on the sidelines with a torn ACL though so people have almost forgotten about him. Draftexpress wrote a fascinating article about how he handled his injury and ended up becoming a better student of the game because of it. I'm excited to see him play next year.

Also, read the profile on Michael Gilchrist and tell me that doesn't excite you and conjure images of Dwyane Wade or something. Basically, it seems like he's Captain America in terms of intangibles with a versatile skillset--running point and guarding four positions. Factor him in with Teague and Davis and Kentucky got an even better recruiting class this year than they did last year with Knight/Jones/Kanter.

Those three schools plus your Florida Gators will be the ones to watch next year. Florida apparently has two top guys from the under 18 American squad in Bradley Beal and Patric Young.

The point is, with the lockout coming, I've got to think they'll use similar lottery standings to the ones this year because that's all they'll have available. That being the case, we stand a good chance of getting a top 5 pick again in 2012. If we get a good player from this class and a great player from the next one, we'll be cooking. We'll have a playoff team without any major FA acquisitions and we can focus on giving our own players extensions. That's good because I doubt we have much of a shot at any of the really premier free agents on your list like Howard, the PGs, or Love. I also think Indiana will extend Hibbert and the Lakers will try and keep Bynum if they can afford to. I've got to think he's part of their long term plans.

One guy that we could look at way down the road is DeMarcus Cousins and I think we'd actually have a shot at him because of Wall. Look at the way he was talking during the rookie sophomore game. It sounded like he really missed playing with Wall and would love to do it again. Sacramento has about as little pull as we do right now. That could change if they move to Anaheim, but I still don't think they'll be able to trump us unless they get a really good PG too. I'm intrigued by Cousins. He's certainly a headcase, but Wall also seems to be able to get the absolute most out of him.

Although if Javale keeps improving like he has the past two weeks, we won't need a starting center. We'll be looking for a rotational type who can keep Javale's minutes down. We might establish that just by drafting Enes Kanter and developing Seraphin.

Edited by stevemcqueen1