Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

have you ever heard an interview with Martell Webster? I really like Beal as well, but Martell has to be one of the best spoken/smartest NBA player I've ever listened to. I'm a big fan of Martell's play on the court and the presence he brings to the locker room. This team seems to be cancer-less now

Funny you say that, first time I heard Martell speak was about a month ago and i immediately texted my buddy who's also a huge Wiz fan. I agree with you, it's no exaggeration, he's one of most intelligent sounding NBA players I've heard interviewed. This teams basketball IQ has increased dramatically in the last 2 seasons.

have you ever heard an interview with Martell Webster? I really like Beal as well, but Martell has to be one of the best spoken/smartest NBA player I've ever listened to. I'm a big fan of Martell's play on the court and the presence he brings to the locker room. This team seems to be cancer-less now
Can you believe he came straight out of high school? He's clearly a brilliant dude. I dislike EG, but bringing in Martell was a very shrewd move that not many GMs make, IMO.

I think Martell transitions immediately into coaching when his playing career is done.

Funny you say that, first time I heard Martell speak was about a month ago and i immediately texted my buddy who's also a huge Wiz fan. I agree with you, it's no exaggeration, he's one of most intelligent sounding NBA players I've heard interviewed. This teams basketball IQ has increased dramatically in the last 2 seasons.

yeah I'm really high on this team for the future. we finally rid ourselves of guys like NY, Blatch, McGee, Crawford, Gil etc. Nene/Okafor/Webster/Ariza are all about business and getting it done on the court. I think John already had that mindset as well...but it is obviously better to have reinforcement from Martell and Nene rather than Blatche and Gil! I'm glad Beal got a fresh start and wasn't ever exposed to some of our passed cancers.

---------- Post added March-5th-2013 at 03:52 PM ----------

Can you believe he came straight out of high school? He's clearly a brilliant dude. I dislike EG, but bringing in Martell was a very shrewd move that not many GMs make, IMO.

I think Martell transitions immediately into coaching when his playing career is done.

I loved the move form the beginning. I didn't know a ton about Martell, but I knew he had enough talent to be a rotation guy and he made the deal even sweeter when you figure the presence he likely brings in the locker room. I remember seeing him in his Minnesota days with the crazy spiked mo-hawk and was shocked when I heard him speak the first time (ignorant on my part to judge a book by it's cover) but I'm sure glad to have him on this team.

I made a comment a couple months ago that I thought we shouldn't overpay this guy just to be a 3 point shooter, but I've changed my mind. I still don't want to overpay him (but with the market of shooters we have hitting the market this year, we should be able to get him back at a decent price) he seems to like to be here....we really need to make signing Martell our top priority in the offseason. Give him a three or four year deal.

Okafor is a really smart guy too.

Beal isn't as articulate as they are but it's obvious from listening to him that he truly "gets it."

Nene commands a lot of respect because of all he's been through. Cancer survivor, a serious, professional guy that plays the game with passion.

I like Ariza too. Very monotone and even-kieled, doesn't let much emotion show. He's a pro too.

And I like Price. He seems like a good teammate.

I think Otto Porter would be so perfect for this team . He's a leader, humble and a cold blooded player who can shoot and rebound from the 3 spot. Is it wrong that I'm kinda cheering for us to lose so we can be in the best position to get him? I kinda did the same thing for RG3 and that turned out O.k.

Porter maximizes his ability. Super smart player that has a well developed skill level on offense and is a very cognizant and communicative defensive player. He's got an unconventional shot with a flared out elbow but it works for him and he's shooting for great percentages. He doesn't take bad shots either and he's kind of like KMart in how he gets himself to the FT line despite having a slow first step. Good length. He's not a lock down defender but he makes his share of plays on defense. And he's a fantastic rebounder for a SF. Not strong and can't clear out space underneath the basket like a big but he just reads the ball coming off the rim exceptionally well and gets a ton of boards outside his area.

But his upside just isn't that high. He just looks soooo slow and unexplosive out there on the court. He looks like he's playing with a foot injury. He takes forever to gather himself changing directions and looks like a big man when he runs the floor... And he's a grounded player. He's never going to be the type of ball handler that can break down defenses off the dribble regularly and he's not going to be a slashing threat in the NBA.

Watch the videos of Andrew Wiggins, the Harrison twins, Aaron Gordon, and Julius Randle then go watch Otto Porter. They are so much more explosive and athletic. So much better handles. Even Randle and Gordon who are PFs. The difference is stark.

I'm starting to think Gator was right: If Otto Porter is a top 3 pick, then this is a horrible draft class. I'm wondering if there is going to be a single player from this class who sees multiple All Star games. One of the bigs who shocks everyone.

The first time I watched Andrew Wiggins, my jaw dropped. He'll be a superstar. Lebron, then Druant, next is Wiggins as next great SF. I did a fantasy draft on 2k13 and somehow ended up with Rose/Shabazz/Wiggins/Faried(Later Julius Randle, another possible star)/Noah with Sullinger and Ellington on the bench. Such a fun team to play with.

Man' date=' Vesely is garbage. Somebody give me a viable reason why Singleton has been relegated back to the bench over this fool.[/quote']

Wittman probably didn't like what he did in his last game (against NY):

21mintues 0points 0-6shooting 1reb

Wall's jumper looks really good tonight.

---------- Post added March-6th-2013 at 09:21 PM ----------

Wittman probably didn't like what he did in his last game (against NY):

21mintues 0points 0-6shooting 1reb

I suspect your right. I think Wittman punishes the marginal guys if they have one bad game.

---------- Post added March-6th-2013 at 09:25 PM ----------

Look at that box out by Webster! I love it!

It is hard not to love that guy. He's become one of my favorite players on the team. I really hope we sign him back.

---------- Post added March-6th-2013 at 09:27 PM ----------

Wall is one of the most gifted transition defenders I've ever seen. He is just so comfortably playing at that speed.

I'd speculate that our wings shoot better when Beal is playing. I think he might be one of those contagious good shooters that rubs off on the guys around him.

---------- Post added March-6th-2013 at 09:31 PM ----------

Rubio is a pleasure to watch on offense. He is a ***** on defense. He flops like an Italian soccer player.

Yeah he's a terrible defender. This is probably a good night for Wall to look for his own shot.

---------- Post added March-6th-2013 at 09:48 PM ----------

It's good that Wall is shooting well and that he's taking that jumper comfortably but I want to see him take it to the rim more when he gets matched up with Rubio and Barrea. They will have to foul.

---------- Post added March-6th-2013 at 09:50 PM ----------

Wall is dialed in right now. Ridnour is going to get pulled.

---------- Post added March-6th-2013 at 09:53 PM ----------

Wall

Webster

Ariza

Nene

Oak

is actually a pretty good starting five. They defend well. But look at their minutes so far. They're all playing big minutes. The depth is ghastly.

Rubio is such a European.

---------- Post added March-6th-2013 at 10:03 PM ----------

Holy crap. Didn't know Seraphin had those last two possessions in him.

---------- Post added March-6th-2013 at 10:07 PM ----------

Barea fouled Nene first. I don't like that call at all. Refs are ****ing us.

Too many damn turnovers are essentially giving this game away. Nene has 7 and Wall has 5.

---------- Post added March-6th-2013 at 10:16 PM ----------

Why the hell is Wall taking a three point shot down by one?

---------- Post added March-6th-2013 at 10:16 PM ----------

... And follows it up with another turnover. Good god.

I was waiting for you to pipe in with some hate. You were quiet when he was playing well.

Saw Beal was out so I haven't been watching. Just tuned in, not surprising he played well against one of the least athletic back courts in the NBA.

You're telling me you've liked what you've seen out of him when defense picks up in crunch time this year?

*Edit* For the record, not trying to put this on John. Obviously Nene had a poor game and is still feeling the effects of that shoulder injury, but Wall has to find a way to run the offense to close out a game, no matter who is in or out of the game.

Edited by MonkFan8

You really cant pick on wall when Nene plays terrible' date=' Ves sees the floor over Singleton, and Wittman poops the bed. He was the best player on the court for washington.[/quote']

You can absolutely pick on the team's supposed best player he fails to show up in the 4th. I think I saw Wall go 0-3 and turn the ball over twice in the 4th. Was he exhausted or something was up near the end? He stopped driving almost entirely. He was the hero last game but he wasn't good in the 4th today despite having a pretty good first half.

Nene also turned the ball over entirely too much. Seven turnovers is entirely too many.

Edited by Destino