Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

This feels like a particularly good class.  Good role players abound.  Guys who could go #1 in normal years like Bagley and Porter are pushed down by Doncic and Ayton.  They in turn push down some of the other blue chip talent into the mid-lottery like Jackson Jr and Bamba and Carter.  And those guys push the good role players like Williams and Sexton and Knox and the Bridges kids into the 9-15 range.  This is going to be a good crop of players, and I actually think that most of the guys in the lottery are going to pan out.  And I think Ayton and Doncic will be transcendent players and there will be at least five All Stars who come out of this lottery.

nbadraft.net has Miles Bridges mocked to us.  I had the chance to watch him a few times and he reminds me of a southpaw Mike Scott.  He's a better dribbler though. He's got a mid range game.  Two dribble pull ups like step backs and stuff like that.  But you don't pass it to him at the top of the key against a set defense and expect a good shot to come from it.  He's also more explosive than Mike Scott.  Bridges can really throw it down and looks like a dunk contest kind of guy.

I see the same core playing style though.  Instinctive scorer with a gunner's mentality.  Array of inside and outside skills.  Doesn't have a good NBA body, but compensates for the lack of height and length by being such a good leaper.

I would rather have Robert Williams, but I'd settle for Bridges.  I think he'll be a productive bench scorer early in his career.  I wish he was a better ball handler and passer and defender though.  He will never be an Iguodala type role player.  You can find bench gunners, but it's hard to find guys like Iggy.

7 hours ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

I want the center from texas

Looks like he'll be a top five pick.  He's got a Rudy Gobert-like body.  I don't think teams will fall asleep on this kind of player a second time, given how great Gobert has been since he was drafted.

1 hour ago, CRobi21 said:

Yes please.

6'9, but take a look at that arm length and standing reach ?.  Watching the video that Brave posted, he is a little plodding in the half court.  Takes a minute to gather himself up and the CoD to guard perimeter players isn't there.  He's definitely a C rather than a forward IMO.  But he can really run in the open court and his rim runs are ferocious.

This is the kid for us.  But I think we're going to have to move up three spaces or so in order to get him.

• Like 1

Ted getting cheap.  Dumping Gortat doesn't get us the cap space to make a real move in free agency.  It's just mortgaging the future for short term relief.  Something we've done for most of the past five years.

We should be looking to move up to fill our dire front court need with a player like Robert Williams, not move down to save cash.

Markieff Morris was our 2016 draft pick right?  And now we're trying to move down to shed him, among others?  Bogdanovich was our 2017 draft pick.  Player options to Jodie Meeks and Jason Smith.  Andrew Nicholson gets a 6 million per year deal in an offseason where we also signed Smith to 5 million per and Mahinmi to 16 million per.

That offseason continues to haunt us.  It's the reason we can't go after DeMarcus Cousins without doing something terrible like giving up Porter.

2 minutes ago, Destino said:

Isn't Gortat an expiring contract?  Why would the Wizards give up value for a team to take something that has value? 

To give us flexibility in this free agency cycle is the kool-aid drinking answer.

The real answer is to get under the luxury tax line.  Which could be accomplished later in the season without giving up the only silver lining from this absolutely **** season--our decent draft position.

One day I'm going to lose it and I'm going to hunt Ernie down and take his scalp.

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

One day I'm going to lose it and I'm going to hunt Ernie down and take his scalp.

While Ernie is the architect of this house of cards called the Wizards, the buck ultimately stops with Ted. He’s the one who has continued to extend the buffoon that is Ernie.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

While Ernie is the architect of this house of cards called the Wizards, the buck ultimately stops with Ted. He’s the one who has continued to extend the buffoon that is Ernie.

True.  There is no defense for why Ted's kept a guy who should have been fired in the ownership transition for 8 freaking years.

It's pretty crazy to look at the difference in the way the Caps and the Wizards are run and the level of success each have enjoyed.  Feels an awful lot like Ted doesn't care about the Wizards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1