Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

19 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Edit:  and to be clear, no way do I want to trade Otto without getting a commitment from PG first, but its sounds like that's just not the way it works.

Yeah he's a top free agent and the market usually waits on these guys.  He'll sign early, most likely.

If we wanted to go after summer of '18 max players, we needed to not screw up the summer of '16.  We needed to be making room much earlier.

We should have been doing it too because this is the summer that Wall's buddies hit the market, looking for their third contract.  Our GM is a moron though.

What is your guys opinion on Oubre Jr. being around after this season and getting a deal done with the Wiz?  I haven't been following it too much but I do remember hearing talk about them looking to move on from him towards the end of the regular season.  I'm getting a jersey this Friday at the game and I am torn between going with the safe bet in Wall or going out on a limb and getting an Oubre Jr. one.  I really like him and I also like to have jerseys that not everyone has, but hearing that he could be gone, it's making me double think that decision.

Steve keeps bringing up that that's not the question anymore, how do you make the cap space to begin with anyway?  Until we do that, we're outside looking in.

We need to hit that first round pick on a center, double awesome if he can play PF, too, but center more important, imo.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I dispute the notion that Sato is “imprisoned”.  Signing Ty Lawson was a shrewd move and it cut into Sato’s minutes.  

And thats perfectly reasonable.

Technically the Lawson signing was the first time I thought he was in trouble...

Man, if I can keep Wall, Beal, Porter, and Oubre, yet find a way to still add Boogie. hell yeah I'm down.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Steve keeps bringing up that that's not the question anymore, how do you make the cap space to begin with anyway?  Until we do that, we're outside looking in.

We need to hit that first round pick on a center, double awesome if he can play PF, too, but center more important, imo.

Cousins/Ajinca for Porter, Gortat plus filler works

2 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

So.....do you pull the trigger on a Cousins deal?

Absolutely. If John can make a mediocre aging 7 footer who can't barely jump, shoot from beyond 6', or dunk a starter, he can do wonders with a perennial Allstar who was top 5 in like 3/4 categories most of the year. But it depends what we are giving up. I'd like to go for broke with a wall/beal/Porter/Morris/cousins line for a year. Then deal with the cap ramifications/trades after we take home some rings. 

• Like 2

Random Raptors fan

To be fair, other teams wouldve swept the Wizards without an eye raise. The refs need to make every series as hard as possible for the Raptors. The amount of **** the Wizards get away with is astonishing. But we are the Canadian Team, we are just supposed to take it. If we make a fuss about injustices, we are just being salty, and they will punish us harder for our insubordination.

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

LOL.  The most conspiratorial, bipolar fanbase in the league.  Imagine how they'd be if the refs had fouled DeRozan out in crunch time on a terrible phantom call.

Hey, second time I've seen a bipolar comment like that from you lately.  I'm Bipolar, that's not Bipolar.  Thanks : )

17 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Hey, second time I've seen a bipolar comment like that from you lately.  I'm Bipolar, that's not Bipolar.  Thanks : )

I apologize.  I meant bipolar in the sense that one moment they're talking about how they're going to sweep us and that this is their year and the next they want to fire Casey, trade everyone, and the NBA will make sure a team from Canada never wins anything.

30 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I apologize.  I meant bipolar in the sense that one moment they're talking about how they're going to sweep us and that this is their year and the next they want to fire Casey, trade everyone, and the NBA will make sure a team from Canada never wins anything.

I know, it's all good : )

8 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

So.....do you pull the trigger on a Cousins deal?

Absolutely...we need an established 3rd star on this team to get to the next level. 

Wherever the Wizards go this year, will be their ceiling with the trio of Wall, Porter, and Beal.  Can't waste any more years of Wall's prime.  With both Philly/Boston looking to make MAJOR strides, something needs to be done to get this team in that same conversation. 

• Like 1

Cousins is a UFA.  New  Orleans can't trade him for any sort of significant return.  Cousins will sign where ever he wants this offseason and the earliest he can be traded will be in December.

I would absolutely not trade anything of significance for him anyway.  He's a 300 pound big coming off a very serious Achilles injury less than six months before he is scheduled to hit free agency.  The absolute most I would risk on him is a one year prove it deal.

@TryTheBeal!Why would you want Whiteside outside of desperation that he can turn it around?  He's a basically a younger version of a similar problem we're having with Gortat, his regression is killing the team but his contract is making it impossible for Miami to get rid of.

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Cousins for the MLE then.

Curious: you think Cousins will take that or someone wouldn't offer him more?  I'm looking at what you and Destino are saying because I agree that this is more a problem of what we can afford versus what our options actually are.  I wish someone would pull Gortat to the side and say if you really want this team to win a ring, you need to retire.  He probably wants the ring, but I think he knows that and is borderline done playing anyway.