Smith = 5.2
Sato = 3
Oubre = 2

McCullough = 1.2
Martell = .8

Min contract = .6

Min contract = .6

= 92.7 million pre-Porter extension.

The cap projection from December is 103.  I can't find a firm luxury tax projection from after the signing of the new CBA in January, but the old one was around 122-123 million.

If Otto signs at 23 instead of 25.8, then that leaves us like 6.3 million to offer Bojan before hitting the luxury tax.  And remember, the luxury tax payments don't get enforced until the end of the season, so we'd have up until next year's deadline to make a move like a Gortat or Smith (or even dumping Bojan) to get under the tax.

Or we could have 40 wins at next year's deadline and Ted could say IDGAF about paying two or three million dollars in tax, let's keep this band together.

So as long as nobody makes Bojan a crazy offer this summer (and most teams won't have the space to offer him more than the full MLE), then I think we are going to try and keep him.  Keep in mind that the middle class of players like Bojan are the ones that got squeezed by the new CBA because the max contracts, minimum, and rookie scale contracts all went up, and the cap projection came in lower than expected.

This is all assuming he works out of course.

• Like 2

Some of you guys are crazy with the "we aren't going to beat The Warriors or Lebron this year so why mortgage the future" comments.  This is legitimately the best team that we have had in awhile and we should strike when the irons hot, because who knows when the next time its going to work out.  We have a good shot at the ECF and that is better than anything we have done in 30 years.  If we get there, anything can happen against Lebron, since Kyrie and Love are injury prone.  Lebron can't do it all himself (see his first go around in Cleveland).  We match up well against the Celtics.  We have a balanced team with two sharp shooters, a distributing guard, and two guys who run the pick and roll really well.  I see the same comments in the O's thread, where people want to blow it up because our pitching might not be good enough and we need to get something for Manny.  Remember the days that we weren't making the playoffs or the days where the Wizards were in the lottery multiple years in a row.  You can't wait for the perfect time, because it might never come.  Have a good team and get a little lucky and who knows.  Heck, the Falcons almost won the Superbowl.  

I'm not an Ernie fan, and I think that he lucks into some stuff (Wall, Marcin, Beal, Brooks) but all of the sudden its actually working so lets do it.  Wizards party!

11 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

Moving Mahini would solve a lot

Trading him doesn't give us as much flexibility as you'd think this summer.  If we dropped his salary altogether, that would put our cap commitments at 98 million.  92.7 in salary - 16.7 from Mahinmi + Otto's 14.7 cap hold + Bojan's 6.8 million cap hold = 98.1

The only way it'd make sense to deal Mahinmi is if you're cutting salary and still getting a good rotation player back in return, because Mahinmi is a good rotation player.

Or as a pure salary dump to avoid the tax if **** goes sideways and we take a big step back next season.

He's in his prime.  We were looking for a veteran gunner for the bench and that's what Bojan is.  I think his shooting numbers are going to spike because of all the open looks he'll get from finally playing with good players.  I think his clutch scoring ability will come in handy on nights where Wall and Beal don't have it.  And I think that his defense will still be bad, but we'll be able to hide the impact of it better than Brooklyn did because of Oubre and Mahinmi.

We've all seen this before.  Ernie pulling the "I got us out of the mess I put us in" move. 

I don't like a 1st round pick for a rental but our 1st is going to be a very late pick. 

**** it.  Let's whip that ass in the second half of the season!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

We've all seen this before.  Ernie pulling the "I got us out of the mess I put us in" move. 

I don't like a 1st round pick for a rental but our 1st is going to be a very late pick. 

**** it.  Let's whip that ass in the second half of the season!

We have ZERO bench because the ****ing moron keeps trading and selling our draft choices. Thinking it's no big deal because it's a late pick is silly. You can find someone to contribute all throughout the draft. 

We don't have a bench because we spent all our cash money on a handful of bums. Thornton, burke, mahinmi, Nicholson, and smith have provided almost 0 help. More often than not, they have been a negative any time they were on the court ( or in Ian's case, not present) 

My position is: if the trade of a pick results in a quality player that can be around for at least 3-4 years, it was worth it. 

18 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

We have ZERO bench because the ****ing moron keeps trading and selling our draft choices. Thinking it's no big deal because it's a late pick is silly. You can find someone to contribute all throughout the draft. 

that ****er is trying to trade everybody HE JUST SIGNED and people are passing out props

this world is not my home

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

We don't have a bench because we spent all our cash money on a handful of bums. Thornton, burke, mahinmi, Nicholson, and smith have provided almost 0 help. More often than not, they have been a negative any time they were on the court ( or in Ian's case, not present) 

My position is: if the trade of a pick results in a quality player that can be around for at least 3-4 years, it was worth it. 

Bogdanovic is a free agent. It's not a good trade. 

44 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

If by you, you mean not Ernie, then yeah. Ernie SUCKS at drafting. He hit on Wall (duh), Beal, Porter, and looking good for Oubre. The rest? He SUCKS:

2015 - Jerian Grant 1st 19

2015 - Aaron White 2nd 49

2014 - Jordan Clarkson 2nd 46

2013 - Porter 1st 3

2012 - Beal 1st 3

2012 - Satoransky 2nd 32

2011 - Vesely 1st 6

2011 - Singleton 1st 18

2011 - Mack 2nd 34

2010 - Wall 1st 1

2010 - Lazar Hayward 1st 30

2010 -  Nemanja Bjelica 2nd 35

2009 - Jermaine Taylor 2nd 32

2008 - McGee 1st 18

2008 - Bill Walker 2nd 47

2007 - Nick Young 1st 16

2007 - Dominic McGuire 2nd 47

I can't stomach going back any further.  In 11 drafts, he has made 17 selections (should have been 22), of which 5 (Grant, Clarkson, Hayward, Taylor, Walker) had their rights traded,and 2 (Satoransky(4 years) and Bjelica) who stayed in Europe.  That means in 11 years, only 10 players actually suited up for the Wizards within 3 years of their draft, and only 11 overall. There are 5 draft picks playing for the Wiz, 3 top 3 picks, a #6 pick, and the #2 2nd round pick.

THAT. IS. PATHETIC.

Edited by Popeman38
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

The point still stands. Giving away draft choices because you can't find good players is more of an indictment of the GM than the draft itself lol

My point is saying that Ernie would make a mid-20s pick that actually contributes is less than 50/50. Bojan Bogdanovich will contribute, and immediately. 

I don't like trading picks, but Ernie would have drafted a Euro that at best would play here in 4 years, at worst be another Vesely.

• Like 1