Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Put me down as a NO on Lou Williams.  He's a garbage time numbers dude.  We don't do garbage time around these parts.

I'm actually really nervous about this.  I can't believe how many fans want Lou Williams on the RealGM forums.  Fans who know basketball and whom I respect.  They are completely caught up in the moment and are talking about beating Cleveland and taking it to the Warriors and seem to think Lou Williams gets us there.  Meanwhile look at the preseason prediction thread and a lot of these guys are the same fans who were predicting like 40 wins going into the season.  And some are guys who have been complaining about Ernie trading draft picks for short term returns for almost a decade.

Lou Williams is just a guy.  He's a chucker who is having a total outlier season as a volume scorer on an awful team.  He'd be a one and a half season rental.  He can't defend any position.  And he is horrible in the postseason.  I looked at the Toronto Raptors thread discussing when he left them for the Lakers and they were thrilled to get rid of him.  He's a tiny 30 year old bench guard and we're thinking about giving up a first round pick for him?  Nevermind that we are going to be up against the luxury tax from now on after we sign Otto and we need the cheap and efficient contract that a draft pick provides.  Nevermind that this is a loaded draft.  And nevermind that you just don't spend first round picks on a tiny 30 year old bench guard.  We need to use the pick to get a young big with upside, or to get a perimeter player who can actually be a long term contributor.

The fan base has lost its perspective and that scares me because I don't trust Ernie.  I am praying these kinds of trade ideas aren't bouncing around Ernie's head.  I can't wait until this deadline is finally over.

• Like 7

Agreed on Lou. Best case scenario about him coming here is that he gets hot off the bench. But then you cant play Brad with him. Meh, he's not worth it.

Also, I agree that trading this year's first should be off the table. But the 2017 2nd, and any of the 2018 picks should be readily available for trade. I like the idea of Morris, because he can play in any lineup, he's cheap, and would pair well with his brother to start the beginning of the 2nd/4th quarters where we are hemorrhaging leads. Then we just live with Burke/Mclellan/House at the 2 for the year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wizards-insider/wp/2017/02/16/bradley-beal-takes-issue-with-his-all-star-snub-i-dont-understand/

Good article on Beal getting snubbed for Anthony.  When the Wizards were bad and had a player playing at an All Star level, the excuse was "we reward winning". Now that the Wizards are winning, the excuse is, "well, Carmelo is a better player".  Complete horse****. Just come out and say the NBA got down on it's knees and swallowed the NYC **** for the viewers. We all know that's why Carmelo "I'm-a-volume-scorer-who-stops-the-ball-and-has-to-be-the-focal-point-or-I-don't-try-and-walk-around-the-court-aimlessly" Anthony.

Beal deserved to make it, and I feel bad for him.  That hurts his pride and his brand.  But at the same time, I think it's better for the team that he missed it and has the weekend off.  That's why I'm not howling about the snub.

I think the main driver behind it was market and position.  They didn't want to bring another guard (even though positions are pointless in the AS game) and yeah, they wanted to throw New York a bone.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Put me down as a NO on Lou Williams.  He's a garbage time numbers dude.  We don't do garbage time around these parts.

Except he's really not. You watch the Lakers often?

Wizards need a guy like Lou Williams as a spark plug off the bench. He is a liability defensively but what he offers as a scorer is going to be needed playing the shooters that CLE and TOR have on different units come playoff time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MondayNightCowboyKilla89 said:

Except he's really not. You watch the Lakers often?

Wizards need a guy like Lou Williams as a spark plug off the bench. He is a liability defensively but what he offers as a scorer is going to be needed playing the shooters that CLE and TOR have on different units come playoff time.

Explain his career playoff 3PT % of 24%.  You think the Wiz need THAT coming off the bench in the playoffs?!?

9 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Explain his career playoff 3PT % of 24%.  You think the Wiz need THAT coming off the bench in the playoffs?!?

That's certainly a terrible figure and not something to dispose of however, what that stat doesn't tell you is that Lou won a game with a clutch three in a series against Lebron in which his team was terribly outmatched. I'm sure Lou did a fair amount of chucking in those seasons with PHI out of desperation, who never had any cohesion or chemistry offensively depsite being in the playoffs.

Also, WIlliams somewhat recently scored like 40 points one time to beat LeBron again in the playoffs. I know that's only one game but tell me that's not good mojo?  It isn't like he doesn't have the skills the Wizards lack in depth, he's really kind of the perfect kind of player they need. I watch the Lakers fairly regularly since they're my favorite team and Lou doesn't ONLY get garbage stats. Most of their games have huge swings back and forth and when the Lakers get cooking offensively, Lou is usually getting involved with that, often second quarter. 

I would be pumped if the Wiz picks him up because his skillset would supplement a second unit very nicely.

Trey Burke can do just fine jacking em up at 25% and I don't have to give a 1st round pick for the pleasure.

Bottom line, Lou hangs numbers against other teams' scrubs in meaningless games.  Against playoff competition he's useless.  The numbers bear this out completely.

Edited by TryTheBeal!

Any bench player that comes in, Indiana isolates on them. This is an issue. Jason Smith was in the court for 5 sec and Turner had him posted up. 

These 5 will take a miracle to keep the lead. 

12 straight with the lead after 1!

Edited by Popeman38