Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

16 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Yeah, we can end the whole "is Beal worth the contract" nonsense. He is going to CLOSE for this team in April. I am afraid of exactly no teams in this conference minus the one we lost to last night.

Now we can all move on to the "Is Otto worth the contract?!?" discussion!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gbear said:

I just don't understand why we didn't foul Lebron as soon as he got the ball before he could even go behind the three point line.  We should have fouled instantly and let him or anyone else take their 2 shots.. 

Should have fouled him before he caught it.  If you foul him at any point after that, he's probably getting three shots because of how lose the continuation calls are.

We messed up.  But he also made a shot that had like 1% chance of going in.  A spinning fadeaway off the glass from the FT line extended.  Not a whole lot you can do about that, the Basketball Gods had decided against us.

1 hour ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

For me it depends on WHO the bench guard is.

Age, contract etc

I just don't think we're going to find one who will be worth it.

I really don't like the idea of trading the first for a guy who can never be more than a bench guard either.  A big man, maybe.  I think the upside and value are just too low with a guard.

Our bench isn't the issue that we face with Cleveland, benches are so much less meaningful in the playoffs.  The real issue is that we just can't match up with their big three in a seven game series.  Doesn't matter which bench players we add, it won't change the fact that LeBron + Kyrie + Love is better than Wall + Beal + Porter.  Beal is as good or almost as good a #2 as Kyrie is, but LeBron is better than Wall and Love is a lot better than Porter.

Our window hasn't opened yet.  There will eventually come a point where John is better than LeBron and Otto is as good as Love, but we're not there yet.  This plus the facts that:

1 - This is a ridiculously stacked draft class

2 - We need cheap contracts to pay as little luxury tax as possible after we sign Otto

3 - We have no youth or upside left in our big man rotation

4 - We owe it to ourselves to give Satoransky a shot and develop him properly

5 - Scott Brooks is one of the best at developing draft picks in the business

6 - Even if we can sneak past Cleveland, we simply can not beat Golden State or San Antonio in a Finals

Are the reasons we need to hang on to our draft pick and not make any drastic or short term moves before the deadline.  We just need to stay patient and keep building the way we have been.  It got us the Wall/Beal/Porter/Oubre line up.  Let's keep adding young talent so that we never get too old and too expensive as a result of chasing short term gains that won't yield a championship.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Now we can all move on to the "Is Otto worth the contract?!?" discussion!

Otto isn't as good as Wall and Beal.  He's a role player whereas they had star potential.  But you simply have to pay the man what the market dictates.  There is no other good option.  I was harsh to the people who thought we should let Beal walk or trade him for some crappy ass return.  I was also on a ****ing island by myself in support of keeping Beal and believing in his potential.  But the letting Beal walk position was absolutely wrong-headed, the product of terrible groupthink, and I hope we as a fan base can avoid doing it again with Otto.

• Like 2

Is there just no in-between regarding Max Deal and what Porter is worth.  I mean, he's still young and already the best 3 point shooter in the NBA.  I don't like the idea of giving him max anymore then I was okay giving Beal max.  Beal earning it this year, though, just saying.

• Like 1

Porter doesn't do anything great. But he does everything well. And honestly we need that. He does so much work for us without the ball in his hands he is worth it unless it costs us a STAR player. Until then, we need to keep him here. 

He is literally perfect for Wall and Beal and that is hard to find. 

• Like 2

I have no idea who advocated letting beal walk. Didn't hear that much. I was all in for a Beal + Gortat trade to sac for Cousins + McLemore, however. As I thought that a Wall/Porter/Cousins combos would be better. It may turn out to be a wash. 

Porter er gets the max, no questions asked. Dude is almost hitting 50% from deep and a ridiculous adjusted fg%. Pay the man. 

Lastly, I'm absolutely against trading the 2017 first. But I'm 100% for trading the 2018 first. 

• Like 1

“I’m all about wins and losses. We lost. Move on. We’ve got to. We play Wednesday,” Morris said. “We’ve got more to accomplish. The 17-game winning streak happened while we were turning the corner. We might start another streak. It’s one of those things, we’re happy about it. But we’ve still got 40-something games before the playoffs. We’re focused on that now.”

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2017/2/7/14530834/washington-wizards-cleveland-cavaliers-rivalry-renewed-fire-reporting

I dig this teams attitude. I dont see a fall off after this. Coaching and player attitudes make such a world of difference. 

• Like 4

In regards to the inevitable max that's going to be offered to Otto...think about Wall and Beal when they were both up for extensions.  They had their ups/downs, and faced a lot of scrutiny for the potential deals that were going to be given.  Otto is in the same boat.  He's a max player in today's NBA, but he's going to be offered his contract out of good faith.  Wizards are 2/2 when giving the max to players they've drafted.  I have no reason to believe that they won't be 3/3.  Otto is a key part to this team and he'd leave an enormous hole to fill if he was let go.  He's GOT to be here.  Straight up...he's a dude that you'll find on just about any championship roster. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Listening to postgame, it was clearly quiet in the locker room. Beal said everyone in it was pissed off.  To be honest, it was probably better they lost. Will give them that fire for the rest of the season.

Totally agree 

9 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Having SAS sing our praises is probably the least appealing thing about our rise to prominence.

Only sport dude knows is basketball though. Still, i know hes just waiting for us to mess up so he can call us out lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I have no idea who advocated letting beal walk. Didn't hear that much. I was all in for a Beal + Gortat trade to sac for Cousins + McLemore, however. As I thought that a Wall/Porter/Cousins combos would be better. It may turn out to be a wash. 

Porter er gets the max, no questions asked. Dude is almost hitting 50% from deep and a ridiculous adjusted fg%. Pay the man. 

Lastly, I'm absolutely against trading the 2017 first. But I'm 100% for trading the 2018 first. 

Yeah, I don't know either? I'm pretty sure most of us in this thread were saying to pay Beal. 

1. You cant trade Ian unless you are getting a big in return. I think Okafor/Ibaka might be reasonable. Not sure if Ibaka wants to play the rim protector anymore, but he would provide a stretch 4 spot should Morris foul out or Otto/Morris fatigue. Plus there would be a ton of matchup choices available, and hes familiar with Scott Brooks. Could be a Ian for Ibaka/Meeks deal. (problem is that Ibaka is a fa next year). Currently I am leaning towards letting Mahinmi play out the year and see where we are at with him. But with the salaries the way they are and Otto's max on the horizon, Marcin or Ian are going to have to go somewhere at some point. 

2. After Scott's comments on OKC breaking up the Durant/Westbrook/Harden trio too early, I have serious doubts that Otto is going anywhere.

• Like 1