Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

The last big thing the Wizards needed to prove to me is that they can win on the road.  Could we have turned the corner?  I almost don't want the All Star break to come now.  This team is on fire.  

Somebody break out out a Funky Wizards party!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Burgold said:

How much credit do you give Scott Brooks? Does coaching matter that much?

70% of the success this year is due to him imo. The difference between Randy and Scott is night and day. If it were just wall having a career year, that would be one thing. But wall, beal, and Porter are all having career years. Otto in particular is no longer chained to the corner. John is driving more. Beal is driving more than taking mid range j's. And maybe most importantly, Marcin's role is more of a screener than a focus of the offense. I think that's huge, as the wall gortat pick and roll is defendable in the playoffs when you know it's coming. And we aren't even talking about the use of timeouts... Brooks has been worth every penny. 

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

70% of the success this year is due to him imo. The difference between Randy and Scott is night and day. If it were just wall having a career year, that would be one thing. But wall, beal, and Porter are all having career years. Otto in particular is no longer chained to the corner. John is driving more. Beal is driving more than taking mid range j's. And maybe most importantly, Marcin's role is more of a screener than a focus of the offense. I think that's huge, as the wall gortat pick and roll is defendable in the playoffs when you know it's coming. And we aren't even talking about the use of timeouts... Brooks has been worth every penny. 

Not just the Xs and Os stuff where he's made a difference too.  He's got this team playing together in a way we've never seen before.  The chemistry between 1-15 is amazing.  You see it in the little things on the court--the way they move to cover each others gambles and mistakes on defense.  The way they tip balls to each other, they just know where they are going to be.  The way they instinctively move to space the floor for the ball handler's attack and keep the passing lanes open.  The way they follow up each other's misses with put backs.  The way they cut and come out to help whenever a ball handler gets trapped or picks up his dribble.

And you also see it in the way they help each other when they get knocked down.  They rush over immediately and pull the guy up.  They didn't emphasize that under Wittman.  It's a psychological thing that helps keep the players engaged in the moment and builds chemistry and trust between teammates.

Another way that Scott has helped is lightening the load on the starters in practices.  Gortat talked about how the practices were a lot harder under Wittman and the result was they weren't as fresh for the games.  One of the things that I think has befuddled everyone is how the starters have been able to handle such a high minute load this season.  Wall and Beal and Gortat have been playing heavy minutes and yet Gortat hasn't missed a game and Wall and Beal have only missed 2 and 4 respectively.  Otto hasn't missed a game yet either, and Keef has only missed one.  That durability would have been unfathomable last season, especially from Beal and Porter.

Game to game advance scouting has also been better IMO, and we make adjustments when we lose match ups.  Remember the Memphis game when their players admitted they hadn't been prepared for Otto at all, despite the fact he was second in the league in 3P % at the time?  He caught them by surprise.  I doubt that would have happened under Dave Joerger.  Mike Fizdale and his staff are inexperienced and it showed there.  And that is exactly the kind of **** that used to happen to us all of the time under Randy.  Lack of preparation plus an inability to read the flow of games and make the right adjustments led to under achievement.  It's different with Brooks.  Isiah Thomas killed us in the fourth quarter in the second Boston game.  A few weeks later, we see them again and we're prepared.  He comes in at the beginning of the fourth and we stick Oubre on him for the entire quarter and the team put the clamps down on him and Boston never has a chance to come back.

Coaching matters a ton.  It all has to come together to be successful, but coaching is one of the most significant elements in being able to achieve regular season success.  We're not underachieving any more.  Give Scott roster continuity and reasonable health next season and I guarantee the team wins 50+ games.

• Like 4

I agree with everything except the Fizdale ~ Wittman comparison. Fizdale turned Marc Gasol into an offensive powerhouse with limitless range, and a plodding front court team into a perimeter threat while fighting through near season ending injuries to Conley. I think he's a great coach, even if I also liked Joeger. Randy's idea of game planning was "play harder." Worst coach in the league the past 4 years. 

17 minutes ago, TheItalianStallion said:

Another thing, is this season the best of Brooks' coaching career? Could it be better than any of his years in OKC?

Thats a tough one.  Even the season that got him fired was pretty darn good.  45 wins with KD, Russ and Ibaka missing about 90 games combined.

I've always thought the effect of coaching in NBA was a bit overblown and still kinda do, but Brooks is one of the rare few difference making coaches. I'd put him just below the level of Poppovich and Kerr. I think people blamed him for OKC's lack of offensive design at times but when you have ball dominating guards like Harden and Westbrook that's kinda what happens. In DC its been a different story.