Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

A poster on RealGM just proposed this trade of Mahinmi + Nicholson + Burke for Derrick Rose + Hernangomez + Justin Holiday: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=h2s2tcd

I've got to say... I actually like it.  But I'm not sure New York says yes.  But take out Hernangomez and they might.

I wouldn't even think twice about doing this....the trade is a no-brainer, IMO. 

However, who's coming off the bench?  Rose ain't taking Wall/Beal's minutes...so, what would give?  He's playing for a max contract, and I think he'd really balk at the notion of being the 6th man. 

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

A poster on RealGM just proposed this trade of Mahinmi + Nicholson + Burke for Derrick Rose + Hernangomez + Justin Holiday: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=h2s2tcd

I've got to say... I actually like it.  But I'm not sure New York says yes.  But take out Hernangomez and they might.

Other than shedding a few bad contracts that trade doesn't really do anything for the team beyond this season... and I'm not convinced it helps us this season because Rose might go crazy.  Remember that he is all too aware that he's in a contract year.  He wants a max deal and seems to be crumbling beneath the weight of his own expectations.  His sudden and unspecific need to be with family followed being benched in the 4th quarter.  How will he react to limited minutes and a limited role as a reserve?  Poorly, would be my guess.

Why would the knicks do this?  The trade doesn't make them better and ties up a great deal of money or a center with two bad knees and a history of back injuries.  

• Like 1

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2017/1/13/14266582/washington-wizards-future-team-analysis-nba-free-agency-cap-space-analysis

But, the point here isn’t to mock Grunfeld and Leonsis for extravagant spending on crummy players. Anyone who’s watched the team can see that for themselves. Rather, it’s to peer into the future despair that will plague the psyche of Wizards fans. It’s to foresee the feeling that only fans of teams that engage in long-term crapitude can experience — the dawning realization that a meh team hobbled by a heroically awful bench is as good as it’s going to get. No Wizards fans, you don’t even get “next year.”

more in the link

All star voting update:  Wall 7th and Beal isn't on the list.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-all-star-game-voting-update-pachulia-still-getting-more-votes-than-cousins-davis/

New York fans are making a great argument for fan voting being thrown out entirely.  Admittedly, not as good as the one Golden State is making with Zaza, but Rose and Lin being on the list at all is ridiculous. 

• Like 2

Well, isn't that "Bullets Forever" article all sunshine, rainbows, and puppies!

I love it when someone tells those of us that follow the team, and already are aware of the facts, how badly this team is managed, and how dim the future is. Also, they do it in such a way as to make us feel even worse.

The only ways out of this mess that I see is for Ernie to make a trade or two, and jettison some of the costly dead wood, or for Ted to take it up the chute for a year or two in luxury tax. I might enjoy that scenario more, because it's Ted's ineptitude that has kept Ernie around well beyond his shelf life.

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I actually like that trade idea. Nicholson might have to be that bad contract that has to go. I can't see anyone trading for Mahinmi right now. I gues okafor is more of a 4 anyways though. 

Nicholson makes 6.5 million a year, which is less than the MLE.  It's not a bad enough contract to where we need to give up assets to get out of it.  We could eat the cost for the next three years and be fine.

Mahinmi is the only bad contract on the team.  He's an absolute anchor if he can't play.  But there might actually be a light at the end of that tunnel if his knees are so done that he retires.  Then I believe the deal comes off our cap and insurance pays out the deal, but I could be wrong.

There is also the possibility that Mahinmi comes back.  And if that happens, then he'll become tradeable again, or hell, we may even actually want to keep him.

Okafor is a C IMO.  He is a big, lumbering low post player.  He is too defensively limited to play the PF spot.  I can't see him ever becoming a good PnR defender, for example.  What you're getting is a space eater in the lane who can single guard bigs.  His primary value comes from being a really nice low post scoring option for Wall and Beal to hit.  He can move bodies down low, run iso post ups and finish pick and rolls.  Right now we've got that with Gortat, but for how much longer?  And Gortat isn't the most authoritative finisher...  And the other big advantage with Okafor is that he's young and cheap (for now).  He could presumably grow up with the Wall/Beal/Porter/Oubre core.  In the meantime we could groom him behind Gortat and get March's minutes back down to 30 per game where they belong.

One of our biggest long term needs is a quality young big.  This would get us out of the Mahinmi situation and give us one in return for just our draft picks.  This is a strong draft class, so, admittedly, that gives you pause.  But I think the upside of the deal outweighs the risk of being able to get a better, cheaper player with a pick in the teens.

3 hours ago, Long n Left said:

I love it when someone tells those of us that follow the team, and already are aware of the facts, how badly this team is managed, and how dim the future is. Also, they do it in such a way as to make us feel even worse.

It's not that bad.  And I actually think RealGM is more positive about the team and less stressed about it's future than it has been in years.  And that board is a salty bunch of pessimists.

And the reason being is that Wall, Beal, and Porter have all made impressive leaps and Scott Brooks is doing a good job.  There is hope for the future because that core trio is good.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It's not that bad.  And I actually think RealGM is more positive about the team and less stressed about it's future than it has been in years.  And that board is a salty bunch of pessimists.

And the reason being is that Wall, Beal, and Porter have all made impressive leaps and Scott Brooks is doing a good job.  There is hope for the future because that core trio is good.

You may be a little more optimistic than I am, but the lack of young bigs is going to be hard to overcome in their cap situation, I believe. It looks like Otto is in line for a max deal to go along with Beal, and when Wall is up, that's even more money, without any assurance that he'd stay, unless there were a couple younger bigs in the pipeline to make this team a contender.

Oubre and Sato are the only young players with futures in the league, IMO, and one may have to be sacrificed to make a deal for a young big. Morris has a nice contract, but I'm guessing that he'll have to be signed for a big raise when he is up. 

I love the the development of the big 3, but I'm afraid that Ernie's failures to bring in young bigs is going to be this team's downfall in the near future, unless it gets addressed without tearing up their core.

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Watching the VCU game CBSS and Todd Haywood is doing color.  Not too shabby.

You mean Brendan Haywood?  I remember him on the radio when he played for the wizards and thinking he was certain to have a career in sports media.