Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

25 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I was critical of giving Beal the deal at the time and people trashed me for it. "Who else are we going to pay?" "He's young we have to keep him!" "John Wall will be angry if we let him go." All stupid arguments then, all even stupider now.

I feel bad for Wall. He's balling his ass off for a god awful franchise in a city that simply doesn't care at all anymore. I'd say we should trade him and commit to rebuilding but resigning Beal means we're committed to this course for the foreseeable future.

Right there with ya.  Oh well, maybe Brad will turn it around.

not gonna completely crush Beal because it has only been 3 games, but you don't get to be "just another guy" when you're pulling in max dollars

Ernie spent all that money on the bench this offseason and its complete and utter ****.

mr. CantGetRight strikes again

not feeling confident at all in my prediction of 46 wins

Edited by StillUnknown

37 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I feel bad for Wall.

I don't.  He spent the summer talking **** about his teammates in the media and he's played like **** so far.  Nine ****ing turnovers tonight.  Nineteen through the first three games.  And tonight's defense was atrocious, sit down and watch where the breakdowns start most of the time.  It's Wall.  He gambles and is ****ing lazy on the switches and does **** like force Gortat to run all of the way across the court to check a guard on the three point line.  Doesn't close out on three point shooters at all any more.  A big problem because he cheats off his man to try and weak side help in the paint in order to chase steals and blocks.

John is mailing it in.  Been low key doing it since the beginning of last year when he came into the season fat and played like ****.  John has figured out that he can avoid criticism and make AS games simply by getting his numbers on offense.  He's stopped playing smart, winning basketball for the course of a whole game.  He stopped playing defense and stopped improving two years ago.

It's a shame because he's a dominant player when he's focused.  An unmotivated John Wall gives up almost as much as he gives you.  I don't know how you get John to give a crap again, but Brooks needs to figure it out.  He's acting like his buddy DeMarcus Cousins and demonstrating loser habits.

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Wall is going to come after him (hopefully in private).  He has to.

Wall needs to look in the mirror before he criticizes anyone else.  Wall has not been balling.  He was atrocious tonight.

• Like 1

A couple of other thoughts:

- Beal's disappearing act killed us.  He got crushed tonight.  He and Wall have been reading their own press too much.  He's not even close to as good as DeRozan is right now.

That said, he needs to get the ball in better situations on offense.  He can not handle these panic possessions where they dump him the ball with 8 seconds on the clock.  He is not a good enough isolation scorer to get to his spots and create a shot in that time.  Brooks is going to have to run offense for him.

- The bench is unworkable right now.  We need better veteran depth at the three.  Oubre isn't ready to handle all of the minutes behind Otto and Thornton brings so little to the table.  Burke probably just isn't good enough to point guard the unit.  And Sato is a rookie.  Ernie needs to make a trade to bring in a reliable option on the wing.  A creative scorer would be ideal.  The bench front court will be good when Mahinmi gets back but the wings can't get them the ball.

The only solution right now is to stagger Beal's minutes so that he's playing with the bench.

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Wall needs to look in the mirror before he criticizes anyone else.  Wall has not been balling.  He was atrocious tonight.

Image result for what gif

At least Wall was aggressive on offense, can we say the same about Beal?  Whole team was screwing up on switching, no way I can qualify 33/11 as atrocious.  Dude basically put the team on his back, Beal is supposed to helping with that.  

I'll agree that his defense has regressed, but I will not go so far as to say he's mailed it in. That's crazy talk.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Taylor703 said:

You really just blamed Wall? Holy lord what is going on here? 

People thinking he was good because he dropped 33 points is part of the problem.  He was a disaster in the second and third quarters and he spent the whole fourth quarter trying to dig out of his hole.  His turnovers led directly to a ton of Toronto points and he was the point of failure in our defense for most of the night.  If you guys don't believe me, isolate John's defense next game.  Watch as he switches off onto bigs rather than fights through screens, sags off his man 12 feet into the paint and gets burned by the skip pass for the open three (which he won't bother to contest), and gets caught flat footed by the drive and puts Gortat into the situation where he has to foul.

I love John, I've never liked criticizing him, and I hate to see him playing like this.  I know what it means.  He's not trying when he doesn't have the ball and is playing good enough to pass the blame for losses off onto someone else, but not good enough to win.  It means he's stopped caring.

16 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If you guys don't believe me, isolate John's defense next game.  

Fully intend to.

12 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

took my man 3 games to go from being bullish on the Wizards to win 50, to essentially calling Wall a fraud

dc sports will do that to you 

Went straight Linda Blair Exorcist on us, man.  

Image result for exorcist head spin gif

Edited by Renegade7

I'm not calling Wall a fraud.  I'm saying he played like crap over the first three games.  He's unmotivated and put up empty numbers tonight.  But I know he can be reached.  Brooks just has to figure out how to get through with him and get him focused.

I'll give him a pass for playing through injuries and pain last year.  I'm also expecting him to get right in a little while as he has a tendency to go through protracted slumps and then come out of them for equally long hot streaks.  I was expecting him to come into the year looking rough because of the time he missed this summer due to his knee surgeries.  This hasn't been a surprise.

I don't want to hear him ****ing whining about his teammates to the media any more though. 

BTW I still think this team can win 50 games.  They look like **** right now because they don't know the offense or defense and the execution is very ugly as a result.  The bench is also in flux and they are clearly missing a player on the wing.  But I have faith in Brooks to get it figured out..  He's a good coach and the starting five is too talented not to learn the systems, come together, and execute.

4 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

Yeah, sorry, you don't fill up a stat line like that by being lazy or not trying. I honestly have no idea what Wall you watched tonight Steve but it was a completely different one from me...

even the turnovers can be misleading, some of those were passes that professional basketballers should reel in 

• Like 1

I don't know about lazy, I'm not seeing that, but Wall's well known for inconsistent defensive effort and entirely too many turnovers.  We've seen him lit up by a long list of backup scrub point guards and he average over 4 turnover per game last season.  9 turnovers is entirely too many.  That said, I expected him to rest on defense because he's playing himself into game shape.  The gas tank is definitely not full at the moment.

Eh, don't have to take my word for it.  He had a 112 DRtg tonight.  That's ****ing terrible.  That's James Harden level of not giving a damn.  Keep your eyes on him in particular on defense next game to see what I mean about him being the most common point of failure.

That defense plus the nine turnovers which led to a ton of Toronto points were what dug our hole in that awful third quarter.  His huge fourth quarter was great in that he almost got us out, but it doesn't change his level of play which led to that hole in the first place.  Wall gave up more than he got in return tonight, and if you guys don't believe that's possible, then I suspect you haven't seen a star player put up a lot of empty numbers in losses before.

It kills me that Wall is showing me things that I've killed guys like Kevin Love and James Harden and DeMarcus Cousins for in the past.   Those are loser habits and he's the team's leader must be held accountable.  I can not stand watching a star player drag ass when he doesn't have the ball in his hands and try a bunch of seat of his pants low percentage passes because he doesn't care enough to stay disciplined and in the game flow.

That doesn't mean he can't turn it around though.  Paul Pierce mailed like five whole years of his career in before maturing into a HoFer and champion and one of the greatest players of his generation.

Interesting. So the guy has been mailing it in for a year? The star player?

Steve, homer away...but geez. How can you sit there with a straight face and expect 50 wins when your star player...mails it in?

Not trying to troll you. It's a genuine question. 

Come on man. You're better than that. 

4 hours ago, Destino said:

Beal's defense has always been suspect. 

When he's dialed in, he's legitimately good.  When he's not, he's terrible.  He doesn't have the size and length at the position to recover when he falls behind on a play.   He has to stay keyed in and win with anticipation instead.  He in particular suffers when the team defense collapses.  Otto and Oubre are much stronger defenders than he is.

Steve, here's the thing. In the history of the league, there has only been a handful of superstars that have been both the best offensive and defensive player on the court. There's Kobe, Shaq, Jordan, Lebron for a while, and now Leonard. Asking that John be a maricale worker on the offensive end, and then also our best defensive player is just not easonable. You aren't wrong that he sags off his man on the defensive end and hawks the passing lanes, but you don't have much of a choice when there is absolutely zero interior presence. Otto Porter is better at guarding the paint/crashing the boards than Marcin is. Thats a problem. Team defense only exists when you are able to funnel the other team into a shot that they are opposed to taking. Guys are getting funneled into our rim protector, who is non existent on the defensive end. So now everyone is sagging off their man to help out and are getting burned.