Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Wall played well.  Beal played well.  Nene played well.  Gooden played well too.  Normally all of that equals a win.  The Clippers just had to set their franchise record for 3 pointers tonight.

CP3 has chucked up a lot of questionable shots tonight.  Made some of them, bricked just as many.  That's surprising from him.

The three seed is the best spot in the first round because Milwaukee is going to be the softest team in the playoffs unless Boston makes it.  Indy is rounding into form and Paul George is coming back next week.  That's going to be an annoyingly tough first round draw for Atlanta or Cleveland.  And Miami still has way too much left over from their championship runs to want to play them in the first.  I don't rule out the possibility of Wade going HAM for a series and averaging 30 a game.  It would give me a great deal of schadenfreude if Wade went off against Cleveland and Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love disappeared in their first postseason and Miami knocked them out.  If Bosh hadn't gotten sick I think it might have actually been possible.

The teams that end up at 4-5 are going to have a toss up series with the slight advantage going to the home team.

Although losing handily in the first round might be the only way we get rid of Randy.  Absurd to have to think like that, but that's where we are.

Although losing handily in the first round might be the only way we get rid of Randy.  Absurd to have to think like that, but that's where we are.

sometimes you have sacrifice short-term happiness for the greater good

Although I don't really believe Ted will fire him even if we get swept in the first round.

Edited by StillUnknown

That nightmare scenario I mentioned after the Utah game has happened. 

3. Bulls

4. Raptors

5. Wizards

Can't let the season end like that Randy, gotta go on another winning streak soon. 

We can beat Toronto (I think) but it would require Randy doing something he seems reluctant to do:

Going small for a prolonged period.

This is from realgm

Wall and Beal not the fit we think they are?

I actually think the ideal backcourt mate for Wall is another point guard that can shoot in the Bledsoe/Dragic mold

I was thinking about this more ever since the all-star game. Walls ability to finish oops, get offensive boards, attack off the ball and cut to the basket are underrated. When there is another guard with him who can push the ball fast and actually be a threat to go hard at the rim, Wall is absolutely lethal in transition in this scenario.

I think classically we've always been like well just stretch the floor and get some shooters, but I think this leaves half of Walls game underutilized. And its become more apparent to me in some of these small guard lineups with Sessions. Despite his inability to shoot, Sessions' ability to actually get to the rim, the combination of both Wall and him on the floor together has actually looked very good at times, especially when with Paul or Gooden at the 4.

And then I realized, did Calipari figure out the best way to use Wall years ago with Kentucky? 

Wall, Bledsoe, Miller (3 and D guy), Patterson, Cousins.

We always talk about how Beal and Wall never have great games together. I'm staritng to think the fit is bad. Reason being Wall can make plays for Beal but Beal can't make plays for Wall. When Beal handles the ball, people just ball watch because everything develops so slowly. Wall is basically just standing around. 

Thoughts?

Someone that can dribble and shoot? So someone like like, oh I don't know.... James Harden? That mistake will never stop being a franchise altering disaster.

What this discussion is really about however is Beal. He's a limited role player right now and fans were expecting more. The roster had too little ball handling talent and when you're looking for that, you look at the guards first. Sessions and Wall can drive. Miller could get to the rim at will. Beal can't and so he sticks out.

I don't think Beal being a bad fit is the problem. I think this team lacking a second star and a primary scoring option is the problem. Get a second star at any other position for Wall to work with and a better coach/offense and the wizards will be just fine. Right now Wall has to do too much and he's not helped by Wittman's terrible offense and coaching in general.

• Like 2

I still like Beal. I think the coaching has really done him a disservice.

I do agree that we need another star though. I think Beal is the ideal 3rd star(best case scenario), with Wall being the #1/#2. We really really need Kevin Durant. Hopefully his injury issues aren't serious but make OKC not want to keep him...

Edited by Warhead36

Wait, now Beal is no good? Nah. We have pieces. We just dont have the right guys in place to make them better. Until Wittman and/or EG is gone, i withold judgement on all young players in DC.

I mean... Are we saying that the only way Wittman's offense has a chance against the better teams in this league is to have 2 MVP candidates on the team? Thats ridiculous. We can do better.

Edited by Skin'emAlive