Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

im not saying we should have let him walk

but no one was offering him what we offered. Reign it in, thats all I am saying.

But look at the going rate for centers...they get paid.  I don't think the Wizards had much of an option. 

Bogut/Pek/Javale Mcgee/etc. all making 11/12 mil per year...

He wasn't taking a 3/4 year deal...he was getting the max regardless if it was here or elsewhere.  If there is ever a time in the league to be a moderately skilled big man in the L, this is it. 

But look at the going rate for centers...they get paid.  I don't think the Wizards had much of an option. 

Bogut/Pek/Javale Mcgee/etc. all making 11/12 mil per year...

He wasn't taking a 3/4 year deal...he was getting the max regardless if it was here or elsewhere.  If there is ever a time in the league to be a moderately skilled big man in the L, this is it.

if he didnt take a 4 year deal here, he would have gotten elsewhere. No team was offering him 5 years or the amount of money we offered. That's what I am trying to say.

if he didnt take a 4 year deal here, he would have gotten elsewhere. No team was offering him 5 years or the amount of money we offered. That's what I am trying to say.

Ahhh, ok...gotcha. 

Right now, I don't have a problem with the contract.  He's a "young" 30, as in he doesn't have as much wear/tear on his body as many of his peers.  Now, by the time he is 34/35, I'll probably be singing a different tune....

I declared it a bad contract when it was signed. Wrong side of 30 and his production was never worth 15 million a year.

I do agree we need to run more PnR for him but he still has a job at the other end. And no, if he is feeling down on himself and moping he is a headcase. THat is what you would call him if he didnt play for the Wizards.

Al Jefferson is awful defensively and Gortat could do nothing against him.

12 million per year, and that number is in line with what a starting center makes. Gortat is an above average starting C.

Lance Stephenson is a headcase. JR Smith is a headcase. Andray Blatche was a headcase. Gortat is NOT a headcase.

Also, Gortat's production this year is almost identical to his production from last season despite the recent slump. The only real difference in his numbers is he's playing 3 minutes less per game. That's a predictable given we signed quality back ups and Seraphin has emerged to play consistent C minutes. He needs to be more involved offensively, but on the whole he's been about the same this year as last. And his defense is still as good as it was last year, maybe even a little better and he'd probably be putting up a better DRPM number than last year if he was playing as many minutes. He's still doing the dirty work.

Seems like you're piling on him during a slump because you didn't like the deal at the time. What would you have rather we done than sign him? Who is your starting C then?

Also, not that it proved your point about Gortat, but Al Jefferson is a quality defensive player and Charlotte is an excellent defensive team.

12 million per year seemed high at the time, but he was going to get at least 10 or 11 per year no matter where he went. 12 is where you're seeing the market settle for starting caliber Cs. Gortat was also coming off a season where everything went right for him on court. He played the whole season and set career highs in minutes and his production in the advanced metrics was top end for the C position. ESPN had third in WAR and RPM: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/year/2014/position/9

When you look at that list, you see that there are very few two-way centers producing on the court, and none better than Gortat were UFAs last summer. He was going to get paid.

And honestly, that market standard is about to shoot up once the new TV money raises the cap. I think by next summer or the one after, you're going to be looking at a market where average starting Cs get paid at least 15-16 million per. Maybe even more if the cap jump is huge like it probably should be.

No other team could have offered him the 5th year because of the CBA only allows 4 year deals unless a team is using the 5th year exception to extend their own player. Offering him the 5th year was us using that built in advantage to keep him from testing the open market, where there was a decent chance we could have lost him to Dallas, San Antonio, or Miami. We really couldn't afford to lose him without taking a major step back in the immediate term.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

I'm seeing some projections of a cap that could be anywhere from 80 to 91 million in the summer of 2016 depending on how the league decides to phase in the revenues from the new TV deal. That'd be as much as a 45% increase in a single summer if they jump all of the way to 91 from 63.

Even if they phase the revenue in slowly and raise the cap to only 80 million by 2016, that means teams are probably going to get at least 15 million in new cap money starting that summer.

By the time Gortat is in the third year of his deal, the 12 million a year is going to be a pittance for a starting caliber 7 footer. If 12 million is just under 20% of a 63 million dollar cap, then an equivalent contract with a 91 million dollar cap is going to be almost 18 million. That's the future market rate for big men you're looking at within the next three offseasons or so.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

Like I said before my concerns with Gortats deal is the length of it when you consider his age.  The amount doesn't really strike me as terrible because NBA centers are virtually all over paid.  7 foot starters are expensive, even the mediocre ones. 

The bigger issue I have with this team is the 2 man offense (with three guys standing around) and the fact that we have essentially two guys that can dribble the ball. 

• Like 1

I really wish they would stop waiting on Ray Allen. EG is calling his agent once a week, if he wants to come here he'll finally pick up the phone and call us. Sign Nate Robinson and let's get some scoring off the bench, since Witt refuses to come off the bench platoon strategy. 

I really wish they would stop waiting on Ray Allen. EG is calling his agent once a week, if he wants to come here he'll finally pick up the phone and call us. Sign Nate Robinson and let's get some scoring off the bench, since Witt refuses to come off the bench platoon strategy. 

Ray Allen wouldn't solve any of the team's biggest issues.

John wall is the only player in the league outside of Lebron and Chris Paul that has the capacity to make this offense work. Bringing in Nate Robinson isn't going to change that. We need to run more plays for gortat ( p&r) and beal to step it up ( which I doubt happens until next year)

How was that not a travel by Korver?

I can't believe the Atlanta play by play guy's voice is real.

Team is playing tight out there. Not playing particularly well but thankfully neither is Atlanta... for now.

Five turnovers. Funky spacing on that last turnover. Porter and Temple ran to the same spots on the floor.

Six turnovers. A bad post up by John.

This could get ugly quick if the offense doesn't start executing better. They've been abysmal for the last six minutes or so.