Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

When have you really seen Otto play? He's got like 1,000 career minutes in two seasons. Otto can't impress you if he doesn't play.

+/- doesn't seem particularly relevant to a comparison of the two. Otto is an infrequent bench player and Beal was a full time starter from day one. Although it is worth pointing out that Beal's first 1,000 minutes were terrible and his +/- was probably awful seeing as how most of those minutes would have come during a stretch where we went 5-28.

Yes, Otto and Beal are comparable talents, the difference is we stacked the deck in Beal's favor and stacked the deck against Otto. Beal got big minutes from the start by default and Otto's PT has been blocked by short term vets. The coaching staff is sacrificing Otto's superior long term value to the team for short term goals of having a better three ball coming off the bench at SF. It's a crappy way to use and develop a high draft pick.

All good points but I definitely don't remember Beal's first thousand minutes being terrible at all. I remember the the league and the fans all being pretty darned impressed.

I'll defer to you about Otto though. 

What does Otto do better than Bulter or Webster?

Rebound, defend, pass, and score from 2. Essentially every thing else but shoot threes.

Butler, was a KEY contributor for this team and was one of our better players for the better part of the first half of the season.

Butler was extremely hot from the three point line for the first month and a half of the season. He didn't/doesn't bring anything else to the table and he's not shooting as well as he was any more.

Webster, while rusty, brings more offensively and I'd trust him more (right now) than Porter with playing time.  He's working himself back into game shape.

Webster has been horrible since he's come back. There is absolutely no reason to be playing him over Porter right now.

How should Otto be developing then?  Have you considered that maybe he's just not coming along as quickly as people hoped?  The way the Wizards are constructed now, putting raw meat out there for the sake of playing him, isn't doing anyone favors.  This team is in "win-now" mode.  They LEGIT have championsip aspirations.  If Porter can't crack the rotation, then so be it.  I'd much rather have guys getting PT who can help get us to that next level.  There are obviously things that go on in practice/games that we aren't privy to. It's not some consipracy to ruin Otto.  THere's most likely a good reason why his minutes are down and he's racking up DNP-CDs.  If anything, he should just keep grinding.  Look at how Kevin Seraphin responded.  Dude is arguably playing the best ball of his career after being yo-yo'd, criticized, etc.  He's now a key member of the bench, and a guy we'll rely on heavily in the playoffs, or if Nene goes down. 

SM, I get it...Otto is your guy.  We're fresh off you proclaiming Noel being bust material, but Porter being on the road to contributing in a major way LOL.  However, I STRONGLY feel that you're seeing what you want to see.  You can post all the stats you want, but I really think you're crazy if you honestly believe that Otto even remotely compares to Beal.  It goes on and on. 

To quote Ivan Drago, but change it around to fit this discussion... "If he's traded, he's traded." 

This is a #3 pick that I wouldn't shed any tears over if he's moved.  I'd much rather Ernie do his due diligence and see what he can get in return to help this team going forward. 

Edited by RonArtest15
  • Like 1

How should Otto be developing then?  Have you considered that maybe he's just not coming along as quickly as people hoped?  The way the Wizards are constructed now, putting raw meat out there for the sake of playing him, isn't doing anyone favors.  This team is in "win-now" mode.  They LEGIT have championsip aspirations.  If Porter can't crack the rotation, then so be it.  I'd much rather have guys getting PT who can help get us to that next level.  There are obviously things that go on in practice/games that we aren't privy to. It's not some consipracy to ruin Otto.  THere's most likely a good reason why his minutes are down and he's racking up DNP-CDs.  If anything, he should just keep grinding.  Look at how Kevin Seraphin responded.  Dude is arguably playing the best ball of his career after being yo-yo'd, criticized, etc.  He's now a key member of the bench, and a guy we'll rely on heavily in the playoffs, or if Nene goes down. 

SM, I get it...Otto is your guy.  We're fresh off you proclaiming Noel being bust material, but Porter being on the road to contributing in a major way LOL.  However, I STRONGLY feel that you're seeing what you want to see.  You can post all the stats you want, but I really think you're crazy if you honestly believe that Otto even remotely compares to Beal.  It goes on and on. 

To quote Ivan Drago, but change it around to fit this discussion... "If he's traded, he's traded." 

This is a #3 pick that I wouldn't shed any tears over if he's moved.  I'd much rather Ernie do his due diligence and see what he can get in return to help this team going forward.

yeah, I actually sort of agree with Steve that Otto needs more minutes to show his worth.

But I don't know if the team is missing him, so much as I just want to see if our #3 pick from 2013 is any good.

I genuinely do not get why Steve feels the need to bash Nerlens Noel, especially to prop up Otto who has done nothing. Its just weird.

and breaking it down to "first 1,000" minutes to compare players is so flawed that I do not know where to start.

• Like 1

yeah, I actually sort of agree with Steve that Otto needs more minutes to show his worth.

But I don't know if the team is missing him, so much as I just want to see if our #3 pick from 2013 is any good.

I genuinely do not get why Steve feels the need to bash Nerlens Noel, especially to prop up Otto who has done nothing. Its just weird.

and breaking it down to "first 1,000" minutes to compare players is so flawed that I do not know where to start.

I 1000% agree that Otto needs more minutes to show what he can do, but it just might now be possible here in DC with how the team is constructed and also while looking at the future.  If we're in "win now" mode, I wouldn't be shocked if Otto is packaged somewhere to bring in either help at the back up PG spot, or at the 3. 

Not Otto's fault, nor the Wizards.  Wizards got good at the wrong time for Otto, and unfortuantely, he just may end up being a trade chip to make the team stronger. 

• Like 1

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/kobe-bryant-wanted-to-sign-with-washington-wizards-join-michael-jordan/2015/01/26/1a7db904-a565-11e4-a7c2-03d37af98440_story.html?tid=hpModule_a4df998e-86a7-11e2-9d71-f0feafdd1394

Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Washington Wizards, join Michael Jordan

When Kobe Bryant made his first public comments after signing a two-year extension in November 2013, the Los Angeles Lakers were in Washington and the future Hall of Famer held a news conference at Verizon Center while a Washington Wizards banner hung behind him and a microphone with the Wizards’ “dc” logo rested in front of him. The image gave Wizards fans a chance to indulge a fantasy in which Bryant collected championship rings a few blocks from the White House instead of Los Angeles.

Very few know that this seemingly laughable fantasy was nearly reality: More than a decade ago, Bryant wanted to get away from Los Angeles, and the team he wanted to join was the Wizards, where he would join forces with his mentor Michael Jordan.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Rebound, defend, pass, and score from 2. Essentially every thing else but shoot threes.

Butler was extremely hot from the three point line for the first month and a half of the season. He didn't/doesn't bring anything else to the table and he's not shooting as well as he was any more.

Webster has been horrible since he's come back. There is absolutely no reason to be playing him over Porter right now.

I'm not seeing what you're seeing in Otto... yet. I know any player needs more minutes but some players (like Butler) make the most of what they get in order to get more.

Butler can't get hot again? I don't think he's been slumping for as long as you say and I like his hustle. Every player has some ups and downs during an 82 game season.

Webster doesn't deserve a chance to get his legs back? (Not that I'm crazy about Webster.) 

I don't know, Steve. You are a very savvy b-ball guy but I'm just not feeling you on this one. I'm aware we need to dig in and see what we got from the #3 Porter pick but I'm seeing a lot of mediocre play whenever he gets his chance.

Im with Steve on this issue. Here is what we know:

• Webster is coming off his 3rd back surgery following both a poor shooting and defensive year.

• Butler, while still good from behind the arc, is coming back to earth and is not part of our future plans. (hes also a 2 not a 3).

• Pierce has gotten better each month both offensively and defensively. He is also in his 17th season and at best will be here one more year.

• Otto was shooting quite well with decent minutes early in the season. He also plays the best help defense of any of the 4, scraps for rebounds against anyone and seems to have a great basketball IQ. Unfortunately he lacks confidence in his 3 point shot. There is also a very high probability that Otto will be the only other drafted player outside of Wall and Beal in a few months after Seraphin gets paid. Unless Durant comes here, which i doubt, it would be in our best interest to develop him now.
  • Like 1

I'll post this in the Maryland thread as well.

http://www.csnbaltimore.com/ncaa-maryland-terps/dez-wells-john-wall-the-journey-washington-wizards-he-made-you-feel-you-could-be-something

'He made you feel like you could be something'

It was fitting that shortly after Maryland guard Dez Wells hit a game-winner to lift his team to a 68-67 win over Northwestern, a game that aired on BTN, that same network would debut an episode of its acclaimed series “The Journey” that spotlighted that very senior.

One of the centerpieces of Wells’ story revolved around his relationship with Washington Wizards guard John Wall, with whom Wells grew up in Raleigh, N.C. The two played high school basketball together for three years at Word of God Academy.

“I stayed at his house a lot my senior year in high school,” Wall joked. “Make sure he gets to school on time, make sure I get to school on time.”

“John has been like a big brother,” Wells said. “John was like one of the first guys that I saw in Raleigh like really make it so I just kept working and he always told me, you know, hard work pays off. He was one of those guys that you looked up to and it was just like, he made you feel like you could be something.”

As Wells helped Maryland to a win, Wall was in Denver putting up 19 points and 16 assists while committing just two turnovers in a 117-115 Wizards victory over the Nuggets.

“It’s fun and exciting seeing him develop and grow,” Wall said on BTN. “He’s looking at me and I’m telling him at the same time I’m also looking at him and seeing what he’s doing to help his team become one of those elite teams in college basketball.”

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

The issue is more about Steve's overpraising of Otto like he has done a lot in the NBA, when the truth is he hasnt had much of an impact.

None of us really know how good or bad Otto is, and that includes Steve.

Agreed, although his reasoning why we should keep Otto is solid.

• Like 1

Agreed, although his reasoning why we should keep Otto is solid.

Im not advocating trading Otto at all.

I am not sure anyone is. All I am saying is he has done nothing to be worthy of any type of praise.

I would rather not see him traded, but I have not seen a thing that says he is vital either.

• Like 1

Im not advocating trading Otto at all.

I am not sure anyone is. All I am saying is he has done nothing to be worthy of any type of praise.

I would rather not see him traded, but I have not seen a thing that says he is vital either.

Yep. My sentiments exactly. If one were to go way back in this thread to his rookie season, one would notice I was unimpressed from the start. I've always said (and said it here on ES regarding Redskins and Wizards) that when someone is special, it shows pretty much right away. John Wall would be the example to use in disagreement with me and I'd have no comeback for that but I still stand by the rule to which JW is the exception.

I suppose more minutes for Porter would give us a verdict over time but with Ariza last year and Pierce this year, it ain't gonna happen. 

• Like 1

Per Wittman, John Wall is a gametime decision tonight vs. #Lakers... Paul Pierce (toe) is out #WizLakers

Wall starts as expected, despite leg soreness. He'll stay under 30 min. Porter starts for Pierce again #WizardsTalk @CSNWizards #WizLakers

Edited by STBonecrusher21