Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

SM, I completely disagree.  What would your argument be if the roles were reversed?  Think about if we had Noel and the 76ers had Porter?  Noel, for a "rookie," is playing well.  I think he still has as much of an upside as Porter.  Too soon to label any of these guys "busts," because the jury is still out for both players. 

Personally, I think Porter will be a fine role player...a good 3rd wheel.  Which is fine, considering we have two studs in Beal/Wall.  I think Noel has the potential to be a defensive anchor.  I compare him to an injury-free, motivated, Larry Sanders.

As I said, it's too soon to label these guys.  Let's check back next season, or year 4 to see where they're at. 

He's shooting 40% from the floor and has a 9.7 PER and an ORtg of 82. He's having a dreadful "rookie" year RA15, those numbers are Jan Vesely territory, except Vesely never shot nearly as poorly from the floor. What's to indicate his fate will be any better then Vesely's?

If you switch the roles of Noel and Porter, Noel would be buried on our bench, never seeing the floor, and Porter would at least be playing a lot of minutes and scoring.

Larry Sanders at his best is a very limited player. That'd be a lesser player than what Porter can be. But Larry Sanders was also never as bad as Noel has been on offense. And Sanders is a pretty lousy offensive player.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

He's shooting 40% from the floor and has a 9.7 PER and an ORtg of 82. He's having a dreadful "rookie" year RA15, those numbers are Jan Vesely territory, except Vesely never shot nearly as poorly from the floor. What's to indicate his fate will be any better then Vesely's?

If you switch the roles of Noel and Porter, Noel would be buried on our bench, never seeing the floor, and Porter would at least be playing a lot of minutes and scoring.

Larry Sanders at his best is a very limited player. That'd be a lesser player than what Porter can be. But Larry Sanders was also never as bad as Noel has been on offense. And Sanders is a pretty lousy offensive player.

You want to bring up Porter's #'s from last year? 

Noel, is a product of a young/inexperienced 76ers team.  This is his FIRST taste of NBA action, and everyone knew he was going to be a project.  Porter, by all accounts, was the "most NBA ready" prospect last year.  He looked like a fish out of water in his rookie year, and I don't see how you can say that one will be better than the other based off of what you've seen.  If one has a ceiling as a good 3rd wheel and the other has the potential to be a defensive anchor, I don't know how you pick one over the other...especially at this point. 

Larry Sanders, was a damn good player 3 years ago.  No one thought he would fall off the way that he has.  Dude was averaging close to a double-double to go with near 3 blocks per night. 

• Like 1

You want to bring up Porter's #'s from last year? 

Noel, is a product of a young/inexperienced 76ers team.  This is his FIRST taste of NBA action, and everyone knew he was going to be a project.  Porter, by all accounts, was the "most NBA ready" prospect last year.  He looked like a fish out of water in his rookie year, and I don't see how you can say that one will be better than the other based off of what you've seen.  If one has a ceiling as a good 3rd wheel and the other has the potential to be a defensive anchor, I don't know how you pick one over the other...especially at this point. 

Larry Sanders, was a damn good player 3 years ago.  No one thought he would fall off the way that he has.  Dude was averaging close to a double-double to go with near 3 blocks per night.

Porter was an actual NBA rookie last season, dealt with injuries, and only played 396 minutes total. Noel has already played almost as many career minutes as Porter and he came in the same draft class. There is not really an issue of one being significantly more experienced than the other. Porter is just much better and much farther along. He came in with a better chance of success than Noel, if for no other reason than he actually has an NBA position. And the fact that Noel plays for such an awful Philly team increases his chance of busting, not decreases it.

• Like 2

Again, I'm not talking about the players or the way they play, I'm talking about the way the games are called.

I think the referees in college basketball are probably the worst officials in any sport.

They have no earthly idea how to handle a game that actually involves post play at this point.

NBA refs let things go, but they are generally consistent in how they let things go. College games can be tight as drums in the first ten minutes. Then free for alls for 5 minutes. And back and forth and the games never get a flow as a result.

As expected, #Wizards are indeed waiving Glen Rice Jr. today.

Jorge Castillo

· 

#Wizards have 2 windows: This season and next with current cast, and then Wall, Beal, Porter, etc. w/2016 free agent(s).

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Rice is who he is. A douche. Pretty clear by now. Wish him the best though.

http://www.csnwashington.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/temple-wall-send-encouragement-ex-teammate-glen-rice

Temple, Wall send encouragement to ex-teammate Glen Rice

The one guy in the Wizards' locker room who can relate to Glen Rice, who has been waived by the team though it won't be made official until later Wednesday, is reserve Garrett Temple. 

Before Temple signed a two-year deal before this season, he lacked job security. He bounced in and out of the NBA, mostly on 10-day contracts and in the D-League, and even spent time overseas. Temple, unlike Rice who was drafted in the second round in 2013 and was on a partially guaranteed contract, had an even tougher road because he went undrafted in 2009. But Temple has the demeanor that coaches such as Randy Wittman can appreciate while Rice is prone to being more combative which was a strike against him. 

By waiving Rice now, he'll be able to clear waivers in three days when contracts become fully guaranteed which will open a roster spot for the Wizards (23-11). Aside from the development that Rice needs as a player, the feeling in the locker room was that he was a great teammate who did have issues being coached, confirming an earlier report by CSNwashington.com that his release would happen today.

The moral of this story: Even if you're certain that you're right -- and yes, sometimes it's the coach who is wrong -- it's best not to respond, take the criticism and move on to the next play. 

"I've talked to him about three times a week. I knew it was happening. I knew what was going on," said Temple, a 6-6 guard, after the Wizards practiced before tonight's game vs. the New York Knicks at Verizon Center. "I gave him advice every day. I've given him advice since he got to the team. I told him to stick with it. It only takes one team that likes you. 

John Wall, who readily admits that early in his career he had difficult accepting coaching, too, but he was a No. 1 overall pick. It took him time to grow into an All-Star. Four years to be exact. 

"You just got to stay professional. I know it's tough when you're a guy that wants to play and do certain things but in this league some guys got to just wait for the opportunity. It takes a long time," said Wall, in his fifth season.

"You know you've got the talent to play in this league. You just got to find the right niche. 

"He really got frustrated, not playing, not dressing, a guy that's young and want to prove himself it's kind of tough to take the back seat when you're used to playing a lot of minutes. You could tell at times when he would get frustrated not playing as much. You got to know how to accept it and just be professional. It's not just us. Twenty-nine other teams might want to know how he's doing in practice, how he's competing and coming into work every day."

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Would help solidify the 2nd unit as well, Pierce gives them a shot creator when things go haywire. Pierce could still play crunch time minutes. Won't happen, but it would make a lot of sense.

Yep. Makes sense to you and I but not to Wittman.

That sort of thinking would be too out of the box for Randy.

Our last road trip was an interesting test to see how we matched with the west - but this next 4 game stretch is huge. 

Chicago

@Atlanta

San Antonio

@Chicago (back-to-back)

That second Chicago game is brutal. But IF we can win Chicago at home and finally get the SA monkey off our back and go 2-2 that will be enormous. 

Edited by Duckus

Our last road trip was an interesting test to see how we matched with the west - but this next 4 game stretch is huge. 

Chicago

@Atlanta

San Antonio

@Chicago (back-to-back)

That second Chicago game is brutal. But IF we can win Chicago at home and finally get the SA monkey off our back and go 2-2 that will be enormous. 

If the Wizards are as good as we hope they should be able to win both at home and one of those road games.  At some point they've got to show you can hang with the better teams.