Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

They're mad because Bron-Bron and the Cavs aren't dominating.

They're mad because the Spurs have taken a step back.

They're mad because their 3 favorite teams, the Celtics, Lakers and Knicks suck ass.

The NBA can't stand for any upstart team to do well as it will hurt their jersey sales in China, South America or Europe.

Been saying this for the last 35 years, but no one wants to hear that the NBA has favorites and fixes games. Even Doneghy agrees with me.

I know the Wizards are playing very well, but I won't let go of this theory until I see one or more of the traditional sucky teams win a title.

The NBA doesn't fix games. But it is obvious that star players get the benefit of the doubt from the official. I also think refs are instructed to keep games as competitive as possible which sometimes means calling fouls in favor of one team to make sure they don't fall too far behind(or not calling them for the winning team).

The NBA doesn't fix games. But it is obvious that star players get the benefit of the doubt from the official. I also think refs are instructed to keep games as competitive as possible which sometimes means calling fouls in favor of one team to make sure they don't fall too far behind(or not calling them for the winning team).

Umm, that's called fixing games. Call the game correctly and if it's a blowout, then so be it. I realize star players get certain calls, but out of the four major sports it's most prevalent in the NBA. Just call the damn game right and let the players win or lose.

The NBA has the worst officiating. NFL is next, followed by MLB and then the NHL.

Edited by pjfootballer

Ariza and Smith were a combined 4-16 last night for the Rockets.  This bodes well for our game tonight.

Don't be silly.

That means they'll shoot lights out against us tonight.

THEN they will go back to struggling tomorrow night.

Edited by STBonecrusher21
  • Like 2

Umm, that's called fixing games. Call the game correctly and if it's a blowout, then so be it. I realize star players get certain calls, but out of the four major sports it's most prevalent in the NBA. Just call the damn game right and let the players win or lose.

The NBA has the worst officiating. NFL is next, followed by MLB and then the NHL.

I have always been of the mind that if a star player was really worth the hype, he wouldn't need officials helping him look good in every game. 

Being bottom three in 3PA isn't necessarily a bad thing. We're 4th in FG% and being selective with our 3PA is a big part of that.

4th in FG% in an offense that's as heavy on mid range jumpers is really impressive actually. It's a testament to how good at scoring and passing all of our players are. Everyone can play within themselves and take the shots they are comfortable with when everyone passes well and requires their defender to guard them.

That said, it'll be nice to have Webster back in large part because he's a confident 3 ball shooter and we only have three of them on the roster aside from him. Give us another weapon in our arsenal and another guy we can use for small line ups.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/wp/2014/12/29/wizards-have-successfully-replaced-trevor-ariza/?postshare=3141419884930095

Wizards have successfully replaced Trevor Ariza

“At the end of the day, we have Paul Pierce,” center Marcin Gortat said recently. “Trevor Ariza, Paul Pierce. There’s a difference, a huge difference. Defensively, if they’re not the same, [Pierce] might be a little weaker defender, but offensively he makes up three times for Trevor Ariza. He can handle the ball, you can throw him the ball in iso[lation], he can shoot the ball, he can pass, he can play pick and roll, he can post up. You’re talking about one of the greatest guys in the league. You can’t compare those two.”

Butler’s emergence, in particular, has been startling. He has provided the corner three-point shooting Ariza did, but with better accuracy. He is tied for second in the league in three-point percentage (50 percent) and is third in catch-and-shoot three-point percentage (53.5 percent) among players who average at least one catch-and-shoot shot per game and have played 20 games this season. Ariza shot 40.7 percent from three last season, a career high.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'm sure Ariza is happy where he is and doesn't think he's the offensive player Pierce is. But Gortat better bring his A game tonight, that ridiculous defensive front court isn't going to make anything easy.

Ariza, Smith, and Howard is as good a defensive front court as there is in the nba.

Edited by Destino

Did they not expect the equipment pregame? Or perhaps the rim bent in warmups..

Zach Lowe

‏@ZachLowe_NBA

In DAL@WAS earlier this year, Dirk alerted Wiz 1 rim might be a tad off. Why? He was missing too many warmup Js. They checked, he was right

Zach Lowe

‏@ZachLowe_NBA

They had a guy bring out a ladder and a tape measure and everything. And of course Dirk was correct about the rim being off. So funny.

Zach Lowe

‏@ZachLowe_NBA

In DAL@WAS earlier this year, Dirk alerted Wiz 1 rim might be a tad off. Why? He was missing too many warmup Js. They checked, he was right

Zach Lowe

‏@ZachLowe_NBA

They had a guy bring out a ladder and a tape measure and everything. And of course Dirk was correct about the rim being off. So funny.

IIRC he shot terribly that game anyway.