Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ramsfan's report! (it's long)

ramsfan09

Hello Redskins fans! As you all know, this is the third year in a row we're meeting up! Clearly the schedule makers are trying to parlay these marquee matchups into a great rivalry.

Anyway, on to the Rams!

QB: Obviously we have Sam Bradford now, who is in my opinion already a large step up from the trio of Marc Bulger/Kyle Boller/Kieth Null that started last year. Against the Raiders he had a pretty darn good game for a rookie and put up an 86.6 QB rating and with that we've already tied the 2009 Rams for QB-ratings-over-80 in a single game!

Sam set the rookie record for completions in week 1, but he also set the record for attempts (I think it was 57?). Clearly the coaching staff trusts him, some may be expecting them to just rush the ball 45 times since we have a rookie QB but that's not the case. Obviously the tempo will be set in any individual games, but he's not being held with kid gloves. They're even letting him audible as he pleases and run a no huddle.

Although it's probably boring to 99% of non-Rams fans, for those that are truly football obsessed and interested in the Rams offensive breakdown, here is an excel chart and spreadsheet:

http://pstoragestart2.divshare.com/launch.php?f=12604992&s=489

He makes rookie mistakes but he also seems to learn from them. He's only thrown one stupid INT, but his mistakes last game had nothing to do with throwing the ball; it was holding onto it. He ran himself into one sack about 15 yards behind the LOS, should have just thrown it away. The defense also got a coverage sack on him as he just held onto the ball for waaay too long.

WR: A weak group overall. Clayton has been outstanding but I'm kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop with him. Avery got hurt. Robinson hasn't had a good start to the season. Amendola is a nice possession guy. Rookie Mardy Gilyard hasn't seen any time really but i expect that to change on Sunday because of Robinson's poor play.

TE: Unfortunately our top 2 TEs, Hoomanawanui and Fells are both out with injury and Bradford seemed to really have a chemistry developing with both. Rookie Fendi Onobun will start. He is insanely athletic but very very raw. No clue who the TE2 will be

OL: They've played very well so far, from the first preseason game on. Injuries have been the Rams problem in past two years. There is a lot of young talent on the line (2009 #2 overall OT, 2010 #33 overall OT, center Jason Brown), but the guard aren't good. LG Jacob Bell is just OK and extremely overpaid. RB Adam Goldberg is below average.

RB: Well you all know Jackson I'm sure. Our backup RBs are complete trash though and probably the worst in the NFL.

Defense: The Rams will get pressure even if Spagnuolo has to rush 11 players and then come on to the field himself to sack McNab. That's a bit of an exaggeration, but the Rams will scheme up pressure regardless of if the front 4 is getting pressure by themselves or not. Of course, that leaves us open to getting beat on man coverage. Overall the defense is big and strong but very prone to getting beat by speed, it is not a fast defense. Runs to the outside with speed backs kill us and trying to match up one of our slower LBers with a WR or TE usually doesn't turn out too well. They are very opportunistic, interceptions and forced fumbles have been their forte.

It's kind of funny that Spagnuolo's defense is the polar opposite of Jim Haslett's. Steve dials up the pressure every single play and Jim seemed to let his coverage schemes do the work more often then not. Also Jim loved the smaller speedy guys and Steve loves the strong slower guys. Power vs Finesse. Big physical press corners vs smaller pure coverage corners. I'm babbling here so let's move on!

DE: Chris Long moves over to his natural right side this year. He is usually double teamed and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Redskins do it too. Although some of that is a disrespect for our DTs. James Hall, under-rated veteran, is at the LDE.

DT: Veteran Fred Robbins is a starter and has been solid so far. The other starter, Clifton Ryan, may be inactive. He was out last week with a migraine and did not practice on Wednesday. They are big bodies meant to take up space/blockers more then anything else and they do a good job at it.

CB: Rob Bartell is a nice CB. His stats from last year won't show it but he was battling a hamstring injury then. On the other side is Bradley Fletcher, a second year man who is really a rookie since he was on the IR all of last year. He has been picked on in the first two games and has done well. Justin King has been a weak point.

FS: I think the Redskins were rumored to be interested in Atogwe so I won't really go into a ton of detail except to say that watch when Atogwe tackles somebody, he is always trying to force fumbles and usually gets a great deal of them every year.

SS: James Butler will start the game. Unfortunately, he's slightly below average and has been injured since before the preseason even started, this will be his first game back. He will be a weak spot.

LBer: MLB James Lauranaitis has been great so far, he's very smart and aggressive. Larry Grant and Na'il Diggs, the normal starters, have been injured but may come back for this game. Not really sure yet until the inactive list comes out. Those two have been a fairly good addition for the team.

First off: Your sig needs work... You misspelled Redskins...

I appreciate your input, don't worry about us getting to the corner on running plays... We don't have a back that fits that...

Although I think your assessment on our defense is a bit conservative. We do dial up the pressure (especially comparing to the recent past), Orakpo is showing that he can be a perennial pro bowler and as he put "I'm mad they held me, they took away 3 sacks from me" They: being Dallas.

Hopefully Trent Williams will be able to go, he's been solid so far with just a couple mistakes, although going against Demarcus Ware and Mario Williams in his first 2 games, might have magnified the mistakes a bit more. If not, make sure you pay your fare while going through the turnstile that is Stephon Heyer...

Really? Did you miss that USA Today poll from 2009? Top 5 sports rivalries:

1. Yankees-Red Sox

2. Michigan-Ohio St.

3. Redskins-Rams

4. Lakers-Celtics

5. UNC-Duke

Pretty sure they had our rivalry above Michigan-Ohio, close second to yanks-sox.

But ramsfan regardless of what has happened in the past, this is a brand new skins team. Welcome to the NFL bradford :evilg:

gg :point2sky

It's kind of funny that Spagnuolo's defense is the polar opposite of Jim Haslett's. Steve dials up the pressure every single play and Jim seemed to let his coverage schemes do the work more often then not. Also Jim loved the smaller speedy guys and Steve loves the strong slower guys. Power vs Finesse. Big physical press corners vs smaller pure coverage corners. I'm babbling here so let's move on!

That's interesting. Since Haslett's been here (only two games) he's been dialing up pressure with a lot of exotic blitz packages and some very aggressive looks, which unfortunately has been taken advantage of for some big plays. So Haslett ran a fairly conservative scheme in St. Louis? Maybe it's just that all scheme's look aggressive to Skins fans after watching Blache's defense the last few years. He'd always sit the corners 15 yards off the line of scrimmage and I swear he gave the other teams wide receivers a lollipop and a pinwheel each time they caught a pass.

That's interesting. Since Haslett's been here (only two games) he's been dialing up pressure with a lot of exotic blitz packages and some very aggressive looks, which unfortunately has been taken advantage of for some big plays. So Haslett ran a fairly conservative scheme in St. Louis? Maybe it's just that all scheme's look aggressive to Skins fans after watching Blache's defense the last few years. He'd always sit the corners 15 yards off the line of scrimmage and I swear he gave the other teams wide receivers a lollipop and a pinwheel each time they caught a pass.

Not really comparable anyways. He ran the 4-3 in St. Louis. It's by definition a less aggressive defense. The 3-4 is a much more aggressive D with tons of pressure schemes.

well...i cant call rams a rival no matter what anyone says. I cant see i see any rams hatred going on here, and i have no reason to dislike them. I cant think of any heated matchups we've ever had, they arent in our division, so no competition there. I dont see the hard hits going on that go on in cowboys redskins games in a rams game. i really dont get whoever made that poll

Bro don't bring that coolaid this way. We've been drinking our own for years, and can recognize when it's spiked.

It's kind of funny that Spagnuolo's defense is the polar opposite of Jim Haslett's. Steve dials up the pressure every single play and Jim seemed to let his coverage schemes do the work more often then not. Also Jim loved the smaller speedy guys and Steve loves the strong slower guys. Power vs Finesse. Big physical press corners vs smaller pure coverage corners.

Really? REALLY? I mean I guess I was watching a different Cowboys game, but I thought I saw Has send MORE CORNERBACK BLITZES THAN HOMO HAD EVER SEEN??? I'd kill for a 'pure coverage corner'. Also, name one small speedy guy we have on Defense? No really, I'll wait.

Sorry, no vacancy. This board is full enough with homers and ignorant opinions. Myself included.

In your title you said the report was long.

I can make sum the whole thing up with just two words: We suck.

:silly:

Just kidding. I'm really ready for Sunday. Anxious to see if the Redskins team that plays up and down to their competition shows up, or if the new era means we'll actually pound the bad teams for once. I hope for a 31-10 game. :)

Pretty sure the rams have not had a "marquee" game since Warner left. I don't know why we keep playing you guys but hey lets do the thing.

A division plays 14 of the same teams. Obviously they all play 6 within the division, then they play an NFC conference (4) and an AFC conference (4). This makes up for 14 games. The other two games are based on where you finished within your division. For example, this year we play the NFC North, our division, AFC South and the last place teams in both the NFC South (Bucs) and NFC West (Rams). Dallas plays the first place finishers in NFC South (Falcons) NFC West (Cards).

Archived