Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Denver Broncos RT Tyler Polumbus released

haider61

I would say we should sign him for depth, but we are at the 80, so someone would have to be released.

Also noticed the Broncos released Akin Ayodele, LB.

Anybody know anything about him ???

Ayodele was a 4-3 LB that played for the Jags that converted to a 3-4 when he played for Dallas and Miami. If the LB starved Broncos cut him, then he must have nothing left in the tank.

I'm not saying that he wouldn't be helpful but let's not come to a conclusion that he's starting material. All I was saying is that he's a 2nd string talent and a scheme player. He falls into the Kory Lichtensteiger catagory; knows the system, good to have as depth but it would take an injury for him to start.

I don't know that anyone said he was starting material, but he'd probably look pretty good compared to our current depth at tackle (Heyer, Robinson, Capers...).

If he can backup both left and right sides effectively we're more likely to have room to hold on to a development guy like Capers. We're likely going to see a backup play in place of Brown at some point, I highly doubt we get 16 games out of him. Nobody has really made a case to be the primary backup RT/LT yet.

Seems unlikely. He would have little chance to play except maybe in the second half of the last preseason game. The season starts in two weeks guys. This is not like adding a 4th RB or a special teams player. Maybe keep him in mind if someone gets injured at some point this season. But there has already been enough change on this oline for one year. You have to have some continuity, and all the players on our oline have been here and working together all offseason.

As surprising as it is to say this, I really don't think we need to pick up another team's scraps on the oline anymore. For all the (mostly) deserved criticism Heyer gets on this site, he has looked better this offseason, and he looks pretty good to me as the #4 option at tackle, rather than a de facto starter.

I'm all for bringing him in. While the starters on the OL should be much improved from last year, there's still questions on depth. He has the experience with Shanny's schemes. Especially with BMW out, now if Hicks is the 3rd tackle to rotate in with injury, then that puts additional pressure on the rest of the depth at G/T.

Ayodele was a 4-3 LB that played for the Jags that converted to a 3-4 when he played for Dallas and Miami. If the LB starved Broncos cut him, then he must have nothing left in the tank.

Thanks for the info.

Who do we cut?

Daryl Young LB

Edwin Williams G

Darrion Scott DE

Anderson Russell DB

Ramzee Robinson DB

Logan Paulsen TE

Shay Hodge WR

Howard Green DT

James Dearth TE

Carey Davis RB

Tyrone Carter DB

Eric Cook C

Anthony Bryant DT

Any of the above, they probally wont survive the first cut anyway.

As surprising as it is to say this, I really don't think we need to pick up another team's scraps on the oline anymore. For all the (mostly) deserved criticism Heyer gets on this site, he has looked better this offseason, and he looks pretty good to me as the #4 option at tackle, rather than a de facto starter.

I agree. I think the ZBS fits Heyer pretty good. He hasn't looked great, but he hasn't looked terrible like he did last year.

Who do we cut?

How about one of the long snappers? I think we've still got two of them at this point.

I wouldn't be sad to see one go.

Bring this guy in, we aren't the deepest OL and anybody that can provide solid depth can improve our team. So, why not bring in some more competition and give him a look compared with what we've already got.

To the Akin Ayodele question, I agree with Oldskool, we don't need another 245 pound LB. He'd play in the middle, and currently, I think we're pretty set there.

The Redskins backup OL scare the hell out of me.

This guy may not be starter material with Williams and Brown aboard, but he could be a strong #3 tackle.

In my mind the Redskins are never going to progress depending upon Heyer as the savior off the bench.

He is going into his fourth season in the NFL and still looks like some rookies.

Where is the improvement in his game?

Thank goodness. Polumbus started eight games last season at right tackle, and was an absolute nightmare. His release creates room for Ryan Clady.

Source: Denver Post

I'm not trying to say Polumbus sucks because I know nothing about him but this quote made me think about how other teams fans perceive newly released players.

I mean imagine if we released Heyer, couldn't you see some Bills forum being like "well Joe Bugel brought the kid in undrafted and gave him alot of praise so he must be good" and "the kid has started a fair amount of games..." or "he was on the line when they had a top 15 rushing attack".

Its one of those things where someone can sound good on paper but who knows, if he's going to be the next big thing or the Stephon Heyer of the broncos? Its funny how as a fan of our team I always look at these players with optimism.

The Redskins backup OL scare the hell out of me.

This guy may not be starter material with Williams and Brown aboard, but he could be a strong #3 tackle.

In my mind the Redskins are never going to progress depending upon Heyer as the savior off the bench.

He is going into his fourth season in the NFL and still looks like some rookies.

Where is the improvement in his game?

Agree with this 110%. We have some serious depth concerns at tackle and if Polumbus can beat out Heyer or Robinson I'd feel much better about our depth.

His profile from the draft explains when he's a zone blocking type player, but it sounds like he's anything but a sure bet.

From: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/1615899

Analysis

Positives: Needs to add much more bulk to his frame, but he has the room to carry at least another 20 pounds … Not really a physical blocker, but plays with good effort and stays on the play until the whistle … Shows good initial quickness off the snap and has the feet to gain position … Does a good job reading defensive coverage and is aware of his block point … More of a position or wall-off type of blocker, but has the long arms to keep defenders off his body (needs to use them with better consistency) … Decent short-area push to widen rush lanes … Has the ability to make the chip block and stalk second-level defenders on short traps and pulls … Has adequate ability to slide and mirror working in-line (struggles with edge rushers) … Has the ease of movement out of his stance to attack defensive linemen, understanding concepts and position and taking good angles for the outside running game.

Negatives: Has underdeveloped upper- and lower-body muscles and needs to add more bulk to compete at the next level as a left offensive tackle … More of a finesse-type blocker and could use a mauler's mentality in his game … Does not have the agility to slide out and handle speed rushers and must develop a stronger hand punch to shock the defender on initial contact … Must show more urgency in his play (at times, he just seems to go through the motions) … Has good weight-room strength, but needs to use it on the field and play with better physicality … Started to develop a better work ethic as a senior, but he needed a push earlier in his career … Does not have the quickness to recover and re-adjust when he overextends on a play … Lacks the strength to generate much movement off the snap … A bit stiff in his hips, which causes him to look sluggish trying to adjust to edge rushers … Has good hand placement, but little power behind his arm swipes or punch … Lacks ideal knee bend (when he bends at the waist, he struggles to change direction) … Gets too high in his stance to lock on tight to a defender's jersey to drive the defender off the ball … Has just an adequate anchor and will get pushed back into the pocket by a strong bull rush … Has had shoulder issues in the past that might warrant further medical review.

Compares To: MARCUS JOHNSON-Minnesota … Polumbus' inability to keep his pads down and style of play might be a better fit at right tackle. He has decent weight-room strength, but it is rare to see it translate to the field. He shows a weak hand punch but has good initial quickness off the snap. Polumbus must add more bulk to his lanky frame, but also needs to start showing some aggression in his game.

I'm not trying to say Polumbus sucks because I know nothing about him but this quote made me think about how other teams fans perceive newly released players.

I mean imagine if we released Heyer, couldn't you see some Bills forum being like "well Joe Bugel brought the kid in undrafted and gave him alot of praise so he must be good" and "the kid has started a fair amount of games..." or "he was on the line when they had a top 15 rushing attack".

Its one of those things where someone can sound good on paper but who knows, if he's going to be the next big thing or the Stephon Heyer of the broncos? Its funny how as a fan of our team I always look at these players with optimism.

I think the reason for excitement in this case is that he was signed by Shanahan who has a history of developing late round/undrafted guys into effective starters in his scheme.

Archived