Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Denver Broncos RT Tyler Polumbus released

haider61

From ESPN Insider:

The Denver Broncos chose to waive right tackle Tyler Polumbus on Tuesday, per Mike Klis of the Denver Post, and now he'll have to venture into the uncharted waters of playing competitive football for a team that doesn't call the state of Colorado home.

According to Klis, the Broncos' new power-blocking scheme was not a match for Polumbus, who seems more of a fit in a zone-blocking scheme. Therefore, Klis opines that the Washington Redskins, Houston Texans, Seattle Seahawks or Oakland Raiders could be a fit. Former NFL lineman and current Sports Illustrated scribe Ross Tucker thinks that the Dallas Cowboys or Pittsburgh Steelers might also show some interest. While everyone's in speculative mode, we'll go ahead and throw the Buffalo Bills in the mix, given their massive need on the bookends.

Better than Stephon Heyer for sure.

If he's good and the Shanny's like him, pick him up. See what he's got the next couple of games, see if he's a competent backup and can replace Heyer (there would be much rejoicing here over that). In the preseason, it can't hurt to take a look at a guy who supposedly fits the scheme you're running.

yeah I heard this guy on the local Denver radio yesterday after he was released, seems like a humble good guy, and he can play both on the left and right side. I say we sign him.

Looks like he has starting experience also. Ironically, this was in Shanny's last year in Denver.

Polumbus started eight games at right tackle in 2008 in place of Ryan Harris, and started training camp with the first-team offense at left tackle in place of Ryan Clady.

Tyler Polumbus - T Aug. 24 - 4:29 pm et

Broncos waived OT Tyler Polumbus.

Thank goodness. Polumbus started eight games last season at right tackle, and was an absolute nightmare. His release creates room for Ryan Clady.

Source: Denver Post

Well when you have a Zone Block player trying to fit into a Power Run scheme, it's not always going to be a good fit.

Especially if you're going to be a power running team that doesn't actually run the ball. Good job Head Coach Frat Boy.

Well when you have a Zone Block player trying to fit into a Power Run scheme, it's not always going to be a good fit.

Especially if you're going to be a power running team that doesn't actually run the ball. Good job Head Coach Frat Boy.

Didn't seem to hinder Clady much. When it comes down to it, a scheme player is a less attractive option that a player that can flat out play no matter what is asked of him.

Didn't seem to hinder Clady much. When it comes down to it, a scheme player is a less attractive option that a player that can flat out play no matter what is asked of him.

Clady is an elite (if not damn close to it) talent. Sort of an unfair comparison, imo. Sure it would be nice to have a guy who could be more versatile, but if he's got good ability in the ZBS I don't see what's bad about bringing him in as depth, considering the dearth of depth we have at the tackle position.

No argument from me on that. But given that not every position on a team can be fill with an All-Star. Especially depth guys. Sometimes backups are more valuable because they're good at 1 or 2 specific things that can give them an edge on a given team. Polumbus might not be a starter on all teams, but he might prove to be a valuable backup on a ZBS team.

Again, might as well give a couple of guys like him a shot during the preseason. Like 3/4 Lineman and LBs, finding a niche guy to fill in for a couple of transition years might not be the worst idea in the world.

Clady is an elite (if not damn close to it) talent. Sort of an unfair comparison, imo. Sure it would be nice to have a guy who could be more versatile, but if he's got good ability in the ZBS I don't see what's bad about bringing him in as depth, considering the dearth of depth we have at the tackle position.

I'm not saying that he wouldn't be helpful but let's not come to a conclusion that he's starting material. All I was saying is that he's a 2nd string talent and a scheme player. He falls into the Kory Lichtensteiger catagory; knows the system, good to have as depth but it would take an injury for him to start.

I'm not saying that he wouldn't be helpful but let's not come to a conclusion that he's starting material. All I was saying is that he's a 2nd string talent and a scheme player. He falls into the Kory Lichtensteiger catagory; knows the system, good to have as depth but it would take an injury for him to start.

Fair enough. I forgot this is Extremeskins where people think that the guy who was just cut is going to be an all-pro for us, so you're probably right to temper expectations. :ols:

Archived