Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Zack Bolno, executive director of communications, fired

DixieFlatline

Redskins' executive director of communications fired

Zack Bolno, the Redskins' executive director of communications the past two seasons, confirmed Sunday that the team fired him.

"I've enjoyed my two-plus seasons with the Redskins organization,"

Bolno said in a phone interview. "I worked with some wonderful people and we shared some great experiences and challenges. I would like to thank my loyal, dedicated and supportive staff and wish them the very best."

Bolno declined to provide details of the reasoning behind the move, saying he would let the Redskins answer those questions.

Contacted on his cell phone, Tony Wyllie, senior vice president, would only confirm Bolno no longer is with the organization, saying the team does not discuss personnel matters. Wyllie joined the organization in May.

Formerly a vice president with the Houston Texans, Wyllie has retained Michael Pehanich and Matt Taylor from Bolno's staff, and he recently promoted Taylor. It is not known whether the Redskins plan to hire someone to replace Bolno.

Bolno, formerly the Wizards' director of communications, performed his usual duties in the press box Saturday night during a 23-3 loss to the Baltimore Ravens at FedEx Field. Bolno's tenure with the organization coincided with that of former coach Jim Zorn, who went 12-20 and was fired at the end of the 2009 season.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/redskins-executive-director-of.html

They won't say why, but given the timing, you have to wonder if any of this stems from the Haynesworth situation.

I would put money on it being about the Haynesworth medical debacle stuff.

My bet: He was an anonymous source confirming this story:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/albert-haynesworth/rhabdomyolysis-sidelined-hayne.html

Fired for leaking / insubordination. Tony Wyllie had no comment for that story, but his subordinate may have been the inside confirmation.

If so, good firing.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/redskins-executive-director-of.html

They won't say why, but given the timing, you have to wonder if any of this stems from the Haynesworth situation.

Huh??

And pray tell, what in the heck would the director of communications have to do with a defensive tackle?

It's not like he scouted him, negotiated a contract with him, or designed a game plan to use him.

The director of communications was responsible for the press releases, annual reports, op-ed pieces, advertisements and speeches. They also would interface with both local and national media as well as overseeing the organizations footing with social media trends.

And soooo many of the Redskins media reporters were disappointed per twitter today...I for one am glad they are unhappy. The Washington sport media have become a part of the Haynesworth problem.

Not just that, but national media (Peter King for one) as well. So we are all going to hear a lot of stories about how great he was, when what is going unsaid is that this regime is not going to tolerate leaks out of Ashburn. So for as great a guy as Bolno was, he had to go as the front office top to bottom is getting remade.

Oh, ok. But clearly a lot of precedents are being set this week, on and off the field. Shanahan is flexing his muscles.

No doubt about is Tris, it's good to see a new team out there who actually wants to be out there and they have passion for the game. Perfect example was Devin Thomas last night, the team was getting blown out and he was going to return the kickoff. Instead of just kneeling, he took the ball out with a full head of steam and got a decent return. That to me says that man wants to play football and be one of the best and the catch he made in the 2nd quarter to help set up the field goal attempt was a great effort and an even greater job holding onto the ball. Those are the guys we need and Shanahan is making sure no matter what he has the best everywhere. Even if that means areas which he has no real control he probably listens to Wylie and said that we should go ahead and make a move there

Huh??

And pray tell, what in the heck would the director of communications have to do with a defensive tackle?

It's not like he scouted him, negotiated a contract with him, or designed a game plan to use him.

The director of communications was responsible for the press releases, annual reports, op-ed pieces, advertisements and speeches. They also would interface with both local and national media as well as overseeing the organizations footing with social media trends.

He was in charge of PR. It's not a great leap to think the powers to be had an issue with something that happened with the media in this latest Haynesworth episode. I'm not saying it was the cause and I hope it was for something more than that, but the timing makes it suspect.

No doubt about is Tris, it's good to see a new team out there who actually wants to be out there and they have passion for the game.

The long term benefit of the melodrama we are seeing play out can not be stated enough. No one said fixing what had been done to ever facet of this franchise was going to be easy, and it is sad to see that every bump in the road that might hurt us in the short term is met with such skepticism from fans.

People need to start trying to see forest for the trees.

Archived