Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Zack Bolno, executive director of communications, fired

DixieFlatline

Zack was first-class all the way. This probably had nothing to do with anything going on, other than Shanahan wants his people in the job. Hate to see it, but that is the way it goes. Gibbs brought his guy, who left with him. Zack came with Zorn, and now is going.

As for the kind words being said about Zack, they are well deserved.

Zack was first-class all the way. This probably had nothing to do with anything going on, other than Shanahan wants his people in the job. Hate to see it, but that is the way it goes. Gibbs brought his guy, who left with him. Zack came with Zorn, and now is going.

As for the kind words being said about Zack, they were well deserved.

I hope that's the case because he sure is getting a lot of kind words through all the tweets I've seen.

As for the kind words being said about Zack, they were well deserved.

A firing is more than a changing of the guard.

JimmiJo, you would know: is it fair to say that Zack Bolno was the anonymous source for stories written by you or others in the media?

Have you noticed any change from team officials this year with regard to the frequency of leaks or sourcing on background?

A firing is more than a changing of the guard.

JimmiJo, you would know: is it fair to say that Zack Bolno was the anonymous source for stories written by you or others in the media?

Have you noticed any change from team officials this year with regard to the frequency of leaks or sourcing on background?

For me, the notion of Zack being a source for leaks is completely preposterous. Zack is a stand-up guy and a complete professional.

For me, the notion of Zack being a source for leaks is completely preposterous. Zack is a stand-up guy and a complete professional.

OK, I get that you like him, and plenty of the media do. Obviously the people who matter above him have found something not to like.

The word "leak" has obvious negative connotations. Let me rephrase. My questions again are:

1. To your knowledge, was Zack Bolno was an anonymous source to the media?
  2. Have you seen a change with the new regime, reducing the frequency of anonymous sourcing by team communications officials for media stories?

The nature of the job is communication. Anonymous sourcing is one tool in the arsenal, and plenty of "stand-up" "complete professional" folks make use of anonymous sourcing. It's a technique for communicating without blowback, for steering the media and keeping journalists happy, without leaving a lot of fingerprints.

I've noticed that the team is doing a lot less anonymous sourcing, in the change from Cerrato to Allen. Less known is the Tony Wyllie side of the house. You are in a better position to see those changes. If there is a philosophical change in the handling of team communications, what might that be?

Well, someone's doing it, and the timing of his dismissal makes it easy to see why someone might make that connection.

I can't help what dumbasses will believe. All I can do is share something about someone I've known for a few years, have been around and observed, and will vouch for as a great guy.

Take for what it's worth, or reject it. All I know is if I wanted to know something, I would ask someone who knew something about it. Then, I would either accept it or reject what they told me.

What I would not do is assert something contrary to what the person told me as if I had knowledge.

I can't help what dumbasses will believe. All I can do is share something about someone I've known for a few years, have been around and observed, and will vouch for as a great guy.

Take for what it's worth, or reject it. All I know is if I wanted to know something, I would ask someone who knew something about it. Then, I would either accept it or reject what they told me.

What I would not do is assert something contrary to what the person told me as if I had knowledge.

Personally, I would not jump to conclusions about the guy that his firing had anything to do with AH.

When someone like you (ie. someone who obviously has more insight into the situation than most anyone else on this board) says it would seem "preposterous" and then "vouch" for the guy I would be inclined to say "yea, guy probably got fired for something unrelated to leaks".

But I find it strange that you would call out specific posters as "dumbasses" if they choose to make the connection.

I re-read the post and as I read it now maybe you weren't calling a "specific poster" a dumbass. If not I apologize for misreading your post Jimmijo. I LOVE your work and I am not looking to start crap with anyone on here. Of all of the rules that I see enforced on ES however, the one about personal attacks or namecalling makes the most sense to me however. Again, if I mis-read your post. My apologies.

I never met Zack Bolno. But anyone who just assumes a connection between him and the AH story because it comes out the same weekend is just using sloppy and lazy thinking.

Making up a connection so you can sound smart when you have absolutely no proof only makes that person a step below Florio on PFT.

I've said it before so let me say it again. Posting every single random thought, no matter how stupid or dumbass it may be, does not contribute to the ExtremeSkins community.

You got facts...post it; you got a valid opinion....post it; you want to make **** up and start rumors, go post on Florio's site where he specializes in starting BS rumors. :mad:

I never met Zack Bolno. But anyone who just assumes a connection between him and the AH story because it comes out the same weekend is just using sloppy and lazy thinking.

Nice straw-man argument.

Let's get to the facts.

1. Jason La Canfora broke the Haynesworth rhabdomyolysis story on NFL.com at 12:56pm Sunday. The story was based on a "league source."
  2. Jason Reid (Washington Post / Redskins Insider) reported at 1:40pm Sunday that Zack Bolno had been fired.
  3. Reid reported at 2:22pm Sunday Haynesworth had rhabdomyolysis, according to "three people familiar with the situation." Reid also reported that Tony Wyllie, Bolno's boss, said that the team would have no comment on Sunday.
  4. At 12:03am Monday, Reid shared byline with Rick Maese on a major Washington Post story expanding on the rhabdomyolysis story. The new story claimed "team sources" as the source, but also stated again that Tony Wyllie said that the team would have no comment.

In summary:

• Zack Bolno was fired less than an hour after the story broke
  • Bolno's boss said that the team would not comment on the Haynesworth story
  • The Washington Post claims "team sources" for the story.

If that weren't enough, apparently all of sports media have now lined up to kiss Zack Bolno's ass.

Connect the dots.

I'll concede for the sake of argument that Zack Bolno is a standup, class guy, among the best in the business at what he does, and a great guy as a person. (Paraphrasing the media's take) But if he is the source of leaks against the interest of the team, with people like Jason La Canfora and Jason Reid, then he is the Vinny Cerrato of Redskins communications, and it's good for the team to move on. Firing him abrupty sends all the right messages to all the right people, inside and outside the team.

The interest of the media is scandal. Sports media types and particularly hacks like La Canfora and Reid have about as much common interest with the welfare of the Redskins as the Cowboys do. I trust their praise for a Redskins PR rep with about as much weight as Jerry Jones's praise for Cerrato's IQ and strategic vision.

My two cents.

Nice straw-man argument.

Let's get to the facts.

1. Jason La Canfora broke the Haynesworth rhabdomyolysis story on NFL.com at 12:56pm Sunday. The story was based on a "league source."
  2. Jason Reid (Washington Post / Redskins Insider) reported at 1:40pm Sunday that Zack Bolno had been fired.
  3. Reid reported at 2:22pm Sunday Haynesworth had rhabdomyolysis, according to "three people familiar with the situation." Reid also reported that Tony Wyllie, Bolno's boss, said that the team would have no comment on Sunday.
  4. At 12:03am Monday, Reid shared byline with Rick Maese on a major Washington Post story expanding on the rhabdomyolysis story. The new story claimed "team sources" as the source, but also stated again that Tony Wyllie said that the team would have no comment.

In summary:

If that weren't enough, apparently all of sports media have now lined up to kiss Zack Bolno's ass.

Connect the dots.

I'll concede for the sake of argument that Zack Bolno is a standup, class guy, among the best in the business at what he does, and a great guy as a person. (Paraphrasing the media's take) But if he is the source of leaks against the interest of the team, with people like Jason La Canfora and Jason Reid, then he is the Vinny Cerrato of Redskins communications, and it's good for the team to move on. Firing him abrupty sends all the right messages to all the right people, inside and outside the team.

The interest of the media is scandal. Sports media types and particularly hacks like La Canfora and Reid have about as much common interest with the welfare of the Redskins as the Cowboys do. I trust their praise for a Redskins PR rep with about as much weight as Jerry Jones's praise for Cerrato's IQ and strategic vision.

My two cents.

Agreed, but whether he is the source or not is irrelevant. It is ultimately his responsibility for managing communications, and he failed in those responsibilities. Hence the current media circus.

Agreed, but whether he is the source or not is irrelevant. It is ultimately his responsibility for managing communications, and he failed in those responsibilities. Hence the current media circus.

Right, and in particular this story has the potential to undermine Mike Shanahan's credibility by appearing to support Haynesworth's side of the dispute, on the issue whether his absence from practice was justified. Even if the rhabdomyolysis diagnosis is true (at this point it's disputed), it's relevant mainly by forcing Shanahan into one of two uncomfortable positions: (1) being unaware of Haynesworth's medical condition, or (2) knowingly misstating Haynesworth's medical condition.

So, that's a personal shot at Shanahan, and the speed of the firing suggests to me that it came from Shanahan. Shanahan is probably the only team official with the authority and willpower (at this time) to fire a senior official on a Sunday with less than an hour's notice.

Further, Shanahan was probably alerted to the situation when he was asked by La Canfora or Reid to comment on the "story" while it was still in development on Sunday. (Or possibly Tony Wyllie was similarly alerted.) While La Canfora typed up his story, Shanahan was already in motion toward firing Bolno.

This is speculation on my part, but not wild speculation. Zack Bolno worked the game Saturday night, and then was fired less than an hour after the story broke, midday Sunday. This is not an ordinary changing of the guard. It's a shot from Zeus. A very pissed off Zeus.

Nice straw-man argument.

Let's get to the facts.

In summary:

Connect the dots.

My two cents.

Total GARBAGE analysis. The problem with all your "facts" is that NONE of them CONNECT to Zack Bolno's firing. Where is the link?

Just because the stock market goes up $200 billion and my paycheck was deposited in my account the same day does not mean $200 billion was deposited in my bank account.

You connect dots that had absolutely NO connecting information other than they happened in close proximity to one another.

Glad you do not solve crimes for a living. Total fail on your part for jumping to the conclusion that the firing of Bolno and the AH remarks are connected.

Oh...the WP reporter Rick Maese tweeted that there was NO CONNECTION between the Bolno firing and the Haynsworth stuff. PROOF your connecting the dots was a total fabrication of your imagination.

You made up a huge rumor based on no facts at all. You should apologize....not be defending a sorry ass rationalization.

This is speculation on my part, but not wild speculation. Zack Bolno worked the game Saturday night, and then was fired less than an hour after the story broke, midday Sunday. This is not an ordinary changing of the guard. It's a shot from Zeus. A very pissed off Zeus.

Just because you make **** up does not mean it is true. NOTHING in your post is based on factual connections to the Bolno firing. You even admit it "is speculation on my part".

Just because you make **** up does not mean it is true.

To be fair, just because you say it is "not true" does not mean it is "not true".

It cuts both ways.

Regardless, do you concede that someone high up in the organization was upset enough with something Bolno did to warrant firing such a universally beloved individual? I think it is fair to assume that he did something that is highly frowned upon by the new regime, and he was summarily fired. That doesn't seem like a wild assumption to me.

Just because you make **** up does not mean it is true....
To be fair, just because you say it is "not true" does not mean it is "not true".

:wtf:

You just quoted SonnyandSam for something he did not say.

"does not mean it is true" means it could be true or it could be false.

"not true" means not true.

Come on, dude.

It cuts both ways.

Regardless, do you concede that someone high up in the organization was upset enough with something Bolno did to warrant firing such a universally beloved individual? I think it is fair to assume that he did something that is highly frowned upon by the new regime, and he was summarily fired. That doesn't seem like a wild assumption to me.

THAT is not the issue. I totally agree that Bolno likely did something serious to justify the firing. But to ASSUME it had to do with the Haynesworth issue is complete conjecture and has already been debunked by the Washington Post. To connect the two with no supporting information is a total fabrication and just plain rumor mongoring.

It's always enjoyable sitting back and watching people speak as if they know what they're talking about, when clearly they're clueless.

Zack Bolno is the type of guy who went off on media members for Twitter updates even mentioning a player getting up slowly after a play during practice. He's the guy who, on the first day of camp, when I saw someone named Torain wearing a No. 46 jersey and asked, "Is that Ryan Torain from the Broncos?" he refused to confirm it. He simply said, "You guys will have to ask the coaching staff after practice."

The notion that he'd be a guy leaking stories to anyone is something that would only be spread by people who have no knowledge on the subject.

It's always enjoyable sitting back and watching people speak as if they know what they're talking about, when clearly they're clueless.

Zack Bolno is the type of guy who went off on media members for Twitter updates even mentioning a player getting up slowly after a play during practice. He's the guy who, on the first day of camp, when I saw someone named Torain wearing a No. 46 jersey and asked, "Is that Ryan Torain from the Broncos?" he refused to confirm it. He simply said, "You guys will have to ask the coaching staff after practice."

The notion that he'd be a guy leaking stories to anyone is something that would only be spread by people who have no knowledge on the subject.

Facts:

1) He was fired

2) He was ultimately responsible for media communications

Does it matter if he's personally leaking anything or not? ultimately no, they happened under his watch and therefor he's responsible. Its that simple.

THAT is not the issue. I totally agree that Bolno likely did something serious to justify the firing. But to ASSUME it had to do with the Haynesworth issue is complete conjecture and has already been debunked by the Washington Post. To connect the two with no supporting information is a total fabrication and just plain rumor mongoring.

Gotcha. I agree that assume as fact what exactly caused the firing is crossing the line, but I am not sure why speculating about what caused it is a cardinal sin.

As far as the Post debunking the Haynesworth connection, did they cite a source, as all I have seen was Maese's twitter debunking it. Again, is it crazy to speculate about members of the media protecting their sources?

Facts:

1) He was fired

2) He was ultimately responsible for media communications

Does it matter if he's personally leaking anything or not? ultimately no, they happened under his watch and therefor he's responsible. Its that simple.

Actually, you are not correct. Tony Wyllie is the Senior Vice President for Communications. Why not fire him? Or why not fire Shanahan? Haynesworth plays for him, correct? Is Shanahan not responsible for his own players?

Why are people so narrow minded to assume the leaking of information around the Haynesworth story is linked to the firing of Bolno? How many times do I have to repeat that the Washington Post made a clear statement that the two stories are unrelated when unfounded rumors started to prolifigate on this web site?

I can think of dozens of reasons why an employee would be fired suddenly. And most of those would have nothing to do with communications.

Archived