Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Monte Coleman - I just can't figure it out

K.O. Johnny

Howdy all - been lurking for a long time, but decided to join just in time for the season

apologies if this has been discussed before, but I've not seen it

I've always felt Monte Coleman was very under recognised - at least by the rest of the league and could never figure it out

He was a good all round OLB with decent speed and size and he did come away with 3 (count 'em) rings

Am I wrong and just over-rating him cos he was a glory days skin or was he a truly a baller?

Big fan of Coleman myself. Every year they should bring him back before the first game, holding up his helmet like he did.

The thing about Coleman is he was a role player really. And a good role player is going to be loved by his home team, who sees him make plays 16 times a year, while people who only see him once or twice will ask why he's not a starter if he's so great.

Howdy all - been lurking for a long time, but decided to join just in time for the season

apologies if this has been discussed before, but I've not seen it

I've always felt Monte Coleman was very under recognised - at least by the rest of the league and could never figure it out

He was a good all round OLB with decent speed and size and he did come away with 3 (count 'em) rings

Am I wrong and just over-rating him cos he was a glory days skin or was he a truly a baller?

He was an iron man , and one of the all time great Redskins.He was also a nice guy ,saw him in a restaurant and he took time to talk. If he isn' on the ring of fame, he should be.

Coleman was awesome in coverage and if he had been a better player against the run would have been an HOF player. as it is he was a great redskin but not an HOF calibre player.

Well Mike Singletary made hawaii and the hof and his pass coverage was a joke - plus his assignment wasn't even sideline to sideline but inside the D-ends

I'm not saying he should have been all-pro every year, but he's kind of like the original London Fletcher, a very dependable player who never got the recognition he deserved despite coming up with the goods when needed. He was no LT, but he could cover, he could blitz, was healthy and smart

Don't recall him being a everydown starter. As Ryman suggests, I believe he was more of a situational LB in coverage packages.

Seems to me that he would also get dinged up just enough to keep him off of the elite list of LB's

I do remember his physique being highly regarded and his longevity is not in question.

Loved the way he played. On the all-time list of games played as a Redskin he is currently second with 217 behind only Darrell Green and his 56.5 sacks is fourth highest all time on the Redskins list. I don't remember ever hearing him complain about anything. Great team player.

I'll be wearing a #51 Coleman jersey in home white tonight. I'll be in section 101 bh the Skins bench.

I got the jersey bc I haven't ever seen anyone else sporting one. Great blue collar player of Gibbs 1.0.

I own one jersey. Coleman 51 in red. I plan to wear it until it falls apart.

He was my all time favorite skin from the 80's and 90's with Alvin Walton a close second

With you on that one 100% bro

Dang we had some studs back then - no ****ing, just bust some skulls football on both sides of the ball

Here's hoping Shanny brings it back to Washington

Archived