Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trent William vs Russell Okung

acuratl1984

I saw alittle of him in preseaon, they dont zone block as much in seattle but he looks solid. Alex Gibbs is the running game coordinator i think

If Alex Gibbs is in Seattle then they are Zone blocking as he was the OL coach in Denver under Shanahan.

If Alex Gibbs is in Seattle then they are Zone blocking as he was the OL coach in Denver under Shanahan.

don't get confused ... no coach zone blocks every play or even gameplans blocking schemes the same for every defensive front .... people mistake blocking schemes for what a offensive line is better equipped to execute (better example of what determines schemes play calling offensive coordinator looks at ... front 7, down and distance, game situation, yards needed, etc ...)

In all fairness man/zone blocking schemes on offense are like 3-4 and 4-3 defensive schemes in comparisons

Okung played well too...

To tell you the truth I wanted Okung over Trent but now I'm seeing what Shanny said about Trent being more athletic. Trent is just a better fit for the system shanny runs. Okung is just a prototypical LT.

If there was a difference I say Trent has better control and is a Heck of a lot quicker than Okung but really they both did a good job.

Ya, I remember you bad mouthing me prior to the draft when I suggested that the best one was Trent. What's great about Williams is that he is so laid back and not intimidated by the pressure of performing at a high level.

Early returns are good, but we shall see when he faces a talented DL. I do like the way he finishes plays off and does not quite blocking. HE stayed on his feet after pancaking guys and continued down the field. That is the guy with an attitude that is going to help this team.

As for Okung, I have never heard of the guy. LOL.

Okung - reminds me of Ogden (Ravens) not a guy who has the feet to consistantly get to the 2nd and 3rd levels but once he gets moving and gets his hands inside defenders hes so strong he destrories and finishes blocks with attitude. Game vs Titans okung did well on man blocking scheme and pass protection but zone blocking wasnt used alot due to Titans more athletic DL.

Willams - reminds me of Samuels (Skins) in his prime, great feet for ANY blocking scheme and gets moving with ease getting to 2nd and 3rd levels easy ... williams is a finisher and can lead block as good as anyone else on the roster.

I totally disagree with this assessment. Okung was rated as being very smooth and consistent, but lacks elite athleticism and footwork, and despite putting up a lot of reps of 225#, doesn't play with a lot of power or have q great punch. Okung reminds me a ton of Samuels, a consistent, high character guy who could make some probowls but is unlikely to ever be an All Pro caliber elite player.

Williams on the other hand, is and elite athlete. He is an explosive in line athlete with elite change of direction ability, a great anchor, and a much better punch. It is Trent, not Russell, who has the elite athletic ability to be an Ogden, Pace, or Walter Jones caliber tackle.

Before the draft, I was worried about Trent being too inconsistent, and lacking experience on the left side. I'm still not sure how the Sooners decided to play Williams on the right, and Phil Loadholt, as pure a natural right tackle as there could be, on the left.

Thus far however, Williams has been very mature and consistent, performing extremely well against Brian Orakpo in camp, and just destroying Aaron Maybin on Friday. Given what I've seen thus far from Trent, I would say that I was wrong to feel that we made a mistake in passing over Okung.

My favorite tackle in the class was Anthony Davis though. I'd be interested in comparing Williams to him over the course of the season. He'll be playing on a good, if inexperienced, 49ers line with Joe Staley and Mike Iupati, so he'll have some similar surround talent to work with. A problem with comparing the two though is Davis was drafted to play RT for them and probably won't have much of a chance at moving to the left side.

A. Davis looked bad against the colts, he doesn't use his hands to punch defenders and foot work is horrible. The guy is huge, the potential is there but his head isn't in the game, all the 49ers lineman are playing bad also ... maybe because its the colts defense ...

for the record trent is the best athlete at LT we drafted correct, I also believe russell is just as good just not as athletic.

I said before the draft, and this was not exactly a unique opinion, that Okung was a safe pick but would probably top out at the Tre Thomas, Chris Samuels level. I wanted a potential Hall of Famer and was willing to roll the dice on Trent Williams. So far the reviews look like they went the right way.

But we'll see in the opener.

I totally disagree with this assessment. Okung was rated as being very smooth and consistent, but lacks elite athleticism and footwork, and despite putting up a lot of reps of 225#, doesn't play with a lot of power or have q great punch. Okung reminds me a ton of Samuels, a consistent, high character guy who could make some probowls but is unlikely to ever be an All Pro caliber elite player.

Williams on the other hand, is and elite athlete. He is an explosive in line athlete with elite change of direction ability, a great anchor, and a much better punch. It is Trent, not Russell, who has the elite athletic ability to be an Ogden, Pace, or Walter Jones caliber tackle.

Very nice breakdown. Over at wizardsextreme.com, we have a system where you can add rep to a poster for a great post. I wish we could do the same here.

The only thing that worried me about Trent was the buzz on his lack of work ethic. That will play out or won't in future years but for now he's doing awesome. Okung Schmokung.

That's always the biggest red flag for me. That and small hands. As soon as I hear there are concerns with a player's work ethic, hell no. (Hence why I hate Andray Blatche. Lazy bum.) I would have probably taken Okung over Williams for that very reason. Good thing I'm not in control because from what I've seen, they hit it out of the park with Trent.

That's always the biggest red flag for me. That and small hands. As soon as I hear there are concerns with a player's work ethic, hell no. (Hence why I hate Andray Blatche. Lazy bum.) I would have probably taken Okung over Williams for that very reason. Good thing I'm not in control because from what I've seen, they hit it out of the park with Trent.

Well, you don't have all the information they have. I think interviews and all the extra legwork are very important.

Disagree? We pretty much said the samething theboomking ,u just swapped pro bowl comparisons ... for the record I believe Chris Samuel is a future HOF'er .... considered the premier offensive tackles prospect in the 2000 NFL Draft 6× Pro Bowl selection (2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008) 3rd overall pick

Well, you don't have all the information they have. I think interviews and all the extra legwork are very important.

True.

Disagree? We pretty much said the samething theboomking ,u just swapped pro bowl comparisons ... for the record I believe Chris Samuel is a future HOF'er .... considered the premier offensive tackles prospect in the 2000 NFL Draft 6× Pro Bowl selection (2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008) 3rd overall pick

God bless him, he was a great player for us for many years. Solid as a rock. Always reliable. But with that said, no way is he a HOFer. Pro Bowls mean nothing.

Very nice breakdown. Over at wizardsextreme.com, we have a system where you can add rep to a poster for a great post. I wish we could do the same here.

I'm on that board too :) What is your userID over there? I hope that board gets more busy once the Wizards become a more competitive team with Wall onboard.

Do you look at hand size for offensive linemen? Most look at arm length. Okung bested Williams in that measurement, with 36 inches vs 34.25 inches. Walter Jones had an arm length of 34.5 inches, Jonathan Ogden 33 inches, and Orlando Pace 36.25 inches. http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/04/14/arm-length-hand-quickness-dictate-olt-success

I look at hand size more for wide receivers, TE's, and QB's.

Had the Redskins won more then 1 playoff game with him he would be in the discussion.

Hell, Joe Jacoby still isn't in the HOF.

I hope your not assuming i mean 1st ballot .... in any case hes one the greastest redskins tackles of all time ...

One thing to not forget here is that Okung held out longer than Williams and was the last 1st rounder to sign. Williams only missed one day and started to develop a nice chemistry with Dockery along with the rest of the OL, Okung on the other hand didn't work with the team until he signed and it showed in the game. There were times when I watched last night and felt that he just looked like he was a little out of place. Although I would rank it 1 Williams and 1a Okung. You couldn't of gone wrong with either one of them

If you look around for Okung first game articles, there really aren't any.

It is summer time in Seattle, and therefore, the best time of the year for anything outside. People spend as little time inside as is possible, because once the rains set in in the Pac N West, they will be inside until next June/July.

PS: seattle fans are nuts! That stadium was packed and pumped all game long and it's only preseason 1.

See above. They will go to games, but are trying to enjoy the outdoors. The analysis will begin when the rains return.

I'm on that board too :) What is your userID over there? I hope that board gets more busy once the Wizards become a more competitive team with Wall onboard.

I'm D.G.A.C.O.L.B. over there. I'm a mod, though I'm not as active as others like admin and co. (busy, busy. life's a *****). But yeah, when the board first dropped it was bumping pretty well. This was before Gil and the Big Three fell apart. After that people started slowly slipping away. Even though D.C. is really a basketball city at heart, the site will never be as big as ES. But it should pick up significantly now that we have some legitmacy and hope. I know I'm excited. November 2nd baby. The Wall Era begins.

I hope your not assuming i mean 1st ballot .... in any case hes one the greastest redskins tackles of all time ...

I'd be willing to bet my salary for the rest of my life that he doesn't get into the HOF. I mean he's arguably not even a top 5 tackle in the 2000's. Willie Anderson, Ogden, Walter Jones, Orlando Pace, Willie Roaf. Flozell Adams went to one less Pro Bowl than Samuels (6 vs 5). Is he in consideration for the HOF?

You are most certainly correct in that he is one of the greatest Redskin tackles of all time. I don't think anyone can argue against that.

Archived