Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Cracking game. City really were there for the taking today, fancied Liverpool and very fair result overall. City got done by the Anfield atmosphere for that 10 minute spell. That was the difference in my view. 

Liverpool need a keeper badly and will benefit from the new lad in midfield. City should be looking a for a new striker that fits Peps game. Sergio, class player, doesn't quite fit for me. And Stones is ****. Can't see him getting better to be honest.

Stick with my view on a City/Liverpool 1-2 finish.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Corcaigh said:

Mo, Bobby and Sadio did remarkably well without Coutinho.

Just like the song from above:

oh Salah

Mane, Mane

and Bobby Firminoooooo

so we sold Coutinho...

that cat has the third sight.  Rightly calling 3 of 4 goal scorers and that we wouldn't miss Phil (okay, that's a stretch short term)...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Watched the game in Richmond at my sisters house.  Probably got her fined for the HOA noise violations I let out each time we scored.

I know I scared her dog.

That was ****ing awesome top to bottom.

Two immediate reactions that haven't been mentioned yet - give Ox the Armband and re-sign Emre if it's not too late.

Edited by DC9
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hey guys! It's been a long time! What a game!! 

I think that Ox is exactly what Liverpool needs in the midfield. Add Naby next year and a proper DM and they'll be fine. Coutinhos don't just grow on trees, you'll never replace him. I don't think they have to. I would like to see another winger come in to challenge Mane for playing time and to get more of a rotation. Liverpool should definitely bring in another keeper. I think Mignolet is done. What's up with Clyne? Is he done? I haven't heard. I think either they need to see what Gomes can do it the middle and give TAA a run or Clyne. I think things are progressing nicely...

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Two immediate reactions that haven't been mentioned yet - give Ox the Armband and re-sign Emre if it's not too late.

I think OX will be the Captain very soon. Until then, Bobby deserves it. He plays with passion and is relentless. He never stops. I love Emre, but he's gone. I'm guessing Hendo will get the first shot at that DM role with both Naby and Ox going box to box.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Arsenal '03/'04 can thank us later. 

Up the 'Pool. Mighty Reds!

Hail. 

Again, Arsenal's Invincibles, you're MORE than welcome. 

Been buzzing too much to settle down and add .....

Wow. What an absolute bloody privilege to watch, IMHO, the two best teams the Country under the two best Coaches go toe-to-toe to produce, yet again, such a pulsatingly awesome game of 
togger ..... 

Let's start there 
on the coaches and kudos to the mad German. 

No surprise he's got the winning record against Pep that he has. They're SO similar in their respective views on the beautiful game it's uncanny. Why nobody matches 
upto Pep as well and why L'pool- City has fast become the marquee PL game of the current age. 

To do THAT to the Champions elect (I would happily anoint them already but let's play the correct 'points still to play for' percentage card), a team that good they may very well not lose another game this season the PL ..... To school them to such an extent (let's be far the final scoreline flatters the heck out of them) ..... All without big Virge and some 
lil' Brazilian fella' ..... WOW! Fully expected a win. But not like that. 

Where do you start? (In no particular order) 

The Karius era is officially back up and running then? Not the most auspicious of starts (WTF was he doing the first goal? Although the defending preceding it was little better), but just 
to not see that humongous Belgium bellend between the sticks is a MASSIVE positive. Really looking forward to seeing how he does with a concerted run now and with a WC centre-half and leader in front of him. So long as Klopp doesn't cave to gob****es like Carragher and Neville like he did last year under their collective disgraceful daily evisceration, at least we'll finally get to see if he has something or not before the summer market opens. 

Andy Robertson. What 
a F-ing display! To have £terling completely and utterly in his back pocket to the point he got that frustrated and wound up he was just trying to kick him was as enjoyable to a Liverpudlian as most anything else that happened today. Superb display. 

Gini Wijnaldum. Welcome back! Where 
the F have yers been? By far and away his best display the year. Back upto last season's midfield, piss-taking dominance from him. 

Joel Matip. Again, welcome back! Again, where the F have 
yers been? Again, by far and away his best display the year. Classy and utterly dominant alongside the equally dominant Lovren. Mad when they conceded three but they both were

yer know

Emre Can. Again, welcome back! When you decide to play, like that, you're every bit deserving of the contract you think you should have. Just we never see it consistently enough. Stick to working as hard and as disciplined as that mate. That's the Emre we want to see. 

Bobby Firmino. If there's a better all-round centre-forward in this league I want to know of him. He may not have the goals output of a Kane or Augero. (Yet. He's now on 17 for the year with 10 in the league. Improving that finishing touch to his game the more comfortable he get's as a #9. Which he is. Never got where the bollocks 'false 9' comes from just because our system is so fluid and interchangeable. He's a centre-forward. End of. But I digress ..... ). But as a complete centre-forward package ..... Absolutely awesome today. Particularly second half. His goal man ..... That time Utd Robbie put Neville his arse and chipped Schmeichel ..... Yeah, that good. 

Anfield. When she rocks like that, there's NO place in World football better. I was just an exhilarated participant today as I have no voice (been suffering with Flu to the point of nearly sacking today off) so couldn't participate but the exhilaration among it stood the Kop is no different. 

I could go on and on (I start on Alex, Sadio and Mo, who now has as many goals in a season as Steven Gerrard ever managed for the Reds I'll never stop lol) but I'll be here all day. Finish as I started with ..... just an absolute bloody privilege to watch two top, top quality sides contest such a high-quality game of football. THAT'S why you pay to go the match and make the sacrifices you do. THAT'S why you love this game to begin with. 

Statement game. Statement sent. Europe on notice to Kloppo's continuing progression of his Liverpool FC project. 

Up the 18 Unbeaten and Counting, Invincible Ruining Reds!

Hail. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jobaga said:

I think OX will be the Captain very soon. Until then, Bobby deserves it. He plays with passion and is relentless. He never stops. I love Emre, but he's gone. I'm guessing Hendo will get the first shot at that DM role with both Naby and Ox going box to box.

Hendo has no business getting back into this side.  Not even for early cup caps - because then he'll just be taking the opportunity away from youngins.

If Can is gone then we need to get a proper defensive mid with the 46 mil we aren't spending on Oblak lol.

Henderson is not a Liverpool player.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Andy Robertson. What a F-ing display! To have £terling completely and utterly in his back pocket to the point he got that frustrated and wound up he was just trying to kick him was as enjoyable to a Liverpudlian as most anything else that happened today. Superb display. 

Gini Wijnaldum. Welcome back! Where the F have yers been? By far and away his best display the year. Back upto last season's midfield, piss-taking dominance from him. 

Joel Matip. Again, welcome back! Again, where the F have 
yers been? Again, by far and away his best display the year. Classy and utterly dominant alongside the equally dominant Lovren. Mad when they conceded three but they both were

yer know

Emre Can. Again, welcome back! When you decide to play, like that, you're every bit deserving of the contract you think you should have. Just we never see it consistently enough. Stick to working as hard and as disciplined as that mate. That's the Emre we want to see. 

Bobby Firmino. If there's a better all-round centre-forward in this league I want to know of him. He may not have the goals output of a Kane or Augero. (Yet. He's now on 17 for the year with 10 in the league. Improving that finishing touch to his game the more comfortable he get's as a #9. Which he is. Never got where the bollocks 'false 9' comes from just because our system is so fluid and interchangeable. He's a centre-forward. End of. But I digress ..... ). But as a complete centre-forward package ..... Absolutely awesome today. Particularly second half. His goal man ..... That time Utd Robbie put Neville his arse and chipped Schmeichel ..... Yeah, that good. 

Thought Andy's really been good since the Derby.  I mean REALLY good.  Amazing having youth and depth there what once was the biggest weakness.  It was between he and Ox for MOTM - I give Ox the nod cause he had the stats, but boy has he pocketed his side of the field the last two and he's getting a cross or two in the box going forward.  That press today where he ran 100 plus yards on his own is what this club is all about.  Love it.

Gomez is a CB and he's the heir apparent to Matip and probably gets in the rotation there soon.  He's not doing poorly, he's just having a tough time in that all of his lessons are getting punished.  Being strong at that back post on diagnols, and today he was done in by Sane and the wind.  He's going to be a top player, but he's just had a rough go here and there.  Today he at least recovered and forced a near post shot and Karius just did horribly.

My take with Karius is that Klopp is done with Migs.  He's going to give Karius an honest run and if he doesn't deliver that money is getting spent on a worldie keeper the likes of which we haven't seen since Reina or Dudek in their prime.  Probably better.  It'll be a top 3 keeper with the money we have to spend.  We'll see - I'm obviously behind Karius but the early returns are just jaw dropping.  Maybe big Virgil can calm him down. 

Gini wasn't the best with his passes today, he was better than good enough and he was as hard a worker as I've ever seen back checking and getting out on the wings to help the fullbacks with Raheem and Sane.  Very good.  Tackling and playing with the ball at his feet.  We don't win without him today (you can say that about everyone - which is why I love our team).

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Hendo has no business getting back into this side.  Not even for early cup caps - because then he'll just be taking the opportunity away from youngins.

If Can is gone then we need to get a proper defensive mid with the 46 mil we aren't spending on Oblak lol.

Henderson is not a Liverpool player.

I agree that Hendo is not a box to box midfielder. I think he has the athleticism and desire to be a good DM. He doesn't have the passing range to be a deep laying playmaker. He can absolutely be a disrupter on defense and a ball mover on offense. It depends on his willingness to do the dirty work for the team. Klopp loves him, so (like it or not) he's absolutely going to get a crack at it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jobaga said:

Klopp loves him, so (like it or not) he's absolutely going to get a crack at it.

I don't think he does, being totally honest.

There are three players left from that 13-14 team - arguably the three worst players on the team.  Flanno, Sturridge, and Hendo.  Somehow Flanno hasn't gotten the axe yet.  That should be addressed yesterday.  I think if we get a fair offer from Sturridge (hopefully from the South coast) he'll be gone.  Hendo is a mid-table midfielder and he doesn't have what it takes to be a DM against top teams.  He got cooked against City the reverse fixture and Spurs ate him up, too.  Granted that Spurs game I don't think the whole team got off the bus that day.

Remember - you had these same conversations with me about Coutinho being one of the best players in the world and both you and GHH argued with me when we bought Bobby and I said he was going to be a Suarez-esque striker.

Check the tape. :ols:

Yes I was wrong about Benteke - but I had no idea he was THAT lazy.

• Like 2

I loved Coutinho. I guarantee I always supported him on here. I've always liked Bobby's hustle and willingness to work, but I don't really think I was around during those conversations. If you want to waste the time, you can check my posts. I suggested Liverpool put the armband on Phil years ago...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jobaga said:

I loved Coutinho. I guarantee I always supported him on here. I've always liked Bobby's hustle and willingness to work, but I don't really think I was around during those conversations. If you want to waste the time, you can check my posts. I suggested Liverpool put the armband on Phil years ago...

I think VVD gets the armband next year with Ox the vice captain, FWIW.

TBH, just happy to hear from GHH. Thought he may have drinken himself into a stupor.

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1