Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Speaking of Trolling in this thread. Not in a good mood, the Dukes lost today, were the better team, but to many self-inflicted wounds they could not overcome.

I see GHH and his sidekick DC9 have not changed.

And, Liverpool won't win any trophies this year, which is pretty much what it is all about, though I agree with the transfer to Barca.

I could see City winning the three domestic ones - I see Pep learned something from his stay in Germany

Unfortunate that moving forward that only certain teams around Europe will be able to spend huge in the transfer market. Kind of taken away from the game. Makes one long for the old days.

On a side note, don't understand the Gotze comment. Guy had to take time off because of some physical issues and is slowly trying to get back to form. Not sure if he will, but .....

Now, time to leave until the next time I stop by and troll

2 hours ago, FanboyOf91 said:

Dortmund players:

A) Pulisic

B)?

Just saying...

Who's the second kid?

Where does Mahrez line up, though?  is he a forward, winger, CM?  wouldn't hate that signing, and for relative peanuts. 

pair him with a keeper (i'd agree @DC9 on alisson being the pick if the other cat has that large of a release fee) and get one of Goretzka, Suso, Lemar, Pulisic, etc--- that's good business.  hell, if he's motivated to play in liverpool and not heart-set on ManC, sanchez would be nice now too.  that's getting greedy, though.

48 minutes ago, Fred Jones said:

Now, time to leave until the next time I stop by and troll

Troll?  I'm just glad you're alive.

What an ego boost it has to be that you HAVE to come by when stuff like this happens.

If the friendly didn't bother you or Richmanc, then why did both of you stay away for 6 months?

I know that you know that I know why.

37 minutes ago, DC9 said:

I know that you know that I know why.

Not sure it's good form to promote yer sidekick like but :rofl89::rofl89:

Anyway, props to FSG. After the price freeze again for next year yesterday, they follow with this: 

Information for fans who purchased 2017-18 Coutinho replica jerseys - Liverpool FC

After Hogan putting his foot in his mouth last month, AGAIN!, fair ****s to them for positive fan relations and good PR. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Long n Left said:

It's a strange one as the club are totally denying interest. But then they've shut down a lot since the initial van Dijk fiasco last summer so who knows?

I don't think
there's many better wide men the PL. Two footed. Strong. Deceptively quick. Brilliant first touch. PL proven. 1 in 3 goal scorer. Unselfish with a shed load assists. Can play anywhere across the front three as he has at Leicester. (Albeit mainly off the right down to Drinkwater the other side.). Just coming into his prime. Won the African POTY that Mo's just bagged which is no mean achievement. 

Like van Dijk, he'd upgrade any of the top 6 clubs. 

Being part of the Ranieri coup never sat well with me. But by all accounts, his attitude has been pretty much bang on and he's one of Leicester's hardest workers. You imagine him and what he brings to the table under Klopp in this system and there's lot to like on Mahrez in Red. 

Hail. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DC9 said:

Here's the thing - they haven't said they aren't INTERESTED in Mahrez or that we aren't buying him... they've said he isn't a Coutinho replacement.

that was my thought (and hope) too.  honestly, they should say phil is essentially irreplaceable-- no one we bring in is his "replacement."  will help those that come in if they don't have to fill anyone's shoes and just be their own player, regardless of who it is.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dchogs said:

that was my thought (and hope) too.  honestly, they should say phil is essentially irreplaceable-- no one we bring in is his "replacement."  will help those that come in if they don't have to fill anyone's shoes and just be their own player, regardless of who it is.

Agreed.  Though Jurgen really hasn't done a buy like that since he's been here.  Pearce had a good piece on it.

Jurgen has shown he wants HIS guy and he'll wait for him.

I'm less confident that we'll get anything knocked out this January than I was yesterday.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Agreed.  Though Jurgen really hasn't done a buy like that since he's been here.  Pearce had a good piece on it.

Jurgen has shown he wants HIS guy and he'll wait for him.

I'm less confident that we'll get anything knocked out this January than I was yesterday.

People seem to be completely overlooking Lallana, our most creative player from midfield last year with Phil wide left, is now back. Along with Chamberlain looking better and better with each passing game and who's showing he can be real dominant the middle. There's two top quality options for rotating that role. 

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see them strengthen at the back. Maybe in goal? Positions unrelated to Coutinho per se yer know? Whilst boxing off say Lemar for the summer. 

Personally, if you're asking a straight replacement here and now the squad, then I'd go Pulisic above anyone out there. Who they still hold a strong interest in. But that's just my personal preference. Klopp will add what's the highest quality, and more importantly, the right fit for everything we do. Andas you mentioned lil' bro',  ala Keita and van Dijk, he won't settle for less than that so things may well be more toward the summer.

Hail. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Kinda like VVD? :)

Absolutely.

Apparently Leipzig don't want to let him move early. 

I'm absolutely shocked we didn't have a replacement all but over the line before we sold him.  I get that Naby will be here at the summer but holy ****.  City on the 14th is as big as it gets til the knockouts start.  I'm fully confident we'll get top talent in for the money and I understand there isn't a massive rush, but I would've thought there would be a bridge at least.

I see the Brasilian media claim we're going to announce Alisson this window.  That would be starkly hilarious if we all of a sudden became a defensive team with a dominant keeper, wouldn't it?  Don't see Roma selling him now, either, unless he's out after this year.  I do think he's the guy, though.

Also - this is just hilarious so I'm going to share it with you guys.

Edited by DC9
  • Haha 2

Philippe Coutinho on leaving Liverpool, why he had to join Barcelona and 'the statement' Virgil van Dijk made - Liverpool Echo

I really don’t know right now how I’ll ultimately feel about him. Emotions are all over the place.

On the one hand, you get things like this. As professional and proper as he’s been the vast majority of his time here. Not least when he has played and given everything. Often to an exceptionally high level. The good memories are more than plentiful.

On the other, this is a professional footballer who refused to do his job, twice over, to get another. Openly lying over
injury to jib out of playing. The first time potentially putting at risk a whole season's hard graft by swerving the Hoffenheim qualifier. The second, you presume going off Klopp’s words his statement, disrupting the changies to such an extent it left his position untenable and a club that had offered him everything to stay little option but to move him on. Along with lying about injury again to sack off a crucial league and Cup game. Which would have rolled through the whole of January like it did August. Two months off, on full pay, when there’s nottin’ wrong with you. Nice work if you can get it.

I think ultimately I’ll remember the good with him more that FAR outweighs the bad. The heart thumping excitement he’s given me the match with his countless Worldie goals. The sublime assists seeing things very few others can. Let alone the execution to complete them. But right here, right now, there’s a lot of anger and more so serious disappointment in him dor how he’s behaved. And that sadly will always tinge the way he’s viewed.

For me, the way Suarez went around things was FAR worse. Another lad prepared to strike to force a move to F Arsenal of all teams before Stevie and a few others talked him down to stay a final year. Then bringing shame and embarrassment, not for the first time, on the club, his teammates and every last L’pool supporter out there with another bite in front of the World to calculatingly force L’pools hand and get his move.

But at the least, Suarez gave us that last great season where he left NOTHING
on the park every game. Phil couldn't even do that. 

He talked about the special nature of L’pool and its fans when he signed the last contract. How you couldn’t beat that fan passion anywhere. Statues built and all that. Yet Luis Suarez, for all his faults, remains a fan hero and would be welcomed back tomorrow with open arms tomorrow by the majority. Phil Coutinho, for the sake of 4/5 short months, and doubling down twice over by stopping playing to force that, now, sadly, never will be.

You could have left on the best of terms mate and been looked upon as a modern-day great. 

Instead, you’ve left a terribly sour taste in the mouth that will linger forever in how you’re ultimately viewed by Liverpudlians.

Hail.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

FA probe into Mason Holgate's allegation Roberto Firmino racially abused him to see all parties quizzed this week - Mirror Online

Had to be investigated as soon as Holgate decided to deflect from what he did. Just an absolute joke that it’s been brought about with absolutely no evidence to corroborate the accusation.

The worry now is you can never trust the FA to do the right thing in anything. So the threats still there on Firmino.

I just hope it then switches to Holgate if they do.

Again, racism should be taken seriously and relevant sanctions handed out.

As should anyone that trivialises racism and flippantly pulls out the race card to deflect away from what they’ve just done with
nottin’ to back up the claim.

Hail.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

FA probe into Mason Holgate's allegation Roberto Firmino racially abused him to see all parties quizzed this week - Mirror Online

Had to be investigated as soon as Holgate decided to deflect from what he did. Just an absolute joke that it’s been brought about with absolutely no evidence to corroborate the accusation.

The worry now is you can never trust the FA to do the right thing in anything. So the threats still there on Firmino.

I just hope it then switches to Holgate if they do.

Again, racism should be taken seriously and relevant sanctions handed out.

As should anyone that trivialises racism and flippantly pulls out the race card to deflect away from what they’ve just done with nottin’ to back up the claim.

Hail.

should be as simple as asking the ref... he was standing right there between them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

But at the least, Suarez gave us that last great season where he left NOTHING on the park every game. Phil ciuldn’t even do that. 

He talked about the special nature of L’pool and its fans when he signed the last contract. How you couldn’t beat that fan passion anywhere. Statues built and all that. Yet Luis Suarez, for all his faults, remains a fan hero and would be welcomed back tomorrow with open arms tomorrow by the majority. Phil Coutinho, for the sake of 4/5 short months, and doubling down twice over by stopping playing to force that, now, sadly, never will be.

You could have left on the best of terms mate and been looked upon as a modern day great. 

Instead, you’ve left a terribly sour taste in the mouth that will linger for ever in how you’re ultimately viewed by Liverpudlians.

Hail.

to be honest, i had never thought that suarez did the biting in the WC to force a move... maybe just naive of me, but with his history, i just assumed he lost his head again.

in any case, i largely agree with you here, especially on why suarez will be always be a red and not phil.  that said, football is a business, and clubs are cold and calculating in dealing with players all the time-- players have to look out for themselves.  phil could have tore his knee in march and have lost the chance to realize his dream of playing at barca.  where phil loses me, though, is the BS injury crap.  don't lie to the fans, phil, especially when you and everyone else know you're lying to force a move.  that was a breach of trust that he isn't going to be able to mend.

i was expecting something more explosive in that article... there wasn't anything that screamed "he had to play at barca" to me other than he's always dreamed of it.  I wasn't sure if the explosive reason would be pro-barca or anti-liverpool... and it turned out to be nothing.  meh.  certainly nothing that made a mid-season transfer mandatory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just don't understand why it had to be NOW.  He gains nothing.  Barca already have the league locked up and he can't play Champions League for them.

The romantic in me thinks Barca was doing it because with Phil and the rest of our side (and now VVD) we can beat anyone on any given day.  Still think we can, but the odds were slashed substantially because the current shape is literally set up to help Phil. 

That we also don't have a replacement lined up shows me that this wasn't really expected. 

I digress.  It's done.  We go again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1