Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

For a narky arl bugger, this is a wonderful, emotive piece of writing from Nevin that's brought a tear to my eye and put a big ass smile on my face in equal measure:

https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2017/09/bill-shanklys-liverpool-legacy-the-scot-who-did-so-much-more-than-make-the-people-happy/

I was a toddler that glorious Cup final against the Geordies and then his subsequent, jaw-dropping resignation the summer after. So I sadly never got to experience the one thing I'd give a heck of a lot to of experienced if I could. A game stood the Kop with that man in charge. Often conducting crowd and players alike. Like some crazy mad German fella' of today, he just got us and the City in every way and connected seamlessly like very few outsiders ever have to this unique place they come to call home. 

Me Ma has never been that into footie. She's originally from Bradford. Married me Dad and became an 'adopted Scouser.' Got a passing love for the Reds from him. But I'll never forget her letting me jib off school, Friday, October 2, 1981, (some dates never leave you) and going with a few other women, who also wasn't that into footie, on the bus to stand down the road the church West Derby, in the pouring rain, to pay our respects. Which said it all about the effect the fella' had on most everyone, Red or Blue, in this great City. And for the record, EVERY football league club was represented. Such was the man's legacy to the sport. 

Everything we are. Everything we've achieved and everything we have yet to experience. We all it most all to him.

Beautiful writing Mike lad.

Hail. 

• Like 1

Juniors transition to outfield player (for the rest of the year, anyway) is going well.

He'll get to slide back in to GK at the start the spring once he's able to get into the travel team (U7).

Really fun day in the ol' no-keeper-small-net **** they have the kids working on.  I do appreciate that they have them working on touches.

Sweet rip and run and strong finish on this play here.

20170930_110223_1.gif

8 hours ago, FanboyOf91 said:
I'm sure Tuchel can buy stars just as well as any other coach. #buyern

Wow... :rofl89:

If I'm being honest, better him than my Jurgen.  Not that I was worried, but it keeps them from sniffing.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Morrison J said:

Yeah, Harry Kane is world class. What a player.

His performance in Champions League so far have been outstanding.

He's certainly gotten better this year.  I do reserve praise on him for padding stats on the newly promoted Huddersfield, though.

• Like 1

Caring footballer story shocker!

Andy Robertson is proving players do give something back* | Daily Mail Online

Without wishing to sound like a social commentator, and I hate promoting anything in the Nationalistic, xenophobic, bigoted, hate-filled agenda bile that is the Daily Third Reich; but a great choice of paper to run this to hit home to their average readership, a sizeable portion of working-class Britains, and raise awareness and understanding of foodbanks/ food poverty and the reasons behind their need for many low-income, hard-working Britains that is a continued blight to the Country's detriment in 2017.

Nice solidarity at today's game: Newcastle West End foodbank to get donations from Liverpool fans before NUFC clash - Chronicle Live

WbVfv8Ph_bigger.jpgSupporting Foodbanks‏ @SFoodbanksFollow

More

What unites us is far greater than what divides us. #HungerDoesntWearClubColours #EFC … #LFC #NUFC 
Fight #FoodPoverty

Hail. 
Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, DC9 said:

His performance in Champions League so far have been outstanding.

He's certainly gotten better this year.  I do reserve praise on him for padding stats on the newly promoted Huddersfield, though.

He's been brilliant for 2/3 seasons now but taken it up a level this season alright. Nobody stops that second goal he scored yesterday. I don't think there's a striker in the world playing as well as he is right now.

1 hour ago, Morrison J said:

He's been brilliant for 2/3 seasons now but taken it up a level this season alright. Nobody stops that second goal he scored yesterday. I don't think there's a striker in the world playing as well as he is right now.

We'll see when those 3 lions go on won't we?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Remember when I used to bomb down the right from FB and blam things at goal with my right? 

It's in the blood. All I'm saying. :P .

Hail. 

I actually really like this academy.  Good staff.  Two dudes from my high school team that went to the State playoffs my last two years (lost semis and then lost the final - cause yeah), two Frogs, a former Canadian International, and some former South American internationals.  Really good blend of style and coaching philosophy.  

Don't tell him I'm taking his advice or anything, but it's the one @btfoom recommended and I honestly couldn't be more happy with them OTHER than they don't do anything with the keeper until U-7.  He's learned much better presence on the ball and his finishing has gone from nonexistant to pretty good in just two seasons.  Coaches were taking diligent notes and doing video yesterday and he absolutely balled out.  They want him to be a fullback or a CM, which I'd be fine with, but he's a really good keeper and I think that they think he's too short for that.  I keep telling them they'll be surprised but we'll see.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FanboyOf91 said:

Today's Barca game...should be interesting...

Had no idea this was going on til I got back.  America does not outwardly support the Kurdish Referendum for certain reasons, but the Brits do.  I met their Attorney General equivelent this past spring and he had some very interesting points that he was making.  I actually used the Spainish Civil War to explain a lot of what's going on to the youngins.  Even though there is no violence between the Iraqi Government and "Kurdistan," proper. 

It's why people with a soul will support Barca in El Classico over Real.  Even though they tested every bit of my patience this past summer.

• Like 1

Don't care much at all for Barcelona after the underhand way they behaved, yet again, this summer and tested everyone's patience to the limit. And mixing politics and sport is never good. But if this sanction is brought down on them and the Spanish FA sides with the Spanish Government to add to the scandalous situation currently going against the Catalonians leading to this on safety grounds it will be an absolute disgrace. 

Madrid, the Establishment/ Kings team, handed a freebie straight back in the race you say ..... Stinks! 

Hail. 

• Like 1

****e not being at the game. More so when it's Newcastle- L'pool. Probably the most entertaining contest in PL history with a myriad of pure footballing, all-out attacking classics. And then there's the Rafa factor. Always one of the best aways of any season Newcastle. One you defo want to do a weekend. 

attachment.php?attachmentid=1129856&stc=

Danny Sturridge must be salivating at the supply line he's got there. 

Realy looking forward to this. Someone's due an absolute walloping off these Reds who've completely dominated most every game they've played this year save for Watford and City. (Which they were when it was 11 against 11.). The goals were flying in pre-City. We know the struggles converting post that game. But Septembers done. New month. Let's take it out on the Geordies and give a side the licking our play this year has more than deserved. Score early and undo Rafa's defensive game-plan. 

Fancy L'pool 3 or 4 this avvi.

Up the Headed Back the Top 4 Reds!  

Hail. 

• Like 1

How can anyone not like Rafa? I mean I don't care for his safety first, 'we start with a point. The very least we can do is finish with a point and anything else is a bonus' philosophy on footie that used to bore the living piss out of yer at times. But the blokes a genuinely top fella. 

7uS0O137_bigger.jpgLee RyderVerified account @lee_ryderFollow

More

Rafa Benitez has made Hillsborough campaigner Margaret Aspinall guest of honour for today's game #nufc #LFC

1:59 am - 1 Oct 2017 From North East, England

Hail. 
  • Like 1