Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

https://audioboom.com/posts/5820467-hillsborough-28-years-on-phil-scraton-on-owning-the-truth-of-april-15-1989?t=0

Superb pod with an absolutely exceptional man. Without whom, as much as anyone, we wouldn't be at the point we are today. Fully befitting hour 20 of ANY football fans time. 

8 years ago, after the momentous 20th memorial at the ground, a few of us had finally had enough of all the people there for the WRONG reasons. People cheering and taking photies when the players and staff came out. People treating it like a 'day out' and a chance to go to Anfield. Certain prominent family members using the occasion as a personal soapbox to preach on things that are far from solely personal to themselves. Meeting back the pub after continually full of anger to add to the emotions that are at their rawest the 15th even now at everything we'd yet again witnessed. As hard as the club tried, it had turned into a circus sideshow in many respects. So we made the decision to do our own thing. To get back to being what the 15th should be all about. Respectful remembrance of friends needlessly taken. Shared with friends you'd sadly shared the darkest of depths with who understood what you were feeling without having to say anything as they were feeling the exact same. So we got in touch with the Clergy, who have been excessively accommodating in affording us the use of a church to do our thing. And started using St Nicks in town. Which I've always felt is the spiritual home of the City with it's position looking out over the Mersey near the Pier Head. We didn't know what we were doing that first time. Just that it felt right for us to be together, and have a short service with the reading of all the names, and a moment's reflection at 3:06 PM. Which brings me back to the above pod. A good friend, Kevin Sansom (who has a wonderful book among many he's penned, 'Hillsborough Voices', a collection of accounts done in a beautifully respectful and moving way I'd highly recommend); knew Professor Scraton through the fight over the years. And he sent over a hand written piece for Sammo to read out being very regretful he couldn't attend as he would be at the Anfield service. Just perfect, heartfelt words that perfectly tied that first service of ours together and definitively reaffirmed we were doing the right thing for ourselves. 

A truly great, GREAT man who whilst he'd never wish to be thought of in these terms the debt of gratitude you feel toward him can't be stressed enough. 

We haven't got the use of St Nicholas' this year with today being Easter Saturday. So we'll join with the HJC. Their service is short and respectful with a few well-chosen words and the reading of the names. The closest to what we've taken to doing that just fits right to remember. Hopefully at 3:06 when my City falls silent, as always seems to uncannily happen on this day, those prophetic radio words from the late, great Peter Jones 28 years ago closing down the BBC radio coverage will be pertinent again ..... ' ..... and the sun shines now.' 

Hardest day of every year. God rest. 

17951559_1414016728663037_47492272066643

Hail. 

• Like 2

We're with you in spirit GHH, and all touched by the tragedy.

Was at the golf tournament in Hilton Head yesterday wearing a Liverpool jersey. Had a lady say, "You'll never walk alone," to me, and the guy holding the door at the merchandise tent start singing it to me. A smile, shake of the hand, and a response from me to both: "Remember the 96!"

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Long n Left said:

We're with you in spirit GHH, and all touched by the tragedy.

Was at the golf tournament in Hilton Head yesterday wearing a Liverpool jersey. Had a lady say, "You'll never walk alone," to me, and the guy holding the door at the merchandise tent start singing it to me. A smile, shake of the hand, and a response from me to both: "Remember the 96!"

9 hours ago, dchogs said:

thinking of you, the 96, and the rest of LFC today, GHH.

You lads are the BEST! Thank you. 

And you, L n L, have just brought a tear to my eye. Total respect. 

5 hours ago, FanboyOf91 said:

Now if only the 90 other clubs would follow suit. 

Thank you Blues. 

C9bv0plXYAAMa3x.jpg

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 2

Just typical when you miss a game it happens to be the one with one of the best pubs every year for not only great ale but boss scran with it's tandoori barbeque and fantastic curry. Missing 'The Vine' around now. 

Interesting to see what we do today. Does he continue for this game with the formation of the last two? Rather he didn't but then provided the personnel s right, which it wasn't the woeful last 30 Bournemouth or first half Stoke, but was the second half last Sunday when we battered them; I can see the virtues of an attacking 3-4-3/ 3-5-1-1/ 5-2-3, call it what you may as it flips, against the rigid 4-4-2 Pulis employs. Who, as much as I dislike his brand of football with a passion, has been playing a lot more football and attacking on the ground this year to be fair to him as he's gotten better players. 

West Brom look to be settled in what will be their highest ever PL finish. Not dropping back. Not going forward. And have been up and down and looking like they've packed it in now most games of late. But as Stoke last week, that never really follows when one of the real big boys is in town. But provided the attitude and work ethic matches them, our quality should win out. 

We're getting too hung up on Pulis and L'pool in another must win at a 'lesser' side. When with 4 wins and 2 draws the last 6 since we got healthy again, we're actually one of the form sides the league once more. 

Another 3 points and another step toward avoiding the qualifier nobody wants. 

Up the Pulis Pummeling Reds! 

Hail. 

• Like 1

Timely strike right at the half. Maybe break up the bus parking. Couldn't believe WBA was putting all XI behind the ball their own third right from the get go. Well, it is Pulis, guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Beautiful goal there! 

That's why you have Lucas in, perfect flick to the far post. 

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 1

There's something real satisfying to out Pulis, Pulis on a free kick. Get in Bobby lad! 

Pretty poor first half. Just sloppy. Firmino should of scored early. Chadli an even worse miss with the air shot. Where the F Clyne was Heck only knows. Nice of Kanu to softly pass back Mignolet when it was easier to score. And not much of anything else until Firmino's header.  Pulis being Pulis back to Pulisian football. 

DON'T F this up second half Reds with any stupid mistakes the back! 

Keep working boys. 90 minutes!

Hail. 

• Like 1

Thank F for that! 

Horrible game of football. How anyone can pay to watch a Pulis side, when it's going full Pulis, I don't know. Just goes out to spoil a game. And that was horrid. 

It was that bad that Moreno got on. To remind us how bad he was by missing an open goal with Foster the other end of the pitch. 

Still, another massive three points in the top 3 battle. And L'pool FINALLY beating Pulis at home! 

Nothing more to say as the match is forgotten already. 

Up the battling Reds!

Hail. 

• Like 2

Absolutely RIDICULOUS stat. Superb football club. They have their way of doing things and they won't change for anyone. Fair play to them. Fantastic. 

Simon Gleave‏ @SimonGleave Follow 

Ajax have played 1652 successive matches with a homegrown player on the field but even more remarkably, all but 21 minutes of that streak too

• 3:31 am - 17 Apr 2017
  •  
  • attachment.php?attachmentid=1112710&stc=

Hail. 

• Like 1

So I've finally got around to watching Fulham's teenage phenom Ryan Sessegnon in a game. 

Yeah, this kid is the REAL deal. Like Trent, he'll ultimately end up further forward than FB as bot their natural talents will demand. Which is where he played this avvy. The left of the front attacking three. SO composed on the ball. Great touch. First time passing. Intelligent movement always offering good width but coming inside when the opportunity's there. Rapid pace. Two great feet. Worked hard tracking back defensively ..... Everythng it says on the tin. NOW I see the hype. And to top it off, he scored Fulhams opener after a great volley against the ball, then following up to half-volley home his own initial effort. After drifting in the back post from the wing. 

His 7th goal. And 5th the Championship. At still 16. Just a natural footballer that is everything as advertised. 

Ryan replacing Moreno learning behind Milner will fit just nice next year. Trent, Sessegnon and Joe Gomez forming the bulk of the back four in future years ..... Yeah, make THAT happen please L'pool! 

Talking superb youngsters now ensconced with the first team, Harry Wilson bagged his 28th U-23's goal today. Not too shabby from the wing. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven