Sticksboi05

ES Soccer Thread

Recommended Posts

I'm looking forward to see what a healthy Keita can do.

 

The biggest concern is the drop off when Firminho is not available. Without him I think they need to play a different system.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

I'm looking forward to see what a healthy Keita can do.

 

Yeah, me too. Didn’t even mention him, and he was looking good preseason.

 

Still think a technically gifted creator could do wonders in that midfield. Keita and Ox seem a bit more direct, but Naby seems to have an eye for a sweet through ball.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Europe's top 5 leagues spending well over £5 billion this transfer window, just how super satisfying was it to not be involved? Safe in the knowledge we have one of (if not the) most balanced, deep quality squads across all of Europe which continues to grow and get better and better the longer they are together? Whilst we did some super housekeeping and raked in nearly £55 million the other way in sales and loan fees. Removing 3 of our biggest contracts in the process. Without losing a single important squad member you didn't want to lose. 

I mean I've no doubt next summer, when the lads we're sitting and working on, be it a Fernandes, Havertz, Sancho or whomever, becomes available, we'll be back in the transfer game adding a couple of top quality lads who fit. 

But just in terms of a super relaxing summer, watching everyone else fret over this player and that, and seeing clubs around well over pay in lots of cases out of desperation; it was real nice to just watch from a distance and let the madness roll elsewhere for this summer at least. 

Liverpool Football Club couldn't be in better hands. On and off the field. 

Hail. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 8:46 AM, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

 

Watching this Utd side is like watching L'pool for much of the PL era. 

 

Going nowhere with such a sub-standard group and utterly tactically clueless, naive manager who should be nowhere near a club like Utd. 

 

Hail. 

 

Right now it is a full on teardown and it was probably much needed.  The scary part as a fan is that you really don't trust the Glazers and Woodward to actually rebuild the house once it has been torn down to the studs.  One tiny example, we knew Lukaku was going to go for around what we paid this summer and had scouted Haller as a replacement, a CF who could score the scruffy close range goals that Martial and Rashford are never in position for.  Haller ended up at West Ham for a lot less than we sold Lukaku for and as the second half unfolded on Saturday all I could think was how if we had a decent CF on the end of any one of those crosses James was putting in we would have won at a canter.  That penny pinching could cost us upwards of 10 points this season and with the chasing group tightening the gap a 10 point swing could be the difference between 4th and 10th this year.

 

They will keep Ole because he is beloved at the club and shields the culprits from the fans whilst also being so happy to have the job that he will never call Ed out for leaving him with a squad that is not fit for purpose.  He is a little naïve tactically but when you look at how threadbare this group is even changing formations and tactics is tantamount to rearranging the deckchairs on the titanic.  For all his flaws Pogba is our best player but with no other world class Midfielders at the club we need to play him in about 4 different positions, if he is played deep he can't influence our attacking play as much as we need him to but if you play him as a number 10 he inevitably will end up dropping deeper to get the ball because there is nobody on the roster capable of playing the playmaker role from deep and he will be starved for service. 

 

My expectation is that Ole will stick around for this season and possibly the next before the club and more pertinently the clubs sponsors decide something has to change at which point big money will be thrown at a trendy candidate.  The current parsimony suggests Ed is already planning to build up a war chest for the man after Ole and is happy to focus on cutting the wage bill and clearing the deadwood until that time. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2019 at 6:31 PM, Long n Left said:

 .....

 

Ki-Jana Hoever's development continues apace- 

 

Netherlands U15- Check 
Netherlands U16- Check. 
Netherlands U17- Check/ UEFA U17 European Champions- Check. 

 

And now his debut yesterday, under-aged, for the Netherlands U18. Kids gonna' be a top contributor here the next decade or so. 

 

Not normally one for Internationals, at all, but the Netherlands- Germany tonight is just one of those occasions that transcends mere sport and compels you to watch. And I think I'll catch the England U21's prior to that this tea-time if Rhian Brewster continues his comeback and rapid development with an under-age U21 debut at International level. 

 

Hail.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2019 at 9:20 PM, WelshSkinsFan said:

 

Right now it is a full on teardown and it was probably much needed. .....

 

For any top 4 hopes Leicester next time out is crucial. They're more than capable of going to Utd and winning. Don't need to be dropping yet more points in that one. 

As predicted the summer, Leicester look nailed on to break into the top 6. And currently the best bet to surpass even that and push for 4th after Tottenham. From most every standpoint, on and off the field, they are currently a ways ahead of Arsenal, Chelsea and Utd which is quite something and serious testament to the owners. Outside of the top 2, and maybe Tottenham, I don't think there's a better run football club out of all the 92. Just about to move into a superb new training complex. Super ground that both meets their needs and gives their support a terrific match-day experience. Excellent recruitment and sales. (Just HOW did no bigger club go in for Tielemans? Staggers me that.). 

Superbly run off the pitch. The best squad the league outside of the main 2 with the possible exception of Tottenham. And a real innovative, quality young coach. (Whatever anyone thinks of Rodgers his coaching ability and the brand of football he plays has never been in question).). Who's being allowed to do just that whilst the long-standing staff around him, and excellent recruitment structure, takes care of everything else. 

I think the big issue for whichever side drops out of the top 6, as I firmly believe Leicester will crack that and that's doubtless the minimum of their objectives this year; will be getting back into it given Leicester are so stable a football club. With such a great aged, deep group they can now afford to lose a big one every year and reinvest accordingly; that you can see Leicester kicking on over the next 5-years and making the 'big 6' a 7. 

Most interesting side to watch in the entire league for me outside of the obvious L'pool/ City title battle.

 

Hail. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

 

Not normally one for Internationals, at all, but the Netherlands- Germany tonight is just one of those occasions that transcends mere sport and compels you to watch. 

Cracking game that! 

 

Glad the Oranje were able to overcome a number of dubious refereeing decisions to take three points in Germany. Koeman really has this squad rounding into shape.

 

First half was a bit slow, Dutch dominating possession, but Germany getting the goal. Dutch then came out on the front foot from the start of the 2nd half. Even after taking a much deserved 2-1 lead, only to have it equalized by a truly head scratching penalty decision, they bounced right back, then put it to bed. Thanks Gini!

 

de Jong showing composure, Virgil and de Ligt being a wall, Gini pushing forward, and taking control, Babel showing more than he ever showed in a Red uniform, and Memphis causing problems. This is the new generation of football from Holland, and Koeman has them playing some dynamic ball.

 

Hup Holland Hup!

 

Now, back to drinking!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*edit* Wrong thread...was reacting to that nutmeg the Mexican player did. Ugly ass game USA looked lost.

Edited by abdcskins
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Cracking game that! 

 

Glad the Oranje were able to overcome a number of dubious refereeing decisions to take three points in Germany. Koeman really has this squad rounding into shape.

 

First half was a bit slow, Dutch dominating possession, but Germany getting the goal. Dutch then came out on the front foot from the start of the 2nd half. Even after taking a much deserved 2-1 lead, only to have it equalized by a truly head scratching penalty decision, they bounced right back, then put it to bed. Thanks Gini!

 

de Jong showing composure, Virgil and de Ligt being a wall, Gini pushing forward, and taking control, Babel showing more than he ever showed in a Red uniform, and Memphis causing problems. This is the new generation of football from Holland, and Koeman has them playing some dynamic ball.

 

Hup Holland Hup!

 

Now, back to drinking!

 

Made up for yer mate. Absolutely superb display against the Germans. AGAIN! 

 

I thought van Dijk was going to batter the ref the mad peno equaliser. And just how good was Gini? It was like watching prime Seedorf.

 

Brilliant to see the reemergence of the Dutch as a genuine International threat again under Red Ron. Particularly for those of us that remember the great Oranje sides and the enjoyment they gave.

 

Hail.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2019 at 2:22 AM, Long n Left said:

 .....

 

That Virgil van Dijk fella .....

First defender to win the PFA Player of the year since 2005. And only the 6th in the 46 years of the award- Check. 
First defender to win the PL Player of the Season award since 2012. And only the 4th in the awards 25 year history- Check. 
UEFA Champions League Winner- Check. 
First ever defender to win UEFA's Men's Player of the Year award. In the process receiving more votes Messi and Ronaldo combined- Check. 
UEFA defender of the season- Check. 
One of the final three nominees for the Ballon d'Or and heavy favourite to become the first defender to win since 2006. Which would make him only the 4th defender to ever be crowned the Worlds best player in the 63 years of the award. 

And now the recipient of a new 6-year, £200K a week contract extension. 

What an absolutely off the charts individual year the best defender in the World by a Country mile has had culminating in the awesome news that's he's joined most everyone at Anfield in being tied down for the next 5/6 years. 

I feel quite confident in saying he's already the best defender skill set wise the PL has ever seen. There's been absolutely fantastic CH's in their own right like Kompany, Terry, Adams, Vidic et al. But there's only Rio that remotely comes close to how effortlessly van Dijk goes about his work and just how easy it is to him. There's literally not a single flaw in his game. You want to pump balls in aerially? Sound, he'll win them all day long. Whilst being a serious threat the other end to score through the air off every set-piece. You want to try knock it in behind? Sound, he'll give you a 5-yard or more start and still run you down every time and beat you to the ball. Want to try take him on one-on-one and dribble past him? Good luck with that. Want to try physically out muscle him? Even better luck with that! Want to double up on him and isolate him on an island? Ask Tottenham how that worked out. Not only one of the most complete defensive defenders I've ever seen, but with his ridiculous ball skills and composure on the ball he could quite comfortably play further up the park. The preverbal Quarterback with a range of passing on a dime as good as anything any #10 you care to mention has. And the consummate leader who's always talking and organising to make everyone around him a better player and elevating their games. The mark of a true, genuine, all time great. 

He could honestly play for the next 10 years plus at the very top level if he so choses considering he rarely expands much energy in games as he reads the game so darn well he's rarely out of position to have to. 

Absolute Rolls Royce of a footballer. 

In L'pool lore, Alan Hansen was the original van Dijk. van Dijk's the best we've had since Hansen. Outside of one of the World's all time great CH's like a Baresi or Maldini, there's nobody the World over that you'd even consider to displace the Dutch colossus in that time. 

And he's now a Red for the next 6-years at least! 

This calls for one thing ..... TOWN! Until we can no longer stand up!

 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst we wait for 'proper' football to return, a fascinating video, off his YouTube page (https://www.youtube.com/user/Succeskultur/videos), from our Danish 'Throw-in Coach', Thomas Gronnemark. Who's just not long extended his consultancy with the club for a second time through this season- 
 


Who knew there were so many facets to a throw-in? (Which makes perfect sense when you think about it and the number of times they are used in a game. Just not something you ever think of the science behind them.). 

This is now a significant part of our training programme with Gronnemark coming in for a week each month (he also works with 4 other European clubs), to work across the different age levels. 

No surprise, with the type of person our manager is, but it's totally boss he and his staff are humble enough to openly embrace any new ideas/ suggestions that can improve the team and give them that competitive edge over opponents. However big or small.  

For Liverpool FC to now be leaders at the forefront of most things in today's game continues to put a big ass smile on your face from just HOW far we lagged behind for the vast majority of the PL era.

 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another Euro qualifier today for The Oranje. Glad to see where most outlets I’m reading, neither the national team, nor the fans, are taking Estonia lightly. Yeah, they got smashed 8-0 by Germany, but played two close contests with N. Ireland, and one with Belarus.

 

Getting the split with Germany after losing to them earlier in Holland was huge. Begin today by taking care of the lesser teams in the group, then do your bit against N. Ireland, who leads the group with 4 wins in 4 against the lower level teams, and we will be back on the international stage where there has been a lack of orange for too long.

 

Hup Holland Hup!

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2019 at 9:39 AM, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

 

That Virgil van Dijk fella .....

First defender to win the PFA Player of the year since 2005. And only the 6th in the 46 years of the award- Check. 
First defender to win the PL Player of the Season award since 2012. And only the 4th in the awards 25 year history- Check. 
UEFA Champions League Winner- Check. 
First ever defender to win UEFA's Men's Player of the Year award. In the process receiving more votes Messi and Ronaldo combined- Check. 
UEFA defender of the season- Check. 
One of the final three nominees for the Ballon d'Or and heavy favourite to become the first defender to win since 2006. Which would make him only the 4th defender to ever be crowned the Worlds best player in the 63 years of the award. 

And now the recipient of a new 6-year, £200K a week contract extension. 

What an absolutely off the charts individual year the best defender in the World by a Country mile has had culminating in the awesome news that's he's joined most everyone at Anfield in being tied down for the next 5/6 years. 

I feel quite confident in saying he's already the best defender skill set wise the PL has ever seen. There's been absolutely fantastic CH's in their own right like Kompany, Terry, Adams, Vidic et al. But there's only Rio that remotely comes close to how effortlessly van Dijk goes about his work and just how easy it is to him. There's literally not a single flaw in his game. You want to pump balls in aerially? Sound, he'll win them all day long. Whilst being a serious threat the other end to score through the air off every set-piece. You want to try knock it in behind? Sound, he'll give you a 5-yard or more start and still run you down every time and beat you to the ball. Want to try take him on one-on-one and dribble past him? Good luck with that. Want to try physically out muscle him? Even better luck with that! Want to double up on him and isolate him on an island? Ask Tottenham how that worked out. Not only one of the most complete defensive defenders I've ever seen, but with his ridiculous ball skills and composure on the ball he could quite comfortably play further up the park. The preverbal Quarterback with a range of passing on a dime as good as anything any #10 you care to mention has. And the consummate leader who's always talking and organising to make everyone around him a better player and elevating their games. The mark of a true, genuine, all time great. 

He could honestly play for the next 10 years plus at the very top level if he so choses considering he rarely expands much energy in games as he reads the game so darn well he's rarely out of position to have to. 

Absolute Rolls Royce of a footballer. 

In L'pool lore, Alan Hansen was the original van Dijk. van Dijk's the best we've had since Hansen. Outside of one of the World's all time great CH's like a Baresi or Maldini, there's nobody the World over that you'd even consider to displace the Dutch colossus in that time. 

And he's now a Red for the next 6-years at least! 

This calls for one thing ..... TOWN! Until we can no longer stand up!

 

Hail. 

 

Kompany knows. ;)

 

https://www.goal.com/en/news/kompany-names-van-dijk-as-best-centre-back-in-premier-league/fs9q298rsag21kuwh02v6dxci

 

Hail. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mafia contractors ay? .....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49672091

Continued disgrace that UEFA have relented AGAIN and let Napoli continue to play at that crumbling mess. All their European games should have been moved to Bologna as was initially agreed. (The official blurb from the club on safety warns supporters staying in Naples to not leave their hotel rooms for their own safety!!!!!). 

SO glad I'm swerving that moody, horrible S/hole next week. Couldn't pay me to go back to Naples. Twice is MORE than enough in that absolute cesspit of inhumanity. Hopefully the few that do go out return unscathed. (Side note- Amusing how all 2.5K or so tickets went in no time the other day. We'll do well to have 5/600 out there. Credit hunting at its finest.).

 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talking of tickets, another absolute joke organisation is the Football League. 

MK Dons tried to charge L'pool season ticket holders £ 6 less for the same tickets than members for the League Cup tie the end of the month. Which naturally caused some real fume. So, after consultation, both club's agreed to price all tickets in the middle at £25. But that apparently contravenes competition rules so the FL has forced the club to revert back to the original £22 price for seasonies/ £28 for members. 

L'pool are off-setting that by giving members a £6 voucher to use the ground but that's not the point. 

The FL needs to address its archaic rules.

 

Hail. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice piece for the Arsenal fans among our number-

 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/sep/12/dani-ceballos-arsenal-real-madrid-hardly-any-difference-anfield

Liverpool, Ceballos says, was quite a lesson. It takes him a moment to order his thoughts. “I’ve never seen anything like what I saw at Anfield; I haven’t seen a team that plays better, that presses like them, the way the fans carry them along.

“They take the air from you. You spend so much time defending and when you want to do something with the ball, when you want to breathe, they’re back on top of you. They’re very well-drilled.”



Those sort of comments from the opposition on Anfield and Klopp's L'pool are nottin new like. 

But it still never get's tiring to read the reverence we're held in once again.

Up the bad ass Reds! 

 

Hail. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To borrow a phrase from the head coach I worked under, Brendan Rogers pooped down his leg today but we’ll take it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that was totally unexpected. City blinking for the second time the opening 5 games. I fully expected both L'pool and City to be neck-and-neck on 15 points a-piece at this stage. 

But we'll take the very surprising, if very gratefully received, bonus of having a two game cushion this early to sit back with our feet up whilst the fume rolls down the other end the East Lancs. 

As for the mighty Reds- 

First this weeks admin: 

43 unbeaten in the league now at Anfield. (33 W/ 10 D.). 

With a current unbeaten run of 22 games. (18 W/ 4 D.). The longest under Jurgen. 

Club record consecutive winning league streak extended to 14. Moving us joint third as regards this in English top flight history with Arsenal's 2002 vintage. Only City this calendar year with 15, and their 2017 team with a record 18 straight, have more. BUT, this gang of super special Reds has become the first side to win 14 straight English top flight games scoring 2 or more in every game. 

We've now set a club record of 5 straight league wins to open a season in successive seasons. Something that's only been achieved twice before in English top flight history- Chelsea. (2009/10, 2010/11.). City. (2015/16, 2016/17.). 

Sadio becomes the first player to go 50 consecutive games unbeaten at the same ground in PL history. 

Salah watch- Messi-Mo is now upto 101 goal involvements (75 goals/ 26 assists) through 111 L'pool games. With 79 (58 goals/ 21 Assists) through 79 PL games. Beyond phenomenal. 

After a slow start, another routine L'pool win. You go behind to a belter goal like that, and you just shrug your shoulders and say 'Well that's mildly annoying.' Fully expecting these lads to come back and find a way to win. All changed, not least the crowd who were very subdued to our detriment (Saturday dinner KO's. What can I tell you?), when Bobby came on and perked everyone up. Almost his first touch he's winning it and playing that ball in for Sadio's second. The pure filth for the third is just ridiculous. Sensational display. As was Mo casually scampering through to slot whilst some poor Newcastle fella is left on his backside vainly trying to get near him. Shout outs to Gini, who was everywhere midfield, and Andy Robbo, who was back to his marauding best. 

Just another solid all round display and yet another 3 points. Par for the course to what we now are. The best team out there anywhere. 

Couple of negatives that I'd be remiss to not mention as they continue to nark the living P out of you- 

Low life, lower league mentality fanbases. This time Newcastle .... Aside from the fact you've just walked past food banks to get into the ground, Newcastle has a way higher unemployment rate and inner City poverty than Liverpool. Yet you think it's funny to sing the highly unoriginal 'Sign on?' AGAIN?!!!!! THINK hey bellends? This is 2019 for Pete's sake. Mocking poverty isn't big and it isn't clever. Particularly when you come from a City full of it. And the 'Steven Gerrard slip' song? Seriously. Jut what the F does that game have to do with you again? Rafa must be SO proud of yers ..... Here's hoping you F off back down the Championship where yers belong. 

VAR. Can we agree this is a ridiculous experiment and just bin it now? Exactly WHAT is the point, when a referee makes such a clear and obvious F up, after such a clear and obvious assault for a stonewall peno, of VAR if it's not going to do what it says on the tin and correct a CLEAR AND OBVIOUS mistake?!!!!! The sad thing in many ways was Sadio scoring the belting equaliser just after as it probably won't be discussed the media now when everyone should be screaming from the rooftops on the latest error that could have been very costly at that stage of the game. 

My only saving grace with VAR is the hope that it continues to be this bad, missing SUCH obvious game changing decisions, and they eventually pull it and spare us more carnage. 

Ta Norwich for rounding out a great weekend. Now onto Tuesday and the return of OUR competition! 

Up the 'We are the Champions, Champions of Europe!' Reds!

 

Hail. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Messi-Mo

 

As incredible as he's been, the comparison is still a stretch.

 

That being noted, though, if you're going to do it, how is it not Mo-ssi? 

 

Come on man! It's staring you right in the face!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ansu Fati > Messi.

 

Also, how can Pep win with only 1 billion pounds to spend? Norwich spends 8 million! It's not fair!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:

Ansu Fati > Messi.

 

They SAY he's 16, but he sure looks 21 to me, and for that matter, Frenkie de Jong is a 27 year old who was brought into La Masia when he was 8. Barca is clearly exploiting their ridiculous amount of income to secretly develop time distortion devices or something. 

 

They each had a goal and an assist in the first seven minutes of the match:

 

https://streamable.com/7iulu

 

https://streamable.com/fzoqn

 

In each case I think the assist was better than the goal, and Fati barely missed two more. I actually felt bad for the poor right back every time he had to try to keep up. Poor guy was getting embarrassed by a kid. Normally I don't call players "kid", but in this case it's actually true.

 

Unreal.

Edited by techboy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, FanboyOf91 said:

Ansu Fati > Messi.

 

 

Confirmed... more than 4 times better.

 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.