Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How have Leicester and Tottenham got away with 'only' 2-1 defeats? That's the current third-best side the Country. And what was the third-best side the league going into this season absolutely battered the last two home games. When did Tottenham get a goalie by the way? If it wasn't for Fabinho's complete dominance of that game and Trent's ridiculous crossing, Gazzaniga would have been the MOTM. Superb goalkeeping display from him. Must have been in double figures for saves made by the end. And how good was the Captain second half after a poor first? Not just his super equaliser. Drove us forward from the right time after time and organised the side brilliantly. The REAL sad thing is that it will have P off many (so-called) Reds that he did.

Could and should have been a far bigger scoreline but there's a delicious irony to get that rarest of rare things (despite the lazy, uneducated analysts still rolling it out like it happens every week), a Kop end penalty at Anfield for Liverpool FC. Particularly considering the game the other year when Tottenham's two dives resulted in them having more penalty's at Anfield in one game than this continually attacking L'pool side had all that season at home! Karma Mother F's!

Beat Villa next Sat'day and let's see what happens against City. The arl place will be rocking like a European night a week Sunday for that mammoth occasion.

Today's admin-

45 games and counting unbeaten at Fortress Anfield now. (35 W/ 10 D.).

Current unbeaten PL run extended to 27 games. (22 W/ 5 D.). Closing in on the club record 31 game unbeaten league streak.

The Egyptian Messiah-
118 L'pool games. 107 Goal Involvements. (79 Goals/ 28 Assists.).
83 L'pool PL games. 81 Goal Involvements. (59 Goals/ 22 Assists.).
Today bringing up his 50th Anfield goal in 58 home games. The second fastest in our illustrious history.

Roll on Wednesday and the next sacrificial victims from North London the League Cup and Arsenal. With a chance for the kids to shine again.

Up the 6 clear relentless Reds!

Hail. 

Just because our next manager (if I were a betting man) is always a fascinating listen- 

I love the fact that Kelleher for one has been told this is his competition. Dangles that carrot to know they go out and beat Arsenal, they'll be starting the quarter regardless. Then any potential semi on. 

Down to the unfortunate scheduling, ala the last round, tonight's EFL trophy game was a very young U18's side with the majority the 23's training with the first team for tomorrow so I'd wager 3 or 4 will roll over from MK Wimbledon and start again. Real good balance with the deep quality squad depth now to go far in this competition once again. 

Sidenote- I LOVE the 7:30 PM KO. (GMT).  To all you whippersnappers out there, that's when most all mid-week games used to kick pre the 'greed is good league.' 

Proper old school KO that. 

Up the trophy hungry Reds! 

Hail. 

So Harvey Elliott is in line to set another 'first' tonight.

After becoming the youngest ever player in both Fulham and the League Cup's history last September, to then follow that up by becoming the youngest ever player to appear in the Premier League last May. Through becoming the youngest ever player to start a competitive game for Liverpool Football Club in the last round of the League Cup down at MK Dons last month. (And the second youngest to ever wear our colours.). He now, if selected, will tonight become the youngest ever player to appear for L'pool at Anfield in our 127-year storied history.

I was really surprised more wasn't made of Harvey making the bench against Leicester the start of this month.

That's a ridiculous story in itself regardless. For a 16-year-old to earn that place in the European Champions 18, for a top PL game, on merit and not through injury, was massive news that madly went under the radar.

This is a madly, and regular unjustly, oft used term when it comes to many youngsters in this day and age. (Thank you Football Manager.). But this lad is a genuine wonderkind. A bona fide phenom whom I'm convinced isn't a mere 16 and a half haha. Nobody so young should be SO composed and unphased whatever the situation you drop them into.

Another piece of stupendous business from Edwards this past summer to both future proof ourselves and give us a bonus option in the here-and-now.

I couldn't imagine what emotions he must be experiencing right now to be sat on the verge of playing at a sold-out Anfield against Arsenal. If called upon, do tonight what you've done from the first day you arrived and immediately stepped straight into the first team up at Edingburgh against Napoli mate.

Continue to show you belong.

Hail. 

For any Arsenal fans who happen to be in this thread- 

Topical, as we face each other tonight in a big League Cup tie, but the irony of both Arsenal fans and certain ex-players anger at Xhaka's reaction against Palace isn't lost on many outside the club.

Last Sunday wasn't an isolated moment. It was, as you lads know, an accumulation of abuse that's built up on the Swiss. Not to condone his reaction by any stretch. (Which was unacceptable and showed he isn't captain material at all.). But he's only human with a breaking point at the end of the day.

When you boo your own players, and captain no less, and snarkily applaud him being subbed, on a consistent basis; it's more than a tad hypocritical to fume when he snaps and reacts like that.

Enjoy the game tonight. May the best team prevail.

Hail. 

I tried when I got in last night to write on last nights mad awesomeness. I tried again this morning. Let's give at third go whilst I have some downtime-

Anfield, Under the lights. Big cup night. Liverpool go two behind. Not once, but twice. Pull it back to 4-4, then fall behind again. A rip-roaring, end-to-end game full of passion, insane goals, and some absolutely horrific defensive play. They enter injury time on the verge of going out. But this Liverpool's different. This Liverpool is Klopp's L'pool who has the belief of the packed stadium roaring them on and their never-say-die fighting spirit bags them another stupendous stoppage-time goal to save the game and keep them in the competition. Then they step up and complete the job on penalties to the scene of lads celebrating, on and off the field, like it was the PL and CL rolled into one they'd just won .....

A scene from many a massive European night over the past 4 years with Kloppo's mentality monsters overturning some (perceived) far superior team right?

Except this was Jurgens Juniors and back end squad players badly in need of game time. 5 kids starting, with a grand total of 3 first team starts and 4 appearances between them. A bench made up, Adrian aside, of complete novices including another 16 and 18-year-old with a grand total of 1 U23 game between them. With Arsenal cast as the superior team on the night containing two World Cup winners, and a much stronger, first-team experienced XI and bench.

Which all lead to honestly one of the most exciting nights at the match in eons. Which is saying something from a Liverpudlian who's had over 4 years of ridiculously exciting, heart-thumping nights at the match under the mad German btard!

The pride in what those young lads, who, Oxo-Chambo and Origi aside (who even with their belter goals had pretty non-descript overall games), COMPLETELY put their senior compatriots to shame. It was just one of those nights where analysing/ getting annoyed et al at the mistakes wasn't applicable and you just got emersed in the sheer enjoyment of an absolute belter game of football and the pride at the character and commitment of the young guns to come out on top. With the absolute fairytale of a proper Scouse Red bagging the winner, in front of the Kop, in his first proper game at Anfield. Boys own stuff.

Of Klopp's kids-

I thought Kelleher did sound in nets Which is mad to say when he conceded 5. Made some smart saves. Should have pushed them wider like but that will come. But then if those sleeping in front would have reacted they would have looked better.

Sepp was the one who looked out of place. The first half, in particular, he was the preverbal 'deer in the headlights.' He improved and settled the longer the game went on, but he looked far from first-team ready at this stage. But then if Matip doesn't go down, Lovren plays and he's still brought on slowly watching from the bench. Sidenote- Sepp's play, and the well off it Milner being so wide, contributed to Joe having an up and down game as he was noticeably trying to walk van den Berg through the game and cover for him. When he's struggling for rhythm himself with a lack of consistent games, doing the job of two men makes it all the harder so I'd give Gomez a pass for most of last nights defensive carnage.

Neco Williams put himself about defensively in his first senior start from nowhere. And used the ball really intelligently too with some belter outs down the line. The joy on his face at setting u the equaliser was a sight to behold.

Ball just wouldn't run for Brewster but, like all the others, he never hid and was constantly working and probing. And I just LOVED that he was the first going mad and congratulating every penalty taker after they scored. The joy and commitment of the young lads to win summed up right there. Disgracefull the kicking he got from Arsenal too that Marriner let go unpunished. He'll have been the ice bath after that game that's for sure.

And I'm still not having it Harvey Elliott is 16 and a half. Nerves of F steel that kid. Done brilliant to win the penalty. Put over some great balls and run himself to cramp the full 90. Nottin but the highest praise there.

And then the proudest moment of a night of super poud moments. The next young Scouser in line Curtis Jones coming on and showing the surprisingly non-entity Keita up massively by first being heavily involved off the bench when he came on driving us forward. And then having the moment of moments for a local lad to score the winner, in front of the Kop, to a crescendo of noise and mad celebrations, taking his home time club through to the quarters.

Memories that these lads will NEVER forget of their first fully competitive game at Anfield being such a mad yet awesomely brilliant night of unforgettable football. A night full of shockingly bad defending, mainly through the naivety of youth, but their full-on commitment to finding a way, just like Jurgens instilled through the whole football club, and fight tooth-and-nail to the death, outweighed any negatives on just a superbly exciting game of togger that reminded you why you fell in love with this game to begin with.

And on a personal note, I've FINALLY seen 10 goals in a game of football. I seemed to have been stuck on 9 forever. Seen a slew of  5-4's (Leeds/ Alaves et al), 6-3's (Sion), 3-6 Arsenal, 9-0 Palace, a lifetime of 9 goal games. But never ten. Now, finally, that zenith has been reached! TEN!!!!! Just adds to a night nobody's forgetting anytime soon. 

As uninspiring as the draw was personally, roll on Villa and the next chapter in the youngster's domestic cup odyssey this season.

It's already turning into one heck of a fun ride.

Up the Mentally Monster (Youth Style!) Reds!

We always find a way!

Hail. 

• Like 1

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/372222-club-statement-carabao-cup-aston-villa

When I should be celebrating almost certain qualification in Europe, I'm left still fuming about the earlier League Cup disgrace. 

All anyone has been talking about, both before and post-match tonight, hasn't been the Genk game. (Not that there was much to talk about there any way in what was, in effect, a half baked training game outing. Which is sound in itself with little exerted and players rested before City. Along with as good as guaranteeing qualification. Just little of note to discuss from the actual game.).

But it's the Villa disgrace that's occupying everyone's minds.

In an ideal World, the common consensus is for L'pool to return any tickets. But that sadly won't happen. And then it would be for a complete boycott. But again, people who don't normally get a chance to go would still take them so it would completely defeat the object. Not one word in either the EFL or L'pool's statement acknowledges the actual fans and all the implications therein. F the lads who are going out to Qatar and have already booked. They now get to totally miss what is often the best round of the league cup save for the final. F anyone not going who chose to go to Villa and will now doubtless get skanked full price to see what may well amount to a seriously young U18 side. F the complications of what happens with the credit for this game with I've no doubt anyone that's out in Qatar just buying a kids ticket for the Villa game they can't attend to keep the credit. Basically F the fans as per.

And that's before you even get into the absurd ridiculousness of forcing us into this. And then trying to sell it by the 'integrity of the competition' being kept intact. How the F they reason that is anyone's guess?

No secret I love the League Cup, It's been the backbone of a heck of a lot of this clubs success and I'd defend what a major competition it still is to win to any fan brought up in this era where it's been scandalously demeaned. But when they go do things like this, when they've known from the beginning of the season that this was a distinct possibility and didn't put any contingency in place to deal with that, it's hard to not see the League Cup as a complete joke.

Which the EFL have made it regardless of whether we go through at Villa or not.

Hail. 

• Thanks 1

This whole F up situation of two games in less than 22 hours, on two different Continents, gets better and better.

FIFA rules dictate the 20-man squad for the Club World Cup have to be in place in Qatar a full three days prior to their semi-final fixture. If someone isn’t there then, they aren’t in the squad list for the two-game trip. So split squads with lads travelling out after Villa isn't happening.

And yet the EFL are happy that the 'Integrity of the competition' has been upheld with L'pool's assurances that they'll be 'committing to fielding a team that is largely consistent with those that have participated in earlier rounds of this season’s competition.'

Which couldn't be further from the truth of the side we're now being forced to play. in all likelihood with the veteran first teasers all in Qatar. Along with the top kids who would have benefited massively from the experience of being away in Doha and being part of that squad at the Club World Cup, and in so doing allowing for more first-team rotation from the semi to the final, now having to miss out. Oh yeah, after their own rules stating you should play as full strength a side as available each round. (STOP laughing at the back.).

To then go on and wish us well in the CWC representing the English game was the coup de grâce in this complete P taking disgrace.

I shouldn't be, but I'm still stunned that they've railroaded the football club into this carnage and I'd 100% be behind us pulling out of the League Cup still at this stage and not even entering it next season if we're in the CWC again (or any other English club wins the European Cup this year for that matter), and there's still no contingency built into the League Cup schedule.

That's how strongly I feel about this ludicrous outcome.

Hail. 

• Like 1

Some rather silly questions from Shreeves aside, I love the answer on the significance of Sunday. 'Want-to-win game.'  That sums it up perfectly. As it does EVERY game.

NO game the start of November, a little under a third of the season in, is either 'Must wi!/ Mustn't lose!' Not least when you hold a surprising 2 game lead to this point.

And a nice segue the end of that to Sean Cox visiting Anfield for the first time since the Roma assault 2 years ago that irrevocably changed his family's lives forever. Be nice if the City fans could consider that Sunday and leave singing about him 'being battered in the streets' alone for once.

Hail. 

• Like 1
1 more sleep for the mad build-up to this one to finally stop and the battle be decided on the pitch. 

Personally, I'm fully expecting a real tight, cagey affair like last season Sunday. 

Even given City's absolutely appalling record at Anfield, which is as psychological as our own at Old Trafford, there's absolutely nottin to separate these two sides. Who are not only the two clear best sides in England, but, let's tell it like it is, the two top teams across all of Europe by some distance. 

Neither side 'need' to win per se. Going in, 6 points is either a superbly unexpected bonus. Or a very manageable gap less than a third of the season in. Even if we come out victorious and extend that lead to three games, I fully expect there to be no more than 1-3 points in it come the end of the final game of the season. And I wouldn't like to call who will end up on the better side of that. No doubt the media, and, naturally, many fans, will get totally swept away in that scenario and proclaim L'pool as Champions already. But no league EVER got boxed 12 games into a season with still 7 long, hard months left to get through and 78 points still on the board. 

Talking of the media, this narrative being spun on City's injuries and L'pool having no better opportunity to beat them/ oh woe City et al, is as utter ________ as those trying to hand L'pool the title already and the equal b/s about 'bottling' that they are itching for if they don't win the league. ANY XI that Pep starts with Sunday is liable to be upward of £400 million or over worth of talent regardless. 

Oh woe City indeed. *Eyeroll. 

All the above said it would be nice from the psychological standpoint to get one over on them first and leave them with the International break to stew on it and all the hype that will come from it. 

One things for sure, Anfield will be off the charts European wild, And everyone knows the massive difference-maker that can be. £terling , for example, is undoubtedly in the top 5 players across the planet right now. But he completely wilts and disappears every time back at Anfield under that intensity. As countless World Class players have over the years. So hopefully we feed off that, as much as it will get on top for City, and send out another massive statement in what's set up to be a record-equalling occasion. 

I'll be made up with a draw and maintaining that two-game lead over them nobody was expecting at this stage of the season. 

But I'll be screaming myself hoarse creating memories money just can't buy trying to turn that into a 3 game gap.  

All that said about nottin getting decided on Sunday avvy ....

'And now you're gonna' believe us ......'

Up the F Mustard Reds!

Hail. 
  • Like 1

There's something unquantifiable about knowing you're definitively the best of the best. To try put that feeling into words, knowing there's NO team in football, ANYWHERE, that can live with you. Whatever they try do to stop you. The team. The manager. The fans. All as one, Shankly's 'Holy Trinity.' In one stupendous big Red juggernaut who come together as one entity and turn it on when it matters most and continue to set ridiculous record after ridiculous record. That feeling of total belief in your team, and their utter superiority at this game, EVERY time they step on the field, to not worry and know they 'have this', that they'll 'find a way' .....

And make NO mistake, there's NO football team currently on this planet anything like this ridiculous, RIDICULOUS gang of Reds. Yesterday, the Champions of Europe gave the Champions of England a lesson where it matters most. On the actual field of play. In what, right now, is the biggest domestic football game on the planet. Between the two best teams by a Country mile on this planet. The stats might suggest otherwise, but L'pool was always one move ahead in a game of the highest level chess imaginable orchestrated by the two highest Grandmasters currently managing on the planet who stand comparison with most in any era.

Let's get the handball 'controversy' out of the way as there's a ridiculously big issue being made out of it. Whether you agree Silva's handball should have been called or not (I don't. But that's the rules now on handball. Accidental has been removed from the equation), they've already clarified had City scored from it, it would have been disallowed. So at worst, if you believe Trent should then have been pulled up for handball (again, I don't. Where exactly are his arms meant to go? Try running full pelt and then stopping/ turning like that and see where your arms naturally end up. 'Unnatural position' indeed Shearer on MOTD last night yer F blert yer); the WORST that would have happened would have been Fabinho's ridiculous strike chalked off and a free-kick to L'pool back their own area.

But that shouldn't detract from a marvellous game of top-level football which L'pool ultimately fully deserved to win. Jam-packed full of absolutely top drawer individual performances that collectively kept the team one step ahead of everything City tried to do all game. From the rocks at CH of van Dijk and Lovren, who got his body in the way of everything in a superb display of pure defending. The two #10's we continue to roll out at FB who are dominating this position like no other pairing in living memory. Through the (oft absolutely ridiculously maligned, by many who don't understand just HOW integral they are to most EVERYTHING we do) imperious midfield who were EVERYWHERE on the pitch and completely dominated their individual and collective battles. (Talking of oft-maligned, the absolutely magnificent Captain was my MOTM. He covered EVERY blade of grass and ran himself into the ground for the cause yet again yesterday. But he's not a proper leader like ..... ). Through the best front three on the planet who are absolutely unplayable when they're totally 'on it' like yesterday. All orchestrated by a manager as calm and relaxed at what he's created as I think I've ever seen him. Whilst his opposite number was going apoplectic in rage next to him at not being able to handle his side falling to the one side that's actually better than his own. With nottin like the spend in a way that he continues to find unfathomable? To the point, anyone and everyone (yesterday the officials. 'Ask Mike Riley' indeed ..... ) are getting it for being against his team. The contrast between the two couldn't have been more stark.

46 games in a row unbeaten at fortress Anfield. 29 league games unbeaten and counting. Only 1 loss in the last FIFTY PL games ..... I've said this many times on these here pages but this is not only the best L'pool side I've ever had the privilege of watching in my nigh on 40 years going the match. But it's RIGHT up there among the very best sides of ANY club through that time in ANY Country. Absolutely phenomenal gang of Reds who are nowhere near their best right now. Yet they're sat with 34 points out 36 and a stupendous NINE point gap to the only realistic challengers we'll have this season. All orchestrated by well arguably the best manager on the planet who's now racked up his 8th win against his great opponent from down the other end the East Lancs. When I think I'm correct in saying NO other manager even has a winning record against Pep. Never mind 8 of them!

Yesterday doesn't guarantee the league by any way, shape or form. NO league was ever won in November after 12 games with 78 points still to play for. Not least when the challengers are the reigning Champions and the second-best side to yourselves in all of Europe. There's a LONG way to go before we can start talking about that.

But it sure was a bloody big stepping stone in the right direction to that end. 26 more boys. 26 more.

Following the undeniable best side on the planet ..... Indescribable just how that feels.

What a time to be alive. What a time to be a Liverpudlian.

Up the Best of the VERY Best Reds!

Hail. 

• Thanks 1

@Long n Left

HOLA! Ki-Jana Hoever and his Jong Oranje compadres have a U17 World Cup semi on Thursday. 

I honestly thought they'd gone out after heavily losing the first two group games and never checked again after that. 

Brilliant to find out.  Here's to him following in Brewster's footsteps from 2 years ago and being a U17 World Champion next Sunday. 

Hail. 

• Thanks 1

I’ve been watching a lot of Chelsea recently with Pulisic moving over there. I realized the last couple of weeks how much I have thoroughly enjoyed watching their games in stark contrast to the lack of fun that is Everton. The quality is just so much higher in basically every aspect, it makes me sad to think about. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This will be lost on the agenda boys, this time in the form of the base laziness of many in the British media who pander to the base ignorance of many opposition fans on social media; but this is a pertinent piece from Rory Smith on one of the most detailed, prepared, tactical coaches out there-

Hail. 

• Thanks 1