Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

.....FYSA, boys... Liverpool vs Brondby LIVE tomorrow at 1100am on CSNWashington. 642 for you DirecTV subscribers. Looks like an extended lunch for your boy! :D

I am SO envious today of Big Steve and a few others I know who've gone out to Denmark. (Via Norway. But when free accommodation with copious amounts of ale is on offer from the Norwegians we know that's what you have to do. :)

When I went out to the UEFA cup tie against Bronby back in '95 or so, they moved it to the Parken (Denmarks National stadium.). This game is at Bronby. Looks a nice ground too. Would of loved to of experienced that. I have a thing for smaller grounds. The more obscure the better

Props to L'pool for once for a Scandinavian game again. They always used to be a staple for our thousands of Scandinavian fans. As did a tour of Ireland for our many fans across the water. Now it's all about America or the Far East and whomever will pay us the most bucks. (We don't accept a friendly now 9 times out of 10 for less than a million in appearance fees.).

Changed times and not always for the better.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

alright. wtf is rodgers and company doing looking at average players on mid-table teams? i get that we need to bolster the ranks a bit with champions league play, but with suarez's £75 plus whatever kitty rodgers had going into the window, why is he quibbling over a relatively minor transfer fee difference for moreno when the back up plan is £10m+ fee for davies? ugh. personally, i'd rather overspend a bit on the players that rodgers wants than to pinch pennies for 2nd/3rd tier players.

Chelsea never stops improving.... **** them

They did their shopping at Atletico Madrid, Filipe Luis: I don't like brasilians defensive players, Dutch and Argentinians are much better and much reliable. Diego Costa had a crappy WC, we will see if he can adapt to the Premier League.

The greatest move was to get rid of Luiz for €50 millions, Qataris are idiots.

Now they are linked with PSG for Rabiot, a young unproven but talented middfield. If Mourhino can beat Arsène to sign Khedira that will be the best addition to the team.

Apparently Arsenal already agreed to Khedira's fee already.

Apparently. He's demanding 150k pounds per week which seems to be the hold-up. Not too sure how I'd feel about the signing...he's not exactly a bone-crusher of a DMF but sure beats the hell out of Arteta back there.

Apparently. He's demanding 150k pounds per week which seems to be the hold-up. Not too sure how I'd feel about the signing...he's not exactly a bone-crusher of a DMF but sure beats the hell out of Arteta back there.

the bone-crusher DM doesn't exist in the game now, looking at competitors:

Citeh: Toure

Chelsea: Lampard, Matic, Ramires

Bayern: Kroos, Schweinsteiger

Dortmund: Gundogan, Kehl

Barca: Busquets

RM: Xabi and Modric(!)

In that group, only Kehl seems to be an old-school tough guy. The other guys are known because they don't necessasrily tackle and win balls but what they contribute to the attack.

the bone-crusher DM doesn't exist in the game now, looking at competitors:

Citeh: Toure

Chelsea: Lampard, Matic, Ramires

Bayern: Kroos, Schweinsteiger

Dortmund: Gundogan, Kehl

Barca: Busquets

RM: Xabi and Modric(!)

In that group, only Kehl seems to be an old-school tough guy. The other guys are known because they don't necessasrily tackle and win balls but what they contribute to the attack.

I see your point but Toure, Fernandinho, and Matic could all fit the bill. They're big, physical guys who push other players off the ball with ease. I still believe Arsenal would be better served with a bruiser back there. We struggle to match opponents' physicality. I guess it's been that way for some time now. Still don't understand why we let Song walk.

I see your point but Toure, Fernandinho, and Matic could all fit the bill. They're big, physical guys who push other players off the ball with ease. I still believe Arsenal would be better served with a bruiser back there. We struggle to match opponents' physicality. I guess it's been that way for some time now. Still don't understand why we let Song walk.

Right. Defensively, do you think Flam is that guy?

I think he's up there in terms of defensive duties with the guys you listed, but he contributes very little on the attack. After seeing Fernandinho in the WC, I think I might prefer Flam.

Right. Defensively, do you think Flam is that guy?

I think he's up there in terms of defensive duties with the guys you listed, but he contributes very little on the attack. After seeing Fernandinho in the WC, I think I might prefer Flam.

Flam is good because he's aggressive and a good tackler. But sometimes he can be too aggressive and border on recklessness, although I guess that is commonplace for many DMFs. The biggest problem with Flam is that he is not really a physical presence and, as you said, does not provide much going forward (although he's not terrible in that respect).

I do think that a midfield 3 with Khedira, Ramsey, Özil would be quite formidable. Enough to match wits with the big clubs' midfields...just not sure how much Khedira would help to prevent those nightmarish scorelines we suffered last year vs LFC, Man $hitty, Chelski. You could say some of them were the BFG's fault due to his lack of pace but a lot of those goals we surrendered were due to lack of focus and organization.

So this game stems from the Danny Agger transfer back in '06? And only now we've found a slot for it? Weird one. But that explains such a small European friendly in this day and age.

Still boss for the Scandinavian hoards there in their thousands.

Surprised none of the 4 new signings. Wonder if I'll get to see them Preston Saturday? Interesting to see how both Rossiter and Teixiera do. They've been getting more buzz than any of the other kids.

Fun late afternoon in glorious sunshine. Should be a good work out this that's started brightly.

Hail.

alright. wtf is rodgers and company doing looking at average players on mid-table teams? i get that we need to bolster the ranks a bit with champions league play, but with suarez's £75 plus whatever kitty rodgers had going into the window, why is he quibbling over a relatively minor transfer fee difference for moreno when the back up plan is £10m+ fee for davies? ugh. personally, i'd rather overspend a bit on the players that rodgers wants than to pinch pennies for 2nd/3rd tier players.

Less reading of speculation and more waiting for the club to make a signing that may well pleasantly surprise you would make your summer much less stressful.

In this day and age, take EVERY bit of speculation with a pinch of salt. Davis is an easy link because of the Swansea connection to the manager. I'll be SHOCKED if he's anywhere other than Swansea opening day. Let alone at Anfield.

Hail.

Decent first run out.

Couple of great Bronby goals. (Although the defending left a LOT to be desired on both.). Great run from Ibe for the equaliser. He continues to look a fantastic prospect but still FAR too raw for the first team. Hopefully another season on loan somewhere this year for Jordan to aid his development. Good pace to the game. Nice late sunny afternoon. Great atmosphere in a nice little stadium.

Pleasant pre-season outing to watch. Lots of mistakes and a defeat interspersed with some good play. But ALL that matters is Southampton and building up fitness and chemistry again for opening day.

Oh yeah, Brad Jones is stil worse than ****e.

Hail.

• Like 1

Less reading of speculation and more waiting for the club to make a signing that may well pleasantly surprise you would make your summer much less stressful.

In this day and age, take EVERY bit of speculation with a pinch of salt. Davis is an easy link because of the Swansea connection to the manager. I'll be SHOCKED if he's anywhere other than Swansea opening day. Let alone at Anfield.

Hail.

Agreed. I do find it funny that he is linked to 2 teams. First he was linked to Liverpool and then surprisingly enough he was linked to Tottenham. Do the Spurs even have scouts?

• Like 1

Pleasant pre-season outing to watch. Lots of mistakes and a defeat interspersed with some good play. But ALL that matters is Southampton and building up fitness and chemistry again for opening day.

Oh yeah, Brad Jones is stil worse than ****e.

Hail.

Skrtel just looked really good (naturally) against a Superliga side... but still.

Ibe is ready for the big club. Coutinho looks sharp. Flanno has gained some weight and looks good. Borini needs to get his chemistry down. Brad Smith... eh... 50/50 on.

Other than that... the only things that came out of this pre-season match for me were that Martin Kelly sucks and Daniel Agger may be the most overrated CB on this board. Dissappointing showing from Widsom. This is it for him imo.

Great to see Reds on the pitch again. And great to have CSNWashington carry LFC TV for pre and post match!

Agreed. I do find it funny that he is linked to 2 teams. First he was linked to Liverpool and then surprisingly enough he was linked to Tottenham. Do the Spurs even have scouts?

Preston North End match is 0900 on Saturday morning.  CSNWashington again. :D

Good news for my fellow American Reds. The NBC/NBCSports schedule (through November) is out and Liverpool is on TV for all but 3 games.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/16/premier-league-2014-15-tv-schedule-for-nbc-sports-group/?utm_source=FB%20-%20NBC%20Sports%20-%20NBC%20Sports%20Soccer&utm_network=facebook&utm_post=2863893&utm_tags=

Get DirecTV and you get all of the games with the extra time channels. 

Skrtel just looked really good (naturally) against a Superliga side... but still.

Ibe is ready for the big club. Coutinho looks sharp. Flanno has gained some weight and looks good. Borini needs to get his chemistry down. Brad Smith... eh... 50/50 on.

Other than that... the only things that came out of this pre-season match for me were that Martin Kelly sucks and Daniel Agger may be the most overrated CB on this board. Dissappointing showing from Widsom. This is it for him imo.

Great to see Reds on the pitch again. And great to have CSNWashington carry LFC TV for pre and post match!

I have DVR'd the game and will be able to watch it tonight, but I refuse to believe the Skrts played better than Agger and Wisdom! Did Ilori play? I think he may be the in-house solution to Liverpool's defensive woes...

Get DirecTV and you get all of the games with the extra time channels. 

then I won't have an excuse to got to the bar to watch the games...

Preston North End match is 0900 on Saturday morning.  CSNWashington again. :D

Better not be as I don't catch a train to Preston until 09:28 Saturday morning,  :lol:

HAil. 

I have DVR'd the game and will be able to watch it tonight, but I refuse to believe the Skrts played better than Agger and Wisdom! Did Ilori play? I think he may be the in-house solution to Liverpool's defensive woes...

Looked like Ilori may of pulled a hammy. He hobbled off after 20 minutes or so. Hopefully just a pulled muscle this early. Looked what he is until then. Raw, inexperienced and FAR from ready for the first team. Ibe is SO much like McManaman. Tricky as all heck, like a whippet. Can't finish for ****. Needs another season out on loan somewhere ideally. 

Pre-season man. Reading much of anything into anything is a fruitless exercise. 

ALL that matters is Southampton. 

Hail. 

• Like 1