Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

So Tottenham are 'annoyed and disappointed' in Willan and Chelsea.  

Not so fun when it happens to you huh?

Hail. 

Did they officially agree to let Bale go to Madrid already?

That would be epic...

Did they officially agree to let Bale go to Madrid already?

That would be epic...

Well all reports point to the deal being imminent with all party's currently deep in final negotiations. 

Willian has agreed terms with Chelsea and the deals been agreed with Anzhi subject to a medical and work permit. 

Tottenham's anger over this is priceless in its irony.  :lol:

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

So Tottenham are 'annoyed and disappointed' in Willan and Chelsea.  

Not so fun when it happens to you huh?

Hail. 

I'm missing the reference.

Nice article on John Barnes in the Guardian for you Liverpool guys:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2013/aug/22/on-second-thoughts-john-barnes

There is a tendency in English football to judge players on their consistency over many years. Players such as Bobby Moore, Bryan Robson and Gary Lineker are looked on favourably for their ability to maintain high standards over a long period of time. But it's easy to assess performance when you have simplistic, almost binary, expectations of a footballer. Moore stopped attacks, Robson roared and Lineker scored goals. Do these things and earn praise. Easy.

But sometimes a player comes along who doesn't fit the mould. English football in the 1980s and 1990s wasn't ready for John Barnes. When he emerged at Second Division Watford in 1981 an inflexible 4-4-2 was de rigueur. The terraces pulsated with a dark and brooding tribalism. Supporters wanted the 11 men who represented them to do so in warrior-like fashion.

The tricky wingers of the 60s and 70s were a dying breed. Physicality, perhaps encouraged by a failing youth system and the macho image of the English game, was seen as the way forward. The bigger you were the better you were. There were countless stories of players being passed over at youth level due to their short stature – Peter Beardsley being a chief example. At almost 6ft Barnes never had this problem. And having arrived in England from Jamaica at 15, he also avoided having the application-before-expression mentality drummed into him that hindered many a talented player's career at the time.

But his blend of power and poise made him hard to pigeonhole. He wouldn't just run. He'd dangle the carrot and wait for the bite, before gliding away and then slowing down again to weigh up his options 

. He was a forward comprised of physicality and cerebral brilliance in equal measure.

He passed the ball short. And moved. And passed it again. His strength gave him the ability to hold on to the ball and wait for the opposing team's formation to shift, 

. The end product was always so graceful. Even if Barnes had just shrugged off a defender in a race to the byline, the resulting cross would be the flick of an artist's brush rather than a crude arrow drawn on a chalkboard. When he scored, he did so by placing the ball with calculated accuracy.
  • Like 1

Said it before and I'll say it again on here. John Barnes is the most naturally gifted player to ever play for Liverpool IMHO and up there with ANYTHING England has ever produced. The Brazilian in the England shirt. 

Kenny's my favourite all time red, for all he means to the club and City. But 'Digger' Barnes was something else. For those first two or three years he was untouchable anywhere in Europe. Maradona, Gullit et all be damned. It was 'Give it Barnsie, He'll either beat five men and score himself. Or he'll beat five men and put it on a plate for Aldo.' He was majestic coming down that left wing. He just used to glide past players. And he was a stocky fella too which made his graceful, effortless balance even more staggering. And then when his legs went he moved into the middle and totally dictated games with his passing ability at the latter end of his career. World, World class footballer. The best I've ever seen live and, IMHO, the most talented this club has ever had on it's books. Which is saying something given all the top level talent that's graced the shirt over the years. He'd everything. Two brilliant feet. Pace. Power. And to say he was the wizard of the dribble is an understatement. The ball was permanently glued to his foot. Best crosser of a ball I've ever seen. Wizard of a free kick. Brilliant in the air. Just a sublime, World class footballer and one of Liverpools all time greats.  He also broke the racism barrier with us. We were, back in the dark days, one of the worst for abusing opposing black players. But Barnes was that good, you couldn't help but take to him. I remember one of his early games with the opposition fans (Coventry maybe?) singing 'Who's the Scouser in the black' in mocked abuse at the ref. supposedly favouring Liverpool, to which came an instant reply of 'Johnie Barnes, Johnie, Barnes, Johnie Barnes .... ' It was like he was our black man and the tide finally turned. You wanted to go the match just to see him. Gates locked a few hours before kick-off. Kenny's great '88 side is arguably this Country's finest ever side. Yet he stood out above all others. Living LEGEND!

If John Barnes was playing today, the starting money would make the Bale price tag look small time.

Thanks for that E. Happy, happy memories. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

Barnes was amazing before he got that Achilles injury.

There was a Lge Cup tie (back when every club treated the competition deadly serious) against Arsenal when he scored a fantastic goal from the half way line at Anfield. (I think it's on one of the clips.). And then Davie Rocastle, another tremendously gifted player who I loved watching and who was a tragic loss to the game with his sad passing scored a wonderful individual goal himself to have it finish 1-1. Cue a tense 0-0 replay in front of 54,000 at Highbury, and then a third game at Villa Park which we one 2-1 in an absolutely sublime game of football that unless you were there (and there was only about 24/25 thousand that cold night in Birmingham) you missed out on a feast of attacking football as it wasn't televised. 

Made me think of Arsenal and two top teams at the top of their game. You deserved the first game. The second was a tight draw. And the third we gave a terrific showing after going behind to a Merson goal I seem to remember. 

Hail. 

*Edit* Found it! Purely for the indulgence of Arsenal and Liverpool fans:

Rocky's goal is around the 4:13 mark:

I'd forgotten Marwood had a perfectly good winner disallowed late. 

The 2nd replay at Villa Park. Terrific game and performance:

Hail. 

• Like 1

I'm bored this Friday night.

So bored I just tried totting up the number of grounds I've seen Liverpool play at. 

I reckon I'm on 96 different stadiums, in 12 different Countries taking in 8 Capital city's. And two indoor arena's if they count.  :lol: Less than I thought although I've been very hit and miss the last 5 years or so.

I also reckon if it wasn't for soccer I'd be a very rich man now.  :angry:

Quite a difference to American sports huh? With no Europe, barring any new grounds in the cups this year maybe I can make 97, 98 and 99 Stateside next summer.  :)

Hail. 

• Like 1

Congrats Richmond. And good luck. 

I just realised those Lge Cup games above were 25 years ago this November. Man alive time flys by. The sad thing is I can remember back then like it was yesterday. But ask me a question on the Premiership years and I'm struggling big time. Lol. 

Hail. 

Yeah definitely excited about it.  Had multiple teams messaging me with interests but the issue was I felt I'd end up on the bench because they were getting such big rosters focused on attacking.  The team I went with is a modest roster in need of a natural scorer to play alongside one of their good scorers.  Since I'm very random in my runs (sometimes I'm pushing offiside lines while sometimes I'm entering the box late for a follow up chance) it seems I'll have quite a bit of flexibility.  Plus ask any natural scorer.  They don't like sitting on the bench especially when the games is hanging there in the balance.  (Its like a basketball player watching the clock run down and has to sit there to helplessly on the bench when he believes he could make a difference)

.....  Plus ask any natural scorer.  They don't like sitting on the bench especially when the games is hanging there in the balance.  (Its like a basketball player watching the clock run down and has to sit there to helplessly on the bench when he believes he could make a difference)

Yeah. Just ask Rooney. 

Did I just go there?  :P

Hail. 

Yeah. Just ask Rooney. 

Did I just go there?  :P

Hail. 

eh its whatever.  I mean if he wants to leave let him go.  No point in having a disgruntled player.   Is it a loss? yeah.  Will we be ok? Yep.  Funny enough Rooney might be gone and Ronaldo could be back at Utd(It really looks like he's leaving Madrid).  Now who could have possibly guessed that?

Would love more in the way of goal differential at the moment... but 6 pts is 6 pts. ;)

And Simon Mignolet is the TRUTH!  Pepe doesn't make that save on Benteke.  Enrique had a much better game today, as well.  A little pressure by signing the Frenchman may be solid.  Tourre with another strong effort.

Coutinho was off from the start of the game today, but we were able to weather that storm and BR got him out of there when it was the right time for a defensive sub.

What more can be said about Sturridge?  What a player.

YNWA!

Quite a difference to American sports huh? With no Europe, barring any new grounds in the cups this year maybe I can make 97, 98 and 99 Stateside next summer.  :)

Hail. 

If you are here at all in the fall, let me know and we'll work something out ;)

• Like 1

I thought we made real hard work of a game that should of been a lot easier against a very young and inexperienced Villa side. 

Totally in control in the first half without creating anything. (I think Sturridge's fabulous goal was our only shot on target.). But the tactics and use of substitutions second half was ridiculous and just invited Villa to come onto us. We sat and got deeper and deeper, and the plan was more evident with one defensive substitution after another. If your taking Coutinho off, at least bring Sterling on for an outlet. Saved by Mingolet again. He's repaying his fee already and then some. Aspas totally anonymous as the game passed him by. But it's a big step up for him at the end of the day all ways round. 

A little luck to be sat with two wins. But we'll happily take it. A much changed side against Notts County in the Lge Cup now and then the biggest game in World football next Sunday lunchtime as David Moyes Football Genius and co tip up for battle. 

Bring 

it 

ON!

Hail. 

I agree that Enrique played great today, but I like both him and Johnson better than the rest of the Liverpool supporters on this board. Hopefully a new winger will be in before the window closes. I think we can all agree Henderson is better suited as a central player (probably cover for Lucas). I like Aspas' movement and work rate, but he still needs to improve. Mignolet had another great day of little to do, but than a flurry of fantastic saves. 

GHH, don't discount this Villa team. They did not control large chunks of the second half because of BR's tactics...BR had to change his tactics and shape because Villa began to take over the game.

Either way, 2-0 feels great!!

I think your giving Rogers far more props than he deserves there man personally. 

From the start of the second half on we were sitting deeper and deeper and just encouraging Villa onto us. I'm not sure why we continue to have Gerrard sat so deep either. With the insurance of Lucas, there's no need for two midfielders sat in front of the back 4. When he made his changes he was settling for what we had. 

But regardless. 6 points from 6 does indeed feel great. 

Hail. 

You're probably right...but, I do think Villa are a good team. I think they were embarrassed by how easy it was for Liverpool in the first half and played much better in the second. On the bright side, last year this would have been a draw or a loss...

• Like 1

Mignolet and Toure are really looking good. But then, so did Allen in his first few games with us. It's a long season.

I wonder how much better Liverpool would be with Suarez. I like Aspas but he completely disappeared the second half. Hopefully we can get another top notch winger. Hopefully someone with a little more decisiveness than Willian, but at least he screwed over Spurs too.