Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Skrtel and Kelly are still out injured man. Toure's having a scan tomorrow but it looks like he's pulled his groin bad. Allen looks like a hamstring. Cissokoho is apparently a lot better than it looks. He was fair crying when he had to be helped off. But it's just a bad knock to his ankle. 

As for the game positives, there was actually quite a lot. Sturridge continued his fitness and looked as great as he has the first two games. Some of the attacking play was real crisp, with a boat load of chances created. And after Toure went off, we were down to 10 men for extra time and more so the spirit and organisation to come back was a credit to them. Ibe and Sterling looked real good on either wing too. 

But then you put it all in context as to the caliber of opposition we played. At home. And the lead we built. The defending at times was amateur. Mingolet, as good a shot stopper as he is (he's already won us 4 points this season) looks real dodgy on back passes and scared witless with any balls in the air. Alberto was totally non-existent. He looked what he is. A raw kid from the Spanish Second division who got out bossed/ classed by League One pros. But it's all a big learning curve for him so it would be unfair to signal him out. 

It was a very mixed night that went from complete control and an easy, professional performance to an absolutely ridiculous situation against a team two divisions below us. In the main down to our continued profligacy in front of goal and subsequent lapse concentration in defence as the game wares on. 

Ultimately happy to get through which of course is the main objective in the cups. But darn if we didn't make REAL hard work of a game that at half-time was what it should of been, Real easy. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

I didn't think Skrtel was injured, I thought he was 'injured' while they figure out if they were going to transfer him. This will be an education for Wisdom, hopefully he will be up for the challenge. Maybe this will put a little pressure on Ayre to lock up one of the many central defenders that they are linked with...

I thought the same about Skrtel who is well out of favour to start with with BR but apparently he is actually a major doubt for Sunday with an injury. 

And yeah, if, as looks highly likely, Kolo's out for a spell it becomes imperative we make a move for someone this week before the deadline. BR thankfully as good as said as much after the game. 

Hail. 

How did Sterling look? I know he scored the one goal but overall? I personally haven't gotten to see him play a lot so far, preseason or otherwise.

Fantastic first half. As did Ibe on the other side. Faded second half but still worked hard which was good to see then came more back to life in extra time. Fantastic individual goal from him. 

I'd start him Sunday and tell him to just go at Jones. 

Hail. 

**** Seattle.

Anyways, that was pitiful yesterday. But a win is a win. I'm not feeling so hot for this coming Sunday if Toure is out. But who knows, maybe this brings out the best in Wisdom and he evolves into a dominant CB over the course of the game. Hey, anything can happen.

That said, nothing would make me more happy than to beat United at home and start the season off 3-0. But forgetting the fact that they are already a good squad, they'll have the added boost of Rooney seemingly staying loyal, plus Moyes seems determined to win the hearts of Liverpool by showing up in Man U colors, having previously won us over when he flew Everton's flag.

• Like 1

..... plus Moyes seems determined to win the hearts of Liverpool by showing up in Man U colors, having previously won us over when he flew Everton's flag.

I'm sold on David Moyes Football Genius already and will give him the same respect I always give him Sunday and one that he thoroughly deserves. 

For the record, I am not biased or bigoted in any way. 

I hate both the aforementioned clubs in equal measure.  :D

Hail. 

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1679/us-national-team/2013/08/28/4218661/seattle-fans-to-be-given-lead-role-in-us-supporters-groups

this will not go over well with other AO chapters. There's already a riot on other AO chapter pages. Seattle is getting hammered right now.

from AO homepage:

Reports published at a handful of soccer websites on The American Outlaws plans for the USA vs Mexico World Cup Qualifer in Columbus are incorrect.

Neither the American Outlaws or the US Soccer Federation are paying for any capo to fly to this game or any future game. The tifo at this crucial qualifier will be organized and run by AO Columbus and local supporters.

AO Seattle is not being tasked to take over the in-stadium experience for this or any future USMNT games outside Seattle. A Seattle takeover of tifo and singing at all USMNT games has never been the plan or intention and any reports of such are false.

*Sings 'Bring on yer Manchester United ..... '

Utd away. Next round of the League Cup. Wednesday night. 10 thousand or so reds 'dismantling and redecorating' the Scoreboard End. And some fella' called Suarez back. They'll be NO under-strength sides for this one. 

I still have a scar near my left knee from the last time we played at the Theatre of Wet Dreams in the Lge Cup back in '90 in a 1-3 defeat when it all went haywire on the forecourt outside the Scoreboard End after and some nice Mancunian stabbed me in the leg. (Don't y'all regret you missed that period in English soccer? Lol.). 

This should be fun.

Hail. 

That the first time you've noticed Sturridge's goal celebration?

Corny like but if he keeps on scoring he can keep on dancing or whatever the Hell it is.  :lol:

Hail. 

*Edit* LOL. This is Sturridge after the Notts County getting out of his car and doing whatever the Hell that thing is with a fan. Top fella':

Hail. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23680545

Real interesting article about how UEFA's coefficient system works as regards club competition. 

It just brings home again just how far Liverpool have fallen, and just how VITALLY important European football is which I wish most of our boneheaded support (not on these boards) would start to appreciate when they denigrate the Europa Lge and are happy we aren't in it. When we do finally return to the Champions League, we're gona' be in the last pot a million miles away from getting back to pot 1. If ever. So more often than not we're basically gona' be facing at least two top sides each qualifying group. Which as City have found out, makes your task 100% harder. 

These are the current club rankings: http://www.ecaeurope.com/tabbed-content/club-ranking/

That's one HELL of a fall from 2nd to being, as we will, outside the top 30 next season; in a 5 year period.

Not that it's any news, but it's going to be a LONG road back.

Anybody that doesn't understand the importance of European football through ANY route wants to read the article. Like Brendan Rodgers for a start!

Hail. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23680545

Anybody that doesn't understand the importance of European football through ANY route wants to read the article. Like Brendan Rodgers for a start!

Hail. 

Yeah... That doesnt make much sense. Why would you not want to be playing in the Europa league if you cant make the UCL? You can fight for a trophy, your club can make more money, you can test yourself against other top European teams, etc. Makes no sense. Yeah its not the UCL, but its way better then sitting at home during those tournaments.

On a side note the game yesterday was pretty frustrating. I know it was mainly backups, but you would expect them to play better. Though granted, the main issue was the complete lack of finishing by Kone. Barkley continues to look awesome, he is going to be the cog for our team. I continue to hate Osman as a starter, I find him very frustrating. Really should have had 3 goals in the first half.

I've had that frustrating argument over the summer with a few friends who should know FAR better Mister P. Liverpool Football Club is ALL about European football and winning trophy's.  I didn't care about this perceived indignity of the Fair Play League and starting the season in June/ July. If that's your only way in, you grab it with both hands for all you mentioned and more. As the above article shows on the way UEFA work out the coefficient's, the longer your out, the worse it gets. Just making the Europa Lge would have us up around 17. Next season, we'll be out of the top 30 and in the bottom pots. Unseeded and facing some tough early ties when we do eventually return to Continental competition. For fans to be happy to miss out is ridiculous enough. When your manager/ GM/ Owners et all are as well it's beyond the pail. 

I caught bits and bats of last night and you looked pretty idealess at times. Kone's finishing was abject to be kind. The miss from 3 yards when the dude wrapped his manhood round the post had to be seen to be believed. Barkley looks a real talent. I was surprised when Martinez took him off but he looks a great attacking threat. A little fortunate to not end up going to penalty's there man. But like ourselves the day prior, your through to the next round and that's all that matters. 

Hail. 

****ing same ole ****.  #1 Kickers go down tonight the Semis to #4.  WHY?!!!  Because once against the coach plays not to lose in the playoffs.  So ****ing tired of crap.  Dude knows how to coach but when playoff time comes he's chicken as hell.  We always make early exits because of it.  We were up 1-0 early and went into a shell and loss 2-1.  Funny thing was we weren't exactly attacking even when down a goal.  He does this every year.  We get up in a game and lose by a goal in the playoffs because of pansy bunkering tactics. So tired of it. Someone actually dragging it up and basically since 2000 we've loss like that every time in the playoffs minus when we won two different years because our team was just too good for the league (one of those was when dropped a division due to financial situation at the time so our players were much better than the rest of the league).