Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Inherent difference being the run to Istanbul was far from lucky, particularly in the knock-out stages. A very good Leverkusen and Juventus side brushed aside without any trouble, and then the newly crowned English Champions restricted to one chance over two legs in a semi that was far more comfortable than just the 1-0 aggregate scoreline. No question they got lucky as all heck in Istanbul. But meh, we deserved to win in Athens, so it leveled out. And I know which one I'd of rather won the way it played out.

Chelsea, last year, in both FA Cup and Champions League, save for the 2nd leg Barca semi, had more luck go their way since Utd in '99. But at least that was a quality Utd side. Last years Chelsea side, not so much.

Ironically, that World Club final back in 2005 was one of Rafa's best games. Utterly dominant (something like 25-30 shots on goal to 2 or 3), but they took one so fair play to Sao Paulo. As the aforementioned '05 and '07 finals are examples of, the better team doesn't always get what they deserve.

Chelsea were far from dominant earlier today in Japan.

Not much comparison as regards luck in either season in the whole picture.

Hail.

iqjEn4IHGs0TI.gif

:ols:

---------- Post added December-16th-2012 at 10:40 AM ----------

Inherent difference being the run to Istanbul was far from lucky, particularly in the knock-out stages. A very good Leverkusen and Juventus side brushed aside without any trouble, and then the newly crowned English Champions restricted to one chance over two legs in a semi that was far more comfortable than just the 1-0 aggregate scoreline. No question they got lucky as all heck in Istanbul. But meh, we deserved to win in Athens, so it leveled out. And I know which one I'd of rather won the way it played out.

Chelsea, last year, in both FA Cup and Champions League, save for the 2nd leg Barca semi, had more luck go their way since Utd in '99. But at least that was a quality Utd side. Last years Chelsea side, not so much.

Ironically, that World Club final back in 2005 was one of Rafa's best games. Utterly dominant (something like 25-30 shots on goal to 2 or 3), but they took one so fair play to Sao Paulo. As the aforementioned '05 and '07 finals are examples of, the better team doesn't always get what they deserve.

Chelsea were far from dominant earlier today in Japan.

Not much comparison as regards luck in either season in the whole picture.

Hail.

so we are just going to ignore Luis Garcia's "goal" in the 2nd leg of that semifinal?

Who were Chelsea lucky against? They beat Napoli in the round of 16 after being down 3-1 and firing AVB.

They beat Benfica rather comfortably in the next round.

And then they got by the "best team to ever play football" in Barcelona to reach the final.

Then they beat Bayern at Bayern. Their run had the standard breaks of any other team to reach the final. I have no idea why you would call them the luckiest team to ever win the CL, especially when Liverpool in 2005 have an even greater case. Again, I wouldnt have said a word about it were it not for you throwing shade at their accomplishment. The LAST thing I want to do is defend Chelsea, but they were definitely worthy champions. :ols:

Ahhh, the goal that we knew wasn't a goal in the ground. Mourinho would LOVE you man. He never let's that go either, lol.

Garcia's goal isn't allowed, L'pool have a penalty, Cech walks and Chelsea have 85 minutes or so with 10 men and Hillarious in goal.

I think I'd of taken my chances at the time with the first option if I were them.

BTW, nobody got a comment on the lone Udine fan in Genoa on the previous page? I thought that was an awesome story of loyalty.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Unless, as has been in evidence at numerous junctures in this thread without any encouragement, the players name happens to be Gerrard. ;)

Hail.

actually no, I mention Gerrard because of the sanctimoniousness comments about him saying he doesnt dive and "would have a word with Torres" if he does from the past, while ignoring that he is a serial diver.

But my ire has been more pointed at Suarez. IIRC, some of your fellow Liverpool fans couldnt understand why he wasnt getting legit foul calls. I mentioned why (his lunges) and it went nuclear.

Ive gone at Bale too, who may have actually passed Suarez for diving this season.

Rooney's dives ended the greatest English team in history' unbeaten run, so I will go at him irrationally.

Like I said before tho, I have no issue with diving because I KNOW Arsenal players do it. I actually encourage it so that we can get more penalties since the refs ignore the real fouls that happen to Arsenal players in the penalty area.

Edited by AsiaticSkinsFan

Newcastle up 2-1 on Manchester United, pretty good match in the rain.

*edit

ManU gets the equalizer, they have really looked better in the 2nd half.

Lots of cards, a couple more and they could play poker.

-----

Newcastle back up 3-2 @67 mins!!

---------- Post added December-26th-2012 at 11:30 AM ----------

Geeze ManU equalizes again 3-3 @70 minutes!

---------- Post added December-26th-2012 at 11:39 AM ----------

If you're "just not into soccer" this is the game you should watch!

---------- Post added December-26th-2012 at 11:46 AM ----------

Seriously, what a match this is!

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

This is what a lot of the soccer-haters and the Jim Romes of the world refuse to see. They fixate on the 1-0/0-0 finishes and not these games that occur quite frequently—like no account West Ham beating Billion Dollar Chelsea a few weeks ago.

But you also have well-versed people these days calling Barcelona boring, when it's the opponent's tactics dictating what they do.

Anyway, ASF how did your kid's season in goal wrap up?

I'll say it, not interested in anything outside of EPL and most of my EPL interest is piqued by Darkey and Macca

I am learning though

Was watching the last few minutes with Darkey and Macca yesterday, that was a good game

It will be a sad day when EPL rights transfer to NBC and Darkey and Macca no longer call EPL games

It will be a sad day when EPL rights transfer to NBC and Darkey and Macca no longer call EPL games

I suggest you listen to a game with Arlo White. Arlo White>>>>Ian Darke

I think football coverage in this country will explode when NBC gets it. They present sports better than every other network we have in this country. They have done a great job with MLS this year.

---------- Post added December-27th-2012 at 12:15 PM ----------

Even as a huge fan of the sport, I don't particularly care for mic outside epl. Serie a bores me, la liga is kinda cruddy outside of the top two, and we can't get much else. I do like Dortmund in Germany and some teams in holland.

I love it all, I love Serie A. The premiership is kind of a joke to me now. The top teams arent that good and no one can defend anymore. Tactics have been thrown out the window too.

The premiership is kind of a joke to me now. The top teams arent that good and no one can defend anymore. Tactics have been thrown out the window too.

Eh what is the justification for that comment on tactics?

Look at the influx of the best foreign players and the best foreign managers in the EPL.

Eh what is the justification for that comment on tactics?

Look at the influx of the best foreign players and the best foreign managers in the EPL.

The premiership is behind the rest of Europe tactically, imo

And the best foreign players and managers do not reside in England anymore.

The league has been on a decline since Cronaldo was sold, imo.

More of the top players are in the EPL compared with any other league. While other leagues have a handful of outstanding clubs and players, there is greater depth in the EPL than in other leagues.

Claiming that the EPL "is kind of a joke", is just ridiculous.

Edited by Corcaigh

Nah, its all a wash. Outside of a handful of teams, its mediocrity all over the place.

Thats not a bad thing, imo.

Now thats funny :ols:

More of the top players are in the EPL compared with any other league. While other leagues have a handful of outstanding clubs and players, there is greater depth in the EPL than in other leagues.

Claiming that the EPL "is kind of a joke", is just ridiculous.

I think the Premiership is kind of a joke. The top of the league is terrible.

One of the best players in the league this season came from a club that was 15th place in Spain.

Look at the league, who are the world class players? RVP, Yaya, Silva, Sagna, and Maybe Vidic depending on his health, but that is pretty much it. The league can be won with weak midfields, look at Manchester United.

And of course the top players are only at a handful of clubs, that was true in the premiership too? The top players were at United, Chelsea, City, and Liverpool.

All I know is 4 years ago, the premiership had players at the peak of their powers like Cesc Fabregas, Cristiano Ronaldo, Didier Drogba, Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres, Javier Mascherano, Xabi Alonso, Paul Scholes, Rio Ferdinand, Nmanja Vidic, Pepe Reina, Edwin Van der Sar, Petr Cech, Frank Lampard, Claude Makelele, Michael Essian, Ashley Cole, Patrice Evra, the racist captain of Chelsea and thats off the top of my head. Those guys were world class talents playing in the league all at the same time.

If you want the league of stars, they play in Spain. The best foreign players do not play in the premiership anymore.

Nah' date=' its all a wash. Outside of a handful of teams, its mediocrity all over the place. [/quote']

I dont know what this means.

Thats not a bad thing' date=' imo.[/quote']

thats fair, but you should direct that to Corcaigh, not me. He is the one saying the premiership has all the foreign stars.

Now thats funny :ols:

its true. That summer of 2009' date=' the league changed. I am not saying its all because of Cronaldo leaving, but their has been a steep decline in talent in the premiership.

---------- Post added December-27th-2012 at 07:09 PM ----------

I am aware of who Arlo is

He did the US Women's games and he does the MLS games for NBC Sports Network

He is fine but he is no Ian Darke. Ian Darke is possibly the best soccer broadcaster in the world.

Different strokes for different folks, but Arlo is a lot more knowledgeable of the sport than Ian Darke, imo. And his voice is so smooth.

Look at the league, who are the world class players? RVP, Yaya, Silva, Sagna, and Maybe Vidic depending on his health, but that is pretty much it.

Just ridiculous. You are seriously claiming that there are just four world class players in the EPL. :ols: How many do you think are in the other top leagues?

No Hart, Suarez, Balotelli, Vermaelen or Aguero , to name five. Or Rooney or Bale or Mata or Giroud or Cisse.

EDIT: nevermind. It's pointless discussing with you.

Edited by Corcaigh