Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

I started watching Arsenal since the Henry came, tbh. So thats 12 years. I know the history of the club and all that, but from what ive witnessed this is the worst.

Nods, figured you must be a recent convert so to speak such has been Wengers success. (And some of the absolute dross that went before. Not least pre-Graham for many years.).

Thanks man. I wasn't criticising. Just curious.

Hail.

Chelsea :ols:

Yeah but that match was crazy fun to watch though. The crowd was loud and the bubbles. The bubbles.

---------- Post added December-2nd-2012 at 05:41 AM ----------

Nods, figured you must be a recent convert so to speak such has been Wengers success. (And some of the absolute dross that went before. Not least pre-Graham for many years.).

Thanks man. I wasn't criticising. Just curious.

Hail.

I still think they'll find some way to stay in the champion's league. Worst gunners squad since Wenger came still has a lot of talent. Results are a fickle thing, a couple things go slightly different and there's no such things as the Invincibles. A couple of things go slightly different and we're not still hunting for silverware eight years later.

Talk all you want about MLS and American soccer but they will never reach the level of El Clasico or The Derby anytime soon

Epic matches

That's OK. The English have been playing soccer for hundreds of years and are still nowhere near the level of La Liga, Bundisliga, or Serie A.

Epic leagues with great teams that play soccer properly.

Edited by btfoom

Kinda new to watching soccer, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what is the age range for the prime of a players career typically?

Mid 30s for goalkeepers. For field players, like Ren said, mid 20s.

Out of curiousity, what made you start watching soccer?

That's OK. The English have been playing soccer for hundreds of years and are still nowhere near the level of La Liga, Bundisliga, or Serie A.

Except the Europeans can't handle the English on the biggest stage nine times out of ten.

Spain have produced 13 European Cup/ Champions League winners between two clubs. Italy 12 from 3 clubs. Germany a paltry 6 from 3 clubs. (The same as the Netherlands.). With England 12 split between 5 clubs.

In the UEFA Cup/ Europa League, Italy leads the way with 9 wins split between 4 clubs. Spain has 7 from 4 clubs. With England and Germany 6 each split between 3 and 5 clubs respectively.

And in the now sadly defunct European Cup Winners Cup, England has 9 wins from 7 clubs. Italy and Spain 7 wins from 6 and 4 clubs respectively. And Germany 5 wins from 5 different teams.

The English may not always play the most aesthetically pleasing soccer, but it sure is effective on the biggest stage of all.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

I received Fifa 12 for ps3 as a gift when it came out, been hooked since.

Nice! I coach soccer and the old-fart coaches always turn their noses up when we tell kids/parents to go get Fifa or PES for a console as part of learning medium. I think it can teach you certain things but more importantly it's another way for kids to get hooked into the pro game. Too many kids don't really watch pro soccer, particularly the girls, so it's just one more way.

What?! You might not like the english style of play, but there's no question the top teams from the EPL can compete with the top teams from the other european leagues. I personally much prefer to watch the EPL over the Italian or German leagues.

Edited by GSF

Except the Europeans can't handle the English on the biggest stage nine times out of ten.

Spain have produced 13 European Cup/ Champions League winners between two clubs. Italy 12 from 3 clubs. Germany a paltry 6 from 3 clubs. (The same as the Netherlands.). With England 12 split between 5 clubs.

In the UEFA Cup/ Europa League, Italy leads the way with 9 wins split between 4 clubs. Spain has 7 from 4 clubs. With England and Germany 6 each split between 3 and 5 clubs respectively.

And in the now sadly defunct European Cup Winners Cup, England has 9 wins from 7 clubs. Italy and Spain 7 wins from 6 and 4 clubs respectively. And Germany 5 wins from 5 different teams.

The English may not always play the most aesthetically pleasing soccer, but it sure is effective on the biggest stage of all.

Hail.

What exactly are you trying to say here? That English club teams are better then the rest of European club teams? Sorry if I'm not quite understanding your point. Thanks.

What?! You might not like the english style of play, but there's no question the top teams from the EPL can compete with the top teams from the other european leagues. I personally much prefer to watch the EPL over the Italian or German leagues.

Maybe around the 99 Champions League final, or was that the European Cup? Top English CLUBS have been tending away from actually having English players. British maybe but not English.

Additionally. the top English clubs have ceased to be coached by English coaches for over a decade now. Go ahead, call Ferguson English ;). So besides the soil, not sure what is English about the EPL. I think it refers to the language it's broadcast in?

Edited by Elessar78

Even though the players arent English, and neither are most of the managers, they still do play a very English style. You can tell by watching how some of these teams play in Europe vs the premier league. In Europe, they often have to play a slower and possession oriented game whereas in England its more helter skelter.

In saying that, even tho Chelsea won it last year and United made the final in 2011, the English clubs are not as strong as they were in the mid noughties. Not anywhere close. 2 teams out in the group stage of CL for the 2nd straight year, and neither United or Arsenal have the quality to beat the best teams in Europe in the KO rounds. This has been the trend since the summer Cronaldo was sold to Madrid, the league has gotten weaker considerably. None of the teams can defend anymore and midfield play is nonexistant. Its exciting football, but its not the best league in the world in terms of strong teams anymore.

Edited by AsiaticSkinsFan

Oh without question Asiatic. The notion that the EPL is the best league in the World is utter codswallop. It's arguably the most exciting league in the World, but in the main that's because nobody can defend. (And the 100 miles an hour, all out action that the English fans demand. Another reason why the National side continues to struggle. The type of soccer demanded by supporters just isn't conducive to International football.). Hell, you've only got to look at the current top club in England. For a United side under Ferguson, this is a pretty darn weak one. I've lost count of the amount of games they've had to come from behind by double goals this year. All games they should of lost. But Ferguson knows, as simplistic as it sounds, you attack every game, your gona' invariably score goals and win matches. Which is even more pertinent given the overall standard of poor defending in England. A poor (for him) Utd squad. Yet they sit 6 points clear at the top of the table leading upto the Christmas rush of fixtures. All an indictment on the other 19 clubs and the overall standard of the league.

The point I was making above was over the years, which still rings true today given that over the last 10 Champions League Finals, Engand has been represented 8 times with 3 wins (4 different clubs); compared to Italy with 2 wins from the 5 times they've been represented (3 clubs); Spain 3 wins from 3 outings (1 club); and Germany 2 appearances from the same club, with 0 wins; England still more than holds it's own at the very top table of European football. Over the same period, the number of Spanish clubs contesting the Uefa/ Europa League final just adds to my opinion that the overall quality of La Liga is currently unmatched Continent wide. Through the last 10 finals in the second competition, Spain has been represented 7 times, through 5 different clubs, with 5 wins. England twice, through 2 clubs with 0 wins. Germany once, with zero wins. And not a single Serie A club making the final in that competition since Parma back in 1999.

The EPL may not be a strong overall league. And it's FAR from the best quality league in Europe, however they continue to B/S that in their promotion. (Although for the viewing public World wide, like GSF above, the excitement level is unmatched anywhere.).

But England still more than holds it own when it comes to winning European Competitions. And that ultimately is the true barometer of how strong your league is.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven