Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

3 minutes ago, jobaga said:

I loved Coutinho. I guarantee I always supported him on here. I've always liked Bobby's hustle and willingness to work, but I don't really think I was around during those conversations. If you want to waste the time, you can check my posts. I suggested Liverpool put the armband on Phil years ago...

I remember you did always support Phil and yes you and I argued that he should be captain and I disagreed.  I said it should be Emre I believe and you said Phil.  Phil is easily the best player but Emre was a "grab 'em by the scruff" guy that I think you need as a captain when the "breaks are beating the boys," to quote the Gipper.

What I'm saying is I always had him as one of the best players in the world.  Not everyone did.  Even our full-blooded Scouse brother and I had it at the end of 12-13 where he was doom and gloom going into 13-14 and I said we were winning the league.

I sound very self-righteous right now so I'll shut up, lol.  But I really don't think Hendo is on the team after the summer.  I just don't.  I like him but he just doesn't have any quality and energy only gets you so far.  You're basically picking between Hendo and Gini. 

4 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

I think VVD gets the armband next year with Ox the vice captain next year, FWIW.

I'd be alright with that.

Even without him in the side today we were pretty organized.  Massive effect.  Just what we needed.  And he's very vocal on those set pieces.

Jimmy really left the back 4 out to dry today late late and Lovren sold out on a tackle and missed... which I believe led to 3 chances, to of which scored.  It's 4-1 without that nonsense and VVD starting.  4-0 if we have a top keeper.

So. ****ing. Close.

And it's actually true this time.

I agree that the club needs a proper DM. We'll see how it all shakes out. I don't think you make someone captain unless you expect them to be playing every game...Klopp likes that Hendo made himself a better player. 

9 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

I think VVD gets the armband next year with Ox the vice captain, FWIW.

TBH, just happy to hear from GHH. Thought he may have drinken himself into a stupor.

That wouldn't surprise me (on both counts)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, FanboyOf91 said:

(whispers) City should be down a man for all their ****housery that never gets called because Josep Guardiola invented futbol.

Fernandinho gets away with murder WEEKLY and Otamendi is just a dick.

Here's an exchange I was having with Phil McNulty referencing the first match where Jesus kicked Mane in the head right before Mane did Edderson (not even a free kick to Liverpool here, mind you).

Sterling should've been off today.  Mariner gave Pep a chance to get him off and he did immediately.  "There's only one greedy ****."  Brilliant.

My only complaint today was the lino on the Anfield road end at the beginning and the rest of the game it was the lino on the Kop end (after about 20 minutes).

7 minutes ago, jobaga said:

I agree that the club needs a proper DM. We'll see how it all shakes out. I don't think you make someone captain unless you expect them to be playing every game...Klopp likes that Hendo made himself a better player. 

That wouldn't surprise me (on both counts)

I would see what the Foxes want for Ndidi. 

I'd disagree that Hendo has made himself a better player, though.  For me, he's the only one who hasn't.  He gives you energy and that's about it. 

Edited by DC9
  • Like 3

Congrats to my "friends" down the road on a very impressive performance. One wonders how much Pep's aura of invincibility and if it's still aided by those original Barca sides that literally had no weaknesses. Klopp summed it up perfectly when he said they're incredibly consistent tactically and they have a world class player at most positions, only I'm not sure if I buy the latter. After his time at Barca, when faced with parity in regards to the opposing team's quality, that tactical consistency = predictability. They're a superb side this year don't get me wrong, but imo they're still not as good as the undefeated Arsenal team, Mourinho's Chelsea that set the points record, or both of United's (Manchester United just in case there's any confusion) CL winners under Fergie. You could throw 13/14 Liverpool and City's first title winning team in that conversation too. 

This game IMO was a reminder of why Liverpool were right to pay what they did for Van Dijk. First of all for whatever reason the sports media in England love to rip on how much the top clubs spend, and at the same time want to heap praise upon foreign teams for their magnificent squads. That's the market right now and those prices will only continue to rise. Pogba would have cost another 50-60 million this summer, VVD would probably cost another 30-40 million next summer. It's a brilliant buy because we know Liverpool are unplayable when they catch fire like they did today, but with more talent at the back they should be able to grind out results on off days on a more consistent basis. You don't want to be the soccer equivalent of Mike D'Antoni's Suns.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Real saddened to read of Cyril Regis passing overnight from a sudden heart attack at the pitifully young age of 59. 

An absolute trailblazing icon for black players. 'The Three Degrees' in that superb WBA side under Atkinson man. Brilliantly entertaining. 

Old school, hard as nails but fair centre-forward who couldn't half play at bit yanno?

God Rest.

Hail. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Long n Left said:

I think VVD gets the armband next year with Ox the vice captain, FWIW.

TBH, just happy to hear from GHH. Thought he may have drinken himself into a stupor.

That would be my ideal captaincy scenario. 

:rofl89::rofl89: If I could have spoken to order just one, I more than likely would have been. But alas I had the rare privilege of enjoying every part of yesterday stone cold sober. 

Hail. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, DC9 said:

..... and both you and GHH argued with me when we bought Bobby and I said he was going to be a Suarez-esque striker.

Think you're mistaking that over time lil' bro. (On me. Not yourself.). 

I'd never so much as heard of him before we signed him. Much less seen him play to have much of any opinion. :unsure:

9 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Congrats to my "friends" down the road on a very impressive performance. .....

Very magnanimous. Especially as we weren't even playing each other. Thank you. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

51 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Think you're mistaking that over time lil' bro. (On me. Not yourself.). 

I'd never so much as heard of him before we signed him. Much less seen him play to have much of any opinion. :unsure:

It wasn't full on like the Benteke thing, but you were just not impressed with the signing.  We had just missed out on Depay, who I'm not sure where he is now but Memphis, Tennessee is starting an USL franchise and he'd fit right in there wouldn't he?  We were basically talking about where he'd fit in and Brendan was still here and you said he was a 10, I agreed and I said slide Phil back to the 8 and play this kid at the 10 and eventually he'd be a strike partner next to Sturridge.  Nothing earth shattering but he has a nasty shot when he connects.  Never saw him as an out and out center forward who could hold up and distribute like this.  He's just absolutely fantastic.

Loved that celly yesterday - get that ****ing shirt off, Bobby!

49 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I have spotted a glaring flaw in y'all's discussion here ..... Good luck selling the manager on that. 

Welcome back BTW. Been TOO long. 

Hail. 

Saw Akanji signed for Dortmund today.

2 hours ago, DC9 said:

Saw Akanji signed for Dortmund today.

As I stated before, I think it’s time to give Joe a shot. I think TAA has shown enough to get some run. I still have no idea when Clyne is going to play. I think Joe has shown he has pace, confidence on the ball, a decent passing range, and and the ability to make a tackle. We need to see if he can win in the air and read the game. With Matip or VvD there to organize, he should be able to learn and develop.

3 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

I have spotted a glaring flaw in y'all's discussion here ..... Good luck selling the manager on that. 

Welcome back BTW. Been TOO long. 

Hail. 

Agreed on both! I hope all is well! Where are all the Arsenal boys?? 

**edit

that's why I think Hendo gets first crack. I think Klopp lives the idea of 3 athletic box to box guys making runs and pressing all over the park...

Edited by jobaga

3 hours ago, jobaga said:

Who fills the free kick role? Ox seemed to take most of the corners. It seems like VvD has the ability. That may be the biggest void Coutinho leaves them...

Moreno can do it when he's in.  Ox seems to have a very nice delivery as you mentioned but I'm not sure he has the shot.

Moreno actually taught Phil how to do free kicks.  TAA used to be a CAM in the academy and he's got a nasty one, too.

Very meh at times United were today but got the job done. As I suspected Stoke were strolling through the midfield and with a bit more quality would have got on the score sheet. Pogba is brilliant when given free range and that's how it should stay, but even the lower tier PL teams will exploit the void left in midfield if there is no box to box playing along side Matic. Not sure what Herrera did to fall out of favor but those three are very well suited to play together and it doesn't even necessarily mean you're more defensive in that formation. Oh well, still leading the pack behind City with Alexis (hopefully) on the way. He won't work any miracles but he'll solidify our contention for second place. 

2 hours ago, DC9 said:

Moreno can do it when he's in.  Ox seems to have a very nice delivery as you mentioned but I'm not sure he has the shot.

Moreno actually taught Phil how to do free kicks.  TAA used to be a CAM in the academy and he's got a nasty one, too.

I'm not sure how much time Moreno is going to see. TAA is still mainly on the bench. Maybe Bobby? Definitely not Hendo...

8 hours ago, DC9 said:

Good luck to my Red brothers this year - Match Day / Valentines Day.  Curious about everyone else's work around.

We'll be in Porto the 14th watching the Mighty Reds. Does that count? 

Mad day Cantona's 'comeback' '95. We had no official away tickets as capacity was right down due to the rebuild. Got one outside so I'm the Stretford End sat me hands. The Utd ticket office had been done over midweek and a load of tickets robbed. Stewards were looking out for these seats and this lad came over wanting to look the ticket. Utd had subtly changed the order on the date the tickets for the reprinted ones. As this is leading to ours turned out to be some the nicked ones. Got lashed out just as the game started with a few digs thrown our way as the 'enquiries' had revealed who we were by this point. Then got back in around 80 when they opened up the gates and just grabbed any empty speck. Never seen any of the 4 goals. Got blagged on the ticket and lashed out. But got back in with nobody realising who we were. Mad day.

God. 23 years ago man. I feel old.

Hail. 

• Like 2