Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Portugal's defense was excellent without Cristiano sulking about the midfield tonight. Good move subbing him off early.

First Cleveland, now Portugal.

When is it DC's turn? "lolol

IT'S THE NATS' YEAR

Edited by FanboyOf91

So....still think Chili or Argentina couldn't have beaten either of these teams?

You said the United States.

And no, the US can't break down teams either.  Set pieces or on the counter... almost all the goals.

Portugal decided they were going to sit back when Ronaldo went off.

France would break down the US in about 25-30 minutes.

IT'S THE NATS' YEAR

I'll buy in if the trade for Bruce or another bat.

Edited by DC9

Fred obviously lost the argument then as he's not acknowledging it. :lol:

Brothers 82 - Fred 0

and BTFOOM 100 - Brothers 3

Enjoy your Friday night matches, the only times you get to play competitive games during the week.  LOL.

As for the match, sad to see negative football wins again, but that's how France advanced vs Germany, so I don't care they lost.

The Euros were far worse tournament, aside from the Irish fans (which are always a great sight), than the Copa Centanario.

New format was nice to have more teams, but overall level of play sucked the big one.

Copa Was SOOOO much more fun to watch, had much better matches, and overall level of play so much better than Euro.

Only good thing that comes out of Euro 16 is that if Argentina FA can get it's act together, Messi comes back to International play for WC to win one major tournament to match Ronaldo.

Edited by btfoom

Not a fan of Ronaldo or Portugal at all, but fair play to them, they did a job on the French and we're just as deserving on the night.

As someone I generally can't stand, Ronaldo went up in my estimation last night. I'm sure he's a selfish prick, dare say he's not alone in that, but you can't question his passion and desire to win, both for himself and his country. Also, by the way way some of his team mates have spoken since the final, he is clearly massively respected within that squad.

That's taken them right through to lifting the trophy, even in the midst of a mediocre tournament, so congrats to them.

• Like 1

See ever since he was forced off I'm the opposite. 

Least that lying sack of **** Evra won't be picking up a winners medal. 

Hail. 

That's the only good thing about this final, Evra won't get a trophy win National team. Guy just plain suck, at all levels.

And it's still a concern to me that both he and Sagna are our laterals. I was a better lateral than both of them when I was a kid.

That's a real shame we didn't have anyone better than these two.

Now, I'm gonna wish good luck to both Eder and Moutinho for the upcoming year in the french championship, both were just disgusting to watch cheating. Both were lucky and can congrats Rui Patricio who was freaking great yesterday. They can build a statue of him in Lisbon, guy deserved it.

Other than that, I'm pretty pissed to see Portugal winning while playing like that, they've got far better players than what they showed. I wouldn't care much if Iceland won this way, I can understand, but Portugal? no way. The only two teams that deserved it were Germany and Italy, sadly, they met too early.

• Like 1

Gignac is the French Wondolowski.

How did they not bring on Martial?

Deschamps is a clown he relies on his luck and cronyism. He always select his quartet (Evra, Sagna, Giroud, Pogba) no matter how bad or average they're playing, and guess what ? his luck has ended.

He's an average coach who has proven he can't adapt to the expected (Portugal parking the bus) an to the unexpected circumstances. He set a game plan for Ronaldo, and when Portugal's best player was out I knew we were screwed, because he had no answer.

I quit watching the game during halftime I knew what was coming. He substituted Giroud for his clone Gignac which was stupid and useless, instead of bringing in more one on one and speed with Martial. I coud only imagine how Ben Arfa would have owned the Portuguese defense.

Another evidence to recognize a coach who's surfing the lucky wave and who's not good: he beats the number one football nation and during the next game he got his ass  kicked by a weaker opponent.

I bet he won't resign and the FFF idiots will grant him an extansion. Yes we love loosers, Domenech approves.

That's why I keep on saying on planet stupid we're the very undisputed best. :ph34r:

This final was particarly frustrating when you let a weaker opponent beat you.

Props to the Portuguese goalkeeper, he had the game of his life.

This Euro was much more entertaining off than on the field. Bruce is that you ?

It was also the Euro of the loosing streaks end. Germany vs Italy, France vs Germany, Portugal vs France.

I feel for Antoine who's now 0-3.

Time to move on.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 2

and BTFOOM 100 - Brothers 3

Enjoy your Friday night matches, the only times you get to play competitive games during the week.  LOL.

Enjoy the 38 bye weeks and another quarters/semis exit.

And how can the Copa be more exciting than this one was? 

- Most of the games were Davids vs Goliaths (CONCACAF vs CONCABOL) and the scoreline reflected it

- There wasn't a goal scored in most of the match day 1 games save for COL 2 - 0 USA

- THAT final went to pens

I watched almost every game of both tournies and I don't think it was that big of a gap in entertainment at all.  Both were poor tournaments in my opinion.

There certainly wasn't anything in EUROs that made me think the US could win it and I'm as American as they come :lol:

• Like 1

Deschamps is a clown he relies on his luck and cronyism. He always select his quartet (Evra, Sagna, Giroud, Pogba) no matter how bad or average they're playing, and guess what ? his luck has ended.

He's an average coach who has proven he can't adapt to the expected (Portugal parking the bus) an to the unexpected circumstances. He set a game plan for Ronaldo, and when Portugal's best player was out I knew we were screwed, because he had no answer.

I quit watching the game during halftime I knew what was coming. He substituted Giroud for his clone Gignac which was stupid and useless, instead of bringing in more one on one and speed with Martial. I coud only imagine how Ben Arfa would have owned the Portuguese defense.

Another evidence to recognize a coach who's surfing the lucky wave and who's not good: he beats the number one football nation and during the next game he got his ass  kicked by a weaker opponent.

I bet he won't resign and the FFF idiots will grant him an extansion. Yes we love loosers, Domenech approves.

That's why I keep on saying on planet stupid we're the very undisputed best. :ph34r:

This final was particarly frustrating when you let a weaker opponent beat you.

Props to the Portuguese goalkeeper, he had the game of his life.

This Euro was much more entertaining off than on the field. Bruce is that you ?

It was also the Euro of the loosing streaks end. Germany vs Italy, France vs Germany, Portugal vs France.

I feel for Antoine who's now 0-3.

Time to move on.

No offense, but you're a bit angry right now. 

I thought Lloris had a great game, kept you in with some nice saves. It wasn't just Rui Patricio.

Deschamps opted for harmony and stability over outright talent. You've complained, rightfully, many times about the selfishness that players like Nasri, KB, Ben Arfa brought to the squad. Probably would've imploded earlier with those head cases. 

DD got you to the final. Gignac and Griez came very very close to winning the game for France. He selected Sissoko, who had a helluva game. 

Your criticisms of the manager are true, but so is the other side of the coin.

yJ_QnkDh_bigger.jpgThe True Geordie ‏@TrueGeordieNUFC 54m54 minutes ago

Love that Newcastle want £35m for Sissoko, here's hoping some daft **** is convinced by those few games in the Euro's and coughs up!

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

So we're one of 16 category one ranked PL academy set-up's (Newcastle have replaced Hull) that have been invited to play in the revamped/ rebranded Johnstone's Paint Trophy. Now to be called the English Football League Trophy: 

EFL Trophy: Format confirmed for 2016/17

In theory it's a good idea to give younger players competitive football to aid their development, being as the U-18/21 structure is so pitiful in England with so few games. But it's been badly thought out and planned for me and i don't see much benefit in entering. All the games are scheduled over International breaks, so you're losing your most promising players right there in youth Internationals/ anyone around the first team squad. It's OK having 6 of the XI having to be U'21 players. But when you can't pick anyone already registered the first team squad of 25 for the PL that negates older squad players who no longer get any substantial reserve games. So on the face of it you could well be left with U'18 players going up against hardened pro's 10 years older. 

Good idea. Poor planning. 

But at least it's an acknowledgement that the whole U-21 (reserve) structure is terrible in England and something seriously needs doing. Probably a pre-curser to PL clubs having B teams in the lower leagues in the future to give that competitive edge.

Hail. 

Seem's everyone's jibbing out of this now:

Football League Trophy: Manchester City turn down invite - BBC Sport

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

No offense, but you're a bit angry right now. 

I thought Lloris had a great game, kept you in with some nice saves. It wasn't just Rui Patricio.

Deschamps opted for harmony and stability over outright talent. You've complained, rightfully, many times about the selfishness that players like Nasri, KB, Ben Arfa brought to the squad. Probably would've imploded earlier with those head cases. 

DD got you to the final. Gignac and Griez came very very close to winning the game for France. He selected Sissoko, who had a helluva game. 

Your criticisms of the manager are true, but so is the other side of the coin.

I've always seen Deschamps as a good leader of men, but not that great tactically speaking. He's good at reacting but sucks at analyzing and building a team that can play. His teams are always boring to watch, they're quite messy and relies on huge individuals here and there to get the job done.

His selection was questionnable, sure he had to deal with injuries, but when injuries happen to Varane and Mathieu and you call back Rami, who wasn't even a reservist to put him in the starting lineup above Mangala, that's a bad sign send to the guy.

Basically, he's a casual french coach, somehow limited tactically speaking, that selects 11 players, then fills up the remaining with a few good guys and many that won't create any trouble within the locker room. It's been a long time since we haven't had a great coach.

TBF he didn't have much of anything to do so let's not go overboard. 

He didn't had much to do in the finals, but still had 2 or 3 great saves.

But he was real money against Germany, if not for him, they would have killed the game half-time, because, hell, we completly sucked that first half (and a few other games as well, let's not act as if we played great the whole competition).

He didn't had much to do in the finals, but still had 2 or 3 great saves.

But he was real money against Germany, if not for him, they would have killed the game half-time, because, hell, we completly sucked that first half (and a few other games as well, let's not act as if we played great the whole competition).

That got lost in translation mate.

I was joking about Loris Karius, L'pool's new 'keeper and his first outing last Friday. 

Hail.