Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

..... The problem is Man City expect to win the Premier League and compete for the Champions League. Thats the objectuve the manager has and if falls short even slightly hes fired. So if he needs a left back or defensive midfield player (let along a striker or attacking midfield player) what he going to do? Spend £20M on a proven Interntioanl player who is the finished product or take a chance on an 18 or 19 year old kid who has loads of talent but needs development from playing at that level?

If it was your job on the line what would you do?

If you believe a youngster you've developed and invested in is good enough to make that leap, there's absolutely NO excuse with 7 subs now to not have him on the bench regularly and integrate him that way.

Hail. 

• Like 1

If you believe a youngster you've developed and invested in is good enough to make that leap, there's absolutely NO excuse with 7 subs now to not have him on the bench regularly and integrate him that way.

Hail.

Totally agree - but its not happening at clubs like Man City and to a lsser extent Chelsea (to be fair Chelsea are blooding a few of the U21 set up and have them in and around the bench).

I'll see if I can find him on FIFA.  I'm in year 2022.  Just won my third straight European Cup with Liverpool, but I need a new CM.

Well hes a keeper not a CM. But Ive got to believe Liverpool need a keeper :-)

• Like 2

Now FFP might make a difference to that kind of decision making but I remain to be convinced.

"I wish we could flirt FFP" - The bottom half of the table

"****ing FFP" - Liverpool

"We'll keep an eye on FFP" - United/Arsenal

"FFP?" - Real, Barca, Chelsea

Well hes a keeper not a CM. But Ive got to believe Liverpool need a keeper :-)

I've got this Brazilian kid who is 6'7 and 210.  A game-generated player.  He'll play CM or else!

Hail. 

Jon Flannagan had as much to do with our season last year as Suarez and Sturridge did.  People were killing Cissokho and Glen down that side before Flanno got in.

I'll see if I can find him on FIFA.  I'm in year 2022.  Just won my third straight European Cup with Liverpool, but I need a new CM.

Where it not for the ban after Heysel, I have NO doubt we'd be sat with another 2 or 3 European Cups. Which might just of had Utd giving up the chase.  :lol:.

Biggest regret for me, not being able to see Kenny's great '88 side play Sacchi's Milan of the three Dutchmen. That would of been a purists wet dream. 

Even Van Basten has gracefully said they never lost sight through their dominance of the late '80's/ early '90's that they never had to play Liverpool. 

Jon Flannagan had as much to do with our season last year as Suarez and Sturridge did.  People were killing Cissokho and Glen down that side before Flanno got in.

Just WTF is going on there?

Longest knee injury in history. 

Somethings not right here at all. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

And just because .....

BBC's long running Match of the Day has a Goal of the Season competition every year. 

1987-88 ALL 10 contenders came from the best English side ever assembled IMHO. The only time this has, and doubtless ever will, happen. 

Take 4 minutes and enjoy. Goal D is my favourite. Stevie McMahon keeping the ball in play after going into the crowd typified it all:

Hail. 

• Like 1

Just WTF is going on there?

Longest knee injury in history. 

Somethings not right here at all. 

Hail. 

Was wondering that myself.  I remember talking with my brother over the summer about why we needed Manquillo and would that money be better served on ahem... Wilfried Bony.  But yeah, not sure, he looked like he'd grown physically and as a player during the preseason.

The issue at a club like Man City is not the quality of the Academy coaches (who are first rate) or the players coming through (who are also first rate). The problem is Man City expect to win the Premier League and compete for the Champions League. Thats the objectuve the manager has and if falls short even slightly hes fired. So if he needs a left back or defensive midfield player (let alone a striker or attacking midfield player) what he going to do? Spend £20M on a proven Interntional player who is the finished product or take a chance on an 18 or 19 year old kid who has loads of talent but needs development from playing at that level?

If it was your job on the line what would you do?

Now FFP might make a difference to that kind of decision making but I remain to be convinced.

Absolutely. That was the point I was trying to make is that at Southampton, all there IS is a path to the first team because talent most likely isn't coming from somewhere else. As I was saying, City's management can claim they expect to see results but they also have to let the guys come through. 

I think an argument could be made that Giggs/Scholes/Beckham turned out to be just as good as anything United could have hoped to sign from abroad. 

I'll be interested to see the 11, but unfortunately I can't make it away from work today barring a miracle - and those are typically the games I get messages from about players putting in genius performances - so I feel confident about this one.

Get passed this one and I think we're in good shape.  But as all of us have talked about, I'd love to see Kolo get worked in one of these next two matches.

Disappointed to see no Mario/ a two. 

Happy it's a strong side. Made up for Ibe to make his European bow. Along with Sturridge. Go figure?

Sticking to my 3-0 comfortable prediction. 

Mighty Reds. 

Hail. 

I'll take it.

Jordan Ibe was MOTM for me.  Not even close.

Balotelli - I think he has this Liverpool thing figured out. 

6 goals to nil with the partnership playing.

Disappointed to see no Mario/ a two. 

Happy it's a strong side. Made up for Ibe to make his European bow. Along with Sturridge. Go figure?

Sticking to my 3-0 comfortable prediction. 

Mighty Reds. 

Hail. 

He came in late though, no less than TWO brilliant touches springing odd man rushes (as we say in hockey) only to be spoiled by Henderson.

He's ready, bro.

• Like 1

Balotelli - I think he has this Liverpool thing figured out. 

6 goals to nil with the partnership playing.

He came in late though, no less than TWO brilliant touches springing odd man rushes (as we say in hockey) only to be spoiled by Henderson.

He's ready, bro.

He's always been ready. 

Just we have a klutz of a manager who had no concept of how to play him to his strength.

'Mario Fantastico, Mario Magnifico ..... '

Hail. 

He's always been ready. 

Just we have a klutz of a manager who had no concept of how to play him to his strength.

'Mario Fantastico, Mario Magnifico ..... '

Hail.

He seems to be getting a lot of bad press for forcing his way on to the pentaly spot. I don't see the problem. You want guys to have the confidence to demand to take the shot and the skill to back it up. He showed everything you want there. It may have seemed disrespectful, but I think Hendo should have backed off earlier.

• Like 2

He seems to be getting a lot of bad press for forcing his way on to the pentaly spot. I don't see the problem. You want guys to have the confidence to demand to take the shot and the skill to back it up. He showed everything you want there. It may have seemed disrespectful, but I think Hendo should have backed off earlier.

Apparently Gerrard on the live TV broadcast wasn't impressed and said the Captain has the responsibility and there's an order for a reason. (Not like Stevie to show his ego. <Old rolling eyes smiley>). 

Mario has missed one penalty his entire career. He was one of the guys to calmly score twice from the spot the mammoth shoot-out with Middlesbrough earlier this year.

There's no Earthly reason why he shouldn't be second in line behind Steven regardless. 

Hail. 

• Like 1

And last pen Daniel took, with no pressure, was at United last year and he was just trying to salt away a hat trick (EDIT: and he missed it).

Hendo had spoiled at least two great moves on the counter in the previous 10 minutes - he was in no right mind to take it.

For me, it's much ado about nothing. 

I love the music dude chose here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kKn39EV6e8

Edited by DC9
  • Like 1

Swansea downs ManU twice this season, and damn Arsenal never makes it easy, just like the Redskins.  Thank god for the post or else we would have dropped 2 points, even though we didn't deserve the win and 3 points at Crystal Palace, but I'll take it and a spot over United in the top 4.