Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Leeds and Forrest also in on the FFP embargo.  What do you think Morrison J, MartinC and that one Forrest fan I know is floating about?

http://www.football-league.co.uk/news/article/2014/championship-financial-fair-play-season-201314-submissions-2144136.aspx

Also, oldest footage of a football match dating to 1898 featuring Rovers and West Brom.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2877268/Blackburn-West-Brom-feature-oldest-footage-football-match-dating-1898.html

So no Moreno. No Manquillo. NO Can. AGAIN! And NO Forwards.

In a must win cuo tie at lower league opposition. With Henderson neither use nir ornament out wide.

The sooner this Irish **** is gone the better!

RODGERS OUT!

Hail.

Please... where else are we going to get a revolutionary shape like a 3-7-0?

• Like 1

For me, that was obviously the best effort in a while.  Effort being the key word.  I know it's Bournemouth, but they had what, 12 games unbeaten coming in?

So the loaded midfield (that I wanted a couple of pages back) hid the defensive issues with possession on the ball.

The Markovic to Hendo to Sterling goal was the most patient I'd seen since Suarez and Sturridge last year.  Excellent movement and patience to bring everyone over to one side and find Hendo at the back post and Sterling late.  Sterling needed a game like this and I'm glad BR left him on to try for the hat trick, you could see it meant a lot to him.

Now, the defense, jo - Sakho was DREADFUL early on.  I know it's his first game back but he was dreadful.  He marked better and cleared better the last 20 minutes, but I think he got away with a penalty (sloppy if not a penalty) and laziness (the post shot) to go along with being out of position when Bournmouth got their goal off the wing.  But he was coming back off injury so I'll let that slide.

I like the 3 back with Lucas, not gonna lie.  And I really like Markovic.

A lot to like about this game - give us Bony and Memo in January and who knows. 

Just remember, THIS is how we are built to play.  Not 4-2-3-1 - that's why in all seriousness I was intrigued by loading up on midfielders.  Looked a lot like what Arsenal were last year with a lot of possession but not a lot of bite in the final third.

For me, that was obviously the best effort in a while.  Effort being the key word.  I know it's Bournemouth, but they had what, 12 games unbeaten coming in?

So the loaded midfield (that I wanted a couple of pages back) hid the defensive issues with possession on the ball.

The Markovic to Hendo to Sterling goal was the most patient I'd seen since Suarez and Sturridge last year.  Excellent movement and patience to bring everyone over to one side and find Hendo at the back post and Sterling late.  Sterling needed a game like this and I'm glad BR left him on to try for the hat trick, you could see it meant a lot to him.

Now, the defense, jo - Sakho was DREADFUL early on.  I know it's his first game back but he was dreadful.  He marked better and cleared better the last 20 minutes, but I think he got away with a penalty (sloppy if not a penalty) and laziness (the post shot) to go along with being out of position when Bournmouth got their goal off the wing.  But he was coming back off injury so I'll let that slide.

I like the 3 back with Lucas, not gonna lie.  And I really like Markovic.

A lot to like about this game - give us Bony and Memo in January and who knows. 

Just remember, THIS is how we are built to play.  Not 4-2-3-1 - that's why in all seriousness I was intrigued by loading up on midfielders.  Looked a lot like what Arsenal were last year with a lot of possession but not a lot of bite in the final third.

I don't like a back 3...especially if that keeps Lucas on the pitch (as much as I love Lucas). I think it's too early to judge Sakho as he is just getting his legs under him. I would love to see a double Dortmund raid in January (Hummels and Reus). I would much rather get Cech than Ochoa. I am intrigued by the young Italian keeper. I haven't seen him play, but anyone dubbed the next Buffon can play on my team any day. I think Lallana should start every game from now on.

OMG!!!!!!!!

That's right!!!! You better be scared!!!!

I don't like a back 3...especially if that keeps Lucas on the pitch (as much as I love Lucas). I think it's too early to judge Sakho as he is just getting his legs under him. I would love to see a double Dortmund raid in January (Hummels and Reus). I would much rather get Cech than Ochoa. I am intrigued by the young Italian keeper. I haven't seen him play, but anyone dubbed the next Buffon can play on my team any day. I think Lallana should start every game from now on.

I actually prefer it if you play it right.  And if you set it up right you can make it very defensive in a hurry.

The way I'd have it set up is close to what BR did (and this assumes we're all healthy) but here's how we should look in January:

Ochoa

Sakho Skrtel Toure

Sterling, Hendo/Gerrard, Coutinho, Lallana, Markovic

Balo/Bony, Danny

If you get a decent lead with that then you simply sub in Manquillo for Markovic, Moreno for Sterling and the Lucas for Coutinho. 

This shape will get buckets.

What Brendan did - I don't think there was much of a method to it, but it worked against a weakened Championship Side.

I also agree, Sakho will be fine going forward, I was just letting you know where the hole was yesterday.  That and Bournemouth's LW was outstanding and Toure couldn't keep up with him.

OMG!!!!!!!!

Ahem...

Joe Allen, JOE ALLEN!

Been here three years and you've cost me tears!

Joe Allen, JOE ALLEN!

Been here three years.... SO MANY BEERS!

Joe Allen, JOE ALLEN!

You're five-foot-two with eyes of blue

You've been here three years and I don't know WHAT you do

Joe Allen, JOE ALLEN!

The spoken word...

-For 99% of teams, crosses are poor sources of goals—it's a low percentage endeavor. Why invest manpower out there when the goals are in the center of the field? Defend the area in front of goal well and it's a moot point.

-With the popularity of lone strikers, why dedicate 4 people to defend one guy when there's (supposedly) more players to contend with right behind him

-http://spielverlagerung.com/2014/07/21/three-at-the-back-chains-and-variations-of-it/

here's a good write-up on some of the common arrangements in the back that have popped up again/recently (back 3s, pendulating back 4s, 5-chains)

When you play a back 3 you are weak on the wings. That is one of the reasons I hate that formation

Moreno and Johnson are ironically the best two players we have to play the wingback role.

I don't much care for a three either (certainly not with our three. You really need ball playing defenders. We have none. You'd be looking at Toure deeper as a libero. Got the brain and ability. Just no legs); but this would be the best formation to get the best, Hell, ANYTHING, out of Johnson. And Moreno is great going forward on the left and can defend too.

I just don't see how you accommodate Sterling shy of giving him a free role like Evans gave McManaman when he went to a three and wingbacks. Which leaves the Coutinho problem. If you played both him and Raheem, then that leaves you with one more in the middle who would have to be your work horse and stay disciplined enough within his protecting/ ball winning role doing the dirty work. That for me would of been Henderson but he's been utter wank since he got the vice captaincy (average, limited players usually look exactly that when it's not firing like last year and there's nobody standing out around them); so I'd go Can as Steven is past doing that now. So there's your captain out of the side. Or else you play him and only one of either Phillipe or Raheem. With Mario just off Daniel. IF Sturridge EVER gets fit again.

The wingback system can be very effective but you need the right personnel and right league to play it.

I don't believe we have them nor do I believe this is the league.

If he goes out with this new system of the last two games Sunday I see Sanchez destroying us with nobody picking him up.

That's why you need pace on the wing.  I scratched my head at Henderson out there. 

Play a three in England, with either no natural attacking fullbacks/ wingbacks wide of them or no natural wingers who won't track back and defend; and you'll get ripped to shreds defensively.

You'll be great going forward, but equally as open at the back.

Best hope you're gonna' score more than the opposition and be prepared to concede a lot.

Exciting but risky.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven