Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: showtime versus the predator

themurf

thomas081110.jpg

(courtesy photo)

Back in September of 2008, rookie safety Chris Horton made a lasting impression in his first career start with the Washington Redskins.

In a Week 2 matchup, the New Orleans Saints committed three turnovers. All three ended up in the hands of Horton, who was thrust into the starting lineup only after an illness forced Reed Doughty out of the lineup.

The seventh-round draft pick was all over the field – recovering a fumble and intercepting Saints quarterback Drew Brees twice during Washington’s 29-24 victory. The effort was impressive enough that Redskins defensive coordinator Greg Blache borrowed a phrase from hockey, dubbing Horton’s feat a “hat trick.”

That week, Horton was given the nickname “The Predator” by a high schooler who happens to be my next-door neighbor. I posted something here on my website and, from that moment on, the nickname stuck.

Everywhere you look, whether in Sports Illustrated articles or on Horton’s personal website, his nickname of “The Predator” can be found.

Now, here’s where things get interesting.

Last month, nearly two full years later, Redskins receiver Devin Thomas took time out of his busy offseason schedule of modeling, appearing in music videos and hanging out with former Dancin’ with the Stars contestants to go see the new “Predators” remake, starring Adrien Brody.

Apparently the third-year receiver liked the movie, because he went on Twitter as soon as the movie and began referring to himself of “The Predator.” When fans pointed out that one of his teammates already had that nickname, Thomas posted the following:

“im the real predator chris just has the dreads!”

With that in mind, I caught up with Thomas to address the situation and to see why he felt, after two years, he should take over rights to the nickname. I mean, it was my website that got this whole thing started anyway.

“You shouldn’t have given him that nickname,” Thomas said. “The man never watches the movies. I have ‘The Predator’ on my ribs. The ribs!?! Who gets ‘The Predator’ tattooed on their ribs unless they’re really about ‘The Predator?’

“I’m about ‘The Predator,’” he continued. “I don’t have the dreads. He has the dreads, yes. So he might look like ‘The Predator.’ But when it comes to the real name, the movie, the concept of Dutch, Dillon, Billy, Poncho, Hawkins and all of the characters from the first movie – that’s me. I’m ‘The Predator.’

.”

Have you talked to Horton about this? Do we need to set up something so you two can talk this out?

“If you want to,” Thomas said. “We talked about it a year or two ago when ‘The Predator’ stuff first popped up, and he didn’t really know about the movies. So I was already a little upset back then. He got the nickname ‘The Predator’ because of the dreads, but he doesn’t really know about ‘The Predator.’”

Apparently this beef has escalated to the point that teammates are being asked to pick sides.

Click here for the full article.

I heard one of the radio beat guys yesterday talking about how Thomas loves the girls and the nightlife. Apparently, that's been a very high priority for him. I got flashbacks of Rod Gardner :doh:. Wonderful physical talent, but a knucklehead, and that just doesn't cut it in the NFL.

I think he needs to work harder and care less about the other stuff.

You do realize that this entire "feud" is light hearted, right? I mean, it's not something keeping Thomas up at night or something preventing him from learning the new offense. He loves the movies. Horton already had the nickname. Both guys get along very well and were laughing it up the entire time we chatted about it.

Not everything is that serious, man.

awesome freaking article.

"the predator" so clearly belongs to horton, it's not even funny. there are a million reasons. to wit:

1. horton actually looks like the predator

2. devin thomas did a magazine shoot in footed pajamas

3. thomas had a different nickname, all over his website, before horton ever became the predator. if thomas wanted "predator," he should have picked it first

4. though neither are stars, horton has contributed WAY, WAY more over the span of their short careers to this team than has thomas. the better players should get the choice of nickname

5. DEVIN THOMAS POSED IN FOOTED PAJAMAS

i could go on. DT needs to drop this futile conflict and carry horton's pads to practice.

First of all, Predator doesn't even make sense for an offensive player. Second, the dreads will always win this battle. Third, Devin, you already have an awesome nickname, dumbass. By some miracle, you landed a first name and a number that result in the perfect combination for a wide receiver. Devin-Eleven: Open 24 hours a day. Marketing teams would kill for that sort of thing to fall in their lap. Use it, for God's sake.

By some miracle, you landed a first name and a number that result in the perfect combination for a wide receiver. Devin-Eleven: Open 24 hours a day. Marketing teams would kill for that sort of thing to fall in their lap. Use it, for God's sake.

another excellent point. the odds against this combination are astronomical.

except i think my shirt would say:

Devin-Eleven

Open 24/7

this is gold.

awesome freaking article.

"the predator" so clearly belongs to horton, it's not even funny. there are a million reasons. to wit:

1. horton actually looks like the predator

2. devin thomas did a magazine shoot in footed pajamas

3. thomas had a different nickname, all over his website, before horton ever became the predator. if thomas wanted "predator," he should have picked it first

4. though neither are stars, horton has contributed WAY, WAY more over the span of their short careers to this team than has thomas. the better players should get the choice of nickname

5. DEVIN THOMAS POSED IN FOOTED PAJAMAS

i could go on. DT needs to drop this futile conflict and carry horton's pads to practice.

Footed pajamas WTF? seriously should be cut right now. LOL

Devin needs to make some plays and then we, the fans, will anoint him with a nickname. You don't give yourself a nickname, it is given to you. If he has a three touchdown game, he'll probably earn several nicknames.

Next thing we know he'll be trying to steal Fred Davis' nick which IMO is the best on the team: Freddy Delight!

Right now, his nick should be Dead Devin because he has done nothing consistently.

Really??

What about Thomas makes him 'The Predator?' I don't get it. Put that passion you have for the movie to making the team and you then the fans will call you what ever you want. Until then close your mouth.

:logo:

PS - I was really liking this guy but the more I read about him focusing on stuff off the field the more I am not liking Thomas. Get your head in the right place man.

Wow, the backlash against DT...guys, this is LIGHT HEARTED, remember? Granted, the kid needs to focus on making the team right now, but its not his NICKNAME preference going to keep him from being a contributor. He's still pretty much a kid, but hopefully he gets his head on straight soon & has a big year, we need it this year.

Thanks for the article murf!!!

And P.S. The Predator IS Horton, but I like the Devin-Eleven, open 24/7...just my $.02

Wow, the backlash against DT...guys, this is LIGHT HEARTED, remember? Granted, the kid needs to focus on making the team right now, but its not his NICKNAME preference going to keep him from being a contributor. He's still pretty much a kid, but hopefully he gets his head on straight soon & has a big year, we need it this year.

Thanks for the article murf!!!

And P.S. The Predator IS Horton, but I like the Devin-Eleven, open 24/7...just my $.02

Not bad Points. I actually like that.

Archived